Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads
58. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Aug 21, 2011, 00:46 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Aug 21, 2011, 00:45:
On the other hand, they might be able to go after Person B for violating trade secrets. At the very least they would probably get an injunction to shut Person B up too.

You might be over thinking this considering this is a "random" internet posting from someone claiming to have played the game on a friends computer. I'm sure the legal department will be knee deep in trademark defense on Monday dealing with the Exxon trademark infringement of the Deus Ex video game franchise. Ex is too similar and that is definitely something they need to get rolling on before tuesday.

Oh I'm not talking about THIS case, or the heated post that was removed.

I was responding to the post that essentially said Person B was criminally liable for breaking the NDA. When it's civil, not criminal, and Person B can't break a contract he didn't sign.

I was talking in hypotheticals.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

56. Re: Valve Single Player Clarification Aug 21, 2011, 00:33 kanniballl

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 19:56:
the_culture wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 19:16:
A friend of mine is in the press and let me play it. ...
Then you've broken his NDA, and in turn are criminally libel for anything you've posted. And just put his job at risk. Cheers!

IANAL. And not that I ever would violate an NDA, or repeat confidential information...

First off, breaking an NDA is a civil offense not a criminal one. Unless you're leaking government intel that sacrifices the safety of others or the national security... then it's federal-criminal.

But my understanding is, if Person A signs the NDA and then tells Person B the confidential information... it's Person A that is at fault and the primary target of any legal action.

Person B... is kind of a gray area. You can't say Person B violated the NDA because did not sign the NDA and is just repeating hearse. Person A violated it, you're just spreading info. Person B could claim "I was not aware he signed an NDA" (A's word vs B's) or "For all I know he was making stuff up."

On the other hand, they might be able to go after Person B for violating trade secrets. At the very least they would probably get an injunction to shut Person B up too.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2011, 00:45.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

30. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 15:23 kanniballl

I'll also comment, I saw I had the preload option last night so I did it. I figured I was behind, and that it had been available for weeks and just forgot to check.

I guess I caught it early.

-Fry, Futurama

29. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Steam Preloads Aug 20, 2011, 15:20 kanniballl

Lord Tea wrote on Aug 20, 2011, 14:44:
I'm never gonna pre-purchase let alone pre-load (on Steam, no resale possible) a game anymore. I can wait until the first user reviews pop up on the net and then decide.

Thanks for the info though.

I've more or less stopped the pre-order thing. But for the last year or so I haven't purchased many games outside of a handful of $10 Indie games.

Since DX3 Pre-Order was on sale at the time and some of the previews sound decent, I figured even if it's a disappointment it's not a major loss.

I mean, the last non-Indie titles I bought in the last year for my PC were Crysis 2, DC Universe Online, and StarCraft 2.

I'm not getting my hopes up like I have for some games and films; if it's good then cool, if not then oh well.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Interesting... if true Aug 18, 2011, 16:17 kanniballl

There have been rumors in the past, but here's another... that Ridley Scott is going to make a Blade Runner film. It's unknown if it's a sequel/prequel/etc.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
26. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 15:48 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 14:51:

I'd love to see another Riddick movie, even if Chronicles of Riddick was a bit naff (Actually, I enjoyed it as a decent sci-fi flick.) and nowhere near as good as Pitch Black.

Creston

My rant was mostly just repeating stuff my old friends used to say.

I guess "my" example would be the Batman franchise... which eventually came back around. Great Keaton -> garbage -> great cartoons -> great Bale. I guess Superman is the only disappointing one for me so far, I *love* the first two, but I have to end my "marathon" after Superman 2. I can watch the bad Star Wars films and Matrix films, but not Superman 3 or 4. Maybe the upcoming one will change that.

As it stands, while I didn't like Chronicles of Riddick as much as Pitch Black I still thought it was alright. Even "mediocre" ain't too bad, especially if it's largely an action flick. And was hoping they would continue the franchise (Vin Diesel apparently still digs the character).

I'm just saying, some people I know equate one or two bad movies in a franchise (and by extension game series) to be like r*ping their childhood. They can't think of the series without thinking "well, eventually Indiana is going to hide in a fridge."

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam
87. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 14:02 kanniballl

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 13:52:
They're not so much inept Bond Villains, as they are the strict middle-school teacher that gives you detention for forgetting your glasses.

How long have you been waiting to squeeze that analogy into a conversation?

Honestly, about 15 years

The "best" part, it was my first month wearing glasses and only needed them for long-distance reading. I sat in the second row of her class so left them in my locker. That day she moved everyone's seats and I got sent to the back row. I raised my hand, and got a detention. 3 other people in the room put down their hands immediately after that.

-Fry, Futurama

84. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 13:42 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:22:
What cracks me up about this thread is all the sheeple praising Gabe, if this were the EA Ceo saying the same thing they'd be telling him to fuck off. "We hate DRM! except if its from Valve"

Let's think about that for a second. Who has treated their customers a hell of a lot better: EA or Valve?

There ya go.

True, but one can argue Valve is merely the lesser of two evils. They're not so much inept Bond Villains, as they are the strict middle-school teacher that gives you detention for forgetting your glasses.

They have DRM, but it isn't THAT bad. It's not a root kit and doesn't interfere with my normal system activity.

They keep a scary amount of metrics from your PC and gaming sessions.

One could argue they could be a little cheaper.

But it's not like they're abusing their programmers or being a bunch of d*cks.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA Revival Possibilities
19. Re: EA Revival Possibilities Aug 18, 2011, 13:27 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 12:29:
That said, I don't really get the idea that you'd never want to see a new game in a beloved franchise. I mean, why? Say a new one comes out and it's utter horseshit. So you simply don't buy it. What's the big deal? Is it really going to matter that much?

Creston

Take some of your favorite film franchises. You love the first film and maybe even some others. But then a god horrible film is thrown in there and you're like WTF?!? Superman 3 and 4, Matrix 2 and 3, Star Wars: I to III, etc.

It kind of sours the story's "universe" in your eyes, especially if they "answer a mysterious question" or "wrap up the loose ends" or "defeat the villain" in a completely cruddy way. All of the emotion and time you invested feels kind of wasted.

Years later, a poster or documentary takes you back to that old film or game. Your mind quickly goes through your memories of the games, like a flip-book. Cool scene, epic scene, hot scene, cool scene, midoclorians? JarJar? Horrible dialog? So a nice memory becomes a regret.

Better to leave something good and treasured alone. They might make it as-good or better, but the chances are greater that they'll screw it up.

Ask most of the old-school Star Wars fans, they'd prefer it if there wasn't a Start Wars Ep 1,2,3 and just rely on the novels and their imagination to fill in the gaps... than JarJar fest.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2011, 13:36.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed
14. Re: Driver: San Francisco DRM Relaxed Aug 18, 2011, 12:35 kanniballl

Eh, I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, part of me says "so what." At least in my condition, my internet connection has been rock-solid-stable for a couple of years now and am always online anyway. If it's a game I really really want to play, that's not enough to make me skip it. Though maybe if it's a coin-toss to get the game, I'll pass. So not enough to rage, but enough to reconsider.

On the other hand, yeh there are lots of arguments to be made against the whole online-always thing.
- Not everyone has a stable connection
- Some people might be without Internet (moving, traveling, etc)
- Some people use laptops and might want to play at the airport or something
- WHY SHOULD A SINGLE PLAYER GAME NEED TO BE ONLINE?!?!? Really, it makes no sense.
- etc

In which case, what does the publisher really gain by turning it from "always on" to "must be on at startup."

They might as well just turn off the DRM entirely at that point.

-Fry, Futurama

55. Re: Gabe Newell on EA vs. Steam Aug 18, 2011, 08:45 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Aug 18, 2011, 03:42:
I hate to say it but Zef has a point....

Digital distribution is so much cheaper than retail its unbelievable that games sell in the same price range.

Think about it for a second.

First of all you remove the production costs for CDs, DVDs, whatever. In bulk they are not great but it does cut costs.

Next, you remove the middle man i.e. retail. Here is where the biggest costs can be cut, the mark up price at retail is quite a bit. ...

True

But not everything is clear cut. The analogy below isn't meant to be 1-to-1 but it's just an example of maybe there are other reasons besides the obvious. Plus DC is going full-digital in September.

Plus Greed is probably the main motivator anyway... we're willing to pay the price so they make it that price.

-------------------

For example: comics.

Both DC and Marvel Comics have been releasing their comics digitally for a while now. But with few exceptions each, they do not release the current comics online... they're usually 1+ years behind... sometimes MANY years.

Why not? The price is the same, it should be a no-brainer. No printing cost, no shipping cost, no comic shops jacking up the price. Just digitalization prices and I guess the fees on comixology.com. They already know it works, and have SOME real-time releases so they know the logistics

Ahhh.... wait, no comic shops???

They make a good number of sales from comic shops... kids fork over their allowance, they browse, they see stuff they might like, etc.

Go fully digital and you hurt the comic shops, to the point that they close down. And for a lot of people, only 1 shop is even semi-close to home.

Fewer comic shops mean fewer physical sales. Not everyone will be able to buy online or even WANT to.

So in the comic case, for a while it was probably not wanting to destroy their symbiotic relationship with the comic shops.

What's changed since with DC? I have no idea. Maybe they've looked at the numbers and said that they can take the hit. But Marvel still isn't doing it.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2011, 08:56.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:56 kanniballl

nin wrote on Aug 17, 2011, 11:06:
I see Prototype is on sale on steam for $10. Worth it? I also hear the pc version is buggy - thoughts?

Thx!

I heard it wan't bad. I've read back-and-forth arguments about which was better: Infamous or Prototype... I *think* Prototype seemed to have more supporters since people called Infamous more of a shooter... but with electricity.

But I have no idea on how stable the PC version is.

And I never played it, myself.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 kanniballl

Different areas have different garbage pick-up rules and different "customs." My neighbors wouldn't complain unless it was for weeks or looked horrible. But it also wouldn't get picked up due to us being on a quiet street that doesn't really go anywhere.

We're not really supposed to leave the big stuff like that out for regular trash pick-up. We have scheduled times during the year for that. So the garbage men / town might complain before the neighbors.

Meanwhile a co-worker's town will pick up anything left at the curb... even the big stuff. So she was surprised when I was telling her we were holding onto some stuff till Spring Cleaning day.

Places with more traffic, stuff can disappear in 1-2 days... if not minutes/hours. I imagine main-drags and cities are more common for this.

Maybe they didn't know it was wet, or didn't care. Maybe they just want to salvage it for the copper and such.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2011, 11:36.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced
4. Re: Carbine's Sci-Fi MMOG WildStar Announced Aug 17, 2011, 11:09 kanniballl

-EDIT-

Just watched part of the trailer instead of relying on the pic

OK, it's more sci-fi than I thought. But if you're going to distinguish yourself from the fantasy MMO's by going the sci-fi route, I suggest emphasizing the differences more. Instead of rocky terrain and simple analogs for sorceress and barbarian/troll, maybe something that looks more space-y.

Like a abandoned futuristic city with metal, and the heroes not wearing what might as well be WoW clothes with the occasional LED.

But that's just my opinion: why bother going the sci-fi route to be different, if so much of it's going to be the same.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2011, 14:38 kanniballl

zincthallinide wrote on Aug 16, 2011, 11:44:
These pranks sound really lame.
Eh, the towel one wasn't so much a prank as it is a cheap loop-hole to buy yourself stuff. In the worst case it's a prank, they laugh, you're out the money. In the best case, you get the towels back and wound up spending $X on yourself.

Blue's shenanigans can make someone nervous, and perhaps start a brawl. Which I guess makes it cruel and tragic. Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all. Evil shenanigans! /Super Troopers

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2011, 14:30 kanniballl

That reminds me of an episode of How I Met Your Mother. It involved the bride's first-ever-boyfriend, and afterwards involved chasing him out of the wedding the whole episode.

In any case the question, to someone that knows it's a joke, is hilarious.

If they don't know it's a joke... scary.

Choose your audience, Blue. Or an angry father (or father in law) may step up and question you.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 15, 2011, 13:19 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 11:55:
Firefox SEVEN?

We're still at 5...

Creston

I know, it's a bit insane. 6 was kind-of/sort-of released the other day, a little early.

People are freaking out about the FireFox numbering conventions.

In big corporations, you have to test every piece of software you roll out to the desktops. For smaller point-releases the testing might not be so bad, but if you're going for a large-number release the testing is quite a big deal... especially for a large company with a large intranet.

It doesn't matter if the change-log only says "fixed pixel width of footer," on their software-push system if it says that it went from X to Y then a bunch of red-tape is involved.

I recall a (non-Blues) news item a few weeks ago that companies were going to stop using FireFox internally if this kept up for this one reason. I think it was slashdot.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution
55. Re: On PC Deus Ex Human Revolution Aug 15, 2011, 09:01 kanniballl

finga wrote on Aug 15, 2011, 08:40:
And again, people are presuming to know for sure how console players actually play. This only holds true in a house with a sizable living room. Millions of console gamers are playing differently than that.

Regarding your thoughts on the game, I don't think this is well-suited for you. Go back to the ones where every button press gives you an instant, shiny explosion and you can interrupt those annoying cutscenes and conversations with a murderous rampage. Deus Ex is not for you.

While I agree, a large number of console gamers probably play on PC monitors in their apartment/dorm-room, or in smaller living rooms...

I'd say a healthy percentage play in your typical living room, where the TV/monitor is at least 4 feet away. Maybe not a majority, but a very healthy amount. You have to figure, for every young adult living in his first small apartment with a console, there's a family with a console sitting in their living room for the kids to play with.

And I *imagine* that is the audience that the console makers and game developers target. Though I could be wrong.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA: PC "Extremely Healthy" and Could Become "Our Biggest Platform"
49. Re: EA: PC Aug 15, 2011, 08:55 kanniballl

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Aug 14, 2011, 18:57:
If us smarter PC people could just influence/correct/educate the console kids and their parents about gaming.. we'd be better off. no more insta-buying every new shiny box just because it's on the shelf..and thus inflating sales numbers.
If the console world knew what they were missing and what they should expect from a title.. a boy can dream

There's nothing wrong with console-gaming. It's a great place for platformers and casual gaming. And if you can get by the fact that a controller is less accurate than a kb+mouse it's even fun to play FPS games on them.

PCs are both more powerful and versatile, but consoles are fun for gaming.

Now if only they could release some more powerful hardware... the current line-up is long in the tooth.

If the complaint is people buying the XBox 360 slim, the XBox 360 Halo Reach edition, the XBox 360 Red, etc... I can understand. Sometimes there's a good reason, like the new version runs quieter or cooler but otherwise it's pointless unless you're getting a second unit for a brother or something.

If the complaint is buying the next-gen stuff when it comes out, then that's just silly.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Austin Powers 4? Aug 15, 2011, 08:17 kanniballl

Really, do we NEED an Austin Powers 4?

Sure, the first one was funny for the time and the second one was mildly amusing. The third, I guess it was love-it or hate-it.

Now here we are, years later, and he wants a sequel? By the time it gets released, it'll have been 10 years since the last movie

He must be low on cash.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo