Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 15, 2011, 10:22 kanniballl

I really don't see how the iPad will have retina yet.

The iPhone 4's retina screen is 640x960 @ 326 ppi

The match that ppi, the iPad screen would have to be at an insane resolution. More than a small / slim thing like that could handle without a massive or hot CPU. Something like Angry Birds might set it on fire, let alone the FPS stuff the iPad has.

Sure, it would be pretty nice but I don't see that happening next year without some major trade-offs, or variable resolutions when doing anything else besides reading an email/website.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
45. Re: Cleveland man shoots 11-year-old for playing on lawn Jun 14, 2011, 18:02 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 16:54:
In fairness, having a dog running around without a chain or a fence seems kind of dangerous. Danger much easier to control than kids.

In fact, I thought that wasn't legal in most places anymore.

It's called training and discipline, for both canines and kids.

It's legit around here so long as properly trained. Most of the dogs here are fenceless / leashless, I only know of one house that fences their dogs and another that electric fences theirs, meanwhile about 6 others on the block are fenceless and in over 20 years I don't know of any dog attacks / fights / etc on the block. Most start out with electric fence, and once trained disable it.

Our dog (and past dogs) are fine as he sort of considers the front yard "beyond his realm" and rarely even strays there. It's the back yard that his domain. And even on the front, he'll just sit by the house and bark. Meanwhile our lawns are huge and the sidewalk is on the other side of the street so people are quite far away when walking by.

He's like 9 and hasn't left the property unattatended in years (twice chasing a squirrel and came right back). If going for walk he definitely uses the leash though. And is usually only outside for may 30-60 minutes at a time a couple of times per day.

When young though, we keep the dogs tied to a cable between 2 trees when they have to go outside, so they have free reign around the back yard but cannot stray (or reach the corners). But we eventually train them.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 18:33.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

42. Re: Cleveland man shoots 11-year-old for playing on lawn Jun 14, 2011, 16:31 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 16:23:
Why are people so terrified of conflict that they won't confront people about a problem? I do almost daily.

That eventually worked, but even the parents were sometimes oblivious.

We have a dog that spends a lot of time outside and your kid is pestering it
Oh, <child> LOVES dogs
Great, our dog doesn't love strangers approaching it on our property or trying to chase it
I don't understand, why not

Or

Why don't you learn to leash your dog
Because he's trained and hasn't left the property on his own in 5+ years?
Then what's the problem
Because he's not a fan of strangers coming onto our grounds

Like, it's our property but we have to adjust ourselves AROUND them? There house is far away too, it's not like they're next-door neighbors.

Honestly, our dog at the time wasn't usually that bad with strangers and wouldn't give the real young kids a hard time unless they were acting too rough. But still, one bite and the dog's done so it's not something we'd want to risk.

You'd think parents would at least pause at "there's a dog there"

OK, NOW I'm done

-

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 16:40.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > U.K. Charts - Hail to the  King, Baby
19. Re: U.K. Charts - Hail to the  King, Baby Jun 14, 2011, 15:16 kanniballl

Tim wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 08:45:
There's all sorts dear

Chips = thick cut deep fried potatoes
Fries = french fries
Crisps = thinly cut potatoes, deep fried and in ze bag.

And seriously, get used to the fact that English wasn't your invention No offence..

The other month the had a sign up for Fish and Chips at my cafeteria, every now and then they like to have something semi-Ethnic at some of the stations so I thought "cool, fish n chips."

It was fried fish...
And American potato chips... aka Crisps.

I would've settled for fries, but a baggie of crisps? Really?

-Fry, Futurama

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2011, 14:03 kanniballl

Jim wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 10:55:
A photo of those crows perched in the dead birch would make a good background for the website header "All the carnage that's fit to post"

Well, Halloween is only a handful of months away.

If you leave it up until then you can probably make a decent scary setting. I'm sure there is no shortage of films and stories based on creepy trees, so maybe make it a theme.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 14:18.

-Fry, Futurama

30. Re: Cleveland man shoots 11-year-old for playing on lawn Jun 14, 2011, 13:53 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 13:25:

Even in Texas you can't just shoot a child who is doing nothing more maliciously than playing on your lawn. In order to make the "castle" law stick, you'd have to demonstrate that the person you shot was attempting to either break in or damage someone's property. You're gonna have a hard time getting that to stick.

And if kids playing on your lawn bug you, put up a damn fence.

Creston

Eh, we were fine in the back yard without a true fence for almost 15 years with bushes and the neighbor's fence. And never really minded people cutting across the yard via a gap or whatever.

Then for a span of about a year it got pretty bad with the 2 groups I mentioned, but they eventually stopped.

• One side was blocked in with 5' bushes.

• Another side 1/2 blocked with a neighbor's 7' fence

• Another side a mix of 5' bushes and cattle-ranch style fence

• The house

• Just the kids kicking the shed and stuff, staying in *just* our yard instead of roaming around all of them, using our stuff, and I think using our hose and just chilling on our patio furniture.

It stopped eventually.

OK, now I'm done

Again, shooting a kid is unacceptable.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2011, 12:09 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 12:05:
    We don't really have all of the facts of the story anyway. I wandered onto many a strangers lawn to retrieve a baseball or etc when I was a kid. Most adults were smart enough to figure out that I was a kid and not about to squat down like a dog and take a dump on their lawn or something. Your $20,000.00 piece of metal and plastic isn't worth taking a shot at a kid over.
    Oh I was complanining about my stuff, not whatever the heck set off the guy with the gun.

I don't mind that much if they cut across or something quick like that. Retrieving an out-of-control soccer ball or whatever is all fine.

When they're actively playing there, for a while, then it's a bit a of a dick move. Especially when they don't want to leave, and I have to let the dog out.

Hasn't happened in years and I'll finish my rant now.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2011, 12:07 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 12:05:
    Maybe after the fact but generally speaking people learn by doing things first. Expecting parents to police kids 24/7 isn't realistic and other adults should have the reasoning to understand a childs behavior. Anyone who claims this is a parental failure has zero experience as a parent. Kids do stupid things without any logical basis in reality and they do it all the damned time regardless of what you teach them. Someone can tell you about heights but you won't ever really appreciate the lesson in gravity until you fall out of a tree.

Letting five-year-olds (and younger) run several houses away (through large yards) while the parents are inside, not watching them, and instead watching TV and drinking coffee...

Is a parenting fail.

Considering they were in our back yard a good 20+ minutes before anything was done, that's a fail.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 14, 2011, 12:04 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2011, 11:56:
    Do you guys remember what it was like to be a kid?

I'm guessing any of you that grew up in the suburbs spent time running through other people's yards. Yeah, sure, hopefully you weren't a dick and trying to break things, but you still did it. You picked up your bike and rode over to a friend's house around dusk in the middle of the summer and played a giant 15 kid game of manhunt. Since you were in an unfamiliar yard in the first place, and since manhunt needs exponentially more room per added kid, you ran through an entire neighborhood climbing trees in the dark.

And there's absolutely nothing your parents could have done to stop you.

I played on my lawn and I played on my friend's lawn. If I wanted to play on a neighbor's lawn it would only be if I already asked of if they said we could.

I would not play on a stranger's lawn.

And if politely asked to leave I would not be a dick. And would not tell the adult "well maybe you should learn to leash your dog" or whatever nor ask my father to say the same (this happened).

Our individual yards were big enough for hide and seek, though not big enough for teenage manhunt. When we'd have our big man-hunt games it would typically be in a more public area like one of the schools or in the public areas near the baseball field.

And even as young kids we had a rule not to mess with anyone's stuff. Mostly for fairness (like hiding in a shed, when a kid might not want to open it and such).

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Game Reviews
    15. Re: Game Reviews Jun 14, 2011, 11:09 kanniballl

JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 19:15:
    Kythlyn wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:21:
    Most shooters can be completed in a single day. Average campaign length is 6-10 hours.

Most shooters didn't spend 15 years in development.

True, but's it's not like a building or a bridge... where time spent typically is seen in size and quality.

With software, 15 years is an epic amount of time. But that means that all of the tech and stuff they wrote became worthless after a couple of years.

Let's build on the X engine. Oh wait, now the X+2 engine is out. Oh wait, the number of acceptable poly-counts is now a lot more than what we were using. Oh the graphics are really dated now compared to current games. Oh the dev team was fired/quit. Oh the ownership changed hands. Oh the new leader wants to start from scratch. etc.

I'm not forgiving the long development cycle, far from it. But even if it was developed during the full 15 years, I'd say at least 12 years worth of work was thrown into the garbage can.

Therefore I'm not surprised the game is just as long as the rest of the FPS shooters out there that DIDN'T take over a decade to release.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Cleveland man shoots 11-year-old for playing on lawn Jun 14, 2011, 10:35 kanniballl

OK, what the guy did is beyond wrong. I'm not defending him at all, he should go away for a long time.

However I will admit, I find it aggravating when it happens. Kids playing on our front yard and back yard. And the whole "old man yelling get off my yard" typically gets a bad rap (unless he uses a gun in which case he's messed up).

For starters, where we live *everyone* has large yards. It's not like every yard on the block is small except a couple, they're all huge. We even have a baseball field about 0.25 miles away. Yet in the past we had neighbor kids playing on our yard.

One time / era it was our neighbor's really really young kids, but they were too young to let just roam around the neighborhood. We're talking single-digit ages. And where the frell were the parents? Inside their house. The kids were running and throwing things, while 1-2 houses away the parents were inside.

Oh, we didn't know they left our yard.
    Wow, good thing there wasn't a creepy van driving by then, huh?

It was another thing when 12-13 year olds were using our yard as part of a large hide-and-seek game. Using our stuff, trying to open the shed door (which doesn't open easily) and trying to KICK it open. WTF. You're kicking our stuff, and we don't even know you?

Beyond worrying about damage and such, we'd have to worry about injury. For example, we let our dogs roam around the yard to let them stretch, go to the bathroom, etc. So for a little while we had to be careful to make sure kids weren't playing, else worry about the dog going after them. In which case it's obviously our fault

Plus we have a bunch of trees with roots they've tripped over. Meanwhile one neighbor already sued another because their kid broke an ankle running across their yard.

It was more of a vent than anything. Between people not being respectful of other people's property / items / etc. And parents being completely oblivious. I'm not yet at the "angry old man" stage but I can see why someone would reach it. Heck, I don't see why it's made fun of... keep off other people's property.

The guy should still go to jail though. Seriously, a flippin' gun?

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2011, 10:46.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 13, 2011, 14:16 kanniballl

Jim wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 13:57:
    I always LOL at how much people piss and moan when one of these major web sites does a redesign. I have never used Netflix so I don't have a comparison, but whenever Twitter or Youtube has done it in the past, it has generally resulted in a slightly improved user experience, but people complain. When Facebook moves 1 pixel it makes front page on CNN and people complain about it for weeks.

I've never really cared about a website changing things around. Never complained, never read the stories, etc.

As a software developer and website designer, I know people are ALWAYS going to hate even the slightest change.

And I didn't think I would care about Netflix since I hadn't logged on in a few days.

It's... bad.

The whole point of Netflix is being able to find what you want quickly so you can either watch it or rent it.

The changes they made to the website are so counter-intuitive you have to wonder what they were smoking. It takes forever to find what you want, and you have to hover over stuff a whole bunch because you can't always make out the title on the box art.

It's bad.

At least parts of their website have are closer to the old design than the new, but it's still pad.

Before:
    See the box art + title + rating of the film
    Mouse over for synopsis.
    Click "next" to see the next batch in the list / category / etc.

Now:
    See larger box art (no title or anything)
    Hover over for title + synopsis + rating
    hover over the right hand of the screen (no indicator) and the results will start scrolling at about 1 film per second.

I think the search results aren't as bad as the categories, but they were still changed and reduced in functionality.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 13, 2011, 12:39 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 12:30:
    It's actually pretty funny, but I went on a rant (I think here) about how much wasted space there was with the 360 interface and how frustrating it was to not have the items I wanted where I wanted them. Having to click in to movies to get basic details was infuriating. Getting the case art as a huge graphic but the title in tiny text was equally so, as too many movies have either illegible, indiscernible or non-existent case art text, etc.

Now the website operates like the 360. Rather than make one more useful they made the other less so.

I can see why the 360 interface does it that way. They pretty much need 1 app / interface that has to work both on HD screens and SD screens. Yes, some people still hook up their 360s to classic 480 tube TVs. You can only have text and detail so small on those screens until he becomes illegible. Hence the click-to-see-details UI.

Making 2 different UIs depending on resolution is a real pain to develop and a nightmare to support.

But I agree, it's both funny and odd that they adopted the cruddier UI on the PC.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    59. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 13, 2011, 11:39 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 09:29:
    If you watch that first video, you don't get a weapon until like 20 minutes in. That's so lame.

How long do you go without getting a weapon in HL/HL2?
    I know there are large differences between what you're doing in the opening of those two and this one, but I'm still curious.

Hmm, it was a while in Half-Life 1 and Half-Life 2. In both games, on your first play-through as you tried to absorb the environment it probably was many minutes.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 13, 2011, 11:32 kanniballl

As someone who developers software and websites I see both sides to this.

On one hand... the UI stinks. I don't know who they got to redesign it but either that guy needs to be fired or the person that went out and gathered the requirements and did the surverys needs to be fired.

You want UI to make things easier and faster.
  • If you're slowing down the experience by 10x then you're doing something wrong.

• If you're taking up MORE space while showing A LOT LESS info then you're doing something wrong.

• If you're taking out common and popular features, then you're either doing something wrong or your metrics are broken

• If you're making such a sweeping change to the UI then you want to test against a large audience. Maybe opt-in people as Beta testers from some free feature.

• On the other hand, at some point you have to over-haul the UI. New concepts come out, competitors improve on your UI, etc. To remain competitive and to seem modern-looking you have to update every now and then. Maybe something major like a navigation overhaul, maybe minor like some new layouts or CSS styles.

So I'm not with the "what's wrong with the old way" crowd since the old way is just that... old. Meanwhile Amazon or Hulu might've built upon Netflix's UI and made theirs seem better. So Netflix has to do something to improve and tweak.

But this change stinks.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > U.K. Charts - Hail to the  King, Baby
    3. Re: U.K. Charts - Hail to the  King, Baby Jun 13, 2011, 11:23 kanniballl

The UK isn't any different than the US in terms of this.

Even here in the states, poor quality yet overly hyped games will still top the charts for a couple of weeks.

Between hype, giving as gifts, bought reviews, and people not knowing any better the first couple of weeks is a big cash grab for the publishers.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 11:19 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 11:05:
    There's no reason to play a modern single player shooter, they are all shit. Just go play FEAR (ONE) or Half-Life again or something.

Wolfentein and Singularity were OK, I guess.

Eh, that's not completely fair.

Some of the single-player FPS games are alright. They're just a little on the short side and might not be worth the money unless they're on sale or something.

The stories are often interesting enough to keep you going, they're not epic works of fiction but they often get the job done. Why is this happening, what will the epic victory look like, how can I possibly stop them, what's the inevitable plot-twist going to be, etc.

The AI is never anywhere near an actual gamer, but they do well enough between being in numbers and higher stats.

Personally I'm not a fan of gaming online any more. Between acting like jerks and my skills not being up to snuff anymore, I'd rather just chill with a single player campaign.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2011, 11:25.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2011, 10:22 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2011, 10:04:
    Count me among those routing against Lebron and the Heat despite not being much on a NBA fan.

On a totally different subject, I've got the itch for a FPS. Haven't played one in quite some time... was considering giving CoD4:MW a shot. Comments?

I only played CoD4:MW on a console.

As a console shooter, it was quite good. It had some interesting moments, a decent story (for a shooter), and was good all-around.

As a PC shooter, I have no idea. My "guess" is it might feel a little watered down compared to other offerings.

From the single player experience:
  • You play as different people during different parts of the story. Something is going on and you (the player) experience it from different organizations investigating it or dealing with it (US Marines, UK special ops, etc).

• I found one scene/bit in the SP experience shocking. Not disgusting-shocking, but more like "wow, I can't believe decided to do it."

• The main characters were interesting enough, some were even likable

• It's on rails, but it does a good job with it considering.

• The weapons are decent, you can get different variations of the same gun (different scope, silencer, etc).

• The maps / environments are varied enough in: metal ship on rough seas, desert, jungle, etc

• I don't recall how good the AI was, since it's been a while

• As a console game it was worth a rental or a purchase on-sale. By now you should be able to find it at a cheap price.

But as a PC game, no idea.

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 2011, 10:30.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 12, 2011, 23:29 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Jun 12, 2011, 21:39:
    Did anyone REALLY think that DNF would somehow be worth the 90 year wait (give or take a decade)?? The only way it could be is if gave you a handjob while playing and made you a sandwich.

Preferably it would do one before doing the other. Else ALSO have the feature to sanitize accordingly.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 10, 2011, 13:05 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 10, 2011, 12:43:
    I can't seem to get my pepperoni sliced quite as thin as the chains though despite using all sorts of tricks.

What about investing in a deli meat slicer. Those can cut regular meats into paper-thin bits, I imagine it can do the same for pepperoni.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 29.
    < Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo