Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans
21. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 14:40 kanniballl

Raptor wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:12:
Dx3 was more futuristic than Dx1, yet is supposed to have happened before, so go figure.

I don't know who's more "at fault" over that one. The first one was supposed to be set in the future where cyberized people are already the norm. And thinking back, with the exception of only a few things it really didn't look futuristic.

Don't get me wrong, it was one of the best PC games ever... but really think back. Until some of those hi-tech bases at the end nothing really looked that hi-tech. Run down brownstones, sewers, old European buildings, Nevada Desert outside A51, etc. The only cool / slick place I remember "outside" was Hong Kong.

Maybe it was the lack of really detailed textures and really-low poly counts. Maybe they were going for "trashed dystopian future where the Statue of Liberty is gone, but lots of people have metal on their faces and some have swords that could pass for light sabers."

Meanwhile... by the time DX3 came out the graphics engines were able to do a lot more. Instead of a plain gray stripe on a toon's face or arm you could now see a texture of lines and such. Instead of a low poly-count hexagon for a limb (with little/no texture), you can now go for something the shape of an Olympic Athlete only instead made of resin an cable.

So I blame that more on the limiting tech for the first game than the second game going "too far" with their graphics.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 14:47.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > LucasArts FPS Plans?
19. Re: LucasArts FPS Plans? Jul 10, 2012, 13:55 kanniballl

Wildone wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:11:
Noooo its gotta be Clone Wars! Bcus they havn't beaten that dead horse to death yet, it was boring as hell in the movies and they have to keep diggin at it with more cartoons, toys and more shitty games! Apparently kids liked that stupid ass concept which was boring bcus, we already know nothing will happen to the main characters! LOL NO DRAMA!!! LOL!!!!!!

I had lots of issues with the whole Clone War thing, but "knowing how it ends" and "knowing this guy isn't going to die here" isn't one of them. True, I could've done without Ep1-Ep3 in general or young Annie + JarJar.

Yes, we KNEW that Anakin became Darth Vader. But with the exception of some of the books we really didn't know HOW. What drove him? Was he a nice guy before hand? Was he tricked? What else was going on at the time? Were there other cool characters back then? What was it LIKE before the Jedi Purge? etc

We knew Obi-Wan survived up through Ep 4 so him being "in danger" during the various Clone Wars cartoons was silly. But what his life like during a full blown war? Did he ever stray close to the dark side? Did he ever partake in questionable actions? etc.

Heck, I liked a couple of the Clone War cartoons that showed Anakin on the edge of the Dark Side... including that one episode that hardly had any dialog and was him freeing the aliens. Obviously he wasn't going to "fall" yet but it was interesting watching him deal with it.

Knowing how something ends doesn't make the rest worthless. Knowing that "one day I'm going to die" doesn't mean that all life and joy are meaningless.

Knowing that someone survived with all of their limbs intact until the end of a war / adventure doesn't mean everything you see in backstories is boring or meaningless. I mean, if your grandfather was telling you war stories of when he was an Air Force pilot... obviously he survived to tell you but it might still fascinate / shock / excite you when you hear what went down.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 14:01.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: LucasArts FPS Plans? Jul 10, 2012, 13:33 kanniballl

Dev wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:01:
Wildone wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:09:
FUCKINGGGGGGGGG XXXXXXXXX-WINNNNNNGGG???????!!!! 0_0!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, you want an FPS version of x-wing !!?!!?!

Well technically, for most of X-Wing you were:
- In the first-person perspective
- Shooting stuff

So under the most strict definitions, X-Wing was a first person shooter. You just weren't bound by gravity or a specific plane.

Heck, you even had regenerating shields

-

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 12:10 kanniballl

Slashman wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 12:07:
kanniballl wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:43:
TheEmissary wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:20:
I totally agree with you there. Stop giving Uwe Boll and people of the same mindset access to game IP. Haven't we suffered through enough really horrible game movies such as Mario, Wing Commander, Street Fighter, Far Cry, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Max Payne, and battleship. The list goes on.

If you are going to do a film based on a movie you better understand the source material.

The first Mortal Kombat wasn't too horrible, at least I felt it was better than the other ones you listed.

I thought though that there was one decent game->movie remake made, I just forget what.

-EDIT-
After looking through a list on Wikipedia... yeh I can't find a game->movie that was really good.

You can't find one because games and movies are completely different entertainment experiences. The things that make games great are not the same things that make movies great.

Books to movies? Sure!

Games to movies? Not so much...

The even worse part is that even when you find something in a game that would be decent movie material, the director gets all up in arms with creative license and changes the stuff that would translate well anyway.

Oh I know. I had originally posted that the other month I thought I saw a movie based on a game that was actually decent. But I couldn't remember it. After looking at the list on Wikipedia I couldn't find it.

So it was probably a movie based on a book or CGI-cartoon or SOMETHING that my memory incorrectly linked to Game X

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2012, 11:47 kanniballl

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:43:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:36:
Aaaand swimming in Lake Lou Yaeger is now on the list of things to avoid.

The video I saw yesterday said they wouldn't survive an illinois winter(*) so just make sure you wear a cup until then.

*Which mean they'll thrive through the winter, and be biting the shit out of people by spring.

I don't know which is scarier... that or the Candiru.

I guess the Candiru, since that can come out of nowhere and you KNOW everyone is just tempted to pee in the water.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 11:43 kanniballl

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:20:
I totally agree with you there. Stop giving Uwe Boll and people of the same mindset access to game IP. Haven't we suffered through enough really horrible game movies such as Mario, Wing Commander, Street Fighter, Far Cry, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Max Payne, and battleship. The list goes on.

If you are going to do a film based on a movie you better understand the source material.

The first Mortal Kombat wasn't too horrible, at least I felt it was better than the other ones you listed.

I thought though that there was one decent game->movie remake made, I just forget what.

-EDIT-
After looking through a list on Wikipedia... yeh I can't find a game->movie that was really good.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2012, 12:00.

-Fry, Futurama

4. Re: LucasArts FPS Plans? Jul 10, 2012, 11:41 kanniballl

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:27:
Dark Forces/Jedi Knight. It's time Lucasarts. You know it, I know it.

Alternatively I could settle for a Republic Commando 2.

Yeh, I'd go for any of those you mentioned.

Republic Commando gets some grief, but it was a fun game. It wasn't as cool as Jedi Knight 2 but it was still solid.

-Fry, Futurama

8. RIP Ernest B Jul 9, 2012, 15:40 kanniballl

Super Fuzz
I probably saw that movie more often than all of the Airwolf episodes combined (and then some). Dang I liked that movie as a kid.
Now I'm not saying they weren't counterfeit fish, but even if they were, there's no law against it. Or is there?

Also, it was weird seeing him in "Emperor of the North" It was probably the only time I saw him playing the villain.

-

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2012, 15:39 kanniballl

- Removed : double post -

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2012, 16:11.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2012, 12:02 kanniballl

Was the site down this morning? Or was it just slow-to-update?

I forget if Blue hosts his site in his home, or if it's hosted by a bigger place and he just remotes in.

-Fry, Futurama

9. Re: Omnicorp teaser Jul 9, 2012, 11:05 kanniballl

Dmitri_M wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 00:40:
That teaser commercial was bland. In comparison to the zany over the top Omnicorp commercials in the original films. I realise it ain't the early 90s anymore but I hope they keep things at least a little over the top. I'm not sure I'd buy that for a dollar.

Yeh, one of the things I liked about "Robocop" was the parody of the super-capitalistic stuff going on. As well as other things. Heck, even the short-lived TV series picked up on some of that: both with humor AND deep stuff.

It's also one of the things I liked about the film "Starship Troopers"

While I hope they stray away from camp and play it (mostly) straight, I'd hope they do the "over the top depiction" of OCP

-

-Fry, Futurama

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 16:04 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:54:
Pssssshhh... Coffee has absolutely no additive qualities, I drink 6 mugs a day, I can stop instantly and don't even feel different (I do it once every year for 6 weeks). I also have to laugh at people claiming coffee keeps you awake

I don't drink coffee... the only thing I might have semi-regularly is coffee-flavored ice cream.

However, after my first kidney stone I pretty much fasted Caffeine drinks entirely for WELL over 2 years. No sodas, no coffee, no chocolate, only vanilla ice cream (if that)

One day, after some 3AM support calls, I decided to have a couple of those mini cold Esspresso cans from Starbucks to keep me awake.

I went to the company doctor a little while later. My heart was beating fast enough that I was getting worried. I didn't know if it was the drink, stress at work, etc.

Since then I try to have a little bit every now and then so my body remains "used to it" Best I can figure, I was so de-sensitized to caffeine that 2 of those little buggers really had an effect on me.

Still though... no coffee, only a rare soda.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 15:54:
Even though I am German I absolutely hate the taste of beer.

Wow, isn't that grounds for deportation over there?

-

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 14:26 kanniballl

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 12:46:
Hence the only thing a thinking human can and should do, is reject alcohol

I really can't stand the stuff. I only have maybe 4 drinks a year.

The only time I ever really have one is when I'm at a party or something and am expected to hit the dance floor.

I HATE dancing, and I SUCK at it. But a shot of whisky loosens me up enough that I don't care as much.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 11:44 kanniballl

Misread the original post. Never mind

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2012, 11:50.

-Fry, Futurama

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2012, 09:12 kanniballl

That sucks Bats. Losing a friend is bad enough, losing him in (I'm guessing) your home is even worse.

For what it's worth, I'm sure he appreciated you guys helping him out. At least you made his hard times at the end a little easier.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Next Month
5. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Next Month Jul 5, 2012, 20:32 kanniballl

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 20:30:
The first game was awesome if not a bit linear and repetitive, but was spot on to Generation 1 Transformers and worthy of your time. This looks to be even better with more robust multiplayer options.

Plus Optimus standing all tiny in Metroplex's hand sold me.

I meant the one right after the first film, where you play Camero Bumblebee and the bosses were copy-paste nun-chuck-wielding Samurais.

I haven't played any of the G1 games yet.

-

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Next Month
3. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Next Month Jul 5, 2012, 20:25 kanniballl

OK, I have to say. That trailer looks totally PIMP

It's ALMOST enough for me to want to play it. I mean, damn... the bots look close-enough to their classic versions with a modern touch... as opposed to the major overhaul they got during the films.

I will wait until some reviews to pass judgement though. I got burned on the one after the first film.

-

-Fry, Futurama

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2012, 19:44 kanniballl

Cutter wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 18:40:
Yeah, with Seth's shows I've only really like Brian and Roger as characters. And they're the only reason I watch FG and AD.

For me it's Brian+Stewie, Quagmire, and Roger.

Brian is great, and Stewie is good. But it's great when it's just the two of them.

Roger is really the only good thing in AD, though his duos with Stan are usually decent.

-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2012, 12:04 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 11:42:
Good thing Blue doesn't live near where the fireworks were done in San Diego -- Hudson may have had a heart attack!

LOL! I'd be torn between being annoyed, and laughing my butt off.

• On one hand, that probably looked and sounded cool. And was pretty funny.

• On the other hand, it's kind of a PitA to get to some places for the best Fireworks watching. And THEN to leave. All the wile losing the whole real "feel" of fireworks...

• So all of that prep for one big BOOM and then leave at the same time as everyone else... in the heat... might have annoyed me.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 12:12.

-Fry, Futurama

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 5, 2012, 09:23 kanniballl

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 08:40:
    Wow.. that's a bit scary. I mean isn't using wire brushes to clean grills kind of commonplace?

Yeh. The news story made me think... as it is I don't know how much I would pay attention to the grill after doing a quick cleanup job... so what are the chances that a newbie cook at a restaurant would.

They've been used for years/decades/whatever though I'd never heard a story about it until last month. Perhaps this is a case of "they don't make them like they used to?"

After all, the news stations have ALWAYS loved shocking local news.

-

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 09:28.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 6.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo