Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders
13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 21, 2011, 11:57 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 11:54:
I've been wanting to do more of a science fiction based MMO (and not EVE), so I'm hoping this might scratch the itch for awhile. But I have no plans to raid like I did in WOW.

It's one of the reasons why I like the super-hero MMO's, they're some of the closest things to sci-fi mmo's right now so long as you make yourself look tech-ish and stay away from the magic enemies / missions.

I used to be a bigger fan of fantasy-settings as a kid: knights / swords / goblins / castles / etc. But I haven't been a major fan of that stuff in years.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 10:41 kanniballl

Capella wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:58:

What did Tyson say in that clip the other day, 5 or .5 cents on the dollar is what NASA cost tax payers? What we need is a new space race to spark interest again. Wonder what happens if another country starts planning a trip to Mars?

Lately it's been about ~0.6% of the federal budget, meaning 0.6-cents (or $0.006) of every dollar spent from the budget.

Since I believe we out-spend our income from taxes I'd say that's less that 0.5-cents for every dollar you spend on Federal taxes. So if you made $60,000 before taxes, then you probably contributed less than $130 to NASA.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: What bugs me... Jul 21, 2011, 08:26 kanniballl

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 13:57:
What bugs me about the whole moon landing "hoax" nonsense is how stubborn the hoax-believers are.

You realize these guys are out to make money right? So naturally they are not in anyway interested in anything other then what supports thier "facts" which sell books, videos, whatever... now the folks who give these people money, well there just morons.

Except one hoax-believer I met was while I was in college. He was a student in a couple of my classes and he was a dyed-in-the-wool believer. He wasn't making money off and didn't have a website or anything. As mentioned, he was stubborn but not to the extreme points as some of the people you see on TV.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: What bugs me... Jul 20, 2011, 11:44 kanniballl

MajorD wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 11:35:
kanniballl wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 11:17:
What bugs me about the whole moon landing "hoax" nonsense is how stubborn the hoax-believers are.

All things eventually come out in the wash, and if this was a hoax, it would have come out by now.

I am a firm believer we did land on the moon, for many reasons that I don't have time to list here, but this country is so different now, I wonder if we could do it today. I say that because it seems that most people in this country seem to be so blasť about NASA and its projects and accomplishments these days. The excitement, patriotism, and support just wouldn't be there like it was back then. That is my opinion of course.....

What's sad is that people I've talked to go on about how NASA with its incredibly huge budget is putting a strain on our economy... how it's causing people to go hungry... money would be better spent elsewhere,... etc.

Meanwhile NASA's budget has been really small for the last couple of decades... under 1%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA

I guess that's just the perception people have: that we're spending "quadrillions" of dollars a year to perform high school science experiments and getting nothing out of it.

It's a shame that's how it was perceived; that unless there's an immediate "right now" that something is worthless.

-Fry, Futurama

2. What bugs me... Jul 20, 2011, 11:17 kanniballl

I try to keep an open mind and consider "alternative explanations" to things, I might not believe them but a the least I consider them. Is it "possible" it was a hoax, I guess so but I don't find it likely.

But the stubborn people I've seen on TV (and even had a few classes with in college) refuse to hear anything contrary to their proof.

-This rock has the letter C on it
-Are you sure? it could just be a shadow from some arc'ed crack
-NO, it's definitely a "C" put there by the stage crew.
-But...
-NO, it's so obvious why don't you see!?!?!?

The guy in college was relatively mellow in comparison, but still stubborn. I was willing to listen to his bit but god forbid he have to listen to counter-points.

But the guys on TV, like on the Penn & Tellar episode or the occasional news story... forget about it. I think there was a special on primetime network TV a few years back about it too.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2011, 08:54 kanniballl

the overhead power lines around here can be vulnerable to lightning strikes and falling tree limbs, but at least they're easily accessed for repairs.

Someone I was talking to that works on electrical stuff says he'd prefer working on buried lines. There, it's a conduit you can slide the cables through and such, like working with regular conduit. You don't have to worry about trees, damaged poles, staying on ladders / cherry-pickers / etc.

With trees, I imagine it's a PitA. For example, in my neighborhood / block it was forest / woods until they put in the development 40-50 years ago. They just removed the bare minimum trees to place the houses and have a semi-clear yard. Trimming back the branches near the street is a constant battle that the town doesn't partake in as much as they should so the power / phone lines area all flowing between a spiderweb of branches.

So it's common for a storm /snow / wind to ruin someone's day / evening by taking out power to a block/house/etc.

Meanwhile *some* areas around us buried lines, and all of the houses in town have basements and we have sewers (not septic tanks) so the ground seems to be fine for buried stuff. It's a shame we don't use buried lines, it would make things a lot more pleasant to look at.

And colleagues visiting from Europe were quite surprised at the amount of above-ground wires we have. I guess where they are it's all buried.

Then again, I guess if the conduit breaks underneath (tree root / digging / etc) then threading the cable in would be a PitA too.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 2011, 08:59.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June
9. Re: Videogame Physical Sales Down 10% in June Jul 14, 2011, 23:47 kanniballl

Quboid wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 22:44:
I'm not surprised it's only 8%, the size of the PC section in my local Game has shrunk. It used to be most of the store, now it's a lot less than 8% of the shelf space.

You're lucky, for YEARS my local "game stores" have the like 2-feet of shelf space for games. And that space is shared with their old bargain bin stuff like a beat-up box of War Craft III.

If I want PC games the only physical place that tends to carry them near me is Best Buy.

-Fry, Futurama

4. The Legend of Zelda- A Link to the Portal Gun Jul 14, 2011, 11:26 kanniballl

The Legend of Zelda- A Link to the Portal Gun

LOL, that was good. This one was much better than the Super Mario Bros ones I've see.

Man, Zelda: LttP is my favorite game of all time too.

Silly question, but I wonder how they did that? Did they just re-create all of the artwork and put it into video/art/freeform-game/etc... or did they putz around with an SNES rom, etc.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2011, 13:21.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Hard Reset Announced
16. Re: Hard Reset Announced Jul 14, 2011, 10:20 kanniballl

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 10:14:

Alot of PC gamers cream themselves over the words PC exclusive, and European developers. You can sell a blank disc from Europe that has PC exclusive written with a sharpie on it and people here would be all over it like stink on shit.

I admit, that does get me interested and/or excited... but I've only bought a handful of games that match that criteria.

For me it's kind of like hearing about an upcoming SciFi film that ISN'T part of a big sequel / property. I get excited since it's a rarity but most of the time it winds up being a mindless explosion extravaganza and I just wait for it on HBO or DVD.

But for those few weeks / months when all we have to go on is a tagline and a teaser it's on my mind.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Angry Birds is not a big deal Jul 14, 2011, 10:07 kanniballl

In high school and college, the professors would sometimes inject something interesting into their problemsfor Calculus, Physics, and Statistics. Constantly talking about hypothetical objects and abstract concepts will bore people fairly quickly... especially if their major isn't that centered around the knowledge of the class.

So "a nameless object is propelled upwards at a velocity towards a point on a plane" will become "a human slingshot launches a freshman..." or "a sphere with a radius shrinking at X% per second" becomes "A snowball in hell starts melting at ..."

Even the "less dry" professors wouldn't do that for everything, but maybe towards the end of class or during the hot months to keep us awake. So I don't see the harm in using Angry birds since so many people play it.

As for that ballistics physics, I feel bad. For the first half of the class I was just winging it and phoning it in. I didn't care about it and wasn't very good at it. However eventually I just "got it" and thought it was cool.

The other Physics classes (circuits and such) I hated and that never changed. But the ballistics stuff was fun. I wish I would've put more effort into the first half of that class.

This comment was edited on Jul 14, 2011, 10:13.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Hard Reset Announced
3. Re: Hard Reset Announced Jul 13, 2011, 23:29 kanniballl

Bumpy wrote on Jul 13, 2011, 22:33:
So I watched the trailer and found very uninformative????

Glad to hear its a Polish dev, that alone will keep me interested more than the trailer.

If the game even sounds or hints that it might be something I like (genre, setting, etc) I get *very* interested if I hear it's from Europe. It's something different in points of view / look and isn't coming from some publisher / developer that has grown tired and bloated.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA Ending Online Support for "Older" Games
39. Re: EA Ending Online Support for Jul 13, 2011, 15:26 kanniballl

I recall when they yanked Tribes: Vengeance. I don't think the game was even one year old at that point.

I enjoyed it, it wasn't GREAT but it was fun. Then again I wasn't much of a classic Tribes fan so I wasn't looking down at it.

-EDIT-
My mistake, that was Vivendi.

-

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Squirrels Jul 13, 2011, 09:58 kanniballl

Darth Guybrush wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 22:35:
Not sure why you guys seem to hate them so much. I think they are cute - much like our drop bears! (Possums)

True, they are cute. As far as rodents go they are among the most accepted.

Most of the complaints on this site are that they'll eat / horde all of the bird seed like gluttons... thus depriving the birds of any. At which point, what's the purpose of leaving out the bird seed if the birds don't have any and won't come. They'll also take over a bird-house as a home, which I imagine results in killed birds or at least broken eggs.

Personally I really don't care about them, my dog likes to chase them but he's too slow and fat to have a chance. I wouldn't go out of my may to harm them.

Chipmunks though, they've set up shop in my garage once or twice and chewed through a bunch of stuff. THEY are annoying, but I never had a problem with squirrels.

--

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA Ending Online Support for "Older" Games
18. Re: EA Ending Online Support for Jul 13, 2011, 08:43 kanniballl

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 23:37:
I didn't even know most wanted had a multiplayer component.

I played Most Wanted against my brother a whole bunch, on the PC as (I believe) a LAN game.

That was fun as heck, both of us liked the game so much we bought steering-wheel inputs for our PC.

I've played it a little bit recently on my XBox 360 but only single-player. It's still a fun game, all-be-it with arcade physics and such.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Green Lantern DLC Plans
8. Re: DC Universe Online Green Lantern DLC Plans Jul 12, 2011, 08:42 kanniballl

I *might* try it again for a month since Green Lantern has always been my favorite DC super hero... followed by Flash, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes), and *maybe* Superman.

But really... $10? The game is limping along to put it mildly. The population is in the toilet, the updates are slow, the whole SOE cluster-frack, the very little content already there, the REALLY small set of powers available. If anything they should release it for free.

Honestly, the power-set list annoys me the most. They hardly included any power sets, and ignored some of the staples of the comic book industry. Things like Super Strength / Might or ordinary Energy Emission... so if you want to replicate a Superman/Thing/Hulk strong-guy build you have to have flaming fists or turn into a giant ICE giant every 2 minutes. If you want Iron Man, then it's either fire or purple-energy-coming-from-your-head; gadgets works a little but it's a lot of throwing bombs and things.

The game HAD potential, at least in concept. An action-y super-hero MMO that takes place in the DC realm? How can that fail?!?

Umm, give it to Sony I guess.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 09:19.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Green Lantern DLC Plans
7. Re: DC Universe Online Green Lantern DLC Plans Jul 12, 2011, 08:37 kanniballl

CommunistHamster wrote on Jul 12, 2011, 03:49:
The movie was terrible.

I don't think it was "terrible..." it just wasn't great. Not every super hero movie has to be dark and epic like "Batman Begins..." there's room for comedy and such. And Ryan shaped up a little bit about 1/2-way through the film.

I won't be buying the BluRay but I might rent it again in a few years.

-Fry, Futurama

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 12, 2011, 08:30 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 16:39:
Well, most of the masses are fiddling while Rome is burning. Just ask yourself if the country was better off pre-MBA or post?

No offense, but that's never a good question to ask. I would sometimes hear something said like that from racists and such as well. NOT that I'm comparing Cutter's comments to that... just that I HATE it when someone says "was the country better off before or after X"

Technically you could say that about anything if the timing works even a little.

The US was in better financial shape before?
  • George Steinbrenner stepped down from control of the Yankees... darn you George

• The iPhone became popular... darn you Apple

• Lenovo bought the Thinkpad brand from IBM... darn you China

• Bill Clinton messed up a blue dress... darn you Bill/Monica/etc

• The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2002... darn you Vinatieri

• etc

• This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2011, 08:47.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 14:24 kanniballl

zerobytes wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 12:05:
    kanniballl wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:12:
    It was white and tasted a little funny.

Obligatory "that's what she said" comment deleted.

I don't know what the original comment was, but the red text by itself is funnier than heck.

And yes, later on after the film the old urban legends did occur to me.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 14:04 kanniballl

xmb1121 wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 13:23:
    Wouldn't an Adam West cameo be about the same thing as having a bat suit with nipples visible in the batcave?

I think it would be more akin to Batman Forever's throw-back
    Robin: Holey rusted metal, Batman!
    Batman: Huh?
    Robin: The ground, it's all metal. It's full of holes. You know, holey.
    Batman: Oh.

If it was Adam West, I'd rather it be a cameo at one of Wayne's parties. Like Wayne is shaking hands with people and up comes Adam who calls says the seafood is better than the last party, where they might as well have served old chum.

But then that's it, back to the regular dark Batman show.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2011, 12:17 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2011, 10:18:
    Are wild cherry Icee's supposed to be red?

I went to the movie theater the other week for Green Lantern, and figured I'd get a cherry Icee since I haven't had one in a while. It was white and tasted a little funny.

Think the AMC does that here.

Tasted "funny" huh? Like they did something to it?

Well you see, that's the thing. I'm a little paranoid, especially about stuff that's prepped by min-wage teens that are probably angry at all of the jerk-customers they have to deal with.

So I'm expecting a red drink, I get a white drink, and it doesn't taste like I remember from my childhood (which is fairly subjective).

So I had to wonder if they were messing with me.

So I tried it a little and then tossed it in the trash. I wouldn't pull a Farva (SuperTroopers) unless it tasted messed up, but I was still a little cautious.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 25.
    < Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo