Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play
8. DCUO Jun 21, 2011, 15:18 kanniballl

This has to hurt DC Universe Online.

• They took a big hit after that whole Sony / SOE / PSN fiasco; they lost a lot of players.

• The fiasco also put their Update on a major delay, and it looks like it delayed their Server Merge as well. Further costing them players.

• Now BOTH of their comic competitors are going Free to Play. That has to hurt.

• 1 is manageable, but it's probably hard to compete with both being free.

As it stands, DCUO needs a large content update and to release more power sets (such as the ones available in Beta).

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 15:25.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 15:16 kanniballl

Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 14:54:
    Narf2029 wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 12:54:
    It was a good ride while it lasted, but if my $15 a month doesn't continue to get me the same stuff it does now the ride is over. If it does, then hurrah so what, business as usual.

That's how LoTRO was when it went F2P. The subscription included everything it did before. The F2P section was just limited, forcing you to buy "nonessential" things like the riding skill, etc. Or pay for additional character slots beyond the (I think 3) you got for free.

For Champions Online...

Continued subscriptions get everything they used to get plus extra "gifts" after extra 100-or-so days (large bag, re-usable heal device, respecs, etc). And every month they get a small stipend/allowance of C-Store points to let you buy stuff you'd normally have to use cash-bought points for.

Thus far all Adventure Packs and such are accessible for free and from what I hear all new content will continue to be free. Though I haven't heard if they're ever going to do a full-out Expansion like CoV or Going Rogue.

The Free To Players lose a lot, but have most of the core game.
  • They do not have access to free-form, only pre-made sets/builds.

• The don't have access to all power sets or travel powers, but they can buy "most" of them.

• They have to pay for stuff like Adventure Packs

• Smaller inventory slots, fewer costume slots, fewer characters, etc.

•  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

6. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 15:12 kanniballl

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 15:02:
    Have they fixed or tweaked the debt system at all recently? I stopped playing, oh, 5 years ago? due to the debt system. I would die so much trying to keep my team mates alive that I was constantly in debt and couldn't keep pace with leveling. Hit 23 or something and quit.

I just started playing it again a little over the weekend. I had to start over, since I had NO idea where my main was at story-wise or where to go for my level.

• I think you're debt free up to or through level 10

• After that, death = debt

• However, to me it looks like they either reduced the debt or it scales as you go up. At level 13-ish it's quite quick to work off -- by the end of a mission I've usually worked off a couple of deaths worth of debt.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 15:20.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2011, 14:25 kanniballl

As bad as some people said GL was, and as much as some people hated casting Ryan as Hal...

I would have flipped... the... frell... out if they dared to cast Jack Black. Ignore the look and the physique, he makes Ryan look like an Oscar-worthy drama actor.

NO No no

Sure, it could've gone the way of Galaxy Quest as a way to mock its own plot / genre. But considering how unfamiliar GL is/was it wouldn't work. A Superman-mocking thing perhaps.

That's one movie I'm glad didn't happen.

-PS-
    Will probably see GL on Friday.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 14:14 kanniballl

Funny.

Just the past weekend I bought a month of City of Hero gametime since I haven't played the game in years and wanted to see how it stood up.

With all of the graphics settings maxed it's pretty decent. The poly count (especially the faces) isn't the highest but the micro-details on some of the costumes are actually better than Champions. Meanwhile it has more and better story going on.

I don't know how they're going to distinguish though.
  • In Champions, the F2P gamers lost the "comprehensive freeform" power selection that separated Champions from CoH. So paying is a lure for some.

• In City, what are they going to do... force which power you get at each level? If it's just micro-stuff then it's not worth the subscription.

• The game is alright, but I wouldn't pay for the monthly fee regularly.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Activision on Image Repair
    36. Re: Activision on Image Repair Jun 21, 2011, 11:02 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 18:16:
    Try touching a screen thats standing in front of you while YOU sit, be sure to get a gymnastic appointment because you gonna have cramps within an hour.

Whenever I use that excuse people call me a wuss.

They don't realize that keeping your arm extended for any point in time is going to either be tiring or hurt depending on how you do it.

Sure it's fine for the occasional quick-hop to check your email / browse the web / etc and is fine for tablets.

But on a desk monitor for 8+ hours a day at work, no thanks. About 1/2 my day is coding/typing while the other half is either using or testing UI (websites, apps, etc). Even using my elbow to pivot is going will still result in pain.

I'd rather carry stuff around or dig ditches, at least then I'm mobile and using my whole body. Keeping your arm extended... reminds me of the scene in the "Punisher" film with Travolta.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
    2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2011, 09:25 kanniballl

I've seen both sides of it.

I've seen the completely clueless Geek that really doesn't know anything. They're essentially cashiers and/or salespeople that maybe know a few buzz words and know how to tell if computer A is faster than computer B (price, GHz, etc). Meanwhile they just pass on the work to the guys in the back (or whatever).

I've also seen some quite knowledgeable guys working there that know quite a bit about computers. Face it, computer geeks need money too and working at a Best Buy isn't the end of the world. They get to work with computers and probably get a decent employee discount on computer stuff. If I was a teenager I'd probably try for a Best Buy gig. Meanwhile, even the smart computer geek has to dumb down his speak: bus speed and cache will go over almost every customer's head.

-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Activision on Image Repair Jun 20, 2011, 16:38 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 15:52:
    Microsoft's commitment to PC gaming is basically chibihead dress up DLC and Casualfare MMO games. They're even shitting up Windows 8 a bit

Windows 7 was actually decent. It mostly gets a bad wrap because (a) it's Microsoft and (b) people hated Vista.

I threw it on laptop that's a couple of years old now (2006? 2007?) and it runs it fine.

On a technical side it has a couple more restricting features than XP, while at the same time allowing for other things.

Then again I haven't been following version 8 so for all I know it's gonna stink.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Activision on Image Repair Jun 20, 2011, 15:10 kanniballl

Yakubs wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 15:06:
    I think that the case is drastically overstated in terms of the reality that I see.

Does this sentence even say anything?

Translations:
  • You're exaggerating.

• You're full of sh!t but I'm either being polite or can't say that on the record. But seriously, go DIAF

• <eyes closed, ears covered> No No didn't see or hear it, so it doesn't exist
  •  
    -Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2011, 12:34 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 20, 2011, 11:50:
    Kanniballl, you can easily resolve any history deficiencies with your library card...

Obviously, or even Wiki will provide some general info on various topics. Obviously I have the money and means.

But between work, after-hours support, and having to read computer programming books/sites to keep myself current...

I'd rather dedicate my free time to reading fiction than learning stuff. I already feel like I'm in school most months because I have to learn X, Y, and Z for work during my free time.

It's something I'd "like" to do, but in the list of accessible things I'd like to do it's not even in my top 10.

Above "history" are things like home maintenance (plumbing and such), cooking, car maintenance, learning to flippin' DANCE, learning Polish, move to a new place, etc. And most of THAT isn't even in my top 10 but it at least involves some activity besides just reading.

Still, my history knowledge is better than average. For example I know the names of all the US presidents in order they served, while I doubt the "average" student today can simply name 10.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2011, 12:42.

-Fry, Futurama

3. American History Jun 20, 2011, 11:01 kanniballl

On one hand, back as a kid I hated history. It was memorizing a bunch of dates and names as opposed to learning "how" to do something (math, science, etc) or at least to think that much about anything (literature, philosophy, etc).

Meanwhile the complaints about the lack of knowledge about the Korean war... I don't think any of my classes through high school covered anything that contemporary. Almost all of the focus was on older stuff (Ancient, Medieval, the Colonial US, etc) and the most recent content I recall learning was WWII. I don't ever recall spending much or any time on stuff like Korea or Vietman.

I did alright and probably know more than the average person, but looking back I wish I knew more. It is interesting to think about the past.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2011, 01:02 kanniballl

Kidney stones suck. I've had 3, on my left side. My dad has had a bunch, and a bunch of relatives on my dads side have them chronically (his brother, his nephew, his father, etc).

My pains were always on my lower left back, but I guess side or maybe even the front are possible.

And if the stones starts moving on it's own the pain can migrate to a lower and more central area on "its way out."

They are not fun.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Athen's Olympic Glory... Jun 17, 2011, 15:43 kanniballl

It reminds me of that scene from an episode of 30 Rock

They go to 'The Chuckle Hut' and think the chuckle sounds good. Until it's revealed what the chuckle is:
    The chuckle is the part of the pig between the tail and anus.

I don't know if that's real, but I'd have a hard time with that. I know just about every piece of the pig is eaten... just never really thought about "that" stuff.

On the other hand, face bacon... considering how good bacon tastes... so long as it was still from a pig I'd probably give it a try.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2011, 15:50.

-Fry, Futurama

62. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 14:44 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 11:05:
    Verno wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 10:50:
    When you start eating your own fresh food that you prepared you'll notice that you fill up very quickly and if you eat the right kinds of foods you'll be filled up for longer periods of time.
    Verno, this is the only part of your post I wouldn't agree with. It certainly isn't true for me. You know that feeling you have of being "stuffed" when you eat too much? I can reach that point and then 30 minutes later eat a large portion of food. My "full meter" doesn't work well.

Kanniballl, losing 200 lbs when that person is 200 lbs (or more) over what most sane people would consider a normal weight (ie.. something on the high end of the normal of BMI) is not a miracle. Simply someone showing dedication and will power.

I was just throwing that line in.

Because of the literal line, that meant someone on blues literally lost 2,000 (2k) lbs.

I was pointing out that it was a typo or something since 200 lbs is feasible (though still a great achievement). 2000, chances are you'd have organ failure by then if not while trying to lose it.

-Fry, Futurama

8. 21 - That's my story and I'm sticking to it Jun 16, 2011, 12:31 kanniballl

-EDIT-
    Eh, never mind was trying to make a joke but it sounded stupid.

Congrats on everything.

-Fry, Futurama

48. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2011, 09:23 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 16, 2011, 02:13:
    blablabla.

There is someone here who has lost a TON of weight - literally....we used to e-mail about it...you still around?

Should tell your story, it is very inspirational and common sensical.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

1 ton = 2,000 lbs
    with different "types" of tons being even more

A person losing 2,000 lbs on Blues, I don't think that's happened.

200 lbs would be a miracle, an insane achievement. But that's only 1/10th of a ton.

-Fry, Futurama

38. Re: Passive Aggressive Co-Workers. Jun 15, 2011, 17:45 kanniballl

jimnms wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 16:44:
    He was a hunt and peck typist, and one day when he wasn't there, I swapped two random keys around on his keyboard. I got lucky that one of them was in his password. It took him hours to figure it out. The other guy had to step outside a couple of times because he couldn't hold back the laughter.
    LOL

That is good.

Hopefully you never got found out, or the guy had a good sense of humor about it.

-Fry, Futurama

29. Re: crazy but true Jun 15, 2011, 14:15 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 14:12:
    Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:42:
    Eat right all the time and you can be lazy as fuck and lose weight.
    Exactly, 100% correct.

Umm, no

If you're lazy all the time then I take that to be "sit on the couch and watch tv / play videogames all day" No outdoor activity.

Eating the healthy amount will out-weigh the laziness if you're super-lazy. Unless you mean healthy = 1/4 the calories and such recommended, my understanding is you should never cut that back by TOO much % for long-term but some % for long term is fine.

Maybe when you're young and your metabolism is fast you can get away with laziness. In which case power to you.

But as you get older, forget about it. You need physical activity at that point, even if it's just walks + lawn work + etc.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 14:24.

-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: crazy but true Jun 15, 2011, 14:05 kanniballl

space captain wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 13:45:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 11:59:
    Fat has calories. There are calories which are not fat. Gaining weight is simply about eating more calories than you burn. Satisfied?

not really because your thesis is so oversimplified as to basically be irrelevant, period

Eh, there are things like glandular disorders and various other things that can play a role but I doubt that affects a huge number of people. And then there's the endless spiral/cycle of emotion / personal image / depression / etc that messes with people psychologically (I imagine this is a larger number).

I'm big, WAY too big.

About 12 years ago I was still way too big but not as bad.
    For about a year I was working some physical stuff at a store, working in the back moving some real heavy stuff by hand. Loading/Unloading trucks carrying gravel and stuff for lawns/driveways/etc. Every day was a work-out.

I lost weight, but even after a whole year of doing that AND cutting down my meals and removing deserts/sodas/etc... it wasn't a huge percent. I was still way big.

It's obviously possible to lose weight, but it's not like anyone can lose 100 lbs in a TV season like "The Biggest Loser." Not anyone can forgo a job for a year and have a personal trainer ride them 24/7.

If someone temporary put on 10 lbs and lost it quickly in a month, then it was probably mostly water weight. Good for them, but it's not the same for someone that has a lot of weight to lose. 10 lbs in a month for one does not mean 120 lbs in a year for another.

Just throwing my 2-cents in the ring.

It sounds silly, but it reminds me of Hugo from "Lost." The guy was big, someone in rl said to me "he's been on that island for 40-days he should be super-skinny." I looked at him and said "wtf are you smoking, nobody is going to go from that to super-skinny in 40-days." But some people think it easy to transform like that.

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 14:13.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DNF Review Dust Up
    37. Re: DNF Review Dust Up Jun 15, 2011, 12:16 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Jun 15, 2011, 12:11:
    People are probably gauging how close it is to being worth its 12-year development cycle with the review scores.

So a 50% means it would Have been worth the wait if it took 6 years.
    I think that's part of the problem, though I haven't played it.

I've talked to some people and they keep saying, in a non-sarcastic tone, that the quality and such isn't what you'd expect some guys working on it for 12 years straight. One mentioned his job as an analogy, building a physical product the whole time.

I try to explain that between passing hands, and throwing out most of their old code every couple of years due to it being obsolete, you can't really gauge it on that. That Quake-2 era AI/polygon/texture/etc work is probably all long-since destroyed. That stuff written around FarCry is also probably a lost memory. etc

Compare it to any other cookie-cutter FPS and it's probably par for the course. But again, I haven't played it and probably won't until it's on sale.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 15, 2011, 12:22.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 28.
    < Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo