Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2011, 00:24 kanniballl

For modern-day fantasy stuff, I really enjoy "The Dresden Files" series of books, by Jim Butcher (who's other series made the list above). And this is coming from a guy that doesn't like straight-up Fantasy that much anymore (liked it in High School, but not much since).

Think "gum-shoe detective + wizard ... in a modern-day Chicago where (of course) everyone believes magic is bogus."

It's not for everyone, but I like it... though the last 2 books are more of an acquired taste. I'd recommend starting with the first 2 books and see if you like it.

There was a short-lived TV series on the SciFi channel, but while it kept most of the overall feel of the books there were a lot of differences.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2011, 15:01 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 13:53:
And speaking of scummy, what Marvel is doing there boggles the mind. That's really bad.
Yeh, I heard about this last month
http://www.the-gutters.com/comic/169-scott-cohn

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a "Cautionary Tale"
27. Re: Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex: Invisible War a Aug 12, 2011, 14:43 kanniballl

Ray Ban wrote on Aug 12, 2011, 14:32:
I don't think you can blame the tiny levels and frequent loading on anything else than having to squeeze the game into that Microsoft POS box. Can't really blame the developers for that one.

The rest of the decisions were just wrong. And I do blame them for that ...

Developers don't always play a huge part in the requirements or design decisions. Stuff like that often comes down "from on high." Some business analyst probably worked with focus groups and what-not and gave them a list:

- Universal Ammo - keep things simpler, focus groups say they hate finding ammo for their favorite weapon

- Passwords - people hated having to write down passwords for the terminals. Make it an auto-enter

- Inventory - people hated playing puzzles with their packs

So technically, it's the BA's fault as well as the idiots they picked for the focus groups.

As a developer, I've had mandatory requirements and design decisions thrown at me that I had to implement, even if I didn't agree with them.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2011, 17:54 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 16:24:

It's kind of similar to saying that you shouldn't bother with anti-virus or anti-malware, because the bad guys will always be able to write something that it can't detect.

The thing is, with the rest of my post, the "danger" is that then people will simply rely on the straw and disregard common sense. It happens with tech today, no reason why it wouldn't happen with chemistry.

That all being said, yes it's cool. And should be pushed out to colleges and every possible store near colleges.

Where I was going with it was:
  • Oh my side-view car's side-radar says nobody is next to me (the light isn't on), I think I'll change lanes. FAIL

• Oh my anti-virus software didn't detect anything, so there must be no problem with me opening this EXE emailed to me by a stranger. FAIL

• Oh the light says I can cross now, if the light says so there's no reason to look both ways. FAIL (and red pavement)

• All of those gadgets and devices are useful, but already I see epic fails with people thinking they can just rely on them instead of common sense.

Eventually: Oh I hate the straw so everything is fine, I'm just going to leave my drink here for a few minutes at a crowded frat party with the straw still in it. Meanwhile a jerk swaps out the straw with a counterfeit and puts in something.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2011, 18:07.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2011, 13:32 kanniballl

Eh, I think the straw is a great idea (on paper) but it will lead to problems. A lot of things things are an arms race: either against governments, nature, geniuses, or idiots. And if one side becomes too reliant on their current level they will be disappointed in short time.

This is just triggering an arms race with roofies.

Some of the drug chemists are flippin' smart. Sure, some are stupid and just copy instructions from the Internet but some are Chemistry majors and what-not.

So eventually someone will make roofies that don't trigger the straw, but it will be "on the down low" at first. People will put too much faith in the almight-straw and stop using common sense, and I can foresee scenarios or time-periods where date rapes sadly increase.

-

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2011, 11:26 kanniballl

I don't agree with the TV.com article comparing Conan+Lopez to Leno+Conan.

The big deal with the Conan incident was, from what I recall, was that:
  • Leno stepped down from his thrown to do prime-time

• Conan got The Tonight Show, probably his professional-life's dream

• Leno's prime-time show bombed

• Leno took the show back, sort of.

• Leno took his old timeslot back and pushed Conan back to after midnight. It was now The Tonight Show in-name-only.

• So Leno left, changed his mind, and pretty much took back his old show from Conan.

People get replaced all of the time, it's no big deal. A show flops, it get's moved etc.

But from what I recall, people were ticked at Leno because he walked away, Conan got his life's dream, Leno bombed and essentially took back the dream. When all-in-all he should probably just consider retirement at this point (Letterman too).

From some of the monologues I saw, even Letterman seemed that he was disgusted / annoyed at the whole thing... and not just lampooning it because it was funny.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2011, 11:15 kanniballl

Sometimes the rain doesn't help, or at least not right away.

I forget which day specifically within the last week, but recently it was hot and muggy as heck.

Then it started pouring outside, and I figured "great, this will kill the humidity"

It stopped maybe an hour or two later and the clouds passed. I went outside and it was more humid than before.

That all being said, the weather today and yesterday is better than what we were getting the other week in NJ.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD
    13. Re: DRIVER San Francisco PC Delayed, No Demo, Mac Version TBD Aug 11, 2011, 08:30 kanniballl

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 08:21:
    Luke wrote on Aug 11, 2011, 04:12:
    Hmm where have i seen that "always on" drm for SP.....ohh yes D3 but hey thats blizzard so i guess its alright , if you don't like it you don't like it at all Rolleyes

It's always alright, as long as Blizzard or Valve's name is on something they can do no wrong. 2 most overrated dev houses in the entire industry.

I don't know, some people are pretty ticked at Blizzard right now for that. There are posts and articles up all over the place.

I don't MIND always-on DRM since I tend to be always online and I've hardly ever had any problems with FIOS. And my gaming sessions tend to be shorter now.

But if my ISP was flakey or I traveled a lot and played games on a laptop, I'd be ticked.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 15:35 kanniballl

briktal wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 13:26:
    The main problem with the cancelling of Eureka is that they were told they were going to get a short 6 episode season six to use to end the show, but as they finished season 5, that got cut.

Well that sucks, it's Farscape all over again.

I wonder if the finale will end with Jack and Allison getting blown up, followed by a "To be continued" screen.

In all seriousness though, someone on one of the forums said they're not done shooting S5 yet (just ALMOST done). If that's true, I guess there's a chance they can rewrite some of the final scenes as a good-bye instead of a "see you next year"

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 11:06 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2011, 10:55:
    My blue men group.

Wow. That's...so...scary.

Yeh, the pic is quite creepy. But to each their own I guess.

I mean, I watched a lot of Smurfs as a kid but I wasn't that gung-ho about it. It was just something to watch on Saturday morning.

Meanwhile I still watch the occasional cartoon (Archer, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Futurama, Venture Brothers, etc) which at my age may seem odd. However even for my most favorite of shows, including nostalgia-inducing oldies, I wouldn't be collecting stuff en-mass.

Maybe 1 or 2 comic or transformer figurines for the geek-factor in my office cube, but not tons of stuff.

And at most, I'd pay maybe $20 if it was a really well-done thing, like a high quality Transformer or a well-done statuette of Green Lantern or something. Not hundreds of British pounds.

And while I have nothing against cosplay enthusiasts, I think that one there is a bit creepy. I mean, yikes... it's like something out of a horror movie.

Finally... it was the Smurfs. Looking back, that show was beyond lame.

-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2011, 10:45 kanniballl

-EDIT-

Never mind, this news posting says what I thought it was.

At least there's still one more season next year and we're still wrapping up Season 4.5.

On one hand it's a shame, on the other hand I think most shows shouldn't go past 3 or 5 seasons (the premise is no longer fresh, the writers run out of ideas, etc). And people have complained about the last season-or-two, specifically the big change they made during 4.0.

I say "go out on top" so you're remembered fondly instead of for going downhill at the end with some bad seasons.

SyFy isn't exactly rolling in scripted decent entertainment. With Eureka gone they just have: Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Haven, Alphas, and the US-remake of Being Human. Meanwhile Sanctuary just finished Season 3 so it's probably getting axed in 2 years, and Alphas really isn't that great.

They cancelled some of their scripted stuff and replaced them (and then some) with reality shows which is a shame. I'd rather have a mediocre scripted show than a bunch of reality shows: Ghost hunters, an Indiana Jones wanna-be, WWE, creepy antiques, a cooking show, and a movie makeup contest.

I never really watched Desperate Housewives before, but I just figured it was still ABC's cash-cow. With both that and Grey's going away, what do they have left that's even semi-popular?

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 2011, 11:01.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Syfy's Gaming Initiatives
    17. Re: Syfy's Gaming Initiatives Aug 9, 2011, 23:48 kanniballl

Well it looks like Eureka, though cancelled, will still have some more shows to air.

They're still calling this season 4.5 and supposedly it will get a 5th season with 13-ish episodes. It's just that the short (6 ep) season 6 was axed.

At least that's what one clarification reads. So that's at least something for 2012.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Syfy's Gaming Initiatives Aug 9, 2011, 19:40 kanniballl

space captain wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 17:34:
    alphas is moderately ok.. but its no stargate or farscape or dresden files or even close to something like that

eureka was always pretty weak, but warehouse 13 is even worse.. i still watch them tho - scifi/fantasy is hard to find on tv these days

Yeh, it's getting hard but there are *some* alternatives out there.

Falling Skies - the first season started out slow but got decent after the 1/2-way mark and ended quite well. It's back in the Summer of 2010.

Terra Nova - coming soon, time travellers go back to dinosaur-era to give humanity a new chance at survival. Doesn't look bad, but I haven't read any reviews about it.

Some of the online/web series are decent from what I hear. I don't recall some of the names but they've been getting good reviews.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Syfy's Gaming Initiatives Aug 9, 2011, 19:34 kanniballl

Meanwhile there are RUMORS, fan rumors, that state that SyFy is looking at spinning off some of its shows. Like a "Warehouse 12" type of show set in Victorian England w/ Jaime Murray (HG Wells).

Some are suggesting that perhaps Eureka is going to do something similar.

I think it goes with the wording they chose in a press release about keeping one of the show's universe's/concepts alive. Or perhaps someone confused the amount of work that went into the recent WH13 episode set in Victorian England w/ HG as a back-door pilot.

Meanwhile, SyFy has been crossing over its shows:
    Eureka -> Warehouse 13
    Warehouse 13 -> Eureka
    and recently Warehouse 13 -> Alphas

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Syfy's Gaming Initiatives Aug 9, 2011, 19:12 kanniballl

space captain wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 17:34:
    alphas is moderately ok.. but its no stargate or farscape or dresden files or even close to something like that

eureka was always pretty weak, but warehouse 13 is even worse.. i still watch them tho - scifi/fantasy is hard to find on tv these days

Eh, I loved Eureka back in Seasons 1 and 2, but while I still "like" it I haven't loved the show for a couple of seasons. Personally I think most shows shouldn't last past 3 or 5 seasons because: the premise is no longer fresh, the writers start to run out of ideas, etc.

I still enjoy Warehouse 13 / Sanctuary / and even Stargate:Universe before it was cancelled. Haven is... alright but Alphas hasn't won me over at all.

Meanwhile the network is adding more reality TV and has the flippin' WWE.

They had already announced that Eureka was on its way out... that next season would just be 6 episodes to wrap up the show. However yesterday they pulled that final season so the writers have to finish up this season. "Supposedly" it's getting yanked because, while the show still pulls in an audience it is expensive to produce.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2011, 19:32.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Syfy's Gaming Initiatives Aug 9, 2011, 12:37 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2011, 11:45:
    Is that what they're doing at Siffy?

Not JUST that, for example I'm sure they're all really working hard on Mansquito 2.

Meanwhile they've cancelled Eureka and added a bunch of reality shows.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today
    13. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 23:05 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on Aug 8, 2011, 15:06:
    Say that reminds me. Was the PC version down during the PSN hacks or was it still running?

It was down, though not as long.

PSN was hit, but so was SOE which resulted in the loss of some CC numbers. So they took down SOE (PC-mmo's) for I think 2 weeks while they assessed the situation and sealed some holes.

It's one of the things that killed it for me, I was already started to be on the fence... but 2 weeks cold turkey more-or-less sealed the deal.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today
    6. Re: DC Universe Online Server Merges Begin Today Aug 8, 2011, 14:20 kanniballl

Honestly, too little too late.

I'm sure the hacking screwed them over nicely in a bunch of ways.

But between it being out-of-sight / out-of-mind for so long, going cold turkey took away most of my enjoyment.

Add to that the sliver of content and the fact that there are only a couple of decently populated servers on... I just grew tired of it. I mean, Champions Online at release had at least 10x more content than DCUO and people still b*tched about CO's content. You can reach 30 in 15hours of play (if you know what you're doing), after which point just about ALL of the end-game content relies on queues... which relies on (wait for it....) population.

I *might* pick up the Green Lantern expansion pack, just because GL is one of my fav comic heroes of all time. But even that is no gaurantee.

It's a shame... the game had PROMISE. An MMO that was scaled more towards action than Champions, playing in the DC realm with DC characters/IP, etc. But they dropped the ball on too many fronts.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Insert Provocative Headline Here
    8. Re: Insert Provocative Headline Here Aug 7, 2011, 02:10 kanniballl

Draugr wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 23:36:
    yuastnav wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 20:30:
    Episode 3 was actually made but a certain someone at Valve ate it accidentally.
    Now they are waiting for id to release id tech 4 so they can use that as a basis to make their own engine with completely messed up netcode, so basically much like what they did with the Quake 2 engine.
    Everything old is new again.

LOL FAT JOKE, COMEDY GOLD.

I must be the only PC gamer who could care less about more Half-life episodes being released, I certainly don't have anything against them, they were fun and everything. I guess they just didn't hook me like they did others.

Eh, while I'm purposely trying to "not" have game-completion OCD anymore, story-completion is still a big thing for me. It bugs me when I leave a tv-series or whatever mid-way and don't know the end. To the point that I'll either buy/rent/stream the series to see how it "ends" or read the summary on Wikipedia (or a spoiler site).

Usually one of the first things that comes to mind when someone mentions a game or TV series or Film, the first thing that comes to mind is how the series started, and then how it ended. And HL episodes just ended on a cliff-hanger so my mind says "oh yeh, that sucked."

So at least finish off some of the story, or end the next episode on a non-cliffhanger.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Hiroshima Aug 6, 2011, 19:54 kanniballl

Lesaonar wrote on Aug 6, 2011, 19:14:
    And people wonder why I really don't like celebrating on my birthday. Sharing it with the bombing of Hiroshima hasn't ever made it easy to enjoy the day. Well since I've been an adult anyway...

I see what you did there

Happy B-Day

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 23.
    < Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo