Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 7, 2011, 08:37 kanniballl

I'm not a huge apple user / fan but I respect the work he's done.

He made computers and electronic devices more popular for the average Joe. Though he didn't invent the Graphical User Interface, he saw its potential and pushed it onto the world. He innovated some stuff, borrowed other stuff.

If not for him, I actually believe PCs and OS's would be less advanced than they are now.

Shrines... are a bit much.

But so is a lot of the hatred he gets.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Reminds me of college Oct 6, 2011, 13:25 kanniballl

Back in college, a Hawk (or something) had killed one of the pigeons near the green / quad / common area. Afterwards it sat perched on top of an awning, surrounded by pigeon feathers and what-not. Just chilling and doing its thing.

Some students were actually angry at the Hawk, going on "that monster, why would it do that?"

People had to respond: "Because it was hungry, it's EATING. That's what it does."

Don't feel bad for the birds, it's just nature doing it's thing. Though, if Hawks become too reliant on Bird Feeder Buffets then they might lose their skills and suffer down the road.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2011, 13:11 kanniballl

PropheT wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 13:06:
nin wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 11:16:
That's ok, my first thought was a dinosaur, and I reread it several times, scratching my head...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking that as soon as I read it

I was just watching my DVR'd "Terra Nova" last night... so I have to admit my first thought was dinos.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 5, 2011, 13:01 kanniballl

Zyrxil wrote on Oct 5, 2011, 11:19:
Chase Carey said there had been discussions about the possibility of setting up a Simpsons cable channel in the US, devoted to showing repeats of the show.

You know...I'd watch that.

First, I have to say... I find The Simpsons to be over-rated. It was great back-in-the-day but it just can't hold my attention anymore. Granted, it could be because after 20+ I've had my fill.

Ehh, 488 episodes is an impressive feat but in the grand scheme of things...

If they run it 24 hours per day and cycle through completely without any repeats during the day/week that's only 10 days of non-stop content.

Granted, a lot of channels repeat their schedule in the late evening and all of that, so maybe they could squeeze it out for 20 days. And then every Saturday night they can air the recent Film.

But once the novelty has worn off, the channel would be dropped pretty quickly.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Update 5 Live
3. Re: DC Universe Online Update 5 Live Oct 5, 2011, 08:36 kanniballl

Esoteric wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 22:35:
When does this go F2P? I played some of the beta and enjoyed it for a bit, but didn't think it justified a sub.

Last I heard, sometime in October.

Then again, historically the DCUO updates have run behind so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into November or December.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2011, 12:50 kanniballl

space captain wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 12:43:
So tell me where you get that magical 2tb SSD drive for 100$ and i will get one ^^

Eh, I use my SSD for the OS and some applications that I know I need/want fast performance.

But I still throw my music/videos/etc on a standard TB HD.

Things definitely load faster off the SSD.

-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2011, 07:50 kanniballl

Overon wrote on Sep 26, 2011, 07:01:
Using chemicals is not not food? Food IS a chemical. Everything physical you see, feel, taste, hear, and smell is made up of chemicals. Life is chemistry and chemistry is all chemicals.

Yeh, ignoring the whole "life is just a series of chemical interactions" and "all food is just a mixture of chemicals"...

Cooking is just chemistry, only relying on complex compounds and mixtures as your basic input and rarely any basic compounds (save water and salt). Applying heat, state changes, biochemical changes, pH, etc.

But I can see it from both sides of the fence.

On one hand, if you're having a cooking contest or talking about a high-end chef... should you really applaud them for using MSG or artificial coloring/flavoring? If it's a contest or whatever, it's kind of cheap. Personally I'd give better credit to someone using ordinary food and taking it from there than someone that uses a bottle of SuperFlavorEnhancer2000. Or in this case, using peppers instead of "the essence of spiciness in a bottle."

On the other hand, it's still an edible substance. When most people want to add a little bit of saltiness to their dinner, they just add a little bit of pure salt (NaCl). They typically don't say "hmm, what food is naturally salty... I'll add that to the broth."

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Translations Value Estimate
30. Re: Steam Translations Value Estimate Sep 25, 2011, 23:50 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 25, 2011, 21:55:
Perfect grasp of 2 languages is not something exclusive to professional translaters you know....

Some people consider their grasps 100% perfect... and yet their grammar / syntax / and mis-translating idioms/metaphors/etc are barely even "decent" let alone good or great.

I know a few people from overseas that pride themselves and having better English knowledge than native speakers. They are poorly informed.

I guess the same can be said of anything... such as people that think they're excellent drivers when they are in fact quite poor.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details
42. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch, Pricing Details Sep 25, 2011, 00:50 kanniballl

Sempai wrote on Sep 25, 2011, 00:21:
Jonny wrote on Sep 24, 2011, 19:49:
I'm happy to see a release date, but one working day before Christmas? How is that not an utterly retarded time to release a new MMO? It doesn't exactly give them much leeway. If something unexpected crops up as often happens with MMO launches, then either their staff will have to work over Christmas or everyone will be screwed until the middle of the week after.

While I agree with you 100% on the release, how is Tuesday one working day from Christmas which is on Sunday of that week?

Am I missing something?

Europe perhaps? It says Dec 22nd in Europe. Granted that's 2 working days.

Then again maybe he's taking work holidays into account. I know some Swiss companies (and others) that take the Christmas holiday season very seriously.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Bunch of Heroes
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Bunch of Heroes Sep 22, 2011, 15:31 kanniballl

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 14:22:
"We’re very excited to become the first studio that self-publishes their very own game on STEAM
errr? what?

Good question.

Maybe they're the first to do all of the above without having to partner with anyone else for capital? For example, Bastion was partnered with FOX or something like that.

I imagine there has to be "something" in there to make sense of this, as a lot of Indies use Steam to publish.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2011, 11:22 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2011, 11:02:
’90s Best Buy Flyer of the Day.

That brings back some memories. Finally got rid of my last CRT last weekend in a garage sale. Hell I only got an LCD that had decent black levels in the past two years anyways.

I found an old Computer magazine behind some basement furniture as I was cleaning up from earlier... it was a real computer-price time machine.

Man, I remember when my parent's 486DX 33MHz w/ 8MB Ram + 15" CRT was over $3,000 USD. Puny hard drive, no sound card, no game card, or anything else flashy. I think it was a Zeos brand PC.

Prior to that, we had a Commodore 128 for years. 1-2 years after we got the 486, my mom's place sold her one of their old 386's for peanuts. So I could do my homework while she was dialed into work via the modem.

But man, those prices vs specs. Now you can get a cheap PC w/ hundreds or thousands of times the specs for under a grand.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 22, 2011, 08:33 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 18:21:
It's been a while, but weren't your Sp and MP characters in D2 entirely seperate? And if not, there's zero reason they couldn't do that with D3.

That's the way I remember it.

And then they started finding ways to dupe items (including permanent stat boosters) so when you joined a group in Diablo... members would shower you with loot so you could be up to the challenge. So your MP avatar would quickly surpass your SP avatar with skills and loot.

I didn't like that whole dupe thing though, it takes the fun out of a game when you can start the first dungeon in virtual god-mode.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > NCIS Game Next Month
18. Re: NCIS Game Next Month Sep 22, 2011, 08:29 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 18:25:
So thy can time-travel, but not fix the planet or go off-world? Right.

From what I heard, and take it with a grain of salt, they SST "found" a fissure in time that goes to that one place/point. So they decided to use it. /SST

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: NCIS Game Next Month Sep 21, 2011, 18:06 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 17:20:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 17:14:
NCIS is one of the worst TV shows that I have ever had the misfortune of watching. The acting is appalling, the plots are absurd, the writing is infantile and for a show about the US Navy it seems to revolve far too heavily around land..

Interesting... I'm a big fan of NCIS... For me, I felt it was a much more interesting, with actual characters, forensic-style-show (or in short, CSI with characters).

But then, I have no involvement in the navy or the like... When I see shows about things I know about, it bothers me that they talk so incorrectly about (like just about anything computer related...).

-Alamar

NCIS is a spin-off of JAG.. which was a legal drama + military fake-action show. Unlike Law & Order and The Practice, JAG spent a lot of time with Harm and Mac running and flying jets and killing assassins.

So NCIS is to CSI, as JAG is to Law & Order. A mystery / action with a little bit of forensics thrown in... as opposed to a straight forensics mystery. Less realistic, more action-oriented.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: NCIS Game Next Month Sep 21, 2011, 18:04 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 17:14:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 16:24:
CSI:Terra Nova --- A show so big, it took two networks to bankroll it.

Speaking of Terra Nova, am I the only one puzzled by the logic of that show's premise? Humans have made the earth unlivable, so the solution is to send humans back to prehistoric times, presumably so they can make the planet uninhabitable even sooner?

I haven't read anything official, but I can imagine a couple of things things.

1) their tech is finally fairly green now but they can't un-do the damage of the last few decades / centuries.

2) In an alternate time-line thing so they're not going to screw over the people they left behind... just prevent human-kind from starting normally. Which is permitted in a branching/alternate timeline: they can travel to the past and prevent their ancestors from spawning and still exist. Kind of like colonizing a planet where life is thriving, and messing up the chance for Intelligent life to evolve.

3) If they're wrong about the alternate timeline, Millions and Millions of years is enough to wipe their destruction clean. Carbon would be re-absorbed into the earth, metal would become deposits, etc.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: NCIS Game Next Month Sep 21, 2011, 18:00 kanniballl

^Drag0n^ wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 16:12:
EddieTheHack wrote on Sep 21, 2011, 13:46:
unless it has a Tyrannosaur involved homocide in it I'm not interested at all.

That is SO last year....CSI: already did that on TV.

^D^

Psych also had a dino-themed death a few years back.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > PC Arkham City Delayed Until November
32. Re: PC Arkham City Delayed Until November Sep 20, 2011, 18:43 kanniballl

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 14:37:

nVidia didn't invent 3D or physics support, yet they deliberately make them proprietary and use their dominance in the market to undermine ATi/AMD. That's not good for consumers in the long-term and I oppose it. I didn't realise it was cool to support sleazy business practices.

At least at one point, the nVidia Linux drivers were a hell of a lot more open than ATI.

Also, don't both ATI *and* nVidia have their own proprietary anti-aliasing going on?

I've had bad experience with ATI twice in a row, and only 1 real bad problem with nVidia on a laptop. So far nVidia still has my brand loyalty. ATI, no such much.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games
59. Re: Netflix Renames DVD Rental Service, Adds Video Games Sep 20, 2011, 18:08 kanniballl

wrlwnd wrote on Sep 20, 2011, 12:40:
I don't get the average American consumer anymore.

Why all the love for streaming?

First and foremost, streaming quality SUCKS compared to Blu-Ray. Why buy that nice new HDTV if you're just gonna watch sucky compressed content on it?

Buy a clue people.

Some things actually work well, like iTunes (which isn't really streaming but still decent). Supposedly Vudu's HDX is alright too.

Neither are anywhere near BluRay's quality but I can vouch for iTunes looking nicer than most HD FIOS.

I don't do it for everything, but when I want something now (spur of the moment) then I usually iTunes the thing. The BlockBuster near me closed down and the vending machine at my A&P (grocery) isn't that well stocked.

If I know that "I'm going to watch X over the weekend a few days from now" then I'll make other arrangements.

OR if it's something that's just pure eye candy (like Avatar) in which case I want every bit of quality available.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month
15. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:57 kanniballl

Krovven wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 15:01:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 12:30:
What exactly does DC Universe bring to the table besides it's license?

It's on the PS3 console, where City of Heroes is not.

It has a few things going for it, but even more going against it. If you find the game on sale, it's probably worth a $30 or $40 price tag if you're into the whole Super Hero MMO thing... now that it's FTP.

I was pleasantly surprised at first, so much so that I went LifeTime Sub on it. Decent action, played with the DC license, more casual, etc. And with promise of more (like new powers) to come.

But its casual nature and lack of updates made me grow sick of it quick.

Pros
- DC license, a BIG deal to some
- All mission text is recited by TV actors... and for the most part done VERY well
- Travel Power right away
- Decent looking graphics, not GREAT but not bad either.
- Casual Player Friendly... you can max easily and pick up where you left off.
- On the PS3, WITH a console-friendly input.
- Costume changes on-the-fly without having to pay in-game points to change around.

Cons
- Too casual / too quick to Max Level
- Too little content, with not enough updates
- Too few power sets, especially the classics like "Super Strength" or "Energy Emission" So you're always looking like something very theme-heavy
- Too much armor, not enough "spandex"
- Population was insanely poor before Server Merge / Super Server. Now is only "alright"
- Long outages due to hacks.
- Cant do a major respec, like Travel Powers or going from fire to ice. Especially travel.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2011, 17:03.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month
14. Re: DC Universe Online Goes Free Next Month Sep 19, 2011, 16:52 kanniballl

Talisorn wrote on Sep 19, 2011, 16:46:
Doesn't anyone remember this game was going to be F2P from the beginning and the sub was added later? I'm betting this was on the cards all along ...

Yeh, I recall devs (or someone) saying that they were thinking about going F2P before they released.

Don't recall if it was official, or just "we're playing with the idea."

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2011, 17:03.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo