Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Batman Skins Will Be Arkham City DLC
5. Re: Batman Skins Will Be Arkham City DLC Aug 6, 2011, 19:41 kanniballl

I'm embarrassed to say this...

But depending on how good either the DCAU or the Batman Beyond skins look in-game, I might buy them.

Those cartoons were great.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2011, 13:42 kanniballl

OldScho0l wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 13:33:
Today is the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima in 1945. Going by that grim date, today is the 66th birthday for the nuclear age.

This is bizzare! The first thing I thought of when I woke today was how terrible it was that our country did this. I had no idea that today was the anniversary. Spooky.

The subconscious is a funny thing, as is "waking up."

In a crowded room yesterday, you someone might've said something like "tomorrow is the anniversary..." and you just didn't notice it (but you still heard it). Or perhaps a TV / radio / webcast was on in another part of the room/office and again you heard it but didn't notice it. Or perhaps from previous years/posts you knew the date of the anniversary but consciously forgot until you thought of the date.

Combined with the above, I've heard that the first few seconds after being awake our mind is firing quite strongly. Which explains why I sometimes don't realize that I forgot to do something or messed up a piece of code at work until I wake up the following morning.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

6. Nucle-idiot Aug 4, 2011, 15:51 kanniballl

OK, I'll admit the end-result was the guy was probably messing with some low radiation stuff and the chances for anything catastrophic were probably low.

But unless he lived out in the sticks and was far-far away from anyone, how could he NOT think that maybe it wasn't allowed.

Considering it sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing the chance for contamination was probably pretty high. Which means the neighbors could've been exposed (directly, via the water table, etc).

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > The Batmen of Arkham City
12. Re: The Batmen of Arkham City Aug 3, 2011, 10:54 kanniballl

New Zealand-based MightyApe that different versions of the Batman will be offered as retailer-specific bonuses, offering an image depicting Bats from Batman Beyond, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman Earth One, 1970s comics, Batman The Animated Series, and Rocksteady's Batman

I loved the DCAU, and have been reading the Batman Beyond comics lately.

-Fry, Futurama

27. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2011, 08:26 kanniballl

WarPig wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 23:00:
Man, at least get a little window unit for the bedroom so you can sleep easier. I would think that would be a decent compromise.

Isn't that anti-productive though?

All of the wall units I've seen/experienced are quite loud, even on low settings. So they might be good for cooling down the room before naptime but once you go to sleep you'd need to turn it off.

Then again it could be that there are quiet ones out there I've simply not seen. Since I've lived with Central Air for over 20 years my experience with wall units is limited to my brother's and a couple of friends' that I've seen.

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Reboot???? Aug 1, 2011, 16:56 kanniballl

Steelcamp wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 13:24:
Why reboot anything, can they not think of anything new?

On one hand I agree; come up with something new.

On the other hand, if you want to make another film with similar themes/props/etc then it's going to fail because the millions of fans of the original will say "it's just trying to the X, and nothing can be X."

Take a film that they want involving time travelling cyborgs, or perhaps a Rise of the Machines type of story. Neither of those were pioneered by the Terminator franchise but the franchise is forever linked to that.

So you make a Rise of the Machines film, perhaps even a decent one, but fans of the old Terminator Series say "Epic Fail, it's trying to be Terminator but it's not."

In which case, why fight the tide... you might as well make it a film set in the Terminator universe.

-------------------------------

And if you want to start using that Universe for new movies, and the last couple tanked, then you might want to reconsider rebooting it.

Look at the last couple of Batman films before the reboot, and the T:3 and T:4.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > On Steam and Direct3D
35. Re: On Steam and Direct3D Aug 1, 2011, 10:06 kanniballl

zincthallinide wrote on Aug 1, 2011, 05:08:
Windows 7 has more eye candy compared to XP and a few nice UI enhancements (that I'm amazed MS overlooked even going back to 95..) but it really is an amazingly bloated OS. And somehow, XP works at least as well as 7 as far as app compatibility, and it doesn't have an SxS folder.
There's no bizarre keyboard lag like there is in 7 (although this doesn't exist in XP).
Things tend to 'just work' rather than mysteriously starting to blue screen/crash after I install a particular program or driver or plug things in in a way that some hardware doesn't quite like somehow.
OS X is based on Unix, which I've always preferred, but Ubuntu just doesn't do it for me.

I'll add to the "lagged keyboard input" sounds like an issue specific to your setup. I've never experienced it, and only had a Blue Screen when I had a bad hardware component (physically bad, not a bad driver).

I won't knock you for not liking Vista or Win7, it's a personal preference. Yes, a new OS is going to require more resources than a 10-year-old OS but that's always going to be the case. The various Linux distros now-a-days are more intensive than the ones from 2001.

OSX is nice and clean and there's nothing wrong with going that direction either. Sure you lose some native gaming on it but for all other non-development stuff it's more than fine. I used it for a couple of years until recently when my MacBook Pro tanked.

Really, you should use whatever floats your boat: OSX, Windows, Linux, etc. However I'd recommend you use something *somewhat* recent and that's still supported. Because after a while the security holes will just get worse and worse.

This comment was edited on Aug 1, 2011, 10:48.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Ahh the Wrongulator Jul 31, 2011, 12:47 kanniballl

zincthallinide wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 05:09:
That does sound annoying.

But I think it's 2+(3x4) = 14.. and (2+3)x4 = 20

Still, the basic premise of the story applies

Dur yeh, sorry had a few beers yesterday. Hence letting little things from my past bug me.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Ahh the Wrongulator Jul 30, 2011, 22:15 kanniballl

Ahh, the Wrongulator.

I recall back when I used to work minimum wage at a drug store.

We constantly had old bitties, and even professionally-dressed women coming back to return their "broken" calculator.

Their problem was they bought an Algebra calculator that handled order of operations for more advanced math. IE 2+3x4 == 24 instead of 20. They were expecting to get a regular cheap calculator even though this was more expensive than the cheap ones in the aisle.

They kept calling me a liar and that we were selling defective merchandise. They want to talk to the BBB, I obviously didn't understand Mathematics, etc. I tried to explain it to them but I was obviously "a stupid kid that wasn't going anywhere." Actually the women in their 40's were the b*tchier of the types complaining.

Yeh, a stupid kid that got a full ride to the Honors College at a University, was a CS major and a Statistics minor, and was just working to pay for the dorm / textbooks / dating / etc. I obviously didn't understand math

Ahh, the good old days, when I had stand in place for 6+ hours and listen to that BS all day. It's amazing I didn't go postal.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2011, 22:25.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 28, 2011, 16:11 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 16:02:
LOL at the Fox internet video paywall. Considering who their audience is I find it hard to believe those folks are going to stick with them for a monthly fee. Fox keeps it real, real amurica! You want me to pay you! TAXES YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!!!! YOU'RE RAISING TAXES!!!!

I can understand HBO doing it, they're offering a premium service and are adding another outlet to justify the expense to the users.

But FOX is free OTA, and meanwhile someone is making SOME money via hulu by selling ad-space. And over the last few years Hulu as added more and more advertisements.

I'd be fine with a Cable channel doing that, like SyFy or USA. But FOX? Really?

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 28, 2011, 15:57 kanniballl

Suddenly_Dead wrote on Jul 28, 2011, 14:26:
I'm assuming she enabled the (totally optional) two-factor authentication on her Google Account. Ooooooh, scary.

In other spooky news...

My credit card company, that I started doing business with 10+ years ago, knows my mother's maiden name.

WTF how did they know?!?!?

-

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2011, 14:24 kanniballl

A guy blew a red light yesterday and almost T-Boned me. I just happened to notice that a car was speeding towards the intersection WAY too fast and assumed he wasn't going to jam on the brakes. A feat since there was a house on that corner blocking most of the view, had I not been as observant I my new car would me C-shaped.

And it's not like he was trying to run the yellow, it was already red long enough for 2 cars to go in front of me.

He waved as he flew by too, not a "my fault" wave but an idiotic smile "nice to meet you" wave. He didn't even pause or slow down, just continued on at least 40MpH. WTF

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2011, 16:24 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 11:15:
I can't recall the last time I had a hot fudge sundae. Must have been going on nigh on over 20 years now.

I had one last year, but prior to that it was also many-a-year since I had one. I recall thinking "dang, I haven't had one in ages."

I had a nice milk shake a couple of times a year but sundaes are a rarity.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2011, 08:30 kanniballl

Lord Tea wrote on Jul 25, 2011, 06:32:
I shrug. No one forces you to do hard drugs. If you OD, natural selection kicks in.

I see the issue as blurry, and this is coming from a guy that *might* have 2 beers a year

On one hand, it's the person's fault to start taking drugs. Maybe there were other factors in play (social / psychological / forced / etc) but usually that first hit is the person's fault.

However, the whole addiction thing is when it get's hazy.

I've heard some people equate it to "why don't they stop" thinking it's like their "addiction" to Potato Chips or something... that the person is simply choosing to open a bag of chips. There's a lot more going on than that... an addict simply isn't weak there's an actual chemical thing going on.

Meanwhile, money and fame isn't just an easy-mode button; there IS a lot of stress. There's a lot of cr@p going on that "us normals" never even have to consider... pressure, paparazzi, fans, haters, not being able to walk down the street in private, etc. Sure sometimes that's great but imagine if everything you did was caught on camera, put on YouTube, talked about during the news, and meanwhile had people hounding you.

This comment was edited on Jul 25, 2011, 08:37.

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 16:24 kanniballl

Jim wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 15:41:
I would think that waiting until a heat wave is in progress to go air conditioner shopping will end in failure anyway.

Agreed, it's going to be like waiting until after a really bad winter begins to buy a snow blower.

Slim pickings and high prices.

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Star Wars Forgotten Footage Jul 22, 2011, 15:03 kanniballl

kanniballl wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 14:47:
Dev wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 14:04:
Yeah, pretty sure they never sold han shoot first version on any DVD versions. Heck, they even stopped selling the VHS of han shoot first when they did special edition of VHS where han shot same time. Then lucas wasn't happy enough with that and made greedo shoot first for DVD.

Yeh, I believe the closest thing to an OFFICIAL DIGITAL version of the ORIGINAL trilogy was a short-lived LaserDisc that was sold for a short while.

I "guess" I was partially wrong.

It looks like back in 2006 they released the original unaltered trilogy on DVD
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_DVD_releases

However it wasn't from the original prints but from the LaserDisc source... which wasn't as high quality as it should've been. But at least there's an official version with prop-XWings and Han Shooting First

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Star Wars Forgotten Footage Jul 22, 2011, 14:47 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Jul 22, 2011, 14:04:
Yeah, pretty sure they never sold han shoot first version on any DVD versions. Heck, they even stopped selling the VHS of han shoot first when they did special edition of VHS where han shot same time. Then lucas wasn't happy enough with that and made greedo shoot first for DVD.

Yeh, I believe the closest thing to an OFFICIAL DIGITAL version of the ORIGINAL trilogy was a short-lived LaserDisc that was sold for a short while and a Lucas DVD release in 2006 that re-printed that LaserDisc content.

The first DVDs only went so far back as the 1997 "Special Edition" re-release where they added in CGI X-Wings and Han shot second. I actually saw the SE of Ep IV in the theaters... it was alright but I'd already started getting bored with them by then.

According to Lucas, the real final prints of the original series were either lost or destroyed. But I guess they have the extra scenes and the raw cuts stored somewhere else.

Normally I'd call BS, but I learned a while ago that there's no such thing as "too stupid to happen."

-EDIT-
Updated the LaserDisc part

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2011, 15:07.

-Fry, Futurama

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2011, 08:20 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 18:53:
Heat index and wind chill are government scams meant to make you miserable!

Eh, I don't know how accurate they are but they have a point / use.

When I visit some place like Las Vegas or part of California where the temp is high as frell, the fact that it's a dry heat does a lot. It's not even that bad in those places / temps and just sitting in a slight shade does wonders.

Meanwhile where I live, when the humidity starts getting insanely high then that heat lingers... and it simply feels more miserable out. I'll take 100F in Las Vegas over 90F w/ high humidity in NJ any day.

So it serves as a reminder for people that don't check the humidity or whatever... that it's going to feel hotter than they might think.

That being said, today (Friday) it was already 87F on my way to work @ 7:30AM. Today is going to suck.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2011, 08:33.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders
17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Preorders Jul 21, 2011, 12:09 kanniballl

Honestly, I'm not interested.

I'll admit, Tie Fighter is my favorite PC game of all time. And even the semi-recent recent game "Republic Commandos" was quite fun.

But I'm Star Wars'ed out. The only thing that could draw me back in would be a good / solid space flight sim like the old Tie Fighter / X-Wing / Alliance games.

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2011, 12:02 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Jul 21, 2011, 11:57:
I'll take winter any day over summer. I can always put on more clothes if I'm cold.

^
|
this

Getting yourself warmer is a no-brainer so long as you layer up appropriately and have some shelter if it's windy / snowy / etc. But unless you're talking extremes (blizzards, arctic, etc) you can do what you want outside. Though shelter helps, especially at night... being homeless in the winter can be a death sentence without a place to stay or a fire or whatever.

In the melting heat, you're less flexible. You pretty much have to stay in specific areas (buildings / pools) unless you want to risk heat exhaustion or just sweating a lot. Shade only does so much and isn't always around, and 'running to the pool' isn't much better than 'staying inside.'

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo