Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2011, 20:21 kanniballl

I have a problem with the logic of the naming, not a "problem" problem just a head-shaker.

• You give a sport the same name as an already popular sport.

• And the name itself doesn't really fit the sport that well... the ball only interacts with the foot on rare occasions. Where-as global "football" is all about the foot / ball interaction.

• I grew to hate American Football... back in High School I was never a huge fan. But being in marching band meant I had to attend just about every game no matter how cruddy the weather was or how cold it got.

So I'd either bake in my wool uniform and sweat, or deal with snow or cold-rain in the basic rain coats.

Maybe if I was a bigger fan it wouldn't be so annoying... but if you already dislike the sport then doing that for 4 years is enough to push you to the dark side.

At least that's my opinion....

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year
    14. Re: How about Half-Life... Oct 22, 2011, 10:51 kanniballl

Elessar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 16:26:
    Never mind the fact that they just released FREE DLC that was indicative of quality time spent developing it. So no, they're not just sitting around designing hats/gestures and counting money.

Do you even know if they do or don't have separate teams working on different products? You just assume all resources at Valve are working on Portal 2 content? Highly unlikely. They may deserve some flack for the lack of HL:Ep3 news, but imo gtfo of here with your rants in a thread about MORE FREE updates to an awesome game.

I am quite aware that different teams work on different things.

But the last Episode of Half Life was years ago.

Some sort of announcement at least of another Episode or at least a full game coming down the pipe in X years would be nice.

• Sure, for all I know they have a full dev team working on the next incarnation of Half Life... rebuilding the engine from the ground up. And that they're keeping it a secret.

• Or perhaps they have the minimum team just working on up-keep and brainstorming ideas.

• As a software developer, I know somewhere up the food chain is a person (or a group) that dictates which project will be worked on, which project gets what % of the resources, etc. Someone there needs to say "OK, let's put some of our resources into Half-Life"

This comment was edited on Oct 22, 2011, 12:24.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Portal 2 "Major Update" Free Next Year
    2. How about Half-Life... Oct 21, 2011, 16:01 kanniballl

Fine, if you want to drop the franchise then so be it... but at least finish off that friggin' story line.

You ended the last Episode of a psuedo cliff-hanger and haven't touched it since.

Stop counting your money and making robot gestures and hats, and finish off the friggin story line.'

I don't care THAT much anymore about the story... but I have a kind of OCD about finishing games that I care(d) about. And thinking back to Half-Life... my mind says "more to come... need to finish off after a cliff hanger." But there's never anything coming.

/Rant

-Fry, Futurama

5. DC Still Hopes For Oct 17, 2011, 12:40 kanniballl

I hope they make a sequel, but I won't hold me breath.

I liked Green Lantern...it wasn't GREAT but I enjoyed it for what it was. Granted, I'm also a Green Lantern comic fan so maybe that made it more enjoyable... but I have to admit that the animated films were better.

If nothing else than to see where the final (after-credits) scene picks up.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
    4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 17, 2011, 08:52 kanniballl

TheDrifter73 wrote on Oct 17, 2011, 00:35:
    I've heard from dozens of people who bought the iPhone 4s, and not once did any of them mention that they bought the phone for Siri, or that they were excited over the phone because of Siri.
    They got it, and were excited over it, because . . . OMG, IT'S THE NEW IPHONE, I HAVE TO HAVE IT BECAUSE, BECAUSE, BECAUSE, I HAVE TO HAVE IT!!!!!

I didn't get one, but out of the 3 family members that bought the 4S this weekend...
  • One bought it for Siri instead of an older 4, so she can do some stuff without the UI and more hands-free stuff

• The second LOVES the Siri function, talks about it all of the time, and uses it a lot.

• The third I haven't talked to much since, but prior to getting it he said he really wanted to try it out.

• I skipped it, sure it's a lot faster and has Siri... but I'd have to pay full-price for it. And the iPhone4 still works great.

-

-Fry, Futurama

19. The Big Bang Theory - Brent Spiner: Mortal Enemy Oct 14, 2011, 13:44 kanniballl

That was a good episode of Big Bang Theory last night.

I was half-expecting another evil move by Wheaton, akin to the destruction during their bowling match.

Instead he decided to play the good guy, and Dat... er... Brent got to cheese it up.

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 13:27 kanniballl

Jim wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 13:22:
    It always saddens me a bit to read about another long-established analog tech being relegated to the history books. While a small part of it is nostalgia, my biggest concern is that the more stuff we create on digital medium only, the more likely it becomes that it will be lost since there is no physical record of it. Hence I worry that we are heading towards an inevitable "Digital Library of Alexandria" scenario unless we can find ways to mass-archive a lot of this stuff.

Wasn't there a scene in the old Roller Ball film...

Like they completely digitized all of the libraries... and in one of the scenes with James Caan they said the master PC took a dump and permanently lost an entire era or category of History? I think the technician wrote it off as "oh well" but James Caan looked sad.

Technically, going digital means that unless something super-bad happens (like global EMP or Mad Max scenario) nothing should ever really be lost. Like a warehouse fire shouldn't (hopefully) lose the complete works of <something> assuming the people know how to properly backup off-site. Or for someone like Lucas to (cough) lose the original pre-CGI prints of Episodes IV - VI

On the other hand, digital is kind of a short-term medium. If all of humanity just died right now, those CDs/DVDs/HDDs would only last some years or decades. Then again, the cheap paper we use now probably wouldn't fair TOO much better.

I say we use more parchmanet for the important written works... or laser-etched stone/titanium/etc.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 2011, 13:40.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 13:23 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Oct 14, 2011, 12:30:
    Oh, and Cadbury Egg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> all

Yeh, I love those things too, but they're too rich for me now. So even around Easter (when they're everywhere) I only have like 2 total... like 1 on Easter and 1 the day after.

-Fry, Futurama

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2011, 10:53 kanniballl

That's one of the things I hate about Halloween... my lacking of willpower.

I'm not much of a candy guy: Kit Kats, PB cups, and Reese's. I don't touch ANYTHING else... save maybe PB M&M's and occasionally Twix. And I only indulge around Halloween.

But before and after Halloween I see myself snacking on those things... something I'd rather not do since I'm classifying myself as "old" now. I have a hard enough time with the weight, I don't need that stuff to make it worse.

I'd bring them to work to share, but everyone else already does that so it's pointless. "Do you want my Halloween candy? No, do you want mine?"

And I was raised to believe that throwing out food is wasteful.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Into the Black
    3. Re: Into the Black Oct 14, 2011, 10:34 kanniballl

DangerDog wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 23:52:
    True, meanwhile Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs.

Yeh, really.

The guy was big, famous, rich, and did a lot for the tech world. And I could understand if the news cycle the following day was more-or-less dedicated to him.

But it went on way too long, kind of like the Michael Jackson thing. Meanwhile you have strangers crying and setting up shrines and what-not.

At least it died down some.

As someone that only casually used Macs on-and-off for a few years, I respected the man some-what... and thought it was ridiculous some of the hate he was getting after his death. But enough is a enough.

-Fry, Futurama

46. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 20:59 kanniballl

nin wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 18:19:
    Flintstones, meet the Flintstones.

Is that the version with the pterodactyl that types your code onto rock tablets?

This is quickly turning into tease Blue day. I have an excuse, I'm on painkillers...

(Sorry, Blue! )

Hey, be kind.

If it was good enough to chisel the 10 Commandments, it's good enough to render Blues. /rimshot

In all seriousness, if it ain't broke... don't fix it. Re-inventing the wheel (or a website) every X years might feed a consultant's family (or give a programmer something to do) but it's boring and only a handful of users ever notice. The projects I despise the most are "Let's migrate from platform X to Y for this website/application because Y is newer."

Keep on trucking Blue... besides Slashdot you're the only site I've visited since the 90's... and I'm not here for the whiz-bang features and eye-candy.

Content > Delivery
    -

This comment was edited on Oct 13, 2011, 21:07.

-Fry, Futurama

36. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 16:20 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 15:00:
    jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:54:
    Now if we could just get more competition in the PC CPU industry...

Apple's hard at work at creating their own CPUs. Of course, they'll be of little use to PC users...

Creston

Eh, I hadn't heard that. Last I heard they were happy in the Intel camp. It's really hard to make as much fun about Macs as you used to.

But considering how long they held onto the PPC cpus, I wouldn't put it past them. But I think that was mostly Steve's "thing" and with him gone I'd *imagine* they'll stick with the status quo.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 11:35 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 11:11:
    What's the extension situation like on Chrome these days? Whenever I try it out I end up getting frustrated that I can't quite get it like how I enjoyed Firefox. These days the memory/launch speeds of Firefox are pretty much on par with Chrome so I'm not worried about that.

It's improved. I think it was
    A) First no real plugins
    B) Then plugins with limited functionality / browser interaction
    C) Much better functionality / interaction

I don't know if it's at FireFox's level... but it eventually got to the point that a real AdBlock plugin could be made.

I don't have many feelings either way... but if I pick one on 1 PC I try to use it on all of my machines. And just settled on Chrome.

FireFox is great now though so I wouldn't mind switching back.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 11:00 kanniballl

Bucky wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 10:44:
    It's a surprise that Chrome keeps giving you that error, I've been using it for a couple of years now and I've never seen that. Considering I still haven't broken myself of the habit of closing the browser instead of just minimizing it, you'd think I'd have seen it at least once by now.

Agreed, I've only had the crash-thing come up once or twice... and that was ONLY immediately after Flash crashed the browser so I'd expect it. It didn't keep coming up again and again.

Honestly, the ONLY time I ever have a problem with Chrome is one of my banking sites. I forget which, but on occasion if I have to reset my password, the Social Security Number textbox doesn't work quite right.

I like Chrome a little more than Fire Fox, and only by a little bit since the semi-recent version of FF reduced its UI to look like Chrome. I jumped back-and-forth between them until Chrome got a proper Ad Block plugin.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 19:57 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 19:42:

Some guy standing out front of your house taking pictures - whilst is his right - is an entirely different matter. Soemone taking shots of a secured facility like a nuclear plant is another still. However, someone taking pictures in a quasi-public place such as a mall is the height of rampant paranoia. The staff from the ice-cream became suspicious? Yeah, because families never go to malls or take pictures of their kids doing shit like enjoying ice cream. It's no wonder these idiots work in an ice-cream shop in a mall in the first place! Like some terrorist is going to walk in by himself dressed like a muslim going to Haj taking pictures of strategic places to plant a bomb and muttering "Alluh Akbar" all the while. It just boggles the fucking mind.

Couple that with the fact that Britain is pretty much and Orwellian nightmare as it is with CCTV covering cities top to bottom and all I can say is I'm glad I don't live there, and I don't want that sort of shit ending up here. Ben Franklin was right on what he said then and it goes doubly so now.

Oh I know it, every few months a story like this would come up. I recall closer to 2001 security at some malls and such actually confiscated and/or destroyed phones. Way overboard. I *think* I even recall a story involving a flippin public park or something.

Meanwhile, some posts under the news story say there aren't any signs (though take that with a grain of salt).

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2011, 18:16 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 14:27:
    Father can't take a picture of his child enjoying some ice-cream because of a bunch of paranoid morons? And some people wonder why I have near zero faith in humanity. George Orwell must be laughing his ass off right now.

When I read the title, I figured it was because they were afraid he was a pedo or something.

But it turned out it was because he was being "dangerous to security." Really?

If a psycho-bomber (or a terrorist) was scoping out the place he'd (A) be more covert and (B) not rely on photos but sketches / approx measurements / blueprints / etc.

Then again, I'd probably get annoyed if some guy was standing on the street in front of my house continuously taking pictures of my house... but that's another matter.

-Fry, Futurama

35. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 11:55 kanniballl

Ant wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 10:39:
    Hey man. Back then, we were serious PC gamers. Oh DOS/4GW, MultiConfigs, etc. FTW!

I recall having a bunch of boot disks (floppies) lying around, between balancing XMS vs EMS, different sound driver settings (when I finally got a sound card), etc. I think I eventually had some GoTo setup for autoexec.

Yikes, if things were like that now... I'd definitely be in the Console camp. Not that it's too advanced for me to tweak stuff here-and-there, but I'm at an age now that I just don't want to fiddle with settings and parameters just to be able to *start* to have fun. My work-day is filled with enough of that, I just want play.

-Fry, Futurama

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 10:37 kanniballl

Ant wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:46:
    Hoop wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 23:31:
    I miss the good old days, buggy games, slow essentially office computers that needed fine tuning, waiting on patches just so you could move forward (oh wait go pay full price for Carmacks console optimised RAGE), ICQ meet ups in gamespy, paying $1000.00 for a harddrive that had 800meg of pure space!
    Conventional memory (DOS 4 was terrible!), XMS, EMS, EMM386, QEMM, Stacker and Double(Space/Bin) for those precious HDD, dial-up modems, WinQuake, QuakeWorld, DOOM, Dwango, SirDOOM, Kali (it is still around), IPS/SPX, 16550 UART, VLB, VESA with SciTech Display Doctor, Netscape, etc. Now you younglings get off our old farts' lawns!

Man, why'd you have to go mention some of those things. Tweaking my config and autoexec to get the whole XMS/EMS thing "just right" for certain games was a pain... especially since I had that space-doubler thing running to give us more HD space.

Really, one of the things I liked the most about PC gaming's changes/evolution over the last 1-2 decades was a lot of games are just install-and-forget (and a Driver update here-and-there).

-Fry, Futurama

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2011, 08:22 kanniballl

Congrats Blue.

I've been coming here regularly since college, so probably around 1998 or 1999... 2000 the latest.

I'd visit occasionally before-hand, but not too often.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    2. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 8, 2011, 11:14 kanniballl

That's a tall order... all of the big companies in the US practically lock you in no matter what. Verizon phones only work on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile phones *can* interchange but you lose 3G (and higher), Sprint is (I think) only for Sprint, etc. Between GSM and CDMA, and the different GSM frequencies the different carriers use.

I don't know of any (or many) phones that bypass this.

My impression is the iPhone hardware handles the antenna for multiple carriers, so I guess that would let you switch and maintain decent speeds.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 16.
    < Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo