Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Kobalt

Real Name Kobalt   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kobalt
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 8, 2003, 02:24
Total Comments 576 (Apprentice)
User ID 16975

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Jaffe & More Out at Eat Sleep Play
4. Re: Jaffe & More Out at Eat Sleep Play Feb 7, 2012, 16:29 Kobalt

Mother fuck, for the second time the TM creator gets to make another game in the series, and immediately leaves the series behind. Even if the game is a hit will it be another 10 years from the next one? =/  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Secret World Trailer
5. Re: The Secret World Trailer Jan 26, 2012, 14:55 Kobalt

If this is anything like past funcom titles, it wll be a buggy mess at release. Maybe a year or two later it will be playable enough to enjoy the unique things about it, too bad most would have quit by then.  

News Comments > Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake
7. Re: Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake Jan 20, 2012, 15:10 Kobalt

Beamer wrote on Jan 20, 2012, 14:38:

But people will still call it dumbed down.

And people with intelligence can laugh at their stupidity.

News Comments > Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake
3. Re: Julian Gollop on XCOM Remake Jan 20, 2012, 11:47 Kobalt

I think dumbing down is the new hitler. Every game at least once is accused of doing it, no matter how ridiculous.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched
4. Re: Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Patched Dec 16, 2011, 06:16 Kobalt

Feels very tribes, much more so then vengeance. First time I saw shazbot spam and got some disc kills the nostalgia trip was overwhelming.

There's some problems though, mostly due to it's f2p mico transaction nature. At the start it's basically the choice between medium armor with a rifle, or spinfusor. This means early on it doesn't feel like a class based game at all. Like vengeance inventory stations only serve to let you quick change between classes, cant even customize weapons in this one. Destroying the generator does have a impact though because it disables turret. And turrets in this are rape. Don't be surprised to be flying around near the enemey base and get oneshotted from a turret nowhere near you. Reminds me of all those crazy tribes 1 mods.

Maybe when you get high lvl and only play with people that paid for the massively overpriced classes(took me about 30ish games to unlock the cheapest class..next class costs twice as much) it will feel like a good balance of weapons and armor.

Another annoying thing, You can't just spawn vehicles for free, or even wait for them to auto spawn. Rather the points you get from things from kills and getting the flag back is used to purchase vehicles. Feels kind of dumb that vehicles feel more like a mw killstreak rather then a tactical part of the game.

Also not liking the maps too much. They are a pretty small compared to tribes 1 and 2. Once you get decent with skiing you can go from your base to their flag(which is always out in the open, another nitpick) and back in about a minute and a half.

All these complaints aside I am having a lot of fun. I bought bf3 not long before I got in the beta, and I kept finding myself wanting to play tribes when I was playing bf with friends. It's still early in beta I think and they keep making good changes so I have a lot of hope for the game.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 03:37 Kobalt

eunichron wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 01:59:

GW1 wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad either.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I probably would have played the game a lot longer if I didn't feel I needed to buy the expansions. And I didn't feel like buying them.

Also most fun I had was in beta when everything was unlocked and I could just make crazy builds all day. Having to unlock stuff for pvp really killed the fun for me.

I kept trying to get friends to play the game but they all got bored within a few weeks. These same people are getting hyped for part two, confuses me.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 00:18 Kobalt

Cutter wrote on Dec 9, 2011, 23:30:
Whatever, will see everyone in GW2 in 3 or 6 months or whenever it launches.

I'm going to laugh when gw2 comes out and everyone is disappointed. Seems like everyone forgot guild wars 1 wasn't amazing. And the fact that they are promising the world like every failed mmo should raise a red flag.

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Premium Editions Detailed
4. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Premium Editions Detailed Dec 10, 2011, 00:16 Kobalt

I could have sworn I saw a developer compare the combat to god of war. How exactly is the game hobbled by being on the consoles? It is clearly a console style action game that's getting a pc port.  

News Comments > DC Universe Online Updated
2. Re: DC Universe Online Updated Nov 16, 2011, 04:29 Kobalt

8 man raids..we used to call those a normal group.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Nov 15, 2011, 17:18 Kobalt

Still confused why people were surprised rage sucked. Doom 3 and even Quake 3 in a way showed that id was living in the past and probably should just make engines to license out. Well they probably can still make a good competitive online fps so I'm confused why their last two games were single player which they are weak at. Even more confusing is they went almost an entire console generation without a engine to license out, letting epic get all the money.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week
20. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Next Week Oct 25, 2011, 12:36 Kobalt

Was hoping for san andreas 2  

News Comments > Blizzard DOTA Details
5. Re: Blizzard DOTA Details Oct 23, 2011, 16:39 Kobalt

Blizzard seems really butthurt valve is the one that made dota 2 first.  

News Comments > WoW Real Money Trading
16. Re: WoW Real Money Trading Oct 12, 2011, 00:44 Kobalt

Fion wrote on Oct 11, 2011, 18:03:
Don't get me started in Binding. I've been fighting against it since the idea was introduced in EQ and became mainstream with WoW.

If you have a better idea let's hear it. No binding is ok in games where items didn't matter that much(asheron's call). Or games where there's little to no crafting(everquest). It's funny, everquest 2 and wow got released pretty close together, and eq2 had very little gear that bound to you. They had to change it because people would buy crafted gear, and when they got better, put their old armor on the ah. Of course this led to crafted stuff going for less then it cost to make. Pretty big deal in a game that put a lot of focus on crafting.

News Comments > RAGE Interview
46. Re: RAGE Interview Oct 5, 2011, 09:08 Kobalt

Not sure why people were expecting the next big thing with this honestly. id really has not made a innovative game since quake 1. Even back in the day the single player of quake 2 was bad. The only thing that they changed besides graphics from quake 1 was the railgun.

I remember the beta for quake 3(id were early pioneers of just calling demos beta) was seen as good for the time when it first came out. However even then I questioned if it was worth the money with no single player and only deathmatch(carmack all but said ctf would be a post release patch). Then the unreal tournament demo came out, and I kind of have looked at id critically ever since.

Comparing UT to Q3 and I got the feeling id just didn't give a shit about making a fun, new experience and just wanted to release a glorified tech demo for their new engine. But at least I respected Q3 for being a good competitive game. When Doom 3 was announced I couldn't believe id would spend all their time doing something they are terrible at, singleplayer. I remember being called a troll a lot on these forums for implying doom 3 would either suck or nothing special. And now we have id releasing another singleplayer focused shooter.

Rage is actually a lot better then I thought it would be..but that's not saying much. It's ok but like doom 3 if you are looking for anything new look elsewhere, you played this game many many times before.

Boggles the mind id doesn't make a new competitive multiplayer shooter. Really has not been a new one in a long time(not counting the halo and mw tourneys that exist because they are popular, not because they are hardcore friendly). I mean jfc been what, 10 years since quake 3, and how many still go to quakecon? Like pissing money away. If street fighter 4, league of legends and starcraft 2 can be big hits don't see why there can't be a good hardcore fps.

News Comments > Valve to Release Dota 2 "As Fast As We Can"
16. Re: Valve to Release Dota 2 Sep 23, 2011, 18:01 Kobalt

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:36:
They were proposing to keep DOTA2 private and release a more refined product with more content but decided against that, which I think is a sensible move. It's easier to keep players hooked that keep them waiting, especially with Diablo III right around the corner.

Problem with that is,dota 2 is just dota 1 with better graphics.They said they wanted people to move from dota 1, how is that going to happen when they don't even have all the heroes? I think this will hurt them on the esports side.

InBlack wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 10:49:
Ive never played DOTA before I admit, except at its very humble beginnigs in Warcraft3.

Will I like this game?

Hard to say, there really isn't a game like it. I will say however, if you don't have a lot of patience for losing a lot, stay away. It has one of the largest learning curves I have ever seen, and is extremely team based. One person can very easily ruin the game for your team, a big deal with games lasting 40+ minutes.

News Comments > What's Next for Frictional?
7. Re: RE: Follow up Sep 10, 2011, 01:17 Kobalt

I'm sorry but if some indie developers complaining is proof that pc gaming will be topdog, we have 2 completely definitions of "top". If someone like ea says they are done with consoles you will have a point though.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Sep 2, 2011, 02:28 Kobalt

No hes right, home was a terrible idea.  

News Comments > Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles
11. Re: Portal 2 PC Outsells Consoles Aug 30, 2011, 16:35 Kobalt

Not surprising, portal 2 got zero buzz for consoles(was a little confused why gabe at the e3 conference was considered a big deal, also no one I knew knew who he was). l4d though obviously is a zombie shooter.  

News Comments > Mari0: Mario/Portal Mash-up No Joke
5. Re: Mari0: Mario/Portal Mash-up No Joke Aug 30, 2011, 16:33 Kobalt

If they were smart they wouldnt have shown anything at all until they were ready for release.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday
21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Beta Adding Testers Friday Aug 29, 2011, 16:38 Kobalt

I like how all these people are saying the combat doesn't "look like starwars" and how they liked kotor. The combat is exactly the fucking same cept no pausing, kotor pretty much played like a mmo, like most pc rpgs. Any excuse to be negative I guess.  

576 Comments. 29 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo