Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2012, 13:16 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 12:20:
I love how people will use a paper towel to open the bathroom door, then sit back at their desk that has never been cleaned or dusted, and happily type away on their 3 year old keyboard that very likely has five different kinds of staph bacteria on it.

Creston

Some people's keyboards look like they're just covered in 2mm of grime.

Maybe once a month I do a cleaning of my Apple Keyboard (because it's cool yo) with those disinfecting Clorox wipes. As well as my mouse and the desk area.

And I definitely try not to let any visible crud appear. Even though I will eat lunch at my desk fairly often... and someone will stop by and interrupt me because they need something NOW! So I don't always have a chance to wash my hands between eating and typing. But I clean it after they leave

On a side note, if you see a guy eating lunch... maybe you can wait until he's done until you bother him for something.

99% of these "Now!" requests aren't anywhere near urgent... they can wait until flippin' tomorrow instead of RIGHT now. Yet they feel it's urgent enough to stop me on my company-mandated lunch hour and wait until I do something for them / gather some data for them / etc.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2012, 13:47.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Microsoft Dropping MS Points?
15. Re: Microsoft Dropping MS Points? Jan 24, 2012, 16:14 kanniballl

Enahs wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:16:
I am not sure they should change it. It was a smart financial decision for them to do that, ignoring anybody that might avoid the system because of the points. And it is now an even better financial decision with the changes and fees in the banking system.

Lets explain why.

Every transaction that is made via a CC or debit card, the bank(s) charage a fee. Lets pretend it is just 10 cents. So, if Microsoft were to charge $1 for a song, they lose 10% of the revenue from that purchase. Do that millions of times a day/week/etc, it adds up quickly.

Now, lets say you buy $10 worth of 'points', the banking fee is per transaction. Microsoft has now only lost 1% of revenue on that same transaction.

As you can imagine, this can QUICKLY add up to millions of dollars lost if you are doing a lot of business.

With the recent dramatic increases in fees for CC/Debit card transactions; this points system is even a bigger savings boom. Why throw it away now?

Not just that, but they get your money NOW... and perhaps wasted money at that.

• I buy $15 USD of points today.

• I spend $5 tomorrow, and $5 next month

• But now, I decide to not bother buying anything. Maybe not for MONTHS.

• Meanwhile MS doesn't care, they made $15 today that they can invest or earn interest on.

• Meanwhile, maybe having a sliver of points next year gives you enough incentive to spend another couple of dollars on points so you can afford that new shiney DLC.
  •  
    "Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 11:08:
    I actually don't read anything in anyone's voice, or at least not often. It has to be a catch phrase, something I've heard said a million times before so I know *exactly* what it sounds like.

Hhheeeyyyy, I had PBJ for dinner last night (I haven't had PBJ in a least a year).

It depends.

I read a series of novels (Dresden Files) which the TV series introduced me to. So when I read "Harry's" dialog I imagine it in the actor's voice. Another person I know imagines it as James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) since he was introduced via some books-on-tape which James voices.

Comics (DC and Marvel), I'll often "hear" it in the voice of whoever is my most favorite / known voice for that character. Like Kevin Conroy for Batman, Mark Hamill for Joker, Dana Delaney for Lois Lane, Christopher Reeves for Superman/Clark, RDJ for Iron Man, etc.

Some other iconic stuff (like the earlier-mentioned "Good News Everyone") I might also hear in that character's / actor's voice.

But for generic stuff... not often. I hear it as my "reading voice" which is a lower-tone than my normal talking voice.

The same goes for the Morgan Freeman thing, I heard it as my normal reading voice until I laughed and decided to read it as Morgan.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 24, 2012, 10:32 kanniballl

zirik wrote on Jan 24, 2012, 09:41:

it is sad we didnt get much snow this year. but on the upside the kids will get off school early this semester since they have not used snow days this winter.

Here in Jersey, after that freak storm at the end of October I was expecting a lot more snow this winter. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a little disappointed in the mild winter.

We're at the end of January and have only had 1-2 winter snow falls and the fiasco in October/November.

The snow over the weekend was nice, but it's all gone today after last night's rain.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2012, 16:25 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 13:34:
    I'm extremely tempted to check it out, but what worries me is they're already having problems finding all the material. Apparently in the case of the sampler disc, it's only 10 seconds or so that's upconverted, but I'd like to wait a few seasons and see if they keep that to a minimum, or if it's something that happens every episode.

Having said that, the rest of it looks amazingly good, and I'm really looking forward to it, provided they don't fuck it up.

I'd be more psyched about it if I hadn't seen the whole 7 seasons so frequently over the last few years. A bunch of different cable channels had "Star Trek: TNG" on rotation to the point I've probably seen all 7 seasons two full times in the last 4 years; with a bunch of other episodes like 4 or 5 times. SciFi, SyFy, Spike, BBC America, and I think some OTA networks were airing them at one point.

At one point they were taking up a hefty percentage of my DVR's hard disk.

Maybe if they're still available in 5 or so years I might see myself picking them up... but the episodes are still too fresh in my mind.

-Fry, Futurama

22. Re: Great TV Mustaches Jan 23, 2012, 10:19 kanniballl

Ant wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 10:06:
    Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 09:57:
    Krovven wrote on Jan 22, 2012, 17:17:
    That list is crap. Doesn't even have Tom Selleck, who would be the king of TV moustaches.

Uh, looks like he is the second photo to me.
    Ditto!

Yup,

Though I have to disagree with some of that list, there are mustaches and then there are beards. Having a full beard shouldn't really count towards having a big mustache.

As for Tom Selleck, I recall a stretch where he shaved the thing off. I think it was during a run on "Friends" and "In and Out." Man he looked weird. Not WEIRD weird, just "Hey that guy looks familiar"

Fortunately it returned again for his later work.

-

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 20, 2012, 13:33 kanniballl

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 11:55:
    The drivers in my town are crap. I've been hit 2 or 3 times now. Anytime I think about getting a newer car I remember that some turd driver is going to turn it into a junker anyway.

About 6 years ago I bought a brand new Cadillac CTS, the sporty model (but not the CTS-V). All the features.

My first new car; all my priors were 10+ years old. I babied the thing.

My first week of driving to work, some b*tch hits me lightly from the back at a light. I don't mean I stopped short and she hit me... I'd been sitting at that red for a while. I pulled over and tried to flag her down but she kept on going.

Fortunately, there wasn't even a dent or a scratch. Had there been I would've reported her to the cops for fleeing. I was pissed, but not enough to waste my time with the cops over something I couldn't prove and didn't leave mark.

So fine...

The next week I come back from BestBuy I see a gash in the paint on the driver side, with a shopping cart sitting next to it.

Sigh you just can't win.

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 12:55 kanniballl

Quboid wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 11:54:
    I can't say I'm crazy about the blackout. I hate SOPA and PIPA but this seems like the thin end of the wedge for a form of political activism which I really don't want to see. Yes, it's for a good cause. This time.

Everything is ALWAYS for a good cause at first.

Typically, it's "think of the children!" or "the terrorists are out to getcha" For a long while, it was the children thing.

And it's usually always open-ended enough that it can either be used "whenever" or it wouldn't take much tweaking to be allowed "whenever."

And of course, if you're a politician against it then eventually some commercial will come out around election time saying they're against children, neglecting to mention the other "things" the bill proposed.

The "best" is when they attach a rider that has nothing to do with the rest of the bill.

-

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 17, 2012, 11:26 kanniballl

I support you blue.

On a similar topic, I could see it sucking for people that actually use Wikipedia for something school / work related but can't for 24 hours.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2012, 15:53 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 00:56:

Star Trek 2 filming started! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Creston
    Im looking forward to this... hopefully they keep it a solid film.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
    47. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 16, 2012, 15:47 kanniballl

-EDIT-

Why did I even reply to that. Too bad I cant' delete.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2012, 15:54.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Being Sick Sucks Jan 5, 2012, 15:32 kanniballl

Ugh, home sick for 3 days, now doctor says I should take tomorrow off as well since I'm still contagious.

I love my Commodore (I think 128). It's what introduced me to computers, which became my career. I also had a huge amount of games for that thing.

As for pure gaming machines go, it's my 2nd favorite (after my SNES). Including my various gaming rigs over the years.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2012, 14:24 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 12:29:
    DangerDog wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 11:33:
    Remove the little plastic cover from the bottom of the mouse, take out the ball and clean those rollers. Gunk gets built up on them over time and can affect the tracking ability of the mouse.

Haha, indeed, life was so simple once.

Honestly, going from mouse-balls to optical-mice was probably the greatest quality-of-life upgrade to my PCs, after going from command-line to GUI interfaces.

I hated constantly cleaning that flippin' thing out.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > The Old Republic Bans?
    45. Re: The Old Republic Bans? Jan 2, 2012, 16:08 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 09:24:
    Actually if you do a little research you'll find most states have archaic obsolete laws that are still on the books, and some are worse than that. Lawmakers seldom bother to repeal past laws regardless of how silly they are, they are too busy trying to think up new ridiculous ones.

Yeh, there are some real old / wacky ones out there. A quick Google for a source found me www.dumblaws.com

Some random New Jersey ones...

• It is illegal to delay or detain a homing pigeon.

• It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

• All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.

• It's illegal to wear a bullet proof vest while committing a murder.

• But all states have them. Some of them are hi... lar.. ious.

• Texas: Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.

• Georgia: The term “sadomasochistic abuse” is defined so broadly, that it could possibly be applied to a person handcuffing another in a clown suit.

• Kentucky: One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

• Kansas: No one may sing the alphabet on the streets at night.

• This comment was edited on Jan 2, 2012, 16:26.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Op Ed
    14. Re: Op Ed Jan 2, 2012, 16:00 kanniballl

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 15:01:
    ASeven wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 14:27:
    I must have been one of the rare people who didn't give a fuck to the coals and discounts and never tried a single achievement.
    This is pretty much how I go about my normal gaming. I play something for the enjoyment of the game. Not because some developer says "oooh you should achieve this!!!!!11!"

I'm not a fan of achievements / badges / feats / etc unless (A) it gives me something or (B) just seems cool or interesting or (C) I find out I'm accidentally so close anyway I might as well finish it.

Like "fine, I'll slam dunk the basketball in Deus Ex" because I wonder if maybe it will trigger an Easter Egg. But I won't go out of my way to do something unless I was already trying for it.

Something like DC Universe Online gives you feat points, and after so many feat points you get an extra skill point to put towards a weapon or stat bump... so that has some meaning but only until you're done with the easy ones. Finish this hard raid in less than 25 minutes? Umm, no

Especially since most of the time it's just to show off your ePeen (I finished 1000/1000 achievement points)

-

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2012, 15:57 kanniballl

Killer Kane wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 15:15:
    First New Years Resolution Ruined"
    I promised myself this year I "Would NOT walk into a Staples and ask the 1st employee I see if "they sell staples?", then after they say "Yes, aisle 11", say thank you, and walk out.

If I worked there and that was a common "thing" I'd probably say "no we're all out" and not admit I'm kidding.

If I lost my job as a result, it would be worth it.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    24. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 15:53 kanniballl

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 15:29:
    You guys notice they went from 4million online account from last week to 5million this week?

hmmmmm

A newly released and highly hyped game... went up an insane number... over the holiday associated with gift-giving and long vacations.

Wow. I am shocked.

8 months from now you'll be telling me that the "Friendly's" a mile away somehow managed to triple their ice cream sales after a hot summer.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2012, 13:17 kanniballl

I don't really believe in resolutions... because nobody really keeps them anyway. They make too many outlandish resolutions that, if you haven't come close to doing it anyway, then promising you will (with some liquor in you) isn't going to happen.

On occasion I have made vague ones: like I'll try to do THIS more, or THAT less. Those are relatively easy to keep, partially because I've been considering them for a while and already started the ball rolling.

-

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2012, 15:38 kanniballl

I was *really* hoping I'd have tomorrow off. Unfortunately I didn't see the 2012 holiday calendar until a week before the holidays and learned we had to go in on Monday.

Had I known earlier I would've used a vacation day.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: WoW Patch Notes Dec 28, 2011, 23:40 kanniballl

Steelcamp wrote on Dec 28, 2011, 10:56:
    All I know is I wish the calendar went something like this

October - November - December - October - November - December - October - November - December.

Those are the months I like...

I don't blame you.

Cool temperatures and lovely fall weather
    Thanksgiving holiday + dinner + vacation
    Christmas holiday + dinner + vacation
    End the cycle with a bash

Really, the only thing that would drive me mad would be Halloween. I'm not a fan, as I hate driving those nights because kids run around like blind idiots on PCP. Sorry, wearing a Batman costume doesn't mean you'll survive getting hit by my car. Dealing with THAT noise every 3 months would suck.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 11.
    < Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo