Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2012, 09:33 kanniballl

I think it stinks if the professor was fired for being skeptical. I believe in man-made or at least man-influenced global warming, but even still...

It's a theory... it's pretty much a scientist's job to challenge a theory until it can be sufficiently proven or disproven. To simply accept the status-quo "just because" is quite hurtful to our knowledge of the universe.

I'm not saying a scientist should then support or teach creationism as a science which (as much as fundies deny) is not grounded in ANY science.

But to challenge or be skeptical of a theory that, let's face it, is going to be *really* hard to 100% prove one way or the other... I don't see that as terrible.

And certainly not a fireable offense.

In science, it's technically just as exciting to disprove something as it is to prove something... because either way we've LEARNED something about the universe.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: No more fast forward Jun 21, 2012, 08:36 kanniballl

Ratty wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 20:20:
I knew this was coming. Comcast has disabled fast forwarding on some of their VOD network shows for a couple of months now.

Fios started doing that years ago... especially with ABC shows.

In their case, there is (or at least WAS) a work-around. Start fast forwarding IMMEDIATELY... as soon as the menu VOD menu disappears and the screen turns black. It prevent(ed) the feature from being locked out.

I guess they apply the "fast-forward lock" a couple of seconds into the recording... probably just before the big screen comes up saying "we're turning off fast forward." There's probably a delay with reading a database to say "should we lock-out-fast forward"

And they probably can't apply the lock while fast forward is in effect.

But I haven't checked in the last few weeks.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2012, 13:54 kanniballl

That sucks man. I hate just being OUTSIDE when it's 90+ and decent humidity... and I'm not carrying any gear let alone physically doing stuff and wearing a weapon belt, dark uniform, etc.

-Fry, Futurama

12. MA town puts $20 fine on profanity Jun 18, 2012, 23:16 kanniballl

Personally I think the zealous stance against profanity is overrated. I'm not saying people should be dropping F-bombs every other sentence (I hate that) but sometimes a curse-word gets the point across and the emotion behind it.

Example: if I get early-AM wake-up support calls multiple 3 days in a row and about 238 emails in my inbox... all due to work being done by another department.

I might drop a curse-word.

What gets the point across better?
  • Their performance was unacceptable, I should not have to be bothered so much
  • The migration was a frickin disaster

• The first one, heck that could be said about anything (minor outage and a dozen emails). Maybe a minor inconvenience to me and the customers.

The second says "woah, this really went poorly"

- EDIT -
    Commented my word-choice. Though even using "frickin " has gotten me into trouble in the workplace

-

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2012, 23:11 kanniballl

Blue wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 14:29:
    no1uno wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:52:
    I believe you're thinking of "Demolition Man" as the movie involving profanity being banned (recall, Stallone curses over and over to get enough paper to use the toilet, not yet having mastered "the three shells"...)
    -- Monte

D'oh! You are correct... thanks.

I'm confused... where is the Demolition Man quote above? Did Blue remove it?

Nevermind I see it.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    1. Verizon Officially Announces FiOS Quantum Jun 18, 2012, 17:09 kanniballl

Cool I guess. 150Megabit and 300Megabit offerings. The 150 isn't even priced too badly compared to the regular 50... so it's worth it if you were already "up there"

300Megabit is quite an expensive upgrade though. I wouldn't bother unless I was a business. But if you have a couple of techies living under the same roof then 150 might be worthwhile.

Though I am curious about the whole Fios Coverage Expansion. A bunch of places have reported that in blogs and such that they halted expansion... so I don't know if it's still halted for good... or if they just temporarily halted until Quantum rolled out.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 18, 2012, 13:34 kanniballl

Minuit wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 13:00:
    Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 09:37:
    [Linux] runs the servers, it runs the networking equipment, but only the IT support staff has a clue it's going on, which is maybe 0.5% of any business staff.

Few businesses run it in any other capacity.

So... How's that Android phone working out for you?

In his defense, he's saying few BUSINESSES run it in other capacities.

I'm not reading that as "that's the only capacity it is run... period"

It's true: most commercial places are Windows for the employee workstations (and even many of the servers)... with Linux running a lot of the back-end servers. Things the average employee don't even know exist let alone what OS is running it.

Sure, there ARE businesses out there that use either Linux, Unix, or even OSX on their employee workstations but they are few and far between

That being said: the one place where it HAS grown significantly is the smart phone. But your average user neither knows nor cares.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    1. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jun 18, 2012, 09:31 kanniballl

The cellphone/wifi thing still bugs me. People are still flipping out over it. I don't mean someone saying "well maybe it's a possibility" but freaking out and saying "Turn off your WiFi, you're giving my child cancer!" Or "your WiFi is the cause of my symptoms A-Z"

Out of the 7+billion people, are there people that might have some sort of sensitivity to EM? I guess.

But most of the people claiming to have it are either hypochondriacs / paranoid / silly.

Like sometimes I hear posts saying that person X can HEAR the EM. Because when he goes camping or stays at a cabin... everything is quiet. OF COURSE it's going to be quiet: no cars, no road noise, no refrigerator humm, etc.

And that high-pitched sound your CRT or whatever makes isn't you hearing the 2.4GHz spectrum, it's just some transformer in there or something whining since TV's are never really off.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
    44. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:31 kanniballl

Draugr wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 15:29:
    Dell also has a 27" standalone monitor with the same guts as the apple cinema dsiplay (or whatever it's called,) minus the apple pricetag/tax

True, but as he was talking about getting an iMac... I imagine he was looking for an All-in-One solution.

Otherwise, why not just say "wait for a 27" IPS Monitor"

Hence the Dell AiO

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
    9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 17, 2012, 15:26 kanniballl

I've read this in a few forums, so apologies if Blues was one of them and I'm just repeating it...

The following may be related.

So apparently, Verizon has decided not expand its FIOS network anymore. Apparently laying down more and more Fiber was getting too expensive.

So if your area doesn't have FIOS yet, chances are you won't.

Some of the RUMOR I've read is that they're going to focus on rollowing out 4g wireless internet solutions instead

I wonder if that's what they're going to announce: focusing on wireless data for homes

-

-Fry, Futurama

41. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 15:05 kanniballl

Alamar wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 14:23:

But that's in the living room... I want a '1440p' resolution on my desktop, because I like screen real-estate... Which may come in the form of the 27" iMac, but I want to wait on the next model, which could be a year+ away...

-Alamar

The Dell Inspiron All-In-One offers a 27" screen with the same rez as the iMac. So if you're going to just turn the iMac into a 100% Bootcamp machine then you might want to look at the Dell. (Obviously though if you want to use it as a Mac, then you'd get the iMac).

As for the iMac, Apple sent a clarification stating that the MacPro would be seeing its update in 2013... right after the outcry when the exec said MacPro and iMac.

So some are taking that correction to mean iMac in 2012.

And some are taking it to mean iMac in 2014

-

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2012, 15:30.

-Fry, Futurama

30. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2012, 11:17 kanniballl

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 11:01:
    When the 360 came out PC were already ahead of it, yet the graphics on the 360 were superior. when you understand why that was true you will get what a significant increase in quality those specs would bring the 720.

My understanding was, games on the 360 were usually running at most at 720p, and then UPSAMPLING IT to 1080

Likewise, the same versions of the games that were PORTED to the PC sucked because... well... they were ported badly.

I'm not saying the 360 was weak sauce, but it didn't have superior graphics. It did have very solid graphics though for the time... and still looks quite good.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 23:07 kanniballl

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 14:57:
    They're almost all total crap, but as they get more power and better input options they'll become the same as what PC games are now.

Most are crap

But every now and then you find a fun an addictive game. The next thing you know, you've put like 50+ hours into it over a month or two...

All for a game that cost like $0.99 to $5.00 USD

I'm not saying that iPhone/iPad games are the future. Just that, things are a little different now.

Game Companies have to make sure they deliver something GOOD for their $50.00 to $60.00 price tag. Else people will say "screw it" and not upgrade their shiny XBox 720's or whatever.

It's almost like Indie gaming going mainstream in the public eyes... you can get fun product for dirt cheap... at least compared to the crappy AAA Console titles that have been released

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
    8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 14, 2012, 10:09 kanniballl

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 08:15:
    The problem is many people still recalls PC gaming as sitting at a desk with a 15" tube monitor, and you have to upgrade your PC components every 4-6 months to have games running at 20fps, update drivers, hardware conflicts, lots of wires everywhere, viruses, etc etc.
    Where consoles you pop the disc in sit back on your couch and play the game, put the headset on and you can instantly interact with others in MP....

I'm a techie, and though I don't envision it like that... I can still see the appeal of consoles. I kind of dig playing games while sitting on the couch. It's more laid-back and I don't feel like I'm still sitting at my job while I'm trying to relax and unwind.

Typically: you just pop in the cartridge, DVD, whatever and you're good to go. No
  • worrying about the current nVidia drivers not running this game well
  • I guess my CPU on the minimum requirements means the BARE minimum
  • the voice chat for this game sucks or doesn't exist... let me install client-X

• To install it's just: hook up to network, plug into TV, done.
    To play: sit on couch, switch the TV input, pop up headphones, and enjoy.

That being said, consoles are getting more PC-like.
  • You have to worry about "Hard Disk space" again.
  • You are required (or coerced) into downloading a game update/patch, or even a console OS update.
  • Since online is such a big component, you have to worry about whether your spouse adjusted the firewall settings on your router.
  • etc
  •  
    -Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 12:14 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 02:07:
    kanniballl wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 01:52:
    Also, the eyes were tender while wearing the "bandaid" contact lense.

Good god tell me about it. That's why I'm up right now, decided to hop on the internet to see if that was normal and lo and behold there's your post

I thought it was dryness but drops aren't helping... Feels like that contact is a rock in there. Didn't bother me this much the first night.

Yeh, I didn't feel that bad the first day... Maybe the meds, maybe because my eyes hadn't yet begun to heal

But those first couple of nights sucked. It's hard to sleep when your eyes hurt/burn/whatever as you close them.

I knew going in that PRK was going to have more of a healing curve than Lasik.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 3, 2012, 01:52 kanniballl

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 17:06:
    Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 14:16:
    Sepharo wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 12:43:
    Had laser eye surgery on Friday morning.

Lasek in one eye and Lasik in the other because of my dry eyes. Lasik is with the flap and Lasek is the surface treatment, the same laser was used and was a very quick painless process. I'm almost 20/20 already in the Lasik eye, a few more days and I'll be there. The Lasek eye has a medical contact on and is more of a week of recovery, that eye is currently pretty blurry but still probably not as bad as it was without my glasses before. I need to put a ton of eye drops in though... 4x steroid, 3x anti-bac, 1x anti-inflam and then artifical tears throughout the day as my eyes dry.

I'm still nervous about the end results but the doctor and his staff are extremely helpful.

Nice, I had Lasik on both eyes a couple of years ago. Best money I ever spent. I couldn't see the alarm clock in the morning without putting on my glasses, and now I am better than 20/20 in both eyes.

I was freaking out for a while too because I couldn't see very well afterwards, but it healed up nice. I'm sure yours will too.

Pretty much same experience for me, except I had PRK instead of Lasik. Better than 20/20 now too. Of course the doc said that my vision will still degrade as I get older, but I really couldn't care less. I haven't had to wear contacts or glasses since then (about 4 years ago now), and life is so much better

Hope it works out as well for you Seph!

Also had PRK about 5 years ago. Quite happy with it.

The idea of Lasik, with the flap there, really bothered me. So I opted for PRK.

Longer recovery time though; my boss had Lasik like 2 years after I had mine and only missed a day of work. I think she believes I was stretching my time off for it.

The only problem the few days of recovery. I was fine that day, but was SUPER light-sensitive for a few days after. Like, TV and computer were out of the question even with the brightness turned down. And I wore shades in the house. So it was just books-on-tape to keep me sane.

Also, the eyes were tender while wearing the "bandaid" contact lense.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Space X vs NASA May 29, 2012, 10:26 kanniballl

It doesn't look that bad.

In the NASA pics, some angles show that there's a full blown desk mostly out of view of the camera. So people have a PC in front of them and binders behind them. Most of the posters on that page are assuming that there are zero computers in there since they can't see them.

If something hits the fan (PC outage, network issue, etc) I'd rather have the information on paper behind me than not at all. Especially when lives are on the table as well as Millions of $ of equipment.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Wars Game Announcement This Week
    37. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 10:00 kanniballl

nin wrote on May 29, 2012, 09:56:
    20+ keys on a keyboard + 1 joystick (with X buttons)

to:
    1 XBox Controller (and that's it)

Actually, the more I think about it it might not be that bad since the XBox controller has 8 regular buttons + 4 DPad buttons + 2 ThumbClicks

So 12 decent buttons + 2 crummy ones.

Pretty sure you could hold down one button while using another. So you could use the U/D on a D pad for one thing, and then hold down a button while using U/D on the D pad for another.

Not that that would be fun or anything...I certainty wouldn't want it.

Just think! More thought had gone into a XWing/TIE sequel in this thread than Lucasarts every has!

Nah, which is why I didn't bother even discussing 2-button-combos (Left Trigger + DLeft == cover that target). I hate them in slow games... in a fast-paced space sim they would infuriate me.

If they had to use the baseline number of buttonsr of the XBox controller then we could still end up with a full featured game. If we could optionally bind those to Keyboard + Flight Stick then we could still have a good game that can "fit" onto an XBox Controller for people that want to / need to use it.

Left-thumb = flight control (click to target in front of you)
    Right-thumb = throttle (click to match speed)

That gives us at least 12 13 buttons for:
    - fire weapon
    - toggle weapon
    - toggle weapon x-fire
    - cycle laser recharge
    - cycle shield recharge
    - give laser -> shield
    - give shield -> laser
    - 1/3 speed
    - nearest enemy
    - nearest protection-objective
    - cycle enemies
    - cycle friendlies
    - Command squadron to attack/defend/HELP

That doesn't cover ALL of the old game, but enough that it wouldn't feel too crippled. Spread those across a solid flight stick and/or keyboard and you have the potential for a solid space sim.

-

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 10:18.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Wars Game Announcement This Week
    35. Re: Star Wars Game Announcement This Week May 29, 2012, 09:46 kanniballl

panbient wrote on May 29, 2012, 06:35:
    Ceribaen wrote on May 29, 2012, 05:05:
    I don't understand why we've never seen them take XWing, TIE Fighter, and XvT and combine them into one upgraded package. There's a kickstarter I'd get behind.

Of course, they'd probably dumb down the controls and build it for XBOX/PS3 first - and forget to give a configurable keyboard layout in the PC version, expecting you to use a console controller to play.

Guessing you never actually played those games since you NEEDED to own a joystick / flight stick to actually do anything besides look at the menus.

Umm, I think Ceribean was complaining about the (most likely) scenario that the game company would dumb down the controls so you can run the whole thing on an XBOX CONTROLLER. Since most games are migrating that way for the whole MS Certification + hopes of going onto Consoles.

Not that you'd need a joystick, but that it would be watered down to go

20+ keys on a keyboard + 1 joystick (with X buttons)

to:
    1 XBox Controller (and that's it)

Actually, the more I think about it it might not be that bad since the XBox controller has 8 regular buttons + 4 DPad buttons + 2 ThumbClicks

So 12 decent buttons + 2 crummy ones.

If you could optionally map those to a Keyboard+FlightStick that would be enough to run the game fairly close enough to the old specs. You'd lose some features (some of which were very handy) but otherwise it could be close enough

-

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 09:52.

-Fry, Futurama

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 29, 2012, 09:13 kanniballl

The cop thing kind of surprises me... not that he was speeding, but that he got his job back afterwards.

Getting caught going over 100MpH is a big deal. In most states they impound your car right away and (I think) throw reckless driving charges at you. And if he was drunk while doing it I don't even know what else that would mean (public endagerment, etc).

My understanding is, having felonies under your belt pretty much kill your chances in GETTING a job as a cop. So I'd think getting them would also end your career... especially something like that.

Doing ONE of those, OK fine... maybe keep the job. But both of those at the same time probably warrants enough felonies to mean no police career.

-

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 8.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo