Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2012, 23:36 kanniballl

Yeh, there was a bristle brush thing on the news last month here in NJ. (I don't know where the victim lived, but it made the news here).

In short: metal wire from brush left on grill. Adhered to burgers/steaks. Swallowed. Messed a guy up.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
61. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 09:46 kanniballl

Verno wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 09:38:
On the other hand, some see Valve as selfish as wanting a bigger slice of the pie by demanding a piece of the DLC.

Valve doesn't want the DLC exclusively, they just want the same opportunity to sell it that other places are getting. Otherwise companies can simply leverage their player base by throwing a shell onto the service and profit solely from the DLC while cutting out the middleman. I don't see a problem with that either, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

It is beyond to silly to sell a title on Steam then preclude it from selling DLC for that game. Forget Valve for a moment, that's bad for the consumer as well.

Agreed, but was playing devil's advocate and just parroting what I've heard people say in the past.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 3, 2012, 09:40 kanniballl

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 22:25:

I love how that article says Best Buy is only beat out by Amazon because Amazon doesn't have to charge sales tax. Bullshit. Look up any TV Best Buy carries. I would put down money that Amazon has the same model with free shipping for at least $200 less. I've used Best Buy to look at my last three TVs and then purchased them for hundreds less on Amazon. Games are less, movies are less, computers are less. I can't think of one thing that Best Buy charges less for.

My family's had bad luck getting TV's online: arriving either physically damaged or just plain-old DOA. So we tend to use brick-and-mortar stores for them.

However I don't tend to use BestBuy. There are a couple of small places nearby that offer pricing pretty close to Amazon for the stuff I've looked at (even after tax/delivery). No fedex/UPS/etc... they just deliver it in a van from the store if I want.

And I feel better that if there's a problem it's less of a hastle than dealing with an online place.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > EA to "Be a 100% Digital Company, Period"
59. Re: EA to Jul 3, 2012, 09:25 kanniballl

necrosis wrote on Jul 3, 2012, 09:17:
smg77 wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:36:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 23:03:
So it's ok for Valve to cut out retailers, but not ok for EA to do it because their "evviillll" /Dr Evil voice You people crack me the fuck up.

Valve didn't kick EA off of Steam. EA left Steam because they wanted to cut Valve out of DLC profits for their games sold on Steam.
Nooo. EA was booted from Steam because Valve changed their TOS and EA's new games were not abiding by the change.

Similar descriptions of the same thing: tomato / tomahto scenario: minus who's choice it was to actually leave.

One one hand: if you're going to use a digital distro system to host and deliver your files and really do about 90% of the heavy lifting for delivering the game AND the DLC. So cutting them out is lame and selfish.

On the other hand, some see Valve as selfish as wanting a bigger slice of the pie by demanding a piece of the DLC.

Between those two view points, I side with Valve more (and I am NOT a huge Valve fan anymore).

It just makes sense... else EA/whoever could charge $5 for the game and then $55 for the DLC and Valve is doing all of the work for you for some % of $5. Or have the game downloaded as a "demo" (with 100% of the files) and a link in the game to buy the full thing for $60 (and Valve gets essentially nothing).

-

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 15:25 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 10:56:
I saw From Dusk Till Dawn on the big screen when I was around twelve, with my brother and father. Grin
I don't think my mother would have approved.

I like to think it helped accelerate my growth into the fine, upstanding citizen I am today!

God, I was in high school. I think Junior or Senior year.

My buds and I were hanging out and we figured we'd rent the movie since our BlockBuster didn't have much else. About 1/2 of us had seen it, and the other half inspected the (real) box before agreeing to pickup the Generic Block Buster box. The film had already been on video for a while at that point.

They got pissed when I spoiled the "big surprise twist"

Like they were complaining about how slow it was, and bikers aren't that scary. And I said something like "just give it some time, the Vampires will show up eventually"

Apparently they had no idea what the heck I was talking about. And got annoyed that I ruined the "Surprise Twist"

Dude: you saw the box, the tag lines, and the description. If that's still a twist, I don't know WHAT to say to you.

-

-Fry, Futurama

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2012, 15:14 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2012, 12:31:
...It was fine, as the movie has all sorts of childish "adult" humor, but probably nothing he hasn't seen or heard already, and he's such a smart, mature kid, it was obvious he kept it in perspective....

Yeh, some parents need to realize that.

Chances are kids hear their parents/siblings/friends/students drop S-bombs, F-bombs, and worse throughout the year.

What I LOVE is when I've hear a parent drop an F-bomb in front of their kid... and shortly afterwards FREAK... THE... HECK... OUT at some random stranger who had the nerve to use that same language while talking to his buddy in ear-shot of their kid.

Seriously: grocery shopping. A father says to his wife, "I don't care, we don't need any more F'ing oranges." 5 minutes later, wife goes off on stranger for dropping the S-bomb in THE NEXT CASHIER LINE OVER from where she was.

Sigh

Meanwhile said parents probably let their kid watch HBO and such when they're not looking.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts
12. Re: Clint Hocking Leaves LucasArts Jun 30, 2012, 19:26 kanniballl

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 10:47:
last good game LucasArts made was Tie Fighter.

• XWing Alliance was good
  • JediKnight 2 was awesome
  • JediKnight 3: Academy was good/aright
  • Republic Commando was quite good.

• True, "Tie Fighter" smashed them all. But those above were solid.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art?
    24. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Art? Jun 28, 2012, 08:31 kanniballl

Acleacius wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 23:28:
    Wallshadows wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 21:26:
    Has Valve ever given a reason as to why they hate making a third title in a series or is that just a fallacy created by fans?
    No but Gordon is the problem, no speech or character depth.

Some people like that: by Gordon NOT talking it immerses you more into the story... that YOU'RE Gordon.

The imagination can cope with that a lot more than "your" voice-over speaking for you... often saying something you wouldn't even want to say. Or going into 3rd person to show "you" doing something or talking to someone.

Personally, I don't care either way. But to some people, doing it that way tells the story better than occasionally turning the game into an advanced "pop up book"

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:40 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:58:
    Broke down and preordered TNG from Amazon for $78...hard to say no to that.

Apparently they're trying to feature at least one extended episode in S2 with 20 minutes of previously unseen footage...

Between watching the episodes originally, their immediate reruns and syndications, and the whole bunch of reruns that have aired over the last few years (SciFi/SyFy, BBCAmerica, Spike, etc) I've seen all of the episodes enough times to no longer care about TNG.

Though an extended episode might be neat, but I wouldn't shell out for a whole box set to see it.

I do like the episode they extended, and feel it's a solid philosophical debate. But, what always bothered me was this is taking place hundreds of years into the future where we'd already seen one cybernetic race (NOT counting the Borg). And yet they STILL hadn't squared away rights around AI's? Seriously?

-

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2012, 13:50.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 13:37 kanniballl

Bodolza wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:55:
    kanniballl wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 12:26:
    Perhaps turning the bio-weapon black goo into incubators (or whatever) for eggs. And overgrowing the metal canisters and either turning them into resin or forming a big resin cocoon around them.

Most of the "plot holes" are people not understanding the movie, or complaints about Scott not explaining everything, which isn't a plot hole.

The cylinders were created by the Engineers to deliver the black goo. The eggs are laid by the Xenomorph.

Honestly, I haven't seen it yet. I'm just going by what a friend (in r/l) told me since he wouldn't shut up about the movie. One of the things he complained about was "the pod room" was filled with metal cylinders instead of resin cocoons. And thus was an epic fail.

So I was just using my imagination to fill in that hole, assuming my friend was correct about stuff. Figured if he was right, then aliens turning the cylinders into cocoons wasn't much of a stretch considering what they did to the place in (I think) AlienS

So, he kind of ruined the movie for me since I know the general plot now.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 27, 2012, 13:23 kanniballl

NKD wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 17:19:
    DangerDog wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 16:59:
    Aside from Jeff Daniels and Sam Waterston I hated the rest of the cast,

Sam Waterston as a mostly happy drunk was fantastic. I was worried his character was gonna be too much like Jack McCoy.

I laughed SO out loud when Sam Waterston lost his sh*t and threatened the guy towards the beginning of the episode. Something like "I'm a Marine and I will beat you to death" or something.

Seriously, I cracked up. And then I began to wonder how much more interesting Law & Order would've been if he'd lost his sh*t like that there too.

• Sorry, we messed up with the evidence collection

• You son-of-a-***! I will eat your family!

• -

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 kanniballl

InBlack wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 10:35:
    And yet this movie STILL MADE MONEY!!!!

Someone needs to nuke the human race out of existence, the older I get the more cynical I get with regards to what we have acomplished so far.

P.S.

Saw Prometheus last night. Fuck it I knew Scott sold out to big hollywood with the Gladiator, but I never thought he would take a huge fucking giant dump on his own work (Alien) in this disrespectful way.

His direction and photography is as always quite brilliant but the rest...Jesus what baloney. The acting horrible (apart from David) the writing...atrocious. The plot holes as giant as fucking spaceships...

Its clear to me that he took the money and he simply does not give a fuck. I can imagine it in my head:

Assistant director: Erm Ridley, we had egg pods in alien, but now we have these metal containers..
    Ridley Scott: What really? Fuck it my memory is not what it used to be, oh well who gives a fuck, no one cares about that shit anyway....

Assistant director: Erm Ridley, in "Alien" they find one ship and little else on the planet, but here in the script it says we have 'multiple' ships and..
    Ridlesy Scott: Oh shut the fuck up and go bugger someone else, cant you see Im having so much fun with my 3d camera???

Firstly, didn't Scott say that it was going to be a psuedo-reboot of the franchise instead of a straight-prequel. In which case, things might not be 100% the same.

As for the pods... I can see things changing with the cylinders.

From my understanding, by the end of Prometheus we have some biological "stuff" still going on. So I could see that, after a few decades/centuries/whatever, that by the time Ripley arrives... the things have overgrown and subverted parts of the ship.

Perhaps turning the bio-weapon black goo into incubators (or whatever) for eggs. And overgrowing the metal canisters and either turning them into resin or forming a big resin cocoon around them.

Hell, didn't one of the films show the thing had overgrown part of a ship base and turned it from metal walls and caves to resin sphincter looking stuff? Same thing could have been done to the cylinders.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
    23. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 12:15 kanniballl

The Pyro wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 11:42:
    ME3 is a solid game despite the ending. Spoilery discussion of the ending is below:
    I had two complaints about the ending:

2) *major spoilers* StarKid comes out of nowhere, and his motivations make no sense whatsoever. We're supposed to believe that the Reapers [synthetics] wipe out advanced organics in order to prevent other synthetics from wiping out organics? Why do they care? Why preserve primitive organics if you're just going to wipe them out later? Do the Reapers have some sort of free will, or are they just tools of StarKid? Where are the organics that created StarKid / Reapers, and what happened to them?

Well, the "motivations" make sense
    SST

No matter HOW much you tell someone NOT to do something, or HOW much evidence you throw at them... someone's going to do it anyway. So no matter what they would say or do, someone would start creating synthetic beings and the chances are high that things would hit the fan and they'd just decide to wipe out 100% of all organic life.

And if the fear is creating synthetics will wipe out 100% of all organic life... then for immortal (or insanely long-"lived" beings) then wiping out 90% and making them rebuild is probably logical.

Organic life will continue... but will just be starting from ground-zero every few millennium. And to you, something that exists for many MANY millennium, it probably doesn't seem so bad that they keep getting knocked down.

For your dog, it probably sees it as an ETERNITY when his master has left him home alone. When, to the master, it was just an hour or so to run some errands and buy friggin dog food.

/SST

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Self-sufficient, environmentally friendly artificial floating island up for sale Jun 26, 2012, 17:47 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2012, 16:08:
    Uh, yeah. Exactly in what way is it self-sufficient?

Yeh, when I first read the title I'm was thinking:

Cool, I guess they made an actual island with foliage and (somehow) a fresh water source.

Nope: it's a slightly round yacht without an engine.

While we're at it; I have space capsule for sale. It greatly resembles an old Buick... but it's still a mostly metal capsule that can withstand space. It just can't support YOU, you re-entry.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 26, 2012, 14:10 kanniballl

It was a decent episode: very Aaran Sorkin.

The episode starts out with the a news anchor (at a college interview) and losing his **** when asked why America is the greatest country. He goes onto how we're 20th here, 120th there, etc and the only thing we're #1 is in military spending.

While everything is captured by cellphones by the audience.

BUT he then goes onto saying how America WAS the greatest, why it was the greatest, and how it CAN be the greatest again.

But... from the sounds of the following scenes... the only thing that got through to the talking heads was the first part and his "unpatriotic" rant.

Actually, the whole speech was darn great.

-

-Fry, Futurama

8. Self-sufficient, environmentally friendly artificial floating island up for sale Jun 26, 2012, 13:17 kanniballl

Self-sufficient, environmentally friendly artificial floating island up for sale

Or in other words...

A glorified Barge... with yacht furnishings.

Ummm, no thanks.

-Fry, Futurama

4. How movie theaters SHOULD be laid out Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 kanniballl

Funny, but I disagree that sitting next to the elderly is like 1st class seating.

From my experience an elderly couple is often talking. I don't mean "elderly" as like 60 as some kids think, but like 70/80 and up.

Usually it's one spouse explaining what just happened because the other spouse doesn't "get it" or can't hear or can't see or whatever.

Granted, it's usually quieter than some kids yelling THEIR stuff... but hardly silent. And in a twisty film like "Inception" it's REALLY annoying to hear one spouse have to explain every single bit in every single scene.

Seriously... Inception was just an annoying experience due to that fact alone. But even still, it was less annoying than "Woman who brings in baby to see 10PM horror movie" or "loud teens saying stupid stuff"

The rest of the diagram... I can agree with. Including the "Toilet of Shame"

-

-Fry, Futurama

5. Brevity - Huh? Jun 25, 2012, 10:23 kanniballl

OK, I'm confused. What does the 25-Jun Brevity mean?

Is the guard afraid he's gonna strip? Is that supposed to be a rock star? Does this have something to do with a news item I'm not following?

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2012, 10:19 kanniballl

Blue couldn't finish typing, because as he got to that sentence he realized the Tree guys were actually home-invaders and they silenced him.

Seriously though, without reading the rest of the post... that is one of the things I'd be wary off. You hire some guys to do something: tree stuff, roof stuff, security-system stuff, etc. then they know the layout of your home and perhaps your schedule.

Having them "stop by" unannounced would give me pause to wonder what they were doing there.

-

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2012, 10:01 kanniballl

Zadig wrote on Jun 21, 2012, 17:43:
    It's strange that the "Northeast" is about 10 degrees hotter than the Carolinas. First a snowless winter, then a 'mild' summer? Lucky me.

Yeh, we've had fairly mild weather lately. Summer in the 80s, not that much snow in the Winter (just the freak storm in October).

So this mini heat wave kind of came out of nowhere. I believe Thursday broke 100...

which might sound wimpy to some of you but tack on humidity and factor in the fact it just hit us like a wall of heat (after weeks of 80s) and it's considerable.

-

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 7.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo