Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Boston

Real Name Boston   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 14, 2003, 04:38
Total Comments 141 (Novice)
User ID 17051

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews May 10, 2012, 18:07 Boston

Wow, about the same speed as hd7970 at nearly $100 cheaper? Bad news for AMD. I expect another price cut announcement in the very near future.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation May 8, 2012, 10:47 Boston

nin wrote on May 8, 2012, 10:07:
It's aimed at a market that can't/won't pay the $400+ up front.

It's more like $280 up front. Kinect bundles come with 1 or 3 month free membership so they could pay for the additional subscription as they expire.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 25, 2012, 12:08 Boston

http://imgur.com/wyltf

Yeah, I guess it's kind of ugly that there are 2 of the same favicon in such close proximity with each other.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Apr 10, 2012, 10:53 Boston

6/8: Buy it if you like the genre (C+)
5/8: Buy it if you really like the genre (C-)

That's interesting. Am I likely to ignore faults of the game if I'm a hardcore fan of a particular genre? I'm trying to think of an example where that applies to me - I really like flight sim games, but I don't think I could tolerate mediocre sims like the new MS Flight, no matter how starved I am for fresh content in the genre. I don't know - maybe that's just me.

News Comments > Fallout Free on GOG.com
10. Re: Fallout Free on GOG.com<br> The original <b>Fallout</b> is being offered on <a href= Apr 5, 2012, 22:47 Boston

Overon wrote on Apr 5, 2012, 20:39:
Point of fact. GOG is the number 1 place for DRM-free games because I'm pretty sure that it's the only palce fore DRM-free games. If you run a race and there is no one else who is competing against you, you are always the winner.

To be fair, a bulk of Direct2Drive catalog used to be DRM-free. Not just old games either. Although, now that Gamefly owns them it may no longer be the case.

News Comments > SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected
9. Re: SimCity Online Requirement Clarified/Corrected Mar 29, 2012, 10:27 Boston

InBlack wrote on Mar 29, 2012, 10:18:
Basically what we have here is a modern day equivalent of the CD-CHECK of the late 90's. Remember that guys?

You installed the game, and every time you started it your CDROM would spin up (usually producing some kind of weird high pitched sound) to check whether the original CD was in it. Even though all the assets were installed in the game folder and there really was no need to access the CD.

I didn't mind CD checks or CD keys that much. At least I didn't have to get permission from the publisher every time I launch the game, and the sense of ownership was still there since I could always play the game as long as I kept the CD and the key somewhere safe.

News Comments > BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback
40. Re: BioWare "Considering" Mass Effect 3 Ending Feedback Mar 19, 2012, 13:17 Boston

Maybe they could kickstart a new ending. In fact, they should have a range of very bad to very good endings depending on donation levels. Seems like the EA thing to do.  

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June
11. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Expansion in June Feb 27, 2012, 18:04 Boston

I don't find nickel-n-diming in LOTRO too offensive. I got good number of hours of enjoyment out of it and didn't pay a dime. If you have an alt, you accumulate enough Turbine points to be able to buy the quest packs and other perks you need without much grinding.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Nov 29, 2011, 12:23 Boston

AnandTech link for Momentus XT isn't really a review... it's a post saying 'look forward to our upcoming review!'  

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
84. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 12:34 Boston

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 12:08:
Thanks for the informative post! It would be interesting if there was a program that was able to run alongside skyrim (or other programs) to see how memory is being addressed and if such incongruities exist.

You're welcome! There's this thing:
http://blog.hashpling.org/address-space-monitor/
But I never used it myself and have no idea if it even works with Skyrim.

If it does indeed work, the things to look out for are: large contiguous free addresses (good), or lots of tiny allocations all over the place so that there's no large contiguous free address (bad).

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works
82. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Fix No Longer Works Nov 22, 2011, 11:58 Boston

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 22, 2011, 08:27:
I see a lot of people complaining about the game breaking LAA support but a lot of the criticism seems to be aimed at the 2GB restriction of 32bit processes, when in fact Skyrim typically uses about 1GB of RAM - no doubt due to the optimisations made for consoles. If LAA reduces the number of crashes then it isn't because the game is coming across the RAM ceiling.

A common misconception regarding moving to 64bit (or anything beyond 32bit memory addressing schemes) is that programs have more memory to play around with. While that's true, the biggest and most immediate benefit a programmer gains, even with less than 4GB, 2GB or much smaller amount of system memory, is large addressing space that virtually eliminates the problem of virtual address fragmentation that could prevent the program from allocating new memory (and subsequently crashing if not handled properly).

If Skyrim only uses 1GB memory but prone to crash that could be solved with large addresses, then it might be running into fragmentation issue.

News Comments > More on DOOM 3 Source Release
7. Re: More on DOOM 3 Source Release Nov 16, 2011, 14:45 Boston

Yeah patenting algorithms is fucking stupid. Any programmer could've come up with this method independently. When I was doing stencil shadows I got sick of nearclipping and capping shadow volumes and one day thought "heeeey.... wait a sec. why can't I precompute volume for decayed light source anyway?"
Which led me to google search and discover that carmack (and creative) had elegant working solution of the same idea.

If a mediocre programmer like me can think of it, anyone can.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week
21. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week Oct 25, 2011, 12:38 Boston

Saints Row games are simply better games. Reviews tend to rate GTA games higher because they go ga ga over superior presentation and all-star cast, but they are simply not as well designed as Saints Row games.  

News Comments > Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass
21. Re: Free Diablo III with World of Warcraft Annual Pass Oct 21, 2011, 23:18 Boston

I don't have WoW and its expansions, so that's additional $80... $236 if I want to take advantage of this offer right now. Wow, no thanks.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 30, 2011, 13:16 Boston

Android is still 100% open. They removed those apps from google's market, but that still doesn't stop users from getting it from someplace else and running it (no need to jailbreak like ios). That's the whole point of an open platform - you get to decide what to run, not some outlet.

If you want an analogy, Games For Windows Marketplace doesn't carry Starcraft, but Windows doesn't stop you from buying it from blizzard store and running it. Because Windows is open.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 9, 2011, 09:55 Boston

Golwar wrote on May 8, 2011, 20:12:
And SCEA always has better offers than SCEE, why should it be different this time?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Europe get 10 free games with PSP Go vs North America's 3?

70. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 27, 2011, 19:41 Boston

That's pretty wild. A "theory" doesn't always have to mean a scientific theory supported evidence, you know. You remind me of a co-worker who always treat everyday conjunctions as boolean algebra.  

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 27, 2011, 14:18 Boston

Krovven wrote on Apr 27, 2011, 14:03:
I'll keep repeating...nothing is 100% secure. This has been demonstrated time and time again. Unless it's proven that Sony is negligent here, I'm going to remain neutral.

not sandboxing dev network, misimplementation of ECC algorithm, sending personal info unencrypted (even if it's secure channel), storing account information in plaintext form (supposedly using encryption scheme that's already cracked), etc...
Reasons enough for me to blame Sony as the negligent party here.

News Comments > Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve"
33. Re: Ubisoft: DRM Will "Evolve" Apr 10, 2010, 19:35 Boston

"I never experienced the problem, so the problem must not exist," the classic argument that can be applied to just about everything and just as invalid.  

News Comments > PC Conviction Delay Explained
14. Re: PC Conviction Delay Explained Apr 1, 2010, 17:47 Boston

I think it's because they don't want negative reviews of PC version affecting sales of the console version. Settlers 7, SH5, ACII, all have ~1 star rating at amazon.com. Average joe might see the poor rating and shy away from getting any version.  

141 Comments. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo