Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Livestream
11. Re: Star Citizen Livestream Jun 28, 2013, 22:31 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:46:
I thought he had all the private funding he needed? The more this guy talks, the less I trust him.

He's said since early on... to do everything he wants, he need 20mill. The make the bare minimum game he'd want he'd need a lot less. Hence the flex goals: At $x we can add this, at $y we can do that, etc.

When working in an unconventional developing environment, it's not unheard of. For example: developing something in-house for another department you usually have a meeting with the customer: give us x resources we can produce this, y resources we can produce that. Then the other department has to weigh how many features they want vs how much money+time they have to part with.

It looks cool and I pledged stuff. However some of his ideas sound a bit "ambitious"

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 11:33 kanniballl

I liked the XBox thumb-stick positions, how the left is higher than the right. I don't know, I just liked controlling it that way more. But that's just personal preference, I'm not saying that makes it superior.

Ultimately, I might wind up buying both; one for my bedroom and one for the living room. But, I know it's silly, but I don't want the XBoxOne in my bedroom with that stuff running 24/7.

Get some stupid script kiddie and the next thing you know Youtube has some posting called "Beached whale learns to use bed" or something; or something worse.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Really that expensive, historically? Jun 28, 2013, 10:04 kanniballl

Ultimately, and historically, the prices for both consoles aren't that bad thanks to inflation and what-not. It's not factoring into if I by them

I had more fun with my 360 than my PS3 and I like the controller layout more. But now it seems the only exclusive it has is the Halo series (I like the series, so sue me).

But, not a huge fan of the always-on-super-advanced-Kinect (and microphone). I just don't know if that's enough to prevent me from getting it.

I'll think about it more as time goes on.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance
101. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 23:16 kanniballl

I admit, this whole PayToWin thing IS a fine-line. They were apparently questioned about that explicitly in E3. So I imagine they might be evaluating stuff in the next 18 months. Heck, they STILL don't have stuff like how fuel is going to play out nailed down, so they can change their mind on stuff. Look at Microsoft.

Observations
  • Slightly better start-up ships? That's fine

• Some decent cargo-ships instead of that start-up courier-class ships? Meh

• For the above (for now) they're trying to entice donations so of course milk it. But even after release... they ships are quite stock and don't have anything special. There will be much better ships (including rare ones) you can find in-game. Add that it sounds like gear isn't transferrable between ships and it's definitely not bad.

BUT
  • Convert cash -> ingame currency which can be used to buy weapons? That's crossing the line.

• Sure, they're putting a limit / cap on the monthly amount you can do this with but unless that limit only lets you do a minuscule amount it's still somewhat crossing the line.

At least PvP is sounding like it's MOSTLY an opt-in thing. So there's that. If I want to enhance my single-player experience a little. And as Jimmns said, reputation and stuff can't be earned.

-Fry, Futurama

93. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 17:49 kanniballl

Julio wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:51:
    Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:44:
    If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.

I'll be second to admit it. But I'm pretty confident this will be pay-to-win http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed as the link shows.

It will be interesting to see if full functionality makes it to 'run your own online server', and if the single player game is very short.

LOL, yeh they went overboard with the "Brochure" and the "Commercial" But they were A) making a psuedo teaser / trailer showing off the Enginend B) wanted people to keep donating.

If you're going to show off your engine AND get some dollahs, you might as well show off the sexier of your ships. (The Hornet is better but looks worse/uglier/weirder).

ULTIMATELY, the 300-series specs doesn't look that great of a ship. It's just a little better than the starter stuff. They have a bunch listed already, and some not far enough into conception to show. For example, supposedly there are a bunch of Origin-series ships that they haven't shown yet (like the 500-series and some other BMW-themed names).

That all being said: the game really can go either way. Good or crud. Fair or PayToWin. It's kind of too early to tell.

Heck it could be a scam for all we know. Nov 2014 is a LOOOONG way away.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2013, 18:16.

-Fry, Futurama

76. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 11:50 kanniballl

So far doesn't look PayToWin. The fighter-class of the 300-series isn't the best one out there supposedly. Others are talking about better ones in the gaming forums. These are just better starting-ships. Look at the specs: low-tier weapon mounts and no turrets.

Insurance is available in-game through game-credits (not real-money). But you need to insure each time. Makes sense, I'd hate to blow up and have to start off with a cheap ship.

The only benefit here is that it's a "one and done" lifetime thing as opposed to each and every time.

Which isn't that bad considering you're HELPING FUND THE GAME. It's a carrot to get people to fund the game. As opposed to trying to increase their profits later.

I went ahead and made a pledge. I miss the space-sim genre... there aren't that many modern ones out there.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2013, 12:03.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 18, 2013, 13:12 kanniballl

When Verizon was starting to get their FIOS thing going, our New Jersey town was one of the early ones.

Wouldn't you know it... the cable companies sponsored a lot of commercials themselves... about voting to stop a resolution and how bad said resolution would be for the customers.

What a coincidence... said resolution was to allow Verizon to do their thing. Stopping it would have prevented FIOS from hitting much of the NJ area (or at least caused a MAJOR lag).

So yeh... Cable is holding back adoption.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    3. American says it will add seats on many planes Jun 14, 2013, 11:13 kanniballl

Awesome, even LESS leg-room.

I'm not even super-tall (only 6'), and already flying coach is a pain in the neck. Especially when the guy in front of me puts his seat all the way down. I can't fault him for it; he wants to be comfortable.

I mean... I understand the airlines want to do *something*. Between costs going up, people getting "larger," and losing a lot of business due to the Internet communications... they're obviously hurting.

But at some point, you have to say... I think we've put too many god d***ed seats on the plane.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Marvel Heroes Launches
    74. Re: Marvel Heroes Launches Jun 9, 2013, 20:12 kanniballl

Here's my review. And yes, unfortunately I spend a little money to get the heroes I want.

The short version: "Meh" It's not a specific failure in any one category, but at best it's mediocre. Add up a bunch of mediocre score and you get "Meh"

Honestly, they probably would have been better off not firing the Champions Onlines guys. That game wasn't great, but it was more fun than this. And with Marvel IP backing it, it probably would have lasted much longer before being sold to a Korean grind-fest company 1-2 years ago.

A) The gameplay mechanic is... a mixed bag. On one hand, it's Diablo-centric. On the other hand, it's less "fun" than even Champions Online, let alone DC Universe. City of Heroes was an epic game for its time, and even with its primitive mechanics it was superior to this game's point-and-click, point-and-click. No targeting is given so teleporting-bosses are annoying. Heck, I would have LOVED an XBox controller a-la the various XBox Marvel games.

B) Stories and missions are... not enthralling. DC Universe set the milestone for mission "text." Instead of boring walls-of-text, they had voice actors tell you what was going on (as well as offering the transcript). It made it much more engaging.

Marvel Heroes? Like 2 lines of text at the bottom of the screen saying "Go get the macguffin" or "go save <person_x>" Seriously, lame. As bad as Champions Online was in this regard, they at least gave you some funny stuff buried in their text.

C) Customization = FAIL. OK, I get it... they pigeon-holed you into picking a pre-existing hero and one of their pre-created costumes. But I just don't find it that engaging playing a cookie-cutter hero.

I'm really into comics and have a handful of "heroes" I've imagined: names, backstories, costumes, power sets, etc. I take it a bit far, but I guess so do some D&D players and such. Seriously, comics are my bag... I have a couple grand worth of comics (physical and digital).

So... while I guess it is nice playing as Iron Man from time-to-time... it's not what I want long-term.

D) Hero clones... this kind of goes along with C) but playing as a pre-built character is mildly annoying. Watching 10 of them on the screen at the same time is horrible. It really breaks any immersion you have what-so-ever if you are wandering a map and stumble upon like 2 or more of your characters.

I realize they have a story-reason for this... but it's still lame.

E) It's not as "Pay to Win" as people *itch about. The "pay" gives you either an XP-point booster for an hour, a rare-loot-drop-increase for an hour (which really does nothing), and a couple of pets to help you out if you need them. And of course, unlocking other heroes and their costumes.

It's not like you're buying powers or leveling up much with that stuff. It's not like you can by "The Sentry" or "Hyperion" and have an uber-hero instant-win or anything.

F) The heroes are... balanced well enough. None feel particularly OP compared to the rest. So going along with E), it's not like there are any must-have heroes to win the game easier.

Conclusion
    All in all... for a FREE game (assuming you can live with the limitations) then have at it. If you like Marvel and you miss Dioblo point-and-click combat then it's not too bad.

But, it's meh.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 2, 2013, 14:27 kanniballl

Quboid wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 11:16:
    RoboNerd wrote on Jun 2, 2013, 11:02:
    Another Google Fiber experiment... How much of a tree can you cut and not kill it?

http://www.kctv5.com/video?clipId=8934293&autostart=true

I find it amusing who is sponsoring the video stream...

That's a weird story. It's hardly big news, but you'd think the fibre could be put somewhere better. I'm surprised they don't have it underground.

It's an even bigger investment... particularly if the town went 100% above-ground for stuff. Like MANY American towns.

Think about it: You pretty much have to dig, A LOT, to run the conduit. As well as put in access points / holes / covers for when you have to replace wires. Such as when an idiot inevitably digs where they're not supposed to and cuts the cable.

As opposed to re-using the existing poles. And then trimming back the trees because you don't want to have to replace huge sections after the next big storm.

If the town already has under-ground conduits... then awesome. Re-use them.

But otherwise, it's a HUGE expense. And said store-owners would be even more ticked off because of the construction on their street of in front of their businesses.

My parents' town was considering re-doing the whole center of town with under-ground wiring (like our neighboring town). Just the center area, not the homes, so the shopping district would gain some beauty and attract some business. Because the cables everywhere are starting to look rediculous. But the residents shot it down because of price.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 2, 2013, 14:22 kanniballl

As for the whole tree thing, that's just piss poor planning on the town's department. Just like SO many American suburbs.

My parents town planted the trees in the paths of the power/phone/etc. lines.

BIG SHOCKER... the trees grew around the flippin' wires. ANOTHER BIG SHOCKER... heavy winds would move the branches, and take down power lines left and right.

So now ever-other year they have to trim back the tree branches so it's not as bad. But they cut corners here and there and skip entire streets because they're deemed "good enough." Of course, everything hit the fan the last 2 years when we had really heavy storms that took out the lines on just about every street.

If you're going to have above-ground wires... fine. But don't plant the trees within the line. Or just cut them down entirely. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble.

So I don't blame Google... they're going through the trouble of running this stuff. They don't want to deal with replacing cables and equipment.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
    53. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 20:37 kanniballl

Anyway, back on topic. Ignoring the troll...

I was considering getting the XBox One for my regular casual gaming. Mostly because I enjoyed gaming on the XBox360 more than the PS3... though I liked that the PS3 didn't require a Live subscription to do lots of stuff.

Now though... I don't know. I doubt the PS4 is going to be that much better that the XBox One from a non-technical standpoint.

I'll probably wait until both units are available and reviewed before making a decision.

-Fry, Futurama

52. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 20:29 kanniballl

TurdFergasun wrote on May 27, 2013, 18:17:
    Sorry you feel that way, but it sounds like a personal problem, alienware and bose are for noob consumers. If you knew better by researching with the least amount of effort you'd find better, for less. The key being effort involved, and if you can't spare the effort I can't spare the labels, lack of effort on the part of the consumer makes the entire market, and product environment worse for all involved.

I'll part you with a sturdy acronym to remember: BOSE =

Buy Other Sound Equipment.

And read my post. It was a package deal from work. I didn't have much choice about the speakers, and only mentioned it because the $1,000 included what usually costs a stupid sum.

$1,000

27" IPS monitor (2560 x 1440)
    Intel i7-3770
    nVidia 660
    16GB Ram
    256 Samsung 840Pro SSD
    BluRay drive
    Crappy bose speakers

All in a nice small desktop case that looks great on my desk (takes up little space) or works great as a small unit in my TV stand for gaming with a controller or watching a BluRay if I want to use it there. Or without having to spend an afternoon putting it together in said small-package.

All with a warranty. About 6 months ago, so back then the cpu was probably relatively better on the market than it is now.

For $1,000 you can't go wrong with that. But again, that was through a deal at work. I don't recall what the regular price is for someone speccing that out from dell.com. It's probably over-priced regularly.

But feel free to be a turd.

-

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 20:36.

-Fry, Futurama

26. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 15:46 kanniballl

SpectralMeat wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:46:

I might give this a try first.
    Building a small form factor gaming rig is not that cheap. Maybe components are cheaper in the US but here in Canada I am probably looking at spending more if I were to build my own then if I were to buy that Alienware pc.

Also, in my opinion, there's the whole "effort" aspect

Really small cases are a pain to work with. I'm well over 30, have large hands, little free time, and even less patience.

If it was a large desktop I had to assemble, fine. But the really really little ones. PASS. If I mess up or want to replace something, working on it is like messing with a puzzle.

Replace part A = Remove part B + Remove part C
    But removing part C also means removing part D
    etc.

-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 13:31 kanniballl

Verno wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:03:
    This is neither here nor there but BOSE stuff is overpriced garbage, people are essentially paying for the marketing. I'm sure you got it on a deal and whatnot but I am just nitpicking so others don't see it and think they're a good deal or something.'

Oh I agree, over priced and such. Just threw them in there because my price included some nice kit as well as a piece of gear that's typically overpriced.

-

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 13:30 kanniballl

HorrorScope wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:11:
    kanniballl wrote on May 27, 2013, 13:00:
    TurdFergasun wrote on May 27, 2013, 12:42:
    still the fact remains you could build a much stronger ITX gaming computer that probably cools much better, for much much less, of course with the x51 you can be a total noob, and stay one, but have a computer, i guess there's that.

Nice attitude.

I got a decent deal through my company. So I got a nice 27" IPS screen, a maxed out Alienware X51 with SSD drive, Bose companion speakers, for a little over a grand. All of that combined for a little over a grand... hard to beat that price. I could probably have saved a little building on my own but why bother.

I don't use it on my TV often, it's my main rig and only takes up a little space on my desk.

-

That's cool. But for general discussion I would think using retail prices off their web-site is fair game. A great deal obviously could alter any decision.

My bit was more towards the "of course with the x51 you can be a total noob, and stay one, but have a computer, i guess there's that."

Bad manners. Especially since some people are tired of making their own rigs.

-

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 13:00 kanniballl

TurdFergasun wrote on May 27, 2013, 12:42:
    still the fact remains you could build a much stronger ITX gaming computer that probably cools much better, for much much less, of course with the x51 you can be a total noob, and stay one, but have a computer, i guess there's that.

Nice attitude.

I got a decent deal through my company. So I got a nice 27" IPS screen, a maxed out Alienware X51 with SSD drive, Bose companion speakers, for a little over a grand. All of that combined for a little over a grand... hard to beat that price. I could probably have saved a little building on my own but why bother.

I don't use it on my TV often, it's my main rig and only takes up a little space on my desk.

-

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 12:16 kanniballl

I have one (Alienware x51). It's quiet (unless stressed under gaming) and doesn't get "too" hot. It's actually a nice little box.

The only problem is/was... the video card. When released, they had a bad batch of 660 cards in there with a bad flaw. They would crawl (really REALLY crawl) under load. Like 2fps crawl. UNLESS you installed the MSI Afterburner program and use THAT to control the fan.

That magically seemed to fix the issue. Some people thought it was a BIOS issue with not controlling the fan properly.

Supposedly, Dell/Alienware quietly fixed the issue once they resolved it. But they weren't "that" happy to acknowledge it or to replace cards on affected units.

But other than that, a fast little system the size of an XBox.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    58. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 23:56 kanniballl

Jerykk wrote on May 26, 2013, 23:46:
    That's already happening. The vast majority of AAA games are multiplatform and designed for consoles. Most of these games are ported to PC and as such, the majority of AAA PC games are ports. However, these games still coexist with the indies and I see no reason why this would ever change. PC will always be the most accessible platform for developers, making it the ideal platform for indies.

Agreed on both accounts. Unfortunately the PC sometimes appear to be a sad console-clone, where most of the big guns are just crudely-coded console-ports of CoD X and MW Y.

But, the original poster made it sound like he didn't want the indie niche-genre growing because that's all the PC would be. That he saw those old niche-genres as being console-y and "infecting" the PC-realm (at least how I read it).

Meanwhile I feel that Indie games are pretty much the only thing standing in the way of the PC being a console-clone. The one-finger-salute to the empty suits at the various companies to keep the PC environment varied.

Both Indie and AAA can co-exist, even if Indie is just re-hashing old genres / PoV's / etc. that were originally popular on the old 8bit consoles. Wishing for one to "go away" just hurts the ecosystem.

I don't want the Madden / CoD / etc. games to go away. It's like the restaurant: I like meat, but my friend is a vegan. I don't mind if the menu has a large veggie section nor if it grows. So long as I'm free to eat meat and she's free to eat soy / greens / etc. we can both have a nice evening when there together. If the restaurant drops a section all-together, then it's not longer a place I want to visit with said friend.

-

This comment was edited on May 27, 2013, 00:35.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Steam Top 10
    55. Re: Steam Top 10 May 26, 2013, 23:20 kanniballl

Quinn wrote on May 26, 2013, 19:45:
    Dust...
    In a way, I find said enthusiasm... concerning? Concerning because who knows.. maybe a few years from now the PC is the platform for arcade-y.. 'indie' games.. and it's the consoles you have to go to for stuff like Metro, Deus Ex, Van Helsing.

I must be over-reacting here. But still I don't really get how a PC community can get so excited about these side-scrollers.

Here's my take on it. (Note: I realize Dust is an XBox 360 game too so it's not the best case study, but my logic is still somewhat sound).

PC - it's pretty much the last bastion of non-mainstream games, niche markets, and the near-dead (or extinct) genres.

The consoles tend to focus on the big mainstream games; things that will make money. There are not a lot of examples of niche-market console games. Sure there are some, but they are few and far between; usually some studio re-releasing some classic 8bit/16bit game with updated graphics. OCCASIONALLY some original XBox-Live game gets released by some programmers that want to revitalize a dying/dead genre.

Meanwhile... some people like / miss 2D scrollers, free-realm space sims (X-Wing, Privateer, etc.), even simple is-hack-and-slash games (closer to Zelda than Diablo). These genres are all but dead on the console.

PCs... it's the only real environment you even have the possibility of seeing these niche-market games. X3, Torchlight, etc. Consoles... don't hold your breath for many unless it hit it big on the PC first. Part of it is the license / restrictions / hoops you have to jump through if you want to code for Console X.

So I do not share your fear; if anything, I have the opposite fear as you. If PC's drop the niche markets and focus solely on large AAA 3D games, then they might as well be just console-ports. Which, after time, would mean loads of games along the lines of Madden 2021 / Call of Duty 39 / Modern Warfare 23.5 / etc.

But to each their own. I like variety and keeping old genres alive. I like to keep the PC genre open. Even if that means there are genres in it that I don't like.

-

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 23:42.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo