Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Google releases Chrome 19, adds tab sync and patches 20 bugs May 19, 2012, 14:07 kanniballl

Nucas wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:30:
i just switched over to chrome from 10 years of opera (from v10 onwards opera was never as stable as it once was)
i don't know how i've lived without extensions like adblock and noscript, quite potent.
blues is the only website on my ad whitelist so far, since he's the only webmaster i can think of who gives a shit about what kind of ads he runs.

You timed it right then. Chrome only got extensions not THAT long ago. While FireFox had them for a REALLY long time.

That being said I browse 90% of the time on Chrome when at home.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Wozniak loves Windows Phone 7.5 Apr 30, 2012, 08:50 kanniballl

I have to agree with (Blues?) comment - he just seems to love smartphones in general.

Though I'd take it a step further and that he just loves neat gadgets in general. The guy is a techie to the bone: a builder / designer / engineer / etc.

He probably appreciates the effort / design / etc that goes into things, even if it's just a couple of near features in an otherwise "meh" product.

Plus, the guy has money so he can afford to buy crates-upon-crates of gadgets.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints
22. Re: Retailer Leaks Dead Space 3 and NFS: Most Wanted 2 Hints Apr 18, 2012, 16:07 kanniballl

I don't know what it was about the game, but NFS: Most Wanted is WAY up there in my list of favorite games. It's not in my top 5, but perhaps my top 10 or top 20.

I spent a LOT of time playing that game. I know most of the races were essentially corridors and the physics were about as "arcade" as you can get... but I really really like that game.

Heck, I even broke down and bought a steering wheel set for my PC... something I never though I'd do.

• Accessible enough to not tick me off, like some games where if you hit a soda can you mess up your aerodynamics + suspension so much you can't race. Arcade-y, but not too bad.

• Decent music (for racing anyway)

• The open-ended police chases were fun

• Customizable like an RPG

•  
    -Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2012, 08:55 kanniballl

The world population thing is pretty scary... I remember back when I learned we passed 5bill... and now only a couple decades we're at 7bill.

Sure, we still have "land" for new people to occupy... but between the increase of needed resources and generated waste that can't be a good thing.

Heck, in my parents' lifetimes the population has more than doubled.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 2012, 09:11.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Michael Bay doing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - as aliens Mar 21, 2012, 10:39 kanniballl

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:17:

The Rock was indeed good. But I don't think it would have been nearly as good w/o Connery.

Arma and BB were tolerable.

Connery was the best part of The Rock, he did an awesome job and was more memorable than Cage. That being said, I'm willing to "spread the wealth" between directing/acting/casting/writing for that one.

I was hesitant to put Bad Boys on there, as most of my enjoyment came from the actors. I liked a few action / shootout scenes but I think the two leads played off eachother well. So I don't really point to Bay for my enjoyment, but he didn't hurt.

Armageddon was fun, but more in a mindless bubble gum type of way.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Michael Bay doing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - as aliens Mar 21, 2012, 10:13 kanniballl

nin wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 10:11:
    See, the deal there is, the moment I see "Michael Bay" I don't bother going any further...

Problem solved.

I've only liked a couple of things of his

• That commercial where he parodies himself with explosions everwhere

• The Rock

• Armageddon

• Bad Boys franchise
  •  
    -Fry, Futurama

1. Michael Bay doing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - as aliens Mar 21, 2012, 10:08 kanniballl

I'm kind of surprised it didn't make the "Stories" section (unless it did, and it was a few days ago). I caught this on Tuesday night on CNN.

Michael Bay is going to do a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie but is putzing around with the back-story a bit much: they're now ALIENS.

OK, fine a bunch of old 80s cartoons have been done with tweaks here and there. Transformers, GI Joe, even the Smurfs. And while the quality of the movies weren't great... I was OK with the changes to the mythos as they still kept the bulk of the histories.

But changing mutant turtles into aliens (I'm assuming on the half-shell) is a bit much. It's one thing to change around how exactly they mutated (dropped ooze, lab experiment, whatever) but how exactly does aliens from space even fit into there? I'm not saying the old stuff was a masterpiece (b/w comics or the watered down cartoons) but why change it?

Oh well, knowing Michael Bay it will be full of explosions and glam-shots of some flavor-of-the-month hottie.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    9. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 21, 2012, 08:53 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Mar 21, 2012, 04:29:
    Why the fuck would you buy the Ipad3 if you already OWN the Ipad1 & 2??? What the hell is wrong with you people?? Do you also light cigarettes with 100$ bills now and again?

I wouldn't, but for some... getting Retina and "4G" is a big enough bump.

Retina is a nice upgrade in itself. I had an older iPhone and I went to the iPhone 4 on Retina alone. Reading text, looking at pics, etc... it was a big difference. I skipped the iPhone 4S, and would only get a 5 if the feature list is decent (and I get a discount on my upgrade).

I don't see myself getting an iPad3 unless something happens to my 2 though... however it might be nice to read comics on Retina.

As for 4G... yeh I've used 3G a bunch on my iPad. Power outage, travel, etc. But not enough that I'd care about the bump in speeds.

-

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Pi Day Mar 14, 2012, 15:47 kanniballl

I only have slightly more memorized than blue

I sometimes remember that there's a 5 afterwards, but that's about as far as I ever needed to take it.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
    7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 15:40 kanniballl

I tried it out over the weekend, wasn't impressed. At first I figured going as Bounty Hunter would be neat... but it didn't draw me in.

Not a lot really drew me, though I'll try again this weekend and see how Jedi/Sith/Soldiers play.

As bad as DCUO was, I really did enjoy the combat for an MMO. At least it was "different"

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2012, 09:14 kanniballl

Julio wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 05:35:
    I thought their clean up method for nuclear waste was straightforward? They were dumping it in the ocean and letting it wash up on someone else's country.

And thus the war against Dolphin and Whale goes nuclear.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Release Candidate
    3. Re: Legend of Grimrock Release Candidate Mar 9, 2012, 11:35 kanniballl

Still can't read that title without seeing it as "Grimlock"

IE, that dinosaur robot from the Transformers way way back.

Partially because he always talked about himself in the 3rd person and pretty much narrated what he was doing. "Me Grimlock smash!"

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    19. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 9, 2012, 11:31 kanniballl

I used to be very ANTI iPad. Then I used one for a while.

It's definitely not a laptop replacement, but it is a nice toy/tool.

If I want to do something light (reading online, look something up, play a quick game, etc) and am in the living room... it's easier for me to just pick up a 1-piece-slate of an iPad and do my basic stuff... than it is to use the laptop.

I don't baby my laptops, but I am always aware of the fact that I using something with a hinge and keys.. so I don't want to treat it too rough. With the iPad I can toss it onto the couch or whatever and not worry about it.

Retina
    I used to have an iPhone 3GS and had no plans on upgrading to the 4... until I saw the Retina display. Text was just so much nicer on that thing, and after my 3GS had issues I replaced it with the 4 right away. I didn't really care about the other features.

I haven't gone to the 4S and don't see myself upgrading my phone soon.

The Retina display is almost enough to make me want to upgrade the iPad... but I don't think I will. At least not right away... maybe the version after this upcomming one... or maybe in 2013.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors
    14. Re: Valve on Steam Hardware Rumors Mar 9, 2012, 11:10 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 05:03:
    However, I also expect in my lifetime to have computer chips implantable in the skull so as to get direct brain to electronic information access.

Eh, I used to hope that would come out in my lifetime. Then I read The Diamond Age and oddly enough I hadn't really considered the down-side.

A scene in the book had one of the characters defending why he used HUD goggles instead of the "better" implants. He described a guy he knew that had the neural thing implanted just like a lot of the population.

But someone hacked the implant, so he was always seeing something stupid (I think Cat Food ads) no matter what. Even when he closed his eyes. Eventually it drove him insane and he killed himself.

That made me re-think the whole implanted interface/hud/etc thing. There are just enough jerks out there that think a virus or hack that did that would be funny or cool that I think I'll pass on all of that.

Honestly, something stupid like that would be a bigger fear for me than potential for mind control or potential for lethal attacks.

-

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2012, 11:15.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Still haven't seen E.T. Mar 9, 2012, 10:24 kanniballl

30 years, and I still haven't seen E.T. The Extra-terrestrial

I saw "Mac and Me" back when it was in theaters, but never saw ET... even on video or on the random times I've seen it listed in the TV guide.

I know the basic plot, but just never got around to it. I find it makes for an interesting conversation piece for those ultra-rare circumstances the movie is brought up in conversation.

As for the Road Warrior, I know I watched at least some of it way way back at a friend's house. But I don't think we wound up watching the whole thing.

But I've seen the rest on the list... though I was still quite young when they were in the theaters.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot
    3. Re: BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot Mar 8, 2012, 10:36 kanniballl

fujiJuice wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 10:10:
    grudgebearer wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 10:05:
    Ffs...that is a huge screenshot...

And it isn't even high quality, looks like someone enlarged it after the fact.

Yeh, it's like someone took a thumbnail, enlarged it in photoshop, and saved it as a multi-megapixel image.

-Fry, Futurama

1. TSA: 60mm Mortar Round and Other Interesting Finds Mar 8, 2012, 08:56 kanniballl

The whole TSA thing, it's like they're trying to justify their existence.

No offense, but so what: they found an inert 60mm mortar round. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't that mean there were NO explosives or propellant or really ANYTHING special in there. But the whole "incoming" statement makes me think they're trying to say "what a gosh darn dangerous thing we stopped from happening"

Some of the other stuff, I'll give them; weapons and strong fire works are probably things we don't want on a plane.

Yes, there are dangerous people out there; either on purpose or because they're so stupid.

But can I finally bring that 1 liter bottle of Poland Spring through security? No?

-Fry, Futurama

44. Re: DARPA cheetah Mar 7, 2012, 10:25 kanniballl

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 23:54:

Haha. When I tell people I don't have any TV service they look at me like I'm from another planet. Trying to explain that it's cheaper for me to buy DVDs, Blu-rays, or HD downloads of the handful of TV shows I watch than to pay for a subscription to TV service is like trying to explain to a hardcore Southern Baptist that Jesus wasn't a white guy. It just doesn't compute for them.

I'm surprised, now-a-days I know a bunch of people (even tech UN-savvy) considering dropping their Cable service in favor of some variation of: Netflix + DVDs + iTunes + Hulu.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:56 kanniballl

Fortunately this list isn't on-air at 100% the same time... between staggering things and weeks off it's not as insane of a list of you might think.

- Archer
    - Spartacus
    - House of Lies
    - Dexter (just started getting back into that show)
    - Homeland
    - Fringe
    - Psych
    - Lost Girl
    - The River
    - NCIS
    - New Girl (eh, it's quirky)
    - Big Bang Theory
    - Person of Interest
    - The Good Wife
    - Once Upon a Time
    - How I Met Your Mother (though I'm cutting back on that)

And off-season
    - Royal Pains
    - Covert Affairs
    - Fairly Legal
    - Eureka
    - Warehouse 13

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2012, 13:01.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 12:06 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 11:58:

I know NOTHING about this show, but based on your Life on Mars comment (and the list), it makes me think this is another copy of a good BBC show, that I can't remember the name of.... Primeval.. I think...

-Alamar

Primeval was better, or at least Season 1-2 were solid (haven't seen the later stuff).

But they were different. Terra Nova more-or-less takes place 100% in the past; they time travel there to a (supposed) alternate timeline since their world is borked. So they have lotteries for some / and pick necessary people for others, to send back so humanity can thrive on "green" tech.

With the exception of Dinos and the final head-scratching scene of the show... there's very little similarities between them.

Terra Nova was actually more of a Earth 2 vibe but without all of the walking; surviving in the wilderness with weird stuff going on. With a little Avatar stuff thrown in: regular-Earth eventually decides it wants to strip-mine the Eden-like planet but the leader of Terra Nova wants to preserve it.

In a role-reversal, the guy who played the "Evil" General in "Avatar" now plays the "Save the Trees" guy in Terra Nova.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 9.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo