Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Boston

Real Name Boston   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2003, 04:38
Total Comments 142 (Novice)
User ID 17051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > PC Conviction Delay Explained
14. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 17:47 Boston

I think it's because they don't want negative reviews of PC version affecting sales of the console version. Settlers 7, SH5, ACII, all have ~1 star rating at amazon.com. Average joe might see the poor rating and shy away from getting any version.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ubisoft's DRM Failure
30. Re: Ubisoft's DRM Failure Mar 8, 2010, 12:20 Boston

2:30pm to 9pm. They're spinning it to make it less of a deal than it is. It was offline for more than 10 hours, not 6.5 hours. They're probably lying about 95% unaffected too.  

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked
34. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 14:47 Boston

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2010, 14:11:
That's just scale though, not really a great argument. The 360 has the largest base of potential consumers for the "hardcore" AAA games so it's just natural it would also have the most pirates of those game demographics. Plus just the virtue of having to touch hardware to mod your 360 means a lot of people will never do so unfortunately, its part of the reason that publishers are getting away with murder in the console world. Piracy is almost a form of leverage these days.

Ah, but you see, my dad can beat up your dad.

30. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 14:02 Boston

also worth noting that in current console generation, the most pirated platform (xbox360) makes most money from game sales. Same with previous generation (playstation2), and the same with the generation before (playstation).
Not saying that piracy leads to success, but clearly it's not end of the world

21. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 12:05 Boston

I guess I got my information from this post from long ago:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=42663

It's not Iron Lore like I remembered, it was Michael Fitch from THQ. And I was definitely inferring some false information from the post, because it doesn't actually claim that buggy pirated version drove the legitimate buyers away - it only speculates "what if." (4th paragraph)
But whatever. "What if" this buggy SH5 does nothing but harm to Ubisoft?

16. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 11:18 Boston

If cracked version is indeed buggy, it's not a very wise business decision on Ubisoft's part. It's inconvenient to people who actually bought the game and cracked it just so they can enjoy the game to the fullest. I doubt pirates will go out buy the game they perceive as buggy.

Didn't Iron Lore claim that intentionally buggy pirated version of Titan Quest is what led to its poor sales and ultimately closing of the studio? The word of mouth was that the game was full of bugs and it kept the legitimate buyers away.

13. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Not Cracked Mar 4, 2010, 10:59 Boston

From what I understand cracked SH5 doesn't let you get achievements through Uplay, and that's Ubisoft's definition of "not complete." There could be more hidden surprises, I suppose.  

News Comments > Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
27. Re: Gold - Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising Feb 22, 2010, 22:02 Boston

In case anybody's unaware, DoW2 has irrevocable 15 installation limits. Chances are DoW2:CR's activations are tied to your DoW2's (they're tight-lipped about their DRM). Please make informed decisions!  

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders
21. Re: Silent Hunter 5 and Gold Edition Preorders Feb 22, 2010, 17:39 Boston

Too many big publishers I refuse to buy games from. Ubisoft with this online bullshit, 2K's GFWL 15-install limits (that they don't tell you about and not resettable; sneaky), EA with its Ubisoft-like DRM for future PC titles, and Activision... well I hate their guts.

THQ, we will see, but Dawn of War 2 has 10 (or 15) install limits and not resettable. I have no idea what their future plans are.

News Comments > Ubisoft DRM Interview
36. Re: Ubisoft DRM Interview Feb 21, 2010, 21:35 Boston

The "single point of failure" flaw of Steam is a side effect of its massive positive aspect, so it's easy to justify the risk. Plus Valve didn't design their services with the mindset "how can we make this as inconvenient as possible for paying customers" - which seems to be the case with most DRMs.  

News Comments > No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers
2. Re: No C&C4 LAN or Dedicated Servers Feb 21, 2010, 12:16 Boston

wait, are they actually saying that single player needs internet connection too?  

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
44. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 20:54 Boston

Let's see... if I was commanding an army of spearmen against AH64s, I would draw some, or all, helicopters away from their base during middle of night, using half of my army as diversion, then use the other half to sneak into the base and sabotage the fuel supply and maybe pick off a few of napping pilots.  

News Comments > Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
15. Re: Civilization IV: The Complete Edition May 5, 2009, 14:58 Boston

I'll get this collection when I feel suicidal and want to die of exhaustion from a 80-hour marathon gaming session.  

News Comments > No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins
34. Re: No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins May 5, 2009, 09:47 Boston

Great news. Now I know I'll be buying it.  

News Comments > Six Days in Fallujah Dropped
29. Re: Six Days in Fallujah Dropped Apr 27, 2009, 14:45 Boston

The game itself isn't what's controversial. It's the way they chose to market it. The PR crowd has been hyping this game up as authentic and realistic portrayal of a real event at Iraq, even hiring real veterans to come up on stage and talk about the game,
but the game itself is just a typical shooter and there's absolutely nothing "real" about it. The PR people are doing a disservice to veterans everywhere by claiming this is what it's like to be in Iraq

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month
23. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Mon Apr 20, 2009, 18:10 Boston

I would've been a happy customer if it weren't for the activation limits. No sale.  

News Comments > On Riddick DRM
35. Re: On Riddick DRM Apr 16, 2009, 13:18 Boston

Bioshock on Steam still has securom. it's automatically activated behind the scenes so you don't notice it.
2k only removed activation limits when there was a big public outcry regarding Mass Effect and Spore DRM so that they may gain a bit of positive publicity. The timing was very convenient for them

News Comments > PCGA: Activision Out, SecuROM In
18. Re: PCGA: Activision Out, SecuROM In Apr 14, 2009, 02:12 Boston

I agree with PHJF. Vivendi has the final say in what Blizzard does and doesn't. Now Valve, they can do whatever the hell they damn well please. Not every decision has to be measured against the bottom line so they can afford financially dubious decisions like Steam/Steamworks/Steamcloud. So in a way, companies like Valve wield more power to shape PC gaming industry than Blizzard ever could.  

News Comments > ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs
1. Re: ECA on DRM Disclosure & EULAs Mar 31, 2009, 14:19 Boston

I fully support their proposal.
Hell, what gamer wouldn't.

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Goo
21. Re: Stardock's DRM Goo Mar 25, 2009, 16:51 Boston

I've enjoyed reading these comments. You guys have kept the arguements mature and on topic. Everyone is bringing up great perspectives and addressing the others' well. Kudos for a good discussion.

Yeah, apart from GT throwing incendiary comments and personal insults, it's great.

142 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo