Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2011, 11:28 kanniballl

On one hand, I can see the passengers getting annoyed... they were an hour late due to this. But I've been on flights way more than an hour late and it was never the passenger's fault. The stuff they were saying to the news-cameras at their destination was a bit harsh.

Really, unless he was going insane in the cabin I'd probably applaud him. The plane's not moving, sitting at the terminal, and they're giving him sh** about still using the portable device. Kind of like a celebrity protest: "this is bullsh** and we're not going to take it anymore."

I'm not saying Alec is "all there" or the "calmest person" after his little voicemail reveal... but it's a principal of the thing. A little device like that isn't going to affect anything... yet they halt the flight AND kick him off for it.

Then again, it's not like this was a new post-911 regulation... they've been asking you to stop using eletronic devices for years.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DC Universe Online Updated
1. Re: DC Universe Online Updated Dec 7, 2011, 00:37 kanniballl

I haven't really done anything, but from I hear on the forums... people are ticked. To access the new content you need an Armor Rating (or whatever) of 53. Meaning your armor should be mostly T2 (or there-a-bouts).

From what I hear, that's a lot easier to do now-a-days. It used to be, after a WEEK you gained enough for maybe 1/2 or 1/3 of a piece of T2 armor due to limits on rewards to repeating content. Supposedly you can *now* make in a day what you could in a week in terms of T2 tokens.

Still, some people are annoyed.

I think they dropped the ball with this game... it had serious potential for a good MMOG (not so much an RPG) but their lack of support and some design decisions are killing it fast.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2011, 13:05 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Dec 6, 2011, 12:50:
To each his own, I find turkey to be the most boring thing to eat. It's only saving grace is in a sandwich with a shitload of mayonnaise or covered in gravy to the point where it stops being turkey and instead forms a new meat group.

The day after Christmas we do all of the fun stuff to eat - ribs, wings, fries, etc. If I'm going to be bad then I'd rather do it right

As a young kid, Turkey was my favorite sandwich / deli meat. Now, I try to avoid it... it ranks just above Ham for me (my least favorite deli meat).

Honestly, I'm not even a huge fan of Turkey dinner... EXCEPT for Thanksgiving due to all of the fixin's. The stuffing, the veggies, the cranberry jelly, etc. All together Thanksgiving makes for a delicious meal, but the turkey by itself isn't really something I enjoy (the gravy takes the edge off, but still).

Heck, as boring as people find Chicken I like it a heck of a lot more... and my favorite deli meat is thinly deli-sliced chicken breast (same texture as the turkey). However not a lot of delis offer that by me so I have to buy it myself.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours
24. Re: A Game of Thrones RPG = 30 Hours Dec 5, 2011, 15:26 kanniballl

saluk wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 13:42:
30 hours is fine for me. Any longer than that and I really don't have a chance of finishing the game. More concerning is that this game is going to be trash. Sad but true. If only cd projekt were making it. Oh well, moving on...

Agreed: too many hours (like more than 30 or 40) and my completion-rates go down. Partially from boredom, partially because after a while the devs just start phoning it in; at least in the last decade.

I'm all for shorter games SO LONG AS they keep it high quality. Nothing bothers me more than when the devs/designers "hit a wall" on a great game... and phone in a good chunk of the last %. Such as tart out great and innovative, and end with jumping puzzles / repetitive tripe / etc.

I know Halo wasn't everyone's cup of tea (especially here) but it's my prime example: an alright shooter (the first decent console shooter) that started out OK. And then the designers just started copy/paste'ing levels and later making you run through the levels backwards. I mean, copy/pasting the seemingly-endless staircase level just to add to the game's clock-time? Really?

There are other examples, this one just jumps into my mind. Even Half-Life suffered a little after the first half.

Which is why I wasn't against Episodic content at the beginning... smaller chunks make it less likely for the designers getting bored and phoning it in / copy-paste'ing / etc. So long as the price was... adequate and the release schedule was acceptable I'd be fine with it.

Unfortunately practically nobody really delivered on Episodic Content correctly.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch This Week
28. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch This Week Dec 5, 2011, 11:31 kanniballl

yuastnav wrote on Dec 5, 2011, 08:56:
I hate to burst your bubble but when someone says "better" or "worse" it is automatically his or her opinion. It is generally not possible to confuse something like that with a "definitive" "better" or "worse" mostly because something "definitive" does not really exist.

True, 99.999% of the time... using better/best worse/worst is all subjective.

But there are objective scenarios:
  • Which has the better survivor rate: leukemia or a common cold?

• Who's has the better batting average: guy with 450 average or the guy with a 100 average?

• But I hear people say "Car X is better than Car Y" when they're comparing apples and oranges (compact coupe vs full sedan). It may be better for YOU but it's hard to grade X and Y when there are too many differences.

-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: House of the Rising Sun Dec 4, 2011, 12:02 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Dec 3, 2011, 20:07:
    Oh come on! Say what you want but it was an entertaining flick.

Agreed

-

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2011, 13:32 kanniballl

I realize the first one didn't follow the book very well, and am not against a remake on those reasons. Heck, we're remaking Spidey after only a couple of years.

Just be careful what you wish for... they tried to remake "The Shining" since the original didn't follow the book that closely either... and the remake wasn't that good.

However I did enjoy the first Starship Troopers (and ONLY the first) film. It was a parody into how things are and could be... kind of like a lot of the scenes in Robocop (with the whole super Capitalism / Reaganomics / etc).

The other 2 sequels were very weak, but I still enjoy watching the first one from time to time.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DOOM III Source Code Released
    25. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 16:46 kanniballl

Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 16:11:
    kanniballl wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 15:57:
    Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:06:
    CeeJay wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 13:27:
    Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out the year before Doom3 and both looked better and ran better.

It was the big surprise that year.

Check your dates

On the PC, Doom 3 came out first. Aug 2004 vs Dec 2004

On XBox 360, Riddick came out first. Jun 2004 vs Apr 2005

Obviously, the better comparison is the PC.

You might want to check your dates on the xbox 360 as well

From Wikipedia, which admittedly can be wrong.

Riddick:
    Xbox
    - NA June 1, 2004
    - EU August 13, 2004
    Microsoft Windows
    - EU December 3, 2004
    - NA December 8, 2004

Doom 3
    Windows
    - NA August 3, 2004
    - EU August 13, 2004
    Xbox
    - NA April 3, 2005
    - EU April 8, 2005

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 15:58 kanniballl

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:19:
    I for one was pretty damn impressed with Doom 3 when it came out. I remember everyone else on my forums at the time loving it, sharing little stories about their time with it. I don't think it was the best game ever, but it does sadden me about that years later people seem to enjoy acting like it was this abject failure.

I don't consider it a failure, just that *I* don't think it measures up to the hype.

It was a somewhat-fun mindless shooter that did some impressive stuff. Gameplay was lacking and the monsters were a bit lackluster but it was alright. It was spooky (enough to make me jump once or twice) but was too dark. And frankly, as much as I can appreciate (as a developer) how tough real shadows are... I don't care for them.

Personally I'd gave it a B or B+ back then. Some people I talk to now STILL give it an A+... which I don't agree with. But it's all subjective.

Personally I had more fun with Quake 4 over Doom 3 (though they had the same engine).

-

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 15:57 kanniballl

Halo wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 14:06:
    CeeJay wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 13:27:
    Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay came out the year before Doom3 and both looked better and ran better.

It was the big surprise that year.

Check your dates

On the PC, Doom 3 came out first. Aug 2004 vs Dec 2004

On XBox 360, Riddick came out first. Jun 2004 vs Apr 2005

Obviously, the better comparison is the PC.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2011, 13:07 kanniballl

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 12:14:
    Did anyone in NJ see the crazy ass anomaly last night? At around 1am the sky started flashing different colors for a few minutes then the power went out. It was aliens I swear to god. It was so bright it was like day time. I didn't even have to turn on the lights(well I couldn't since the power was fluctuating). This was all proceeded by a giant rumble, like a plane flying very very low but I wasn't near any airports.

I am not making any of this up at all. I wish I was but I wasn't. It was without a doubt the scariest thing I have ever witnessed. The crappy videos don't do justice. In the dark of night during a rainstorm the entire sky just lit up and started to flash. It was like a blowout during the Stalker games.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/bright_flashes_of_light_widesp.html

My understanding, when electrical transformers are about to "go" due to the electrical storm... that it lights a bright green or blue light.

And that was before reading the article where someone suggests the same thing.

I recall seeing something similar a few years back when one went.

-EDIT-
    Re-reading my post, I guess some sophmoric person could take it to be describing an Autobot taking a leak... but obviously I have no idea what color THAT stuff is.

-

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 11:56 kanniballl

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 11:19:
    A Doom 3 thread that quickly turns into people saying how crappy and not that good looking it actually was, despite the praise when it was released? SHOCKER.

It was "good" looking, but even when it came out I said it was just alright.

Most of the praise came from the fact that it was, well, DOOM. Fans of the old game, rose-colored-glasses, etc.

It was fun for a pointless shoot-em-up, though it relied too much on the whole "turn off the lights and make a monster jump out of a corner/closet/shaft/etc" thing. And its dark and dreary environment hid most of what was probably impressive texture-work.

It wasn't the most fun game of the year, and a couple of other (more fun) games that year looked either as good or close to it.

I don't regret buying it, but I recently heard someone (in r/l) talking about how DOOM 3 was the best FPS of the decade... and to that I have to strongly disagree.

-

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 10:52 kanniballl

rocketpcguy wrote on Nov 23, 2011, 10:22:
    "It didn't look THAT stellar"? this video is of the doom 3 alpha leaked in 2002, what other games in 2002 looked half as good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4583FXCYOEQ

It came out towards the end of 2004.

Did it look good? Sure. But it was hard to gauge since you were usually facing weak-sauce monsters in a dark room. Meanwhile it ran like a hog.

Far Cry came out before Doom 3 and, in my opinion, looked prettier. It was also a hog (legendarily known as a hog) but not as bad as Doom 3.

Granted the setting + colors might've made the difference... a good chunk of Far Cry was outside in a pretty landscape so there was more to appreciate.

Even Riddick: Butcher Bay looked decent.

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: DOOM III Source Code Released Nov 23, 2011, 08:49 kanniballl

Upon initial review, it looks like 75% of the code involves a SubRoutine called "MakeMonsterAppearFromDarkCloset()"

The engine was... alright. It didn't look THAT stellar and was a hog. I guess it had potential. But as a tech demo game, it was only so-so.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
    1. The 25 Worst Passwords on the Internet. Nov 22, 2011, 16:22 kanniballl

Sad as it is, I've seen some people use those.

Me, I don't think I've ever personally used them... but I've seen people use them and it's sad.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Rich New Yorkers Are Driving Custom-Designed Cargo Vans Nov 22, 2011, 14:46 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 14:35:
    Yeah, well driving around in one of these monstrosities screams "Look at me, peasant!" And those MF'ers wonder why revolutions start and they're the first against the wall?

True, the lengths they go to in the example above are pretty high. Just saying, the concept of a luxury Van ain't that new.

And with the whole "Occupy" movement going on I'd hate to be the driver of that thing and be asked to go to NYC. Hard to keep the crowds calm if when someone shouts "WTF: gold-plated buttons!"

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online F2P Data
    8. Re: DC Universe Online F2P Data Nov 22, 2011, 14:41 kanniballl

Bodolza wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 12:19:
    I just started playing a few days ago, but so far I've never had to wait to get in. That might also be because I usually play after 10 PM.

There's almost no tutorial, which is kinda surprising for a game with this many options (compared to your standard console fare), but I'm starting to figure things out. First impressions are it's fun, but surprisingly small for an MMORPG. Older games like GTA4 and Oblivion feel like much larger worlds. The interface is functional, but it's a weird mix between console and PC.

I'm really disliking some of the integrated advertising. Why is Batgirl spending all her time trying to sell armor? I get that this is the price of F2P, but don't have the "Heroes" do the selling.

I imagine I'll eventually get tired of the button mashing, but I'm sticking around for now.

That was there prior to F2P: BatGirl and-the-like are just ordinary RPG vendors.

They sell for "tokens" and NOT for cash. Get x tokens per Raid, use y tokens to buy Tiered armor.

The best armor in the game is typically the Tier 1 and Tier 2 stuff you get in the Watch Tower / Villain-Base... which is dished out by heroes / villains.

They added some more tiers since I stopped playing though, so I don't know how many there are now.

So, THAT part isn't the "nickle-and-dime-you-to-death" part... it's the Market Place available anywhere from your menu. Where you can buy premium costume pieces and such with real cash.

-

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 2011, 10:04.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > DC Universe Online F2P Data
    7. Re: DC Universe Online F2P Data Nov 22, 2011, 14:38 kanniballl

Darks wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 11:11:
    No shit dude, Iíve gotten to the point where itís not worth even trying to get on anymore. And I bought this game 6 months ago when it was on sale for 5 dollars. Those of us who are premium members should have gotten head of the line privileges. So I just keep plugging away at the Star Wars MMO.

I haven't been on in a few weeks.. but I thought I heard they were going to let premium-members go to the front of the queue with an upcoming (or recent) patch...

Or perhaps that was just Lifetime subscribers.

-

-Fry, Futurama

4. Rich New Yorkers Are Driving Custom-Designed Cargo Vans Nov 22, 2011, 14:05 kanniballl

Big deal.

Back in my day my parents had a Convertion Van... that's pretty much what it was.

While my friends had Minivans and such, we had a convertion van. It was a regular commercial-type van (big/tall thing) that was modded on the inside with lush seats and stuff. The roof was raised a little, had a tini TV (back when such a thing was unheard of). Lots of room, could stand up, I loved the thing.

And we were far from rich. It was pretty much my dad's retirement fund... he wanted to take big road trips with it (like a small RV). Which we did do a few times.

Funny thing: most common question was "does it have cable?"

Umm, yeh we just drag a huge spool around us that unwinds on the highway.

Granted, now the mini-vans have built-in LCDs bigger than that old tiny thing and get a lot better gas mileage than that tank. But the ability to stand and stretch your legs (as a passenger) was quite a luxury.

This comment was edited on Nov 22, 2011, 14:24.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 22, 2011, 08:57 kanniballl

nin wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 22:20:
    ldonyo wrote on Nov 21, 2011, 21:43:
    Rumors about rumors are even more silly than the original rumors.

I love the current trend about announcements about upcoming announcements.

Eh, it's not that bad...

They usually equate to announcing the fact there's going to be a press release about WidgetX. The real press release has the hard facts: specs, delivery date, whatever.

The prior-announcement is to get people jazzed up to attend the press release, watch the stream, or get them otherwise excited.

Though it is a head scratcher when they announce an upcomming product-announcement... as they JUST announced the product.

-

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 13.
    < Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo