Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 11:43 kanniballl

Sunday night was the town's fireworks, it was very over-cast so you really couldn't see them. Just the overall colored-flare lightning up the clouds. We could hear them from the house fine.

Actually, I could hear the fireworks on Monday even better and they were a town over.

What's odd is that while my dog HATES thunder, he's fairly indifferent about fireworks. He doesn't even seem to mind the grand finales.

But if a Thunderstorm is on its way he starts hiding.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Creep App Counting Chicks Jul 5, 2011, 11:34 kanniballl

I saw a few articles about this in the last couple of weeks, oddly enough this is the first time I saw it referred to as "creepy." Usually it's pointing out that it's interesting and/or useful.

Both genders can use it for many reasons, but I can see why some might not like it. In the grand scheme of things I guess it makes sense. Heck that's one of the jobs of a bouncer, to try to keep the ratio right.

- Do you want to find a date?
- Do you want to avoid being in the minority and thus hassled by someone making a pass at you every 30 seconds?
- etc

Go to the app and find a bar with a favorable ratio.

I guess so long as they don't up the facial recognition so it becomes a stalker tool (find me a bar with <EX_GIRLFRIEND>) then it's alright.
Or let you scroll through the faces to find someone.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 11:40.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Windows Ms. 'Splosion Man?
1. Re: Windows Ms. 'Splosion Man? Jul 5, 2011, 11:32 kanniballl

So is it the same as 'Splosion Man...

But with a red bow on top?

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Adding Microtransactions
7. Re: DC Universe Online Adding Microtransactions Jul 1, 2011, 22:59 kanniballl

Slashman wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 19:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 1, 2011, 18:21:
This mmo is worth paying very little for and just running through once and getting out. The updates are at a snails pace, you can't afford that these days.

Which is the baffling thing. It's like there was no foresight involved. No one thought that they needed to add regular content updates after they got it out the door. I mean really? MMOs aren't really meant to be stagnant. They need to keep adding things to keep players interested.

Vague promises don't actually count...

I gave up on the game a while ago...

But in their defense, they were *supposedly* trying for monthly (or near-monthly) updates. Between Holiday content and the various Trial additions, they were trickling minor (and cruddy) content updates.

Major-Update-#3 was due a WHILE ago but I guess they got completely screwed due to the whole outage thing.

I might hop into the game again in the future, but only if they add something substantial... like some of the PowerSets that were available during Beta.

It's a super hero game... without staple "powers" like super strength / invulnerability. So if you want a Superman-type hero, they recommend "Ice." Which is great, unless you don't mind your carefully crafted costume hero to turn into a Frost giant every 2 minutes.

Super Strength (or some sort of basic Brick) and energy emission beyond flames or purple-forhead-mental-attacks are a must for a super hero game.

Anyway, it's sad. I know it's Sony but I had high hopes. The game had so much promise but they dropped the ball in too many places.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2011, 23:13.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Do I want 3D? Jun 29, 2011, 11:57 kanniballl

It depends.

If we're talking true 3D holograms that you can see "around" and such, then that would be cool for some select situations.

If we're talking about stuff like the Nintendo 3DS and various TVs, then no. I really don't care for it. Ignoring the fact that I have a slight astigmatism in one eye making it harder for me to enjoy that film effect, even when I see it I rarely care about it.

Then again, I'd really like to some day have access to a Star-Trek styled holodeck. But I doubt that'll be around for at least a century.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2011, 11:53 kanniballl

For a walking trash can that can only make a small number of beeps and whistles...

That metal guy had a lot of character, arguably more than half the Star Wars cast.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Capcom tries to kill used video game sales with the one-save game Jun 28, 2011, 13:53 kanniballl

Wow. Just wow. I'm hoping this is just some libel filth or the reporter got hit in the head.

The games that I loved, I mean truly cherised, I've gone back to time and time again. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, UN Squadron... countless consoles and PC games ranging from the Intellivision -> Commodore 64/128 -> my current PC rig. I mean a LOT of stuff.

Sure, most of the games now-a-days I only play through once with the exception of some casual stuff for the consoles and things like Portal. But it wasn't that long ago I dusted off a console and played through Zelda again.

But that is insane.

Hopefully this will not become a trend.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2011, 13:35 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2011, 13:25:
Joe vs. The Volcano, a good flick. I always enjoyed those early Tom Hanks flicks. That and Volunteers in particular. He was funny as hell in that.

Joe was definitely a great film, one of my favorite Hanks flicks.

Heck if you want to take a step sideways there was actually some thoughtful stuff going on. Not Inception or even Total Recall, but whether or not he was dreaming, in a coma, crazy, dead, etc. Mostly due to the surrealism and the fact that so much of his voyage was chronicled on the lamp in the beginning.

Man, I really like some of the 80s/90s comedies more than the stuff we get today. Then again I might just be remembering the "highlights reel" and not the stinkers that I had to sit through.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2011, 13:49.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > OS X Duke Nukem Forever This Summer
15. Re: Now we know why... Jun 27, 2011, 19:43 kanniballl

Antdude wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 19:30:
Back on topic, I haven't been able to discern if the multiplayer will allow Mac users to play against PCs. Back in the day, DN3D Mac was unable to connect with the PC version, so the MP opportunities were already pretty thin. If that hasn't been addressed in this game, I can't imagine that anyone would even bother, even if the MP was better than it seems to be anyway.

From what I've read, Dukematch isn't all that great to begin with...

Tough call.

I imagine that the Patches would have to be synchronized between the two. Doing that would either be difficult or would lag the PC patches.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Now we know why... Jun 27, 2011, 17:59 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 17:07:

That seems more reasonable on Apple's part. Thanks for the info!

No prob, probably more info than you wanted. And even still they're no Alienware.

As mentioned below I got annoyed a BestBuy employee spreading bad info to customers and finally had to set him straight. I have no problem with people choosing any one of a million reasons to not get a Mac, but when a supposed techie salesman is spreading really bad info I finally had to say something.

BestBuy can get bad enough as it is, no reason they have to be THAT wrong.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Now we know why... Jun 27, 2011, 17:02 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 16:55:
Over-priced, sure. But not 1-2 years behind in tech.
iMacs refresh on average every 280 days. Each time they refresh they are on par with the Dell offerings, sometimes better in regards to their notebooks.

Does that include video cards? It seems like every time I've looked at macs in the past, the video is way outdated...

Back in "the day" when they were PPC-based then yes... CPU AND Video Card were years old. And the Apple zealots couldn't be told otherwise; they constantly replied with PPC > i586.

I'm not saying now "they're bleeding edge" but still quite good.

Currently the iMacs are ATI HD 6770M w/ either 512 or 1GB Ram. A quick glance shows they came out in Q4 2010 and are still offered on Dells. Heck by default Dell offers the HD 5670 on the XPS systems with an option to upgrade to the 6770. I believe XPS is their gaming system just-before Alienware.

Sure, it's an M chip but from what I recall the benchmarks were good. Not top-of-the-line good but more than respectable.

Again, I'm not saying "Apple is better." I used it for a while because it made my Java and cross-platform development easier for work. When it died after 4 years I went back to Dell.

Sorry if the above is TMI. I'm just annoyed because I had to listen the other day in r/l to some schmuck going on about how Apple is lame because "they're stil using the failed PPC CPU and needs to get with the times." Meanwhile this was a BestBuy guy trying to tell someone why they should buy a certain PC. I had to tell him to check his facts before spreading bad info. There are a million reasons to not get a Mac, he had to pick the one that doesn't exist.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2011, 17:47.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Now we know why... Jun 27, 2011, 16:47 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 16:34:
kanniballl wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 13:39:
Even the iMacs from a couple of years ago should be able to handle 1024x768 (or the widescreen equivalent) with decent quality settings.
Macs are often a couple years behind in specs compared to PC and overpriced. So imacs from a couple years ago are more like 5 years out of date. And they can only handle gaming if they have a gaming video card.

I'm not defending Macs, I only use them for when I have to dual-develop.

Over-priced, sure. But not 1-2 years behind in tech.
iMacs refresh on average every 280 days. Each time they refresh they are on par with the Dell offerings, sometimes better in regards to their notebooks. So at most a couple of months older in comparison than Dell.

The current iMacs, which are the mid-range models, sport Quad-Core 2.5, 2.7, and 3.1 CPUs. The video cards aren't that bad either.

I was spec'ing out some high-end Dells (though not Alienware) this weekend and their kit was about the same as Apple's. Sure, the Dell was cheaper but about the same performance / kit.

Meanwhile my 2007 MacBook Pro was top-of-the-line, and actually faster than Dell's pro offerings back then.

For the last couple of years, Apple has been staying competitive with their CPUs and Video Cards in their iMacs. The only annoying "times" are when the the new model is on its way in. For those last 1-2 months before the product refresh, the iMac is sporting slower tech. But then once its refreshed again it's on-par with Dell.

So maybe a couple of months behind, but not 1-2 years behind.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2011, 16:52.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: OS X Duke Nukem Forever This Summer Jun 27, 2011, 14:39 kanniballl

SectorEffector wrote on Jun 27, 2011, 14:20:
Oh man, these duke related news are getting old. Let's just get it over with, Where's the story where Duke Nukem Forever is nominated for game of the year at the Spike TV Video Game Awards show.

For the most part, I agree. It was hyped enough over the last 10+ years, you'd think it would've run its course by now.

On the other hand, a big-name title being released on OSX so soon after the PC release is news in itself... be it Duke Nuken or something actually good.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Now we know why... Jun 27, 2011, 13:39 kanniballl

Now we know why it took forever, they were trying to dual-release for Mac (and gave up at the end).

Honestly though, I'd like to see more games released for Macs closer to to the PC launch. I used to use a MacBook Pro as my main rig for the longest time... but went back to PC 1-2 years ago.

I'm a developer, and thus realize coding on one isn't the same as coding on the other. Especially since DirectX won over OpenGL, but considering the Mac is popular now and all of their semi-recent Rigs are fairly hefty it would be nice. Even the iMacs from a couple of years ago should be able to handle 1024x768 (or the widescreen equivalent) with decent quality settings.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 15:19 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 09:18:
Leonard Nimoy's small part in the recent film was OK, but I think it should end there. And as much as I've started to like Shatner for his recent wacky stuff I don't want him in the next Star Trek film.

Trek has got to stop the time travel shit for awhile...it's become nothing but a crutch for when they run out of ideas.

The fact that "Enterprise" started around a time-travel Pilot and general plot-line was quite weak.

For the film, I was OK with it so long as they leave it alone. It was a way to "reboot" the series and do different things without the trekkies flipping out about broken cannon. No matter how many times JJ and company could stand on stage and say "it's a new reality" they wouldn't care and would rage about something wrong with Pike.

Saying "It's different because of time travel" about 20 times in the film though apparently calmed them down.

I'm fine with it, just don't have subsequent films be about more time travel or people from the Prime universe visiting them.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 10:51 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 22, 2011, 09:57:
Ah, yes. The game that made me buy a 3d card.
I wish I could say the same. At the time my parents had a 486 DX-33 which ran the game... poorly. Fortunately Doom and (I think) Duke3D ran fine enough on it.

I think Quake 2 was out by the time I was able to buy my first PC / gaming rig but it was another couple of months until I got a 3D card. I think it was one of the Diamond Monster cards, maybe even the Monster II.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 11:28.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today
25. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Demo Today Jun 22, 2011, 08:43 kanniballl

Cave Johnson wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:41:
Please, please leave the gameplay as-is. All we want is updated graphics and music. Please do what LucasArts did for their Monkey Island reboots. I guarantee you will win a whole new generation of gamers with minimal development costs.

I don't think that works, unless you have a specific word for "classic"

Some games would be fine: Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Privateer, etc.

But...

Doom 1 and Doom 2 - very fun in my youth. However now-a-days you aren't going to win anybody over with a re-hash with a new graphics engine. It was too basic: only movement, activate, shoot. I'd still find it fun, but I doubt it will win anyone over more than CoD or whatever.

Leisure Suit Larry - a fun and funny game with a mix of graphics and text based gaming. I'd get a kick out of it, but honestly that wouldn't fly so well. The whole "type in the commands" thing would probably make the youngsters today want to cut themselves.

Full Throttle (and similar) - I'd enjoy a remake but I doubt the average youngster today would enjoy that kind of game.

I could list more counter examples but you get the idea. As fun as some of the classics were, their mechanics are too primitive for today or were for a different generation.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2011, 08:16 kanniballl

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 17:53:
Good, I don't want to see Shatner in a ST sequel. Let the old crew be done already. I am tired of cross-overs and "passing the torch" BS.

I liked the show 'Enterprise,' I can see why some people didn't but I still liked it.

However the 'Enterprise' series finale was a slap in the face... it was a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode taking place aboard the holodeck. With one of the TNG characters playing out the events of one of the final voyages.

WEAK. Even if you didn't like the show you have to admit that was silly (since TNG ended a LONG time ago).

Leonard Nimoy's small part in the recent film was OK, but I think it should end there. And as much as I've started to like Shatner for his recent wacky stuff I don't want him in the next Star Trek film.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 08:37.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play
12. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 16:01 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 15:56:
The F2P in Champions Online was insulting, ripping out basic functionality to get money was just dumb. They might as well have just kept the subscription.

Probably couldn't. The population numbers were also REALLY bad in Champions before F2P.

I recall shortly before they went, a Saturday afternoon had only 2 or 3 instances of Millenium City with like 70 per. And the other zones were pretty bad too.

I'm pretty sure that without F2P that Champions would've had to fold. F2P brings in more micro transactions, and the increased population gives the Golds a sense of activity.

That being said, it's too shallow of a game for me. With my new rig, I'd rather just play CoH. And with color customization I can stay "in concept" easier than back-in-the-day... though it would be nice to have brawling AND blasting in one toon (without guns/swords).

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play
10. Re: City of Heroes Going Free-to-Play Jun 21, 2011, 15:52 kanniballl

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2011, 15:32:
I poked my head in DCUO the other day just to see what was going on (I still had the free sub going from after the hack) and the beginner area was a ghost town.

And Champions, ugh... I'll probably never play that again because of how gimped the F2P is. In the 30 days after I bought it for like $5 on a Steam sale, I created an Iron Man-type power suit hero and played him up to level 25 or so.

It got REALLY REALLY bad just prior to the hack, I tried a little after and it was still fubar. There are pretty much only 2 or 3 populated servers anymore (like 1 PvE and 2 PvP) which is why they want to go to megaservers/merge.

Meanwhile people keep abandoning their toons to go to filled servers. But even the popular servers aren't THAT popular anymore.

As for Champions, that stinks. I know they are just about to release (or just recently released) the Force F2P powerset, I have no idea when Power Armor is coming up. Actually, my main is now a great Power Armor toon.

I went with a pre-release lifetime which paid for itself by the time I stopped (mostly) playing. I don't play that much anymore but at least all of my toons are freeform.

Really, the only real "advantage" Champions has over City of Heroes is free form. So unless they seriously gimp City of Heroes then I'd rather just play that one for free.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2011, 15:58.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 27.
< Newer [ 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo