Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roy Gillotti

Real Name Roy Gillotti   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Trashy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 16, 2003, 00:56
Total Comments 262 (Amateur)
User ID 17084

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale
17. Re: Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale Dec 12, 2012, 16:42 Trashy

jdreyer wrote on Dec 12, 2012, 16:32:
This was such an awesome game back in the day. Very much the anti-Quake with its bright colors and raunchy humor. Is it still playable after playing stuff like Crysis and BF3? I tried playing Dune II the other day, and it just felt so clunky. I'd much rather be playing SupCom.

I play it still here and there with eDuke32 to me it's still fun.. Although I thought Crysis was real boring so I'm not sure if my opinion matters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 4, 2012, 13:38 Trashy

Hail Skroob!  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 15, 2012, 09:56 Trashy

Cram wrote on Oct 15, 2012, 02:06:
I never really "got" Halo. I played Halo 1 on the the PC years ago and was so SO offended by it I never bothered with the others. Never mind that though, the point I want to make is that I read the spoilers. I read them because among the many I work with that are gamers, a few are very good friends of mine that are Halo fiends. Zealots even.

I never said that I was a good friend or a good person. Blackmail is gloriously fun sometimes. One of them deserves it, and I quote: "Unreal Tournament 2004? That had multi-player?" He's young....

Not sure what there was to "get" with Halo, it was a hugely popular FPS shooter for the original Xbox. There wasn't many good FPS games on console at the time so this got a lot of attention. By the time it made it to PC it was kind of underwhelming compared to other PC titles.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Relationship between Caffeine and Glaucoma. Oct 5, 2012, 19:24 Trashy

They can take my coffee over my dead cloudy eyes..  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 27, 2012, 09:46 Trashy

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 18:46:
When Firefox 88 comes out your going to see some serious shit.

At the current rate of version iterations, Firefox 88 should be sometime next year.

News Comments > Star Wars: the Old Republic Patched
8. Re: Star Wars: the Old Republic Patched Sep 27, 2012, 08:29 Trashy

It's not a bad single player game.  

News Comments > Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming
11. Re: Diablo III 1.0.5 Notes; PTR Coming Sep 21, 2012, 12:51 Trashy

I think people are a bit too emotional about it, sure it's had it's issue, but for a one shot purchase of a game I thought it was worth it.. It's not an MMO and it can be picked up anytime and it's not charging you money every month..

Personally right now I'm in a Borderlands 2 mood.. I bought Torchlight 2, but don't think I'll play it anytime soon. Sometime in the future if I feel like playing Diablo III I will.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 18, 2012, 15:54 Trashy

I'm an Engineer, I do a ton of Spreadsheet work every day.. I Haven't use Windows at work for 7 years, Linux been my only OS of choice. If I'm stuck on a Windows box I just feel neutered.

I switched over to LibreOffice recently, but honestly for my applications I haven't noticed too many improvements over regular OpenOffice..

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 13, 2012, 20:16 Trashy

I started here as well, which led to Operation 3DFX, which then lead to Voodoo Extreme.. Now there is only the first.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 21:59 Trashy

The Ouya project annoys me a bit, they claim it as some open console but it uses a locked down version of Android and it won't have access to the google play store. The Hardware boils down to be just a modified Tegra III development board in a case with a bluetooth controller.

Sure the price they claim is nice.. but something tells me I could just buy a Tegra III or other equivalent speed ARM development board for slightly cheaper, load cyanogenmod version of Android, use one of my existing bluetooth controllers like the PS3 controller or the Wiimote and have something just as cheap and not forced to use their appstore which these guys get some cut in the apps that are sold.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 22:07.

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
58. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 20:07 Trashy

Agrajag wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 19:45:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:45:
GUIs have their uses, I don't dispute that.

Yes, mainly for running a bunch of simultaneous xterms... ;-)

This!

56. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 20:01 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 19:27:

I'm sorry but if you're suggesting that a CLI is a better way to manage files than a GUI then we fundamentally disagree. And you'll find few who will agree with you.

Yes I am suggesting CLI is better and I guess we disagree.. It takes me less time to type out what I need than it does to flail around with a mouse and navigate menus.

50. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 18:48 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:27:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:33:
You seem to be making the argument that user-friendliness is superior to utility. A simple tool, while easier to learn, has fewer uses than a complex tool. The reality is that while GUI's are easier to learn, they are by definition less useful. Rather than telling the computer what to do, the computer presents you with options and you pick among them.
You speak as if CLIs are inherently faster and most efficient for everything. If I want to copy files from one folder to another it is much quicker to do so via Explorer than CLI, especially if the folders are several levels deep and have long file names. You also get graphical previews, meta information and selection tools (like inverse select) to speed things up. For most of the tasks an average user carries out (copying, transfers, app launching) it is much quicker to use a GUI than a CLI. So if it's more user friendly and more efficient then surely that's a win-win?

Not necessarily true, for example if you only need to copy specific file names or a specific type.

say you have 300 files of varying file types in a folder, you only need to copy the PDF files that start with bill_

you can copy them to a folder with this quick command
cp bill_*pdf /home/username/blah/

or you can spend 2 to 5 minutes arranging your file explorer to show what you want to see and then ctrl or shift click your way to select all the files you want.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 18:59.

42. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 17:57 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 16:55:
Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 16:32:
First off I'm a programmer a real programmer not some Web design major, I mostly deal with creating test programs for equipment that test ASIC/Custom Logic Semiconductors. I don't need to use anything Adobe even if I did there are plenty of Open Source solutions that will fit my needs. If I need to make a quick change to an image the Gimp works just fine. Libre Office does everything I need for my general office work and I do some heavy spreadsheet work.
Sorry, that was a mistake/typo. I meant office productivity like Google Docs, which can be done from the browser. I wouldn't imagine web-based programming tools are all that great.

Due to the sensitivity of my work I can't use google docs nor any other cloud based storage site that would put any kind of work specific data outside of the corporate firewall, It's in my company's corporate policy. Even if I could, I wouldn't trust google with handling any of my work.

37. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 16:32 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:40:
Trashy wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:27:
Also Linux for me is more of a office work and programming platform which if you need to get shit done you do it in Linux.

It doesn't support most productivity applications - from Adobe's Creative Suite to DAW software like Cubase or Protools. It supports office apps and programming but those are achievable via web browsers anyway and the Windows alternatives - like Office - are better than the Linux offerings.

First off I'm a programmer a real programmer not some Web design major, I mostly deal with creating test programs for equipment that test ASIC/Custom Logic Semiconductors. I don't need to use anything Adobe even if I did there are plenty of Open Source solutions that will fit my needs. If I need to make a quick change to an image the Gimp works just fine. Libre Office does everything I need for my general office work and I do some heavy spreadsheet work.

You don't know my work environment I live in a Unix/Linux world.

21. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 08:27 Trashy

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:07:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 03:01:
With all that in mind, it makes sense that serious computer users who also happen to be gamers would love to finally be free of Windows once and for all. It's not about fighting the power -- although maybe it is for some people -- it's about not being stuck with an inferior OS simply because you like to play games.
Linux looks like ass, is more difficult to use, barely supports games, has limited application support, has poor driver support, has a poor user experience, etc. To claim that it is superior to Windows is laughable. That's not to say it doesn't have many merits but if you want to do anything practical with your computer then that pretty much rules out Linux.

That said, I support any attempt to improve the gaming situation on Linux (and on Macs) and am glad that Valve is leading the way. Improving game support would diminish one of the main advantages that Windows currently has and can only help improve competition in the OS market.

First off, Linux is just the OS kernel.. it doesn't look like anything it just boots up the Operating system whether it's a GNU/FOSS distribution or Android.. It can look like anything you want there are plenty of nice looking Windows managers. It is superior to Windows in usability and functionality.. Ubuntu has made good strides of opening things up for the general user. It's different, but not necessarily hard to use. Also Linux for me is more of a office work and programming platform which if you need to get shit done you do it in Linux.. Honestly I don't really care if Linux becomes mainstream, I'll still use it as my Primary operating system like I have for the past 12 years.

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 2012, 08:36.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 Trashy

This Meme answers that whole Star Trek Vs Star Wars debate..

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 11:11 Trashy

How Amazonís Same-Day Delivery Plan Will Kill Your Local Stores.

Well I live about an hour away in every direction from any chain store.. Amazon is more convenient and cheaper if you consider the cost of gas to travel back and forth and state/town sales tax. Well for me it is.

On that note if any local store would happen to move into my little neighborhood I would prob support them.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers
28. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Character Transfers Jun 13, 2012, 10:01 Trashy

Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 23:22:
Well it kind of makes sense, why would you want to transfer if you aren't going to play anyway?

I'm hopeful that if they finally add a grouping tool that the game might have a lot more content to play through. So I'd like my character on a server where I could use the tool. I'm not going to pay for a monthly sub then pay them to put me on a server that isn't empty. Either do it free before I resub or you can forget about me coming back.

I guess your never going to play again.. your logic prevents it. They're only going to allow this tool to be used with paying customers.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 4, 2012, 17:44 Trashy

It's also missing IBM who sold their Hard-Drive division to Hitachi.  

262 Comments. 14 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo