Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Dangerous web cam Sep 6, 2011, 14:32 kanniballl

banddirector wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 13:45:
That's awesome! I can't help but wonder if any similarities are coincidental, or if a hardware designer was having a little fun ...

Hard to say. My guess is an engineer might've snuck some aspects in and hoped nobody from legal/patents/copyright/etc noticed.

I've seen all of those design pieces on web cams. The tri-pod legging to let it stand on its own or on top of a monitor. The shape of the thing itself isn't exactly that odd... you normally see more round but there's nothing odd there. And the lense probably only looks red/purple from certain angles, as I've seen on other lenses. Or perhaps it's just a dirty/oily lense.

I doubt the company or even any managers knew or recognized it though, as the potential for Valve freaking out might be too high.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 14:47.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
4. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 12:20 kanniballl

Yeh, I'm trying to think of any scene that is too "out there" compared to regular anime (let alone Hentai).

I guess it's kind of disturbing in one of the final rooms, SST the women being used as computer-slaves that you have to purge to fight the final boss. Killing them (or whatever) is kind of sad. /SST

Maybe the moving mannequins SST in the third boss, where you see what looks to be humans without flesh (with red artificial muscles) posing and flexing. But that just reminded me of the beginning of the Ghost in the Shell film. /SST

Maybe some of the lethal-dual-takedown bits?

Maybe some of the brothel NPCs were doing something weird, either facial expressions or what-not.

-EDIT_
Or perhaps the SST Final boss writhing on the harness... I did that whole last room at a distance so I didn't see her. Perhaps her face/writhing in pain could be taken another way? /SST

-

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2011, 12:29.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations
38. Re: Crytek Refutes Working Conditions Accusations Sep 5, 2011, 20:17 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2011, 20:01:
Have you guys actually worked in other countries?
Yes, there are rules about certain workers, but anywhere I've been abroad has longer work days than we do. Hell, my company is based out of Italy, and the employees in that office do 10-12 hour days every single day. They put in much longer hours than those of us in the states.

My friends in a Swiss company (company to remain nameless) work an extra 0.5 hours a day (30 min), so 9 hours (8hr + 1hr lunch).

All full-time employees at said European company ALSO have a guarantee of that work-day... if they work even a minute over they're allowed to bank it. They can either leave early on a given day, or bank them to make vacations out of them. Done via signing in/out with a card. Granted this might be company-specific.

The starting vacation-time given to new employees is also 5 weeks. 5 flippin' weeks.

Meanwhile I work a lot of OT without any extra pay... but I get a straight salary. I'm not complaining, I like my job and compensation. I'm just saying... not all European companies are cut from the same cloth.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2011, 20:26.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod
7. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Debug Mod Sep 4, 2011, 16:55 kanniballl

wonkawonka wrote on Sep 4, 2011, 16:47:
I'm playing Ghost and I just don't get the boss fights. I just finished my first and it makes no sense: you walk into the fight without the element of surprise, you have no weapon really damaging, you can't do takedowns or any other punching, and you can't use your hacking skillz to any advantage. Boss fights are the only thing I hate about this game.

Eh, I agree. The one down-side is that you have no choice but to "fight" the bosses. But the first two let you avoid having to FPS the thing to death.

The first boss fight you can use all of those barrels and gas-canisters lying around. Plus some decent weapons lying around, but the barrels/canisters should take you most of the way.

Second boss fight you can dodge her attacks, lead her to the electric columns, and blow them up. It's best to have the EMP resistance armor. Meanwhile there are tons of heavy weapons lying around to use against her.

The third one though, there are tons of heavy weapons lying around, I don't recall any other tricks to him though.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > No Bastion DLC Plans
1. Re: No Bastion DC Plans Sep 4, 2011, 14:40 kanniballl

Weird timing. About 30 min before today's updates went on I purchased Bastion on Steam... having only just learned about it while browsing the store.

And boom. Blues refreshes with the top news item about it.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution "The Missing Link" DLC Next Month
10. Re: removed Sep 3, 2011, 00:17 kanniballl

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 3, 2011, 00:00:
The original was one of my favorite games of all time, never played the second due to mediocre reviews, unfortunately threw in the towel after playing the third for a single evening. The cover system drove me insane, it kept taking me out of the game emotionally and immersively everytime I switched from first to third person. Ahh well, gamestop gave me a $50 gift card for free after buying the PC version from them.

You could always *not* use the cover system, just like I chose not to use any heavy weaponry.

Crouching against couch in first-person mode or whatever give you the same hiding bonus as cover. Unlike Gears of War, cover isn't necessary.

But everyone has their own tastes and every game is going to appeal to some more than others. Obviously DX:HR caters to some people more than others.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:25 kanniballl

Tehol wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 15:21:
ya, watch tv shows on tv.
what's the matter with you all uber elites?

Eh, Starz isn't TV... it's mostly just more movies. They only have a handful of TV shows: the Spartacus series, Torchwood Miracle Day, and one or two others.

It consisted of a large percentage of Netflix's movie library.

That all being said, I prefer to just DVR the current my TV shows and watch on TV. But via Hulu and Netflix I was able to go back and watch past seasons of a lot of shows whenever I wanted.

Oh, and all on my TV which is compatible with both.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 15:09 kanniballl

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 14:45:
Oh Jesus tap-dancing Christ, give it a rest with your know-it-all, one-note sorry defense of poor, persecuted corporations already!

To put it bluntly, I don't give a FUCK about the corporations; I'm a consumer- therefore I DON'T FUCKING HAVE TO. Christ almighty, I prefer to have civil discussions but your incessant bleating about the poor corporations, not to mention your standoffish and arrogant attitude, is positively maddening.

It's not a stubborn statement. Yes, you're a consumer and should be able to get what you want. But if prior agreements between 2 other parties are in place, then you can't just magically make all of that disappear. Especially if it's about licensing / copyright / distribution.

I'm sure HBO would LOVE to open up a new revenue stream; people without Cable that want to pay for their content. But I'm sure their current deals prevent it.

• I want to read comics online, and like Comixology's selection. A large collection of DC, Marvel, etc.

• But I also want to download the comics to my laptop instead of only streaming so I can read them on the plane / car / etc.

• But perhaps Comixology has strict agreements with the various publishers that will ONLY stream onto computers... else making it too easy to post the comics on Torrent.

• But I don't care, I'm a customer. I want it NOW.

• Comixology politely says "Sucks for our, DC and Marvel throw more weight around than you. And our large customer base seems to be fine with it as-is."

• In the case of HBO and the cable companies, if HBO pisses off Comcast / Verizon / Time Warner / etc then they're in a more dangerous position. HBO NEEDS the cable companies to air their content on TV... no matter what we're still at the point where TV consumers will far out-weigh people that are willing to just get it on the computer.

People without decent computers / broad band / etc. Old timers that have a hard enough time figuring out the DVR and on-screen Guide let alone watching something on their "computer machine." People with younger kids that just want to let them turn the TV on/off without them worrying about them deleting their tax returns. etc

All of those outweigh people that read tech websites that would LOVE to cancel their cable TV and just subscribe to a few things on a Home Media Center. So they can't rock the boat too much with their Cable company agreements.

-
    This comment was edited on Sep 2, 2011, 15:21.

-Fry, Futurama

1. Netflix shares plunge after Starz ends streaming contract. Sep 2, 2011, 13:46 kanniballl

Yeh, that sucks big time.

Starz really added a lot of value to Netflix's OnDemand/WatchNow feature. Without it there's a lot less incentive to stick around unless they can do something to add more videos.

I wouldn't be surprised if the get with the HBO-Go route. It ensures that only subscribers watch, therefore people have more incentive to subscribe... instead of just seeing what's on Netflix.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Free DC Universe Online Expansion Next Week
    2. Re: Free DC Universe Online Expansion Next Week Sep 2, 2011, 08:14 kanniballl

At least it's free. I was *considering* paying if it was going to be relatively cheap since I hadn't played a good game in a while but DX:HR took care of that for me.

It's a shame they screwed up such a decent game.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
    38. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 2, 2011, 00:09 kanniballl

Ratty wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 19:15:
    Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 18:02:
    Only thing I'd change about Adam is how pointy his chin is. Does that drive anyone else nuts? It's like a plane to smooth wood...
    Yes. Thank You!

When I first saw a pic, I thought it was a piece of aug-metal or something.

-Fry, Futurama

21. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 15:59 kanniballl

yuastnav wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 15:52:

I asked myself the exact same thing.

Eh, lean back on a comfy chair or something, even piping the signal to my TV, with just a controller. Instead of sitting at the desk with a mouse.

Since stealth was a slow and easy-going game, it was fun.

Anything more tense than that though, and I'd want the use of the mouse+keyboard.

-

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 15:05 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 14:28:

Brilliant. And from a technical side this game is a fantastic cross platform experience. The game plays identical to the console 360 version I started on but I have options to improve the experience in many ways.

I'll be honest, and I'll probably be flamed for this (and/or ignored by people)...

After a couple of hours, when I decided "I'm definitely going full stealth with this"

I decided to plug in my XBox 360 controller *GASP*

Playing stealthily/slowly meant I didn't need twitch reflexes. I could slowly aim for the head with the tranq gun or hit "b" to melee or use the stun-gun.

Everything worked just fine... interactions, talking trees/menus, movement, etc. It was actually a nice experience.

Now, if I play again as a violent rampage... I'll probably go back to Mouse+Keyboard for the twitch and the quicker head shots. But even with the controller, my occasional gun-fights with the bosses went fine. I avoided Typhoon until the last battle-area so my first batch of boss fights were 'nades and shotgun.
    -

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 14:24 kanniballl

Acleacius wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 14:14:
    It's turned out to be a great game so far, only finished the second city. Thing is I'm not sure how to classify this game, not really sure it's a true RPG. Now if it was classified as an Action game it could easily win GotY.

So far the dialog hasn't really convinced me it's RPG, nothing significant (so far anyway) choices or consequences. It's nothing even close to Alpha Protocol, but that's setting a pretty high standard for dialog choice.

I agree it also won't stand a chance against a more choice oriented game like Skyrim will be, either. Bethesda games don't always offer great choice or consequences but they do offer more than I've seen here, atm.

I'm not blaming Eidos Montreal they pulled of a miracle of sorts, but this really isn't a RPG, afaik.

Yeh, I only recall a small handful of things where steering a conversation in a certain way gave you something you could use later. I don't recall anything that would make-or-break your interactions with certain factions later.

I think of it as a very action-y RPG or an action game with RPG elements; so which category it belongs in is a question.

Still, it's the best game I've played in a while. It's not perfect but it was definitely more fun than anything in my recent memory.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2011, 13:50 kanniballl

yuastnav wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 13:25:
    I actually laughed. That shouldn't have happened.
    Eventaully, Lucas will go fully senile and release the BluRay Plus package, where all laser rifles are replaced with walkie-talkies.

Seriously, stop changing stuff. I don't see umpteen versions of any classics out there. Heck the only films in general that get this "treatment" are Blade Runner and the Star Wars films.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 1, 2011, 13:05 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Sep 1, 2011, 12:58:
    The nods to the other games make me excited, though the best email was still the rejected TV pitch to Pritchard.
    The game has some glaring flaws, but they're irks. As a whole I'm as into this game as I have any since RDR. The world feels alive.

I got a hoot out one of the TV-scrolling-ads during the news.

It was along the lines of " 'So you think you can dodge traffic' TV series cancelled" or something like that.

Then again, I guess it's more scary than funny... someone at Fox might've played the game and might pitch it for the 2012 season.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3
    10. Re: No Shooting Civilians in Battlefield 3 Aug 31, 2011, 10:38 kanniballl

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 31, 2011, 10:11:
    So what he's saying is they want to dumb it down to such a degree that no-one can be offended? When has that EVER worked? Has anyone kicked up a fuss because you can shoot prostitutes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Did Half-Life 2 generate negative headlines because you can take a crowbar to a scientist's head? This is exactly the sort of bullshit that I hate about modern society.

They should develop what they think it artistically appropriate and fuck the consequences. With COD:MW2 they DELIBERATELY set out to generate controversy. Games have been getting more realistic over the years and now we're going back to indestructible civilians? How about removing blood from the game? And you can't depict Arabs in a game, as that could be potentially offensive. How about they just make a game about a man pouring milk on his cereal. HOLY SHIT, THINK OF THE POOR ANIMALS BEING BRED FOR THEIR SUPERSIZED UDDERS!!!! No milk then. How about a man walking about in his underwear? HOLY SHIT, WHAT ABOUT THE CHINESE SLAVE LABOUR THAT MADE THEM!?!?!?

Seriously, if this sort of crap is

I don't agree with it, but I can see one line of thinking they might be taking

The difference here is that you're depicted as a American/British/etc soldier in (what I imagine) are real wars and conflicts... perhaps even battles.

You might as well be that veteran neighbor that came back with PTSD. They've got enough grief without watching their nephews deciding to mow down 100 civilians for the XBox achievement then asking them "was this what it was like for you?" Getting angry watching the scripted level have the soldiers purposely standing in the middle of a crowded street and shoot through the civilians at the terrorists.

The developers probably don't want to start another s**t storm that devolves back to the Vietnam-style protests against our soldiers... all because the MEDIA would sensationalize this game. Is this how it was? Does this game depict the actual situation over there? We polled some people and the answer may shock you... news at a 11

Big deal, you're a cyborg 20 years in the future in a near-dystopia killing civilians. Big deal, you're a charicature gangster in a fake city driving over prostitutes. There's a barrier there: besides being a fictional game you're in a pretty fictional scenario. Here, you're a soldier in the armed forces in a real war.

Meanwhile that whole airport mission in one of the CoD games a couple of years made parents and the media lost their minds. Maybe they just don't want to deal with the noise.

-Fry, Futurama

4. DC Comics Reboots Justice League and Other Series Aug 31, 2011, 10:28 kanniballl

One of the nice things about the DC Reboot that I didn't see in the article, is that they're supposedly going to release all (or most) of their comics online the same day as they release them in print.

Until now, Dc only did that with a few series... the rest tends to be years behind.

I've migrated over to buying comics via Comixology for the PC and iPad (this is not a plug). Mostly because it saves the shelf space since those comics stack up pretty quick.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2011, 16:07 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 14:46:
    So I just saw a commercial wherein four grown men in their early thirties were sitting around a living room playing Starfox 64 3D on their 3DS's. Is NOA's PR comprised of the dregs of the PR industry or do they sincerely think thirty-year-old men who love Starfox are their target demographic?

Eh, the Advertisement/PR guys have 2 things going for them.

1 - Sell the point that it's not just a kids toy
    They want the 30-something Alpha Consumers to buy it for themselves; and they have to get past the stigma that it might be a kids toy/game. "Hey, those guys didn't look too embarassed on TV, I shouldn't be either. I'm gonna pick up a 3DS." Or at least, that's what the PR guys are seeing in their heads. It's kind of like how Cadillac re-did their Catera/CTS line as their SUVs to be younger looking... they're fighting the stigma that Caddies are old-man-cars.

2 - Star Fox Fans = guys in their 20s/30s.
    Face it, the main Star Fox fans are going to be the ones that played it on SNES and MAYBE N64... and most of those people are in their 20s or 30s. So you advertise the game to the people that would want it, AND you once again tap the Alpha Consumer.
    You start to go olderthan that, and you get "what's a star fox?"
    You'd probably get the same reaction mentioning the game "Burger Time." Both are and heller-fun and were popular for their time, but only really reached a certain generation. They don't have the CRITICAL MASS popularity of frogger/mario/etc.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue
    20. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Code Clue Aug 30, 2011, 13:53 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Aug 30, 2011, 13:06:
    It would be the responsibility of someone involved with the game company (such as marketing) to make sure their IMDB entries are correct.

I've heard that too. But someone here (or on the DCUO forums) was saying that IMDB was just one step above a Wiki... and that fans/visitors sometimes entered in mistakes.

For example, for a while the film Spider-Man 3 (while "in production") had some messed up villains and the actors playing them that weren't even a rumor.

Honestly, I don't know which is correct. But I always use it as a first-step to figure out who-was-in-what.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 20.
    < Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo