Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Boston

Real Name Boston   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2003, 04:38
Total Comments 141 (Novice)
User ID 17051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > New Plain Sight Beta
2. Re: New Plain Sight Beta Jan 24, 2009, 21:32 Boston

I don't think this is a MMORPG.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Retail PoP DRM-Free
56. Re: Retail PoP DRM-Free Dec 12, 2008, 01:39 Boston

I have no intention of playing this game, but dammit, I'm voting with my dollar and buying a copy tomorrow. It might make a nice holiday gift to my brother-in-law who's never played a PoP game before.  

News Comments > Newell: Most DRM "Dumb"
21. Re: Newell: Most DRM Dec 2, 2008, 23:42 Boston

Steam did put up the "5-time installation limit" warning on Bioshock store page, but it was about 2 weeks after the release.  

News Comments > On GTA IV PC DRM
134. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 29, 2008, 14:43 Boston

Nobody here is arguing whether piracy is right or wrong. I think we can all agree that piracy is wrong. The discussion here is whether the use of restrictive DRM is justified, when it clearly does nothing to stop piracy.  

104. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 29, 2008, 00:53 Boston

Iron Lore tried that "modified experience" thing with Titan Quest, and they claimed that it actually hurt sales because pirates spread the word that the game is buggy, scaring the legitimate customers away. I don't know if it actually hurt sales, or it's just the developers looking for excuses for less-than-stellar sales.  

93. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 23:56 Boston

It's a mistake to think that companies will remove online activations or install limits before they go under.

Earlier this year, when people who bought Mass Effect started discovering about its 3-installation limits, there was a big uproar in pc gaming forums. I had a watercooler discussion with a co-worker around that time and we agreed that the smartest thing 2K games can do now is to remove SecuROM from Bioshock: ride the DRM wave that EA generated and regain faith in their customers. Sure enough, within the same week, 2K Games removed 5-installation limits (not SecuROM itself, sadly).

Anyway, the point is that companies do not do anything unless there's some financial incentive. I worked for many many companies/corporations to know that nothing, absolutely NOTHING, gets done unless there's a budget approved for it. If a company is in financial trouble and is about to go under, the last thing on its agenda is to approve a support budget for a project that won't bring more money in. It's just naive thinking if you believe that some altruistic hero employee can remove DRM or release unprotected binaries on his own time, because not only would that be severely illegal and against his contract, he would be blacklisted from the industry forever.

84. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 22:34 Boston

Bioshock is a terrible example that DRM works. First of all, it was the first of its kind to use the newest revision of SecuROM, so crackers had no idea how to crack initially. The same cannot be said of SecuROM 7 protected games that were released afterwards. They all are cracked immediately (or in Spore's case, 5 days before the actual release)
Secondly, something like 85% of Bioshock's sales came from console. The makeup of other popular simultaneous multiplatform releases aren't that different, so it's doubtful that its DRM actually did anything to help the sales. The pirates most likely downloaded the uncracked copy of Bioshock and waited patiently until the crack was available.

45. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 19:50 Boston

Also, the "DRM hurts sales" mantra is bullshit, as World of Goo proved.

But if World of Goo had DRM, would it have had better sales? Very unlikely.
Plus, as an indie game developer, the single BIGGEST problem we face is exposure, not piracy.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch
2. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire Patch Nov 19, 2008, 16:34 Boston

That's awesome! I haven't played since 1.03 or 1.04, so it will be like a whole new game.  

News Comments > Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a "Huge Concern"
59. Re: Red Alert 3 Dev: PC Piracy a "Huge Concern" Nov 5, 2008, 19:47 Boston

I'll buy RA3 if they remove SecuROM  

News Comments > CD Projekt on DRM
34. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 00:01 Boston

you got to be kidding me. I JUST missed it???!!!

yeah I missed it. Let this be a lesson for you all people: if you see a free sandwich, take it! don't wait around and say to yourself "oh I'll just get it next week"
This comment was edited on Sep 23, 00:09.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: DRM Sep 22, 2008, 23:15 Boston

Digital books, digital music, digital games, digital movies... none owned by individuals. the future sure is grim. On the upside, it would free up my bookshelves for real books.

News Comments > CD Projekt on DRM
27. Re: GOG is Great Sep 22, 2008, 17:38 Boston

I agree. they have to start thinking "what can we offer our customers that the pirates can't deliver" It may be a box full of useless crap like t-shirt and soundtrack or preferably something better, but they have to start thinking about it the other way.

News Comments > Crysis Warhead DRM FAQ
9. disappointing Sep 18, 2008, 19:44 Boston

the FAQ thread at crymod.com is just ridiculous. Who the hell are those people and why do they so willingly accept this form of DRM? Don't they realize that they're making PC gaming worse for all of us?

News Comments > Rumor: Valve & Google?
34. Re: Google... Sep 18, 2008, 13:01 Boston

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 20:07.

20. Re: cool Sep 17, 2008, 18:16 Boston

I guess you don't use steam. IE7 + steam is a baaaad combination man

18. cool Sep 17, 2008, 17:40 Boston

If this means that Steam will stop using damn IE and use Google's Chrome instead, I'd be happy

News Comments > Spore - One Account Per Household
37. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 16:33 Boston

Entr0py24:
In case of toys or consoles, you can share them without their functionality being limited due to the act sharing. You can always argue that "oh it's not so bad, look at X or Y..." but you have you see this in context of video games. The amount of limitations that this game imposes on users is unprecedented compared to every video games that came before.

News Comments > Spore - One Account Per Household
30. Re: Why is this a big deal? Sep 12, 2008, 14:48 Boston

That's all fine and well if you're the only player in your household. Think about the consequences if you have 2 or more kids who want to play the game. Do you really think they'll be happy sharing the same account, having same user name associated with all their creations? Would you really buy Spore for each child?
This is just stupidly evil on EA's part.
Plus like others pointed out, it's not really a multiplayer game where you play other players at the same time, so there's no reason to not to allow more accounts per purchase. (except greed that is)

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 14:53.

News Comments > The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Next Week
12. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2008, 17:22 Boston

Ah it's not a store page I saw it on. It's the forum post
http://forums.impulsedriven.com/323317

it says "The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be available through Impulse on September 15th to coincide with the retail relaunch. The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is being made available with ABSOLUTELY NO DRM OF ANY KIND. No wrappers, no CD checks, nothing."

141 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo