Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > World of Battleships Website
4. Re: World of Battleships Website Sep 13, 2011, 15:07 kanniballl

Tumbler wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 13:04:
Add Subs. Make it cost money or something but add subs.

Ah the Sub... if this were TF2 it would be a combo of the sniper + spy. Hard to NOT consider that an awesome ship.

Honestly, if subs were in there I think the sea would be like 75% subs, and the last 25% spread among the rest.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 13, 2011, 14:21 kanniballl

I'm not really surprised.

Lately more and more games are realling upping the ante with their advertising. It wasn't that long ago that a TV spot for a video game, let alone a prime-time TV spot, was unheard of. Now it happens, even for stuff like Eve and the occasional PC game.

That stuff costs money, sometimes insane amounts.

The old Atari/NES/SNES genres probably had some, but I didn't see them for a while. Then the occasional AAA title on the XBox or something. Now, more-and-more.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 11:20 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:54:
In sad news...I just over at IMDB that they're now going to remake Point Break. Sigh, FFS, just stop already!

Yeh I saw that too and shook my head.

Why? Not that I was a terribly huge fan of the first one and want it preserved... it just doesn't make sense to remake it.

• Was it held back by special effects of the era (and their cost), thus making it look cheesey instead of serious?
    Not "it doesn't hold up to today's standards." But "it was so bad it made the movie a joke, like the 1990s Fantastic Four film"

• Did the original writers/directors have to water it down to appease the insanely shiny-happy-people environment of film + television from the 70s + 80s?

• No? Then why bother remaking the movie?

I can even understand sequels and prequels made decades after the source material, if the source material established a rich and complex universe that has captured the imagination to this day. Star Trek, Star Wars, etc spawned universes that lived on in books, comics, novels, etc. So deciding to expand on it with some cannon is alright.

I really doubt there are no good ideas left in Hollywood. It's just an example of execs deciding to cash in on some old intellectual property / copyrights. We're paying $X every Y years to keep the property, it's time it's earned its keep.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 12:12.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 10:50 kanniballl

That's like a whole era of gaming I missed... not due to age as much as not being able to go to any arcades.

For someone that used to game so heavily until a few years ago, I feel it's a shame. I tried to catch up a little with Mame32 but just enough to get familiar with some of the classic titles.

Oh well, I guess I'll always have memories of my Intellivision and Commodore 128.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > FIFA 12 Demo
    4. Re: FIFA 12 Demo Sep 13, 2011, 10:41 kanniballl

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 13, 2011, 10:34:

Some games just work better with a controller, like racing games, or games with helicopters and flying vehicles (if you do not want to use your joystick, or steering wheel for racing games)
    I have a wired 360 controller and use it for some games, but mostly racing games.

True, that's another reason. I'd also like to add some adventure games like Bastion.

I have a steering wheel / pedal setup in my closet. It was great for the umpteen hours I played NFS: Most Wanted back in the day, but the thing is way too big. It's gathering dust now because I don't play racing games often enough to warrant mounting it on my desk + putting it away all the time. And it's definitely too big to just leave it mounted full-time.

Same with some Joystick setups: too big for a non-filing-cabinet drawer, and sometimes too big/annoying to just leave out there when I'm doing work stuff.

Instead, a 360 wired controller that I can easily throw in my drawer if it's getting in the way... and it handles the occasional racing / flight sim / space shooter with its analog sticks. Not as well as either, but well enough and more engaging than a mouse.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > FIFA 12 Demo
    2. Re: FIFA 12 Demo Sep 13, 2011, 10:29 kanniballl

I sometimes use the controller on the PC, unless it's a game that requires fast+precise movements to enjoy it like a frantic FPS where you want quick head-shots. Or if the game just requires too many buttons (ie RTS).

You can sit back and enjoy youself fairly well: it's great for a lot of casual (or just some slow) games. I already spend 7.5 work-hours behind a desk with my hands in the mouse+keyboard position probably giving myself carpal tunnel or whatever.

The whole MsLive / 360-controller thing is a mixed bag. If you break down and get one, then most of the current PC games support the thing incredibly well.

If you try using anything but, then you have to program it: this button is that, that button is this, wait this doesn't have enough buttons, etc.

Obviously, the perfect scenario is any controller would work the same with little-to-no intervention on the user, and that the OS+Driver guide which button is which (Button A is the "equivalent" of Yellow-Y, button B is the "equivalent" of Blue-X, etc).

But it's not working out that. And let's face it, even stuff like Joysticks would have a hard time configuring for some game or another. And those were around a lot longer than PC-based gamepads.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2011, 08:54 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 18:59:
    I remember finding out about the events in a totally fucked up way from my history teacher.
    I didn't find out what was going on until I turned the TV on at home after a weird bus ride with kids looking for planes out the windows. I guess lots of other classes turned on their TVs and watched at school but this particular teacher didn't and broke the news in a weird way so as not to alarm anyone.

My brother's middle school was trying to keep it under wraps, which was pointless because it shared the building/hallways with the high school and they already knew (through cell phones + radios + etc).

I was in my 20s and was commuting to college, but had two younger brothers in high school + middle school. I was listed as being able to take them out in case of family emergencies and remember signing something with my mom to that affect that I could do that sort of stuff without their intervention / letters / phonecalls / etc. Since I'd be the closest to the school in case of emergency.

The High School people still remembered me and were very quick to let me pick up one of my brothers. He was ready by the time I got there.

The Middle School wouldn't let me bring my other brother home, not unless I had a note from my mother It wasn't even a parental thing, I offered to get my dad on the phone and they still refused.

Apparently my logical argument of "that makes no sense" + "his paperwork explicitly says I can take him out of school without having to reach my mother" wouldn't overcome her idiot mind. She actually thought my brother would be better off staying in class.

Eventually I freaked out and said to give me my brother now or I'll find him myself... I wish I could say it was a macho as it reads but I at that point I'd emotionally "had it" and probably came across as more pathetic. The *itch eventaully let me take him.

- Not without a note from your mother
    - My mother might be dead, how about a call from my father.
    - No, not without a note from your mother
    This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2011, 09:05.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ships 2M
    62. OMG - This is the lamest post on Blues Sep 12, 2011, 15:44 kanniballl

Honestly, that's it... this is lame.

It's still going on, with 11-Sept being the last update of someone arguing/proving/contradicting.

I remember when the post went up I was expecting to read more about how much the readers liked the game, someone saying they bought two copies, asking about hard missions, etc.

Instead, it's like an English Teacher, Mathematics Teacher, and Computer Science Teacher arguing over the semantics/syntax of the numbering prefixes.

Principal: Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 11:50 kanniballl

scratz wrote on Sep 12, 2011, 11:39:
    Speaking as someone that has had cancer claim a number of people in my life circle, I still find it terrifying that a man who is in the prime of his life can go from Spartacus-level fitness and health to dead in less than a year.

It's actually humbling and scary when you hear that someone A) that young and B) that physically fit can go so quickly.

Not to sound selfish, but it some ways I think "Damn, what chance does that give someone like me." Not that I have it, but just that it can come out of left-field.

I've known a few people that had cancer, some that fell and some that are beating it (so far). Some that smoked and stuff, others that had a dang healthy lifestyle. It's a damn scary thing.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    1. Oh COME ON Sep 12, 2011, 11:15 kanniballl

I can understand someone cracking to steal credit card numbers. I don't agree with it, and think it's evil and vile that messes up people's live with identity theft and everything. But greed is a fairly simple thing to understand.

I can understand the whole "POWNING" someone's website for the status. Again, I don't agree with it but I can understand it. Status, practical jokes, etc are easy to understand.

But that NBC thing, that's just... wrong on so many levels.

If you're going to pull a prank, have some taste.

Sure, some guy in San Jose that doesn't know anybody that was affected might not care about this stuff... but for people affected by 9/11 it was a big deal. Had someone had the twitter feed push to their mobile device they might've freak the fsck out.

If you're going to pull a hack like that, have some taste. Make it something silly and easy to tell it's a joke... and something that won't give people panic attacks or flashbacks.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Andy Whitfield Sep 12, 2011, 11:03 kanniballl

Yeh, that's a shame. Andy Whitfield was friggin' young.

I think he did a great job in Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

While the show had great writers and directors, I felt he did a great job portraying the role. I wonder how the next season is going to be with a new actor.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 10:11 kanniballl

Yeh, it was a messed up day 10 years ago. It was the scariest couple of hours in my life since I couldn't reach my mom... who worked a couple of floors above where the first plane hit. I think we didn't find out until 11AM or Noon whether she was OK.

I count my blessings that she made it, but it's not going to be a day I'm going to forget any time soon.

Honestly, had she made it to work 1 minute earlier the day would've turned out a lot worse for us. She was 1st or 2nd in line for the elevator when it came crashing down. So she would have either been in a free falling elevator or in the office where nobody in her group made it.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2011, 10:32.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > City of Heroes Freedom VIP Headstart Next Week
    7. Re: City of Heroes Freedom VIP Headstart Next Week Sep 10, 2011, 12:41 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Sep 10, 2011, 04:05:
    CO is just too small. I mean what is it? The city plus the desert and the arctic zones? I can't believe how small it is. Definitely not worth a monthly fee for that alone. Plus way too much nickel and diming with the C-store for content that should be going into the game for that monthly fee. I'll have to go back and take a look at it again though. I did create a replica of Fumbles from Robot Chicken though which is just awesome.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=105950&highlight=fumbles

Eh, there are only a handful of Zone maps... but they're a lot bigger than most of the Zone maps. Plus they added 2 more zones (1 crappy, 1 that's alright). Though, COH still has more square-kilometers than CO in regards to Zones.

As for the C-Store... all of the content was free for the monthly fees. The only stuff that wasn't were the costumes / bases / travel-powers.

I tried getting back into COH a short while ago, and it's fun. Not as action-y as CO... and while they've updated the graphics since I last played the COH graphics are still a little long-in-the-tooth. But for free, I might hop back in.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2011, 12:26 kanniballl

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 8, 2011, 12:23:
    Movie theaters have almost lost me. The floors are gross, the audience always has at least one idiot in it, 3D gives me a headache if I don't actively focus on the foreground, and snack prices are outrageous.

What's the advantage? With home theater setups lowering in price very year the idea of going to a theater to see a movie is like something out of the past.

Yup.

Save for the "community" aspect of seeing some comedies (laughing together), or going out with a large group of friends (too large for your living room) the home theater is usually the better option.

I was actually stoked when Tucker & Dale vs Evil was available on iTunes this weekend (or earlier?) when it hadn't come out in the theaters yet. It was one of the few things I wanted to go to the theaters for.

-EDIT-
    Took out my long bullet list, it's all been said before.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 13:01.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC
    6. Re: 2013: the Year Digital Sales Will Pass Retail - DFC Sep 8, 2011, 10:56 kanniballl

Rhett wrote on Sep 7, 2011, 22:01:
    I'd still go out of my way for a physical copy. You just know that publishers won't go for a cheaper price, when going digital.

Definitely... though my impression is that Steam has more frequent sales on decent stuff more often than Brick-And-Mortar shops around me. But the regular prices are the same.

Retailers will price things at what the market is willing to pay. If people are willing to pay the same price for a downloadable game vs a disk + box then they'll leave it there.

They're not going to say "Hey, let's lower prices so our profits don't increase" unless they decide they want to drive all sales through their own sites and put the stores out of the PC-Gaming game. But they won't do that because they're going to want to keep selling disks in stores to kids using their allowance + birthday money + etc or for those that don't have broadband.

I'm pretty sure online comics from Comixology are the same price as print, even though I have to imagine the publishers + site saving a lot of cash on materials + printing + shipping + storage. But the convenience of having having them OnDemand (even when travelling) and saving a bunch of shelf space negates that complaint for me.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel
    62. Re: Why Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Prequel Sep 8, 2011, 10:30 kanniballl

StingingVelvet wrote on Sep 2, 2011, 16:14:
    Took me 33 hours to beat the game talking to everyone and exploring everywhere, playing a stealthy yet lethal pistol man. I did miss one side mission due to a glitch where reading the PDA entry did not update the quest.

Let me guess, the PDA you picked up off the ground near the body in the butcher's basement? For the Shanghai mission for the LIMB doctor?

Yeh, I'd missed it too. Fortunately I'd saved a game around that area. If you return to where you actually performed the other side mission of knocking out a bunch of guys and taking a microchip, there's a sewer grate there that takes you almost right to the guy you need to fight.

I don't recall what section of the city it's in... just that it's on a sub-level of the 2-level city. That almost looks like an a canal or some other trashy place where people wouldn't normally stand around.

I only went back for the Achievement after I beat the game, so I didn't really benefit from the free Praxis Point the doctor gave me.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 10:38.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Green Lantern Add-on Live
    1. Re: DC Universe Online Green Lantern Add-on Live Sep 8, 2011, 09:12 kanniballl

Yeh, I played it a little last night.

It's quite nice, particularly since GL is one of my favorite comic heroes. BUT it's not enough to bring me back to the game.

Actually, it's somewhat disappointing. THIS is the powerset I wanted to play at release... or just plain old energy emission, and it came out 9 months later after I'd already stopped playing. I might return to the game sometime in the future since I was stupid enough for a lifetime subscription, but right now I have too many other games keeping my full attention.

And before you mock me for the lifetime sub, I'd only ever done that once before (with Champions Online) and got my money's worth there. So I figured it was be solid here as well (and gambled poorly). At the time the "Legends" pricing was just going to be short-term, and I figured the break-even would be 1-1.5 years... but then the game sucked AND they more-or-less made Legends pricing permanent.

So it was stupid, but wasn't stupid-stupid.

Really, the game HAD potential but SOE dropped the ball. Releasing with so little content is one thing, but then lagging on the updates AND getting bent over by hackers really hurt them. And if they were smart they would've had the GL powerset added during the movie's release.

Honestly, the couple of weeks of downtime due to hackers combined with lack of content and lack of updates killed it for me. 1 would've been alright, maybe 2, but all 3 really just killed it.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2011, 10:11.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > etc.
    7. Vin Diesel's Latest Update On "Riddick" Sep 6, 2011, 16:27 kanniballl

From the description, it sounds like it's not picking up where the last live-action film left off.

Whatever, I liked the character and hope the next film is good too.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
    21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 16:07 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 16:02:
    sauron wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 15:33:
    oops - dp.

No, those are legal in Japanese games, too, I think.
    ^
    |

Now that's your winning comment, right there.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan
    15. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Delayed in Japan Sep 6, 2011, 14:55 kanniballl

Jerykk wrote on Sep 6, 2011, 14:38:
    Nope, the moving mannequins have toured japan:
    http://www.japanupdate.com/?id=9434

Different contexts, though. I'm sure videogames fall under much more scrutiny than art exhibits.
    Perhaps, but didn't "Ghost in the Shell" start with a scene involving the creation of The Major's body?

Did it start out skeletal, then get muscle, then float up to the top to get the skin layer?

Then again, it's been a while. That whole "muscle" scene could've been very brief... I don't recall much more than the "weird, they're building a body" bit.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 19.
    < Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo