Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Werner Spahl

Real Name Werner Spahl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wesp5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2003, 10:38
Total Comments 117 (Novice)
User ID 16932

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

News Comments > DARK Trailer
6. Re: DARK Trailer May 16, 2013, 05:04 Wesp5

Have the developers made a deal with White Wolf? Because they use typical World of Darkness powers and names and just recently White Wolf closed down a kickstarter because of exactly this...  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
14. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 13, 2013, 16:14 Wesp5

NKD wrote on Apr 13, 2013, 14:28:
You can self-publish on Steam...............

...but then Steam itself is nothing more than a DRM managment system disguising as a Online Distribution Service.

News Comments > Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated
20. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter - Updated Apr 6, 2013, 13:42 Wesp5

WaltC wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 11:49:
Patch is apparently not on ModDB, and I can't seem to get it from The Patches scrolls at all--keeps telling me the source is unreadable and to try later--at any rate my normal 25k/s down from TPS does me little good!...;)

The patch is not on Moddb because it's an exclusive for TPS. But I thought their own server have improved availability after GameFront blocked a lot of countries. Or maybe you tried the short time in which they updated the patch for a little hotfix...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 6, 2013, 12:04 Wesp5

Which will be topped by Android sales, no?  

15. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 09:35 Wesp5

yuastnav wrote on Apr 6, 2013, 05:00:
Man, I gotta play Precursors.

Yeah, you should! It's unpolished but a lot better with the patch. Please wait for a day or so though, because some stupid time-stamp checking on DeepShadows part and Windows or WinRAR daylight saving update messed the current version up. I will have it fixed in no time!

11. Re: Wesp5's Patches And Kickstarter Apr 6, 2013, 03:07 Wesp5

Just to clear this up, I have nothing to do with the kickstarter. I just mentioned it to Blues, because it's home forum is the same Planet Vampire site that I use for my Bloodlines patches.  

News Comments > DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011
64. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 5, 2013, 06:22 Wesp5

Krizzen wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 21:14:
Carmack and whoever is left of the good old id we love should just pack up and head over to Valve where their epic legacy can continue without another uber fail like Rage.

What should they do there? Valve hasn't released a game of their own for years! All they publish nowadays are commercialized mods done by the mod or university teams themselves while the rest of Valve lives off the money Steam provides them from games other companies create!

60. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 17:05 Wesp5

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 15:21:
The problem is that they were threadbare mechanics that add nothing to the game...

Well, that's your opinion. It added a lot to the game for me: I got basic quests, cool characters, great racing and the usual fine id shooting. That's more that can be said for the typical Call of Duty clone FPS nowadays.

Be a great shooter, a good RPG or at least get the hybrid stuff right a la Deus Ex.

In my opinion even the original Deus Ex wasn't that great. Much too obvious level design to support multiple ways, always a vent where you needed it. If you want a perfect FPS/RPG hybrid, look at VTM Bloodlines!

55. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 14:57 Wesp5

Verno wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 09:18:
Here is this big beautiful world visualized, whoops sorry you only see a small bit of it. Heres some "quests"! Here's something for players to pick up because they like loots!

What's the problem here? Most of the time you can't see all the world in Skyrim too, and when you do, it doesn't look great. Most of the quests in Skyrim weren't that deep either and while you can pick up everything in Skyrim, you just don't need most of the stuff. I think RAGE found a nice middle ground between linear shooters like Call of Duty and sandbox games like Skyrim.

As for the megatextures, I indeed don't understand the details. I just noticed that the version id used looked crap on my system before I updated and I also heard, that because it doesn't repeat textures, it's hell for modders to use or for other companies to license. But I could imagine an Elder Scrolls to look really magnificent with that engine, much better than Skyrim!

50. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 09:17 Wesp5

MindStalker3 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 08:56:
No, they promised the "game" will be as big as Skyrim.

How could that be? DOOM is all about closed quarters dark areas combat against demons! RAGE is how an id game looks out in the open with big areas and people seem to not have liked it. Which again I blame on the technical issues. Carmack made a big error with the megatextures stuff! Not only killed it off mods and licensing, it looks really bad unless your system can handle it. I upgraded mine and suddenly RAGE got a lot better :)!

49. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 09:10 Wesp5

netnerd85 wrote on Apr 4, 2013, 07:48:
Seriously, how much money did you guys get for writing these comments?

Nothing. RAGE might not be the best game ever, but certainly better than most games id has made before, some of which were indeed little more than engine demos. Also show me characters that look more lifelike like the ones in RAGE! Granted, they haven't done much with them besides being quest giver, but nevertheless...

48. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 09:10 Wesp5

Oops, double post.  

36. Re: DOOM 4 Development Rebooted in 2011 Apr 4, 2013, 07:11 Wesp5

In my opinion RAGE is the best game id ever did and with it's quest structure it is closer to games like Skyrim than anything id had done before. Sadly the megatextures made too many problems on low end systems while at the same time killing off possible mods, but with the right system RAGE looks absolutely beautiful and the characters are the best since Bloodlines, which includes everything RPG from Bethesda!

Of course all of this won't be needed for a DOOM game and looking at it in retrospection, DOOM3 was "Call of Doom" already, if only with a little backtracking here and there, so id would have nothing to loose!

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
155. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 7, 2013, 04:42 Wesp5

D4rkKnight wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 03:04:
When you pay for every spoken word you cut down the content to a bare minimum.

There are exceptions to this rule. Just look at VTM Bloodlines which has great content and perfect voice-overs too!

News Comments > No PC Halo 4 Because It's "Designed Specifically for Xbox 360"
42. Re: No PC Halo 4 Because It's Nov 7, 2012, 04:16 Wesp5

InBlack wrote on Nov 7, 2012, 03:20:
Rhett wrote on Nov 6, 2012, 21:29:
Halo 1 was pretty fun on PC...

Yeah this, I actually enjoyed it on the PC warts and all.

Me too! It had something in regards of the continuity of the world and it's weapons. Everything looked like it belonged there and the vehicle combat was fine for the time. But the library levels were bad and Halo 2 dragged on forever. Still I think it would be cool if MS would offer the old Halo games for Windows 8 so someone could convert them to Windows 7 :)!

News Comments > Black Mesa Released
35. Re: Black Mesa Released Sep 14, 2012, 15:00 Wesp5

Here is a good link for people in Europe: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Black-Mesa_57528457.html  

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer
20. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 11, 2012, 16:26 Wesp5

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 22:47:
No, Portal 2, DoTA 2 don't count, those are games they absorbed, Borg style, complete with some/all of the original developers.

Exactly! Also these are all mods or student projects that they commercialized. They haven't done a real game in my opinion since Hl2:EP2...

News Comments > Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer
10. Re: Steam Big Picture Mode Preview; Trailer Sep 10, 2012, 15:08 Wesp5

So basically this is just a console controller interface for Steam, again showing where Valve places their priorities. Didn't they made some cool AAA games in the past? I can't remember anything lately but mod-ports...  

News Comments > Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95%
29. Re: Ubisoft: PC Piracy Rate 93-95% Aug 22, 2012, 11:22 Wesp5

DukeFNukem wrote on Aug 22, 2012, 11:01:
Steam seems to be have gotten it right.

What has Steam got to do with this? Steam is a kind of DRM itself and AAA games there cost the same as on retail, although they should be cheaper with no media and box and stuff. If you buy them years later or on a sale, the price has nothing to do with retail vs digital distribution!

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
4. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jun 30, 2012, 16:37 Wesp5

Tanto Edge wrote on Jun 30, 2012, 15:41:
Me too, the way people describe these patches, I'm expecting Bloodlines one and a half.

It is well known that Bloodlines was released unfinished and rushed. The plus version of the Unofficial Patch restores a lot of unused content found in the game files so it's almost a kind of restoration project compared to the basic version which stays true to the original released game. Expect actual new content in some future patch as we try to recreate the cut library level according to infos from Brian Mitsoda himself using lots of assets already done by Troika!

117 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo