Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 16:26 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 16:22:
I don't know why you would come here asking for thoughts about Alienware or Apple... they are either one vastly overpriced.

This looks like a solid laptop at a good price:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366396

For any gaming just make sure it has a nice, new 560m graphics chip. The only thing going against that particular laptop is the lack of a BRD.

I was just listing those "as examples" of things that offer i7 Quad's with high GHz's.

As for ASUS, interesting.... one friend swears by them while another said a recent one he had sucked big time.

As for Apple, I may have to do dual-OS developing in 2012... so I figured 1 MacBook Pro was better than 1 Windows Laptop + 1 MacMini (or something).

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 15:53 kanniballl

Off-topic, but since I trust you guys more than the random forum poster...

What're your thoughts on the various laptop brands? Pretty much, who makes the most solid laptop out there.

I'm looking for something
A) Stable
B) Fairly speedy (i7 Quad)
C) SOLID CONSTRUCTION

I don't need ruggedized drop-proof construction, but something that feels solid (chassis and keyboard). Which ones do you guys recommend?

I was thinking Alienware, Dell, or (gasp) maybe a MacBook Pro dual-booted.

My last laptop was a 2007 MacBook Pro, prior to that was a 1999/2000 Dell Inspiron. The Dell was fairly flimsy but I don't know what's solid/flimsy in the Windows notebook world anymore.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Hard Drives Nov 3, 2011, 14:09 kanniballl

Capella wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 13:44:
What are you guys hearing about hard drive shortages? Got an email today from our HP rep and it sounds like things are getting pretty bad. At first I thought it was just a scare tactic but after doing a little googeling it sounds like things might get bad.

I do know for a fact prices have skyrocketed!

Yeh, the floods in Thailand have apparently been really bad. Like the worst in over 50 years.

It looks like a lot of PC hardware (or their components) come from the region... hence the hard-drive shortage. Someone told me they just read that prices may suck until Spring 2012.

I was actually looking at getting a new rig this December... either a nice laptop or maybe an iMac for a nice all-in-one. I might wait till Spring/Summer now since my desktop is still more than fine.

-Fry, Futurama

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 12:14 kanniballl

Since some people asked yesterday...

Still no power today, though things are looking hopeful. Most of the town is back online including sections fairly close to my house. So I'm hoping for today or tomorrow.

I'm in NJ, near the border of Morris and Union counties. It's weird, some areas near us got hit really hard while others RIGHT NEXT to us were nowhere near as bad.

Honestly, the only thing keeping me sane and not running for a hotel is my iPad which I charge at work and have loaded with some TV shows and movies. The battery on this thing HAS to be violating some rules of thermal dynamics... it's almost obscene how much charge it gets compared to the various laptops I've owned over the years.

I can solve lack-of-heat with layers of clothing, but hate reading in low-light.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 12:11 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Nov 3, 2011, 10:49:
Five reasons why Always Sunny is not the best show on TV:
1) Archer
2) Community
3) Breaking Bad

Ok, that's 3. I do not know if I can come up with 2 more that I'd say are absolutely better.

That's OK, at LEAST two of those are so good they deserved to be counted twice

But yeh, Always Sunny is definitely in my "top tier" list of shows.

-

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 09:32 kanniballl

Sugarman wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 22:36:
Didn't watch Archer until about 2 months ago, soaked up all the episodes up until the latest, I'm hooked, it has to be one of my favorite shows now.

I honestly have watched Archer Season 1 over a dozen times. It makes for a quick-and-easy marathon run since it's only 4 hours total.

Season 2 was good, though I still love the first one the most.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2011, 08:36 kanniballl

Enahs wrote on Nov 2, 2011, 11:31:
Where are you at kanniballl?

New Jersey, border of Union County and Morris County.

Still without power Thursday morning, though things are looking more promising. Most of the town is back now and areas close to my neighborhood are back up.

Still stinks though... I'm running low on clean clothes. The laundromat only got power back yesterday but the place was PACKED.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online Freed
1. Re: DC Universe Online Freed Nov 2, 2011, 10:29 kanniballl

If you can find the client for dirt cheap (like $10-$25), it might be worth a purchase if you're in a dead-zone between new title releases.

It's not a bad game, just not enough to warrant keeping the subscription going for more than 1-2 months.

Also, it's more action-y (and less deep) than regular mmoRPG's. And I actually really dig using a XBox gamepad for the input since weapon attacks use key combos.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2011, 10:26 kanniballl

So here we are, Wednesday morning and still no power or heat since Saturday morning.

This sucks. My only browsing is via work, nothing to do at night, and it's freezing cold. When it started, the hotels were all booked up... now I don't know if it's worth it to stay at one as I *hope* (or at least imagine) we'll get it back within a few days.

20+ years in this town, and this has never happened to our house. This sucks.

I wonder if the town will be restored by Friday's planned "Halloween" rain date?

-

This comment was edited on Nov 2, 2011, 10:33.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2011, 13:56 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 1, 2011, 12:08:
It was pretty busy here in Minnesota. In an unfortunate event, a girl was struck by a car after getting dropped off at home after trick or treating and darted between cars in front of an oncoming car. She didn't appear to have any obvious injuries that I could diagnose on the scene, but was transported to the hospital to get checked out. She was most likely in shock, but hopefully is fine. I feel pretty bad for the driver, as it didn't appear to be their fault - just wrong place at the wrong time....
That sucks, but at least it sounds like she'll make it.

Nice for you to comment on the driver, even if it wasn't his fault and even if she winds up perfectly OK... I imagine he's gonna feel like garbage for quite a while.

Too many people automatically say "driver is at fault, he deserves the chair" but even going the speed limit and having very good reflexes, sometimes people just run out at the wrong moment and the car can't stop on time. A brake pedal isn't magical. Though I have no idea if everything was on the up-and-up here.

Like I said yesterday, when it's Halloween I do NOT drive once the sun goes down. Way too risky.

-

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2011, 10:57 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 20:21:
kanniballl wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 16:18:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 15:38:
nin wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 13:45:

Arkham City players: Don't forget to talk to Calendar Man today...

oh yea! Was just talking to my buddy yesterday about that....hope I don't forget when I get home.
Why?

From what I hear, can't you just mess with the system clock and hear his script from all of the holidays?

Or does the "Achievement" (or Badge or whatever) only go through the 'Net clock.

Dunno, I am one of those people that doesn' tdo that stuff....actually means something if you do it on the day you are supposed to.....to me I guess...

I see where you're coming from. I try not to cheat stuff or game the system.

But it's very rare that a game will keep my attention for more than a month. And I love to read/hear/watch/whatever all of the content I can.

Waiting a whole year to cycle, and remembering to watch on the holidays, would be too much for me. At least if I stopped playing the game a few months back.

I'd rather play it through a couple of times straight... then when I'm about done just do what I can to see those remaining Easter eggs and such.

-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Superpack of 400 wolves in Russia. Nov 1, 2011, 10:54 kanniballl

Apparently we got a robo-message too, I think it's been pushed to Friday (Nov 4th).

I guess everyone got the message, or used common sense, as we not no trick-or-treaters. Since only a couple of blocks in town got power restored by yesterday... the entire town is still dark and covered in branches + trees + downed power lines.

-

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 2011, 11:02.

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2011, 08:20 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 17:58:
Today was the first day I decided to use Red Box (to get Attack the Block) and today Red Box prices rose 20%.

What the FUCK!

... yes, it was only a 20 cent rise, but hardly an auspicious day for me to start red boxing.

Yeh, I heard about this a while ago on Slashdot. There was a lot of arguing on the Slashdot forums: either people were outraged or people thought it wasn't a big deal.

Really, it's not that big of a deal. You figure, even if you rent a movie every day (which is a LOT) that's only a $6 increase per month. Most people I know do at most 1 or 2 per week (and not every week-month). So for them, they're paying an extra $1.60 per month.

The prices of everything else go up, I don't see why something at such an already low price going up a little matters.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 16:18 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 15:38:
nin wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 13:45:

Arkham City players: Don't forget to talk to Calendar Man today...

oh yea! Was just talking to my buddy yesterday about that....hope I don't forget when I get home.

Why?

From what I hear, can't you just mess with the system clock and hear his script from all of the holidays?

Or does the "Achievement" (or Badge or whatever) only go through the 'Net clock.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 13:20 kanniballl

If you need to be out and about this evening, please be careful, as studies have shown that this night is by far the most likely time for children to be hit by cars.

It's sad and scary how the parents let their kids behave on Halloween. I'm not talking about the pranks, but running across the street.

This is *not* an old-man "Get off my lawn" rant, just a practical "I don't want children to die needlessly" plead to the parents sleep-walking through their duties.

Too many years, I'd see some parents chaperoning a group of kids wearing all-black costumes, not caring at all that the kid decided to last-minute bolt across the street in front of a car (sometimes mine).

The parent either doesn't react, or gets angry at the driver. Once the parent even laughed, something akin to "aww, that scamp will never learn."

Seriously, parents (or chaperoning adults) need to have better control. And the parents themselves need to teach their kids better. Where I grew up (old neighborhood), you had to learn to look-both-ways else become road kill. It's not that hard to teach.

As a rule, I do NOT drive anywhere on Halloween night anymore unless *absolutely necessary.* Too many close calls of almost hitting Batman (in the black-costume variant), The Punisher, Darth Vader, Neo (from the Matrix) and countless other hard-to-see costumes. Heck, even regular gray/blue/etc costumes can be hard to see on roads without much light.

If you're not going to take the time to teach or watch your kid, at least enforce they have some glow-in-the-dark or battery-lit thing on them. And don't get pissed at the driver that had to slam on the brakes because their hyper kid decided to bolt.

Let the kids run around and have fun, burn off all that sugar. Just make sure they're not running into traffic.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 13:32.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: ad question Oct 31, 2011, 12:23 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 31, 2011, 11:19:
So, 2 weeks ago I was craving Jimmy Johns, and used a work laptop to google the locations around here to see if one was close. Now the only banner ad that shows up is JJ. (at work on same machine) Do the ads pickup that data and then use it to advertise? I have never seen a JJ ad otherwise around here....and now I want a JJ sammich....

I *think* it was on Blues...

I was browsing for Bowling Balls on my iPad a few weeks ago (my only device without any ad-blocking). Google and Bing web searches for reviews, visited some of standard sites (bowling.com, bowlingball.com), watched some YouTube video reviews, etc.

I'm *pretty* sure that later in the day when I hit bluesnews.com I was seeing Bowling Ball ads at the top. I don't see that as something Blues would normally show and said "huh, I guess his ad provider is doing cookie tracking."

So maybe there's some cookie stuff going on?

-Edit-
Just checked my iPad... and low-and-behold I have a bowlingball.com ad on the right-hand-side. So my memory was correct.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 12:29.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 10:31 kanniballl

I'm wondering what's going to happen with Halloween this year.

Our whole NJ town is still dark after the storm, there are still downed lines all over the place as well as trees + branches. It's really a mess (details on Sunday's post).

I just don't see parents letting their kids do anything tonight. It's just too dangerous, as some branches are hanging by a thread.

Meanwhile, even logically it's just messed up. With everyone's lights out and so many people staying at hotels... which houses do you go to? Which ones are bothering with candy? The old rule of No Lights = No Candy doesn't exactly work here.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 09:23 kanniballl

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 16:50:
Zadig wrote on Oct 30, 2011, 13:51:
The last 2 winters in the northeast were bad, but reading about 19 inches of snow in NJ before Halloween is absolutely mindboggling. Makes me very happy I moved south.
Meh. Nothing really out of the ordinary, it's rare but it happens. Just remember that the first few founding years that the settlers landed and started setting up along the east coast, the winters were so severe that 10ft snows for the winter and 90% of the population being wiped out was pretty common.

And they walked to the village up a hill through the snow, BOTH WAYS.

True, parts of the world consider 19" little more than just flurries. My parents lived in Poland and had some supposedly severe winters.

But I really doubt the settlers that wound up in what would eventually be NJ or NY had 10' snowfalls. Maybe 10' snow DRIFTS, or after various separate snow falls they had 10'. Maybe further north / northwest they dealt with that (Canada and such).

Besides, the oddity here isn't the amount as it is the time of year. A decent snowfall in October while many of the leaves haven't even changed yet (let alone fallen) is rare for the region.

Normally I don't have a problem with the weather, but the trees really took a beating... as well as everything under them (like us).

-

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 09:37.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 31, 2011, 08:37 kanniballl

My town is trashed. All of the trees still alive with green leaves pretty much just gave way. It was like "The Happening" only instead of neuro-toxin the trees just decided to bomb the hell out of the houses and power lines.

Just got to work

Lost power + heat Saturday before noon. Most of the town lost power during the day, the rest of the town went completely dark by the evening.

Lost the local cell phone tower Saturday night, the next nearest one is too far away so I can't reliably make calls... and forget about data.

The cruddiest weekend I've had in a while. The most I could do was read during the day, and didn't have enough light to read comfortably at night. Couldn't go outside because it was dangerous, the same with driving (not that many roads were open anyway). Meanwhile, it got cold so being without heat blew chunks.

It's NEVER been this bad in the over-20 years I've lived here. White-out conditions, pieces of hurricanes, Nor Easters... never had much of a problem til this weekend. Maybe a couple of hours of no power would be the worst we'd get.

Mr Winter timed it perfectly. In another month the trees would've been bare enough that it wouldn't matter. But having that canopy just made everything collapse.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 08:56.

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2011, 15:47 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on Oct 28, 2011, 12:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 27, 2011, 22:24:
Put in a 10 hour session into Dead Island via 360 to 360 link. Damn that is fun. 2 big screen tvs next to eachother, laughing, drinking beers, hanging out. Good times. The game is a hell of a lot of fun.

I used to lug about 100 lbs worth of computer equipment around for lan parties... That is, a 19" CRT (50 lbs), and a monster Antec (made of steel) case, and accessories...

But Taking a big screen to a friend's for a 'lan party' sounds crazy...

Maybe that's not the case... Maybe you have two... But either way, I find it funny : )

-Alamar

Eh, Plasmas are heavy but LEDs are quite light. A 32" LED is neither heavy nor cumbersome. Something like a 42" might be more difficult to hold right but it shouldn't bee too hard.

An XBox 360 can fit in a backpack and you can carry an LED into the house no problem.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo