Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 12:14 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:59:
Oh, and has anyone else caught Wilfred? A friend mentioned it, and I caught the first two episodes on hulu last night. Bizarre, yet incredibly funny...

I caught the US pilot the other day, it was funny. Weird, but funny.

It's a remake of an Australian series, starring the same guy in the same dog-suit. I only caught a few minutes of an Australian episode but it looked good there too.

It's definitely a weird show but so far I enjoyed it. I don't know how long it will last since "odd" shows don't last that long in the US. But it is airing on FX so that might give it a chance.

I'll probably auto-DVR the thing.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 10:12 kanniballl

We have one the next town over, though I haven't been there in years... perhaps over a decade.

Odd semi-related question...

Are wild cherry Icee's supposed to be red?

I went to the movie theater the other week for Green Lantern, and figured I'd get a cherry Icee since I haven't had one in a while. It was white and tasted a little funny. The options were wild cherry and some blue thing so I figured wild cherry would be a throw-back to what I used to have as a kid.

Was there something wrong with their machine, like they forgot to add food coloring? Or are they white now?

It was a Leows theater if that means anything, and I *think* the brand was Icee.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 14:03 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 13:07:
No matter what time I set it for I usually wake up 10 minutes earlier. ...

I pretty much have to do 24/7 support calls for one of our servers. My calls were usually at 3AM.

After a particularly bad couple of weeks of calls, for about the next couple of months my body "woke up" by itself around 3AM without an alarm or phonecall. Of course that stunk because I had to go back to sleep so I could wake up at 6:30.

That never happened to me before, and this is coming from a guy that needs 3-4 snooze alarms in the morning.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2011, 19:41 kanniballl

I went to see a launch when I was really young, it was '82 or '83 so it was pretty early in the shuttle program. I actually remember a little bit of it.

It's sad to see it end. It would be nice if they'd simply had replaced it with something new and exciting. I think back then I was hoping we'd have futuristic space flight, like those fighters from Buck Rogers (Gil Gerard's version).

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2011, 12:18 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 7, 2011, 11:33:
West?! **** that! Put Keaton in there!

Keaton will always be my film Batman, with Kevin Conroy my TV Batman (that voice is drilled into my skull).

I'm not surprised though, Adam West keeps appearing in the various TV spin-offs. Either he can't let go or the creators keep thinking the fans demand him, heck maybe the fans DO demand him.

Don't get me wrong, he's quite memorable and it's hard to think of Batman without the old *BAM* *POW* popping into your brain for a second.

Personally I think a Keaton cameo would be great but I doubt it will happen.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Star Trek on Tap Jul 7, 2011, 08:44 kanniballl

Cool I guess.

I'm not that huge of a fan of the original series, but I might watch a few of the more memorable episodes.

I caught up on a lot of Star Trek Voyager the last few days on Netflix. I focused there becase Next Generation and Enterprise are on a lot now (SyFy + BBC America) and Deep Space 9 was on a lot just a couple of years ago. But I haven't seen any Voyager anywhere.

I'll use the opportunity to catch up on some of those shows even if only for nostalgia's sake.

-Fry, Futurama

29. Re: Differences Jul 7, 2011, 08:24 kanniballl

Personally, I don't follow the politics as well as others and can't analyse "he did this" or "they did that."

I recall learning back in high school that in general, a lot of the problems AND successes are often due to the mistakes or work by previous administrations. Either in part or in whole, so the condemnation or praise a president gets for something is often not 100% warranted. I learned that it was in general, as opposed to the earlier debate of Democrat long-term vs Republican long-term.

I agree with the posters saying our economic situation has been a while coming and that the current administration isn't really to blame. If a sinking ship is already pretty far gone, changing captains is only going to do so much.

I think Obama is doing an alright job: not incredible but not horrible either.

However I was expecting, or at least hoping for, "more." Not from his election speeches (which really don't mean anything) but just from the fact that I thought W was just so bad that anything else would be a real improvement.

It's like hating your previous boss or professor. When you go to your next job or class you think "ah, fresh start this is going to be great." Just because the last guy was the devil doesn't mean the next guy is going to be the second coming, even though part of you thinks/hopes he will be. The universe isn't that balanced or fair.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 08:56.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Torchlight Sells a Million
10. Re: Torchlight Sell a Million Jul 7, 2011, 08:07 kanniballl

I just picked it up for like $3 the other day from a Steam sale, it was like 80% or 85% off and later went to 50% off. I'll try it this weekend.

I recall trying the demo some time ago and thought it was interesting but didn't get around to playing it.

I figure for $3 I can't go wrong. Even if I flat-out hate it, $3 is nothing. It's like renting a movie you wound up not liking.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2011, 08:31.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Differences Jul 6, 2011, 13:10 kanniballl

CalmDragon wrote on Jul 6, 2011, 12:49:
Not so different. One has a master's in business administration, the other in philosophy. Both became leaders in their area of the world, both travel a lot. Your opinion of one or the other is what seperates them from each other. Rule your mind.

One is world-renowned for clearing his mind through years of meditation.

The other is world-renowned for an empty skull due to years of drinking.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B
16. Re: 2011 Games Industry to Top $74B Jul 6, 2011, 13:08 kanniballl

Only slightly off-topic

I'd love to see more 2D games: side scrollers and such, with some modern graphics/resolution.

I know there's the occasional one, but I have to think that there's still a casual gamer demand for these things.

Heck I was thinking about picking up the Nintendo DS "Green Lantern" game because the commercial made it look like an interesting 2D game.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 6, 2011, 11:05 kanniballl

So...

Pilots can use an iPad in the cockpit about 3' from the instruments during flight or to lookup stuff for landing...

But I can't use my iPad in the passenger section?

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 6, 2011, 10:17 kanniballl

Too late now, but I figure I'll chime in.

Torchlight was like 80% off on Steam the other day. I picked it up for (I think) under $3. I think it's down to 50% off now.

I think I'll give it a shot this weekend.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Trion on Free RIFT Transfers
25. Re: Trion on Free RIFT Transfers Jul 6, 2011, 09:38 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 11:25:
Of course not, it's a fucking database flag. It always kind of galled me that Blizzard charged for something that is entirely automated through scripts. They always used the support staff excuse but those people already existed for other departments.

It depends on how it was designed. I'm not saying it should cost anything. Considering most games have made it an automated process, charging $8 or something to auto-run a script is insane.

But chances are it's more than a flag or changing a foreign key to point to server 12 instead of server 3.

• Maybe they have different schemas or even database-servers for each game-server. To let each DB server have its own table space to keep maintenance/performance up there

• Maybe they decided to use the toon-name as a primary or otherwise unique key

• etc

•  
    -Fry, Futurama

21. The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History. Jul 6, 2011, 00:26 kanniballl

The 13 Most Common Brain Farts in Human History.

A good list, I do a bunch of those from time to time.

Though in "Human History," it's a bit of a exaggeration. Considering some of those items have only been possible for the last few years or decades I'm sure there are a bunch of things from the old days.

Now THAT would be an interesting list. Something farm-oriented or some various brain farts from the beginning of the industrial age.

I might not be able to relate to those, but it would be interesting. Like "leaving the barn door open" or "forgetting to put the block of ice back in the ice box" I'm sure there has to be some Readers Digest versions of this list from various eras.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2011, 00:21 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 23:13:
    Would I be safer with a helmet when taking my neighborhood rides? It would reduce my risk by some small amount. But my spin would be, my risk is already so low the inconvenience and minor discomfort of wearing the helmet is "not worth it." If you, nin, or anyone else wants to consider that risky (or worse) behavior -- that is certainly your right. Cheers.

I consider motor biking and cycling in 2 separate categories. Cyclists... there are varying degrees of risk. Though you're usually going only 20 MpH in a low traffic zone.

While I believe cyclists should wear helmets (especially the idiots) I'm not going to wag my finger. The idiots though, sigh, too many near misses. Hmm let's ride the opposite direction on a 50MpH road... fun.

Motorbikes though, that's a big difference in my boat. Someone messes up (biker or car) and splat. The helmet helps a lot in that case.

Should it be a law? Tough call.
    I believe in 100% always wearing a seat belt but don't think that should be a law. This is fairly similar.

I won't wag my finger at them either, it's their call. If I see someone riding like an idiot without one though I might feel they're selfish. If the helmet could've saved them, then they decided being more comfortable was more important than their family or the poor SOB that has to live with partaking in the death of another.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2011, 00:35.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 23:05 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 20:41:
    Has anyone ever correlated the breed to the behavior?

I've had Boxers my whole life and never had a dog afraid of fireworks or thunder.

On the forums, no. But I'm sure there are studies.

For example, I'd imagine that dogs used in war zones are usually from some breeds more than others. Besides training, I imagine "reaction to explosions + gunfire" factors in.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 16:38 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 16:08:
    1 of my 3 labs still won't go outside after fireworks the last few nights. He stays in the basement at the bottom of the stairs (not such a bad thing, it is cooler) and freaks out.

My ex co-worker had strange dogs. They would actually wanted to go outside in thunder storms. Inside they would freak out, hide, bark, indicate they wanted out, etc. But outside they were happy and relaxed. We had no idea why, maybe the walls vibrating gave a scary/unstable sound? Weird, you'd think flashing lights and (I imagine) louder thunder claps would scare them more.

One of our older dogs (r.i.p.) used to scramble underneath my grandparents' bed whenever there was thunder OR fireworks. She really did not like that stuff.

Of course it got less funny when she got older and fatter and couldn't get out from under the bed on her own. We'd have to lift the bed for her to scramble out.

Our current dog has a few hiding places when there's thunder, it kind of depends on where actual people are sitting. Like he'll give up his #1 spot for the #2 or #3 if someone is sitting near them. None of them are under a bed though, mostly under desks and tables that are next to walls/corners. He's almost like an ostrich, he'll just hide his entire head if that's all he can do.

But he's fine during fireworks.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 17:01.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2011, 14:29 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 13:59:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 13:36:
    If you are cycling around the neighborhood I have no grief with riders not wearing helmets. However, if you are getting onto even moderately busy streets I feel it's pretty much a "have to" situation.

I think that's my friend's philosophy, but I'm still not wild about it.

-EDIT-

I used to think that way for bicycles too. Until one day way back in middle school I had a bad crash. I was an idiot and was carrying my tennis racket in a small duffle bag and decided to hook the strap around my handlebar. Admittedly that was just a stupid-kid thing to do.

By the train tracks the handle went into my front spokes and I guess I did a flip.

I woke up with amnesia... fortunately someone saw me crash and called the cops/ambulance. I didn't know my name or recognize my grandma when she came to the accident site (she lived with us).

I was awake for a while after that but I can only remember after a few hours later after my Xth cat scan or whatever.

So I went from "only when it's on main roads" to "always." And that was before I saw how fsking crazy some of the drivers were on our street.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2011, 14:43.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law Jul 5, 2011, 12:30 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 5, 2011, 12:10:
    Sadly, I've seen the same thing. I've heard the attitude of "I know how to ride, I don't need a helmet", when in reality the problem half the time isn't the bike rider, but the cars that simply don't look or see them. And yeah, there's also some crazy cyclists who just seem determined to kill themselves out there.

Yeh, the person I know still has various issues even a couple of years later. And that's WITH a helmet.

Meanwhile the accident was caused by some jerk delivery-truck driver that wasn't paying attention and decided to pull a quick U-Turn on a busy 4-lane street without looking or even stopping.

It doesn't matter how good of a driver you are or think you are, whether you're driving a car, motorcycle, or bicycle. You have to assume there's some other vehicle out there with you in their bullseye and you need to plan accordingly. Wear a helmet or seat belt and try to be as observant as possible.

-Fry, Futurama

3. NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law Jul 5, 2011, 11:49 kanniballl

I know someone that was in a very bad motorcycle accident, so it's hard for me to laugh at the irony in that article. Fortunately the person I knew always wears a helmet, but even with the helmet he suffered some severe head trauma.

Personally I think all bikers and even cyclists should wear a helmet. Going without is selfish, and can ruin the lives of their families and even the other people involved with the accident.

Meanwhile, the cyclists I see during my commute without a helmet are usually the ones that need it the most. The ones with a helmet know "how" to ride and obey the rules, while the ones without go hands-free in the middle of the road against traffic.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 26.
    < Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo