Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Werner Spahl

Real Name Werner Spahl   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wesp5
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 5, 2003, 10:38
Total Comments 140 (Novice)
User ID 16932

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Client Updated
4. Re: GOG Galaxy Client Updated Aug 26, 2015, 06:25 Wesp5

jimnms wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 21:05:
Then when I tried to re-install them, the client installed version uses a modified .exe which made me unable to install the patches because they look for and modify the original game .exe.

As far as I know GOG removes any kind of DRM from the games they sell so they need to change the .exe! It's more weird that patches modify the .exe in the first place...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Gameplay Video
8. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Gameplay Video Aug 6, 2015, 03:58 Wesp5

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 19:39:
The thing is, the core concept is so awesome that it's amazing two developers can fuck it up so badly.

Really? I mean the US conquered by North Korea, a country that can't even feed it's own population? This is a complete joke as a concept! In my opinion we got enough resistance games already, from HL2 over CoD to the recent Wolfenstein New Order.

News Comments > New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast
12. Re: New DOOM is Fast; Want Co-op? Not So Fast Jul 26, 2015, 16:59 Wesp5

My impression when seeing the Doom videos was it's a mix of Doom3 and Quake3. Seems to fit the bill ;)...  

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
36. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 16:25 Wesp5

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 14:33:
Bethesda found a great way to make money on previously free mods.

I don't think Bethesda is the problem here, as this will probably work for lots of other games and mods and at least Bethesda releases big budget AAA games regularily that sell well. For Valve on the other hand this is yet another way to get money for free out of their quasi-monopoly Steam system and I bet it was all their idea!

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
35. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 13:01 Wesp5

WaltC wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 12:10:
If Valve doesn't do another Half-Life, then what motive would the company have for developing a newer Source engine?

They could use it to make L4D3, DOTA3, TF3 or some other MP game which is easy to do and from which lots of money can be made with in game hats and other stupid stuff...

I could care less about multiplayer for HL3, actually--that seems enormously boring to me. The HL story is one with much remaining potential for *single-player* if only Newell and Valve can muster up the energy to talk about it (or even do it?) That seems to be the problem--Valve is spending its time (wasting?) on silly PR projects designed to promote Valve's public hot-air profile (Steam machine, VR, etc.) when the true pot of gold for the company won't be some silly gimmick like that. It'll be a masterful HL3.

I fully agree to that, but that was never Newell's priority. Remember the HL2 delay because he only cared about Steam? It's like that all over again! Why spend time and effort on a singleplayer game when you can live off other peoples games and MP hats?

Gabe says he's learned a lot...

See above. His hints about MP gaming prove my point!

If he's not doing a HL3 then the least he could do is say so, sell the IP, and move over for someone to do something with the property.

Agreed.

News Comments > Source Engine 2 Announced
51. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 10:01 Wesp5

Task wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 09:23:
And if Valve has, in the background has some HL3 sitting on half-life developer desk computers they keep rolling their chairs away from to go play DoTA and CS development tables, the "Gabe" probably has decided to scrap various early concepts of HL3 as well trying to come up with the "perfect" thing and losing focus.

You are probably right there. HL2 was delayed because Gabe Newell only cared to make Steam a monopoly at the time holding the CS players hostage to get it going. Now he obviously wants Steam to catch up with the consoles and VR devices so why should he care about a single old game? The HL2 delay story continues all over again!

40. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 07:47 Wesp5

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 21:10:
Valve has obviously been quite concerned about Mickeysoft's strategy to turn Windows into more of a closed platform for quite some time.

You mean like Steam? Recently Valve disallowed chats from the browser, it's only possible from the client now. Some time before they stopped posting in their community unless you bought a game through Steam. Not unlock a retail game or something, no, without giving Valve your credit card number no partipitation in their community! I doubt Microsoft could close Windows up like this ever...

39. Re: Source Engine 2 Announced Mar 4, 2015, 07:41 Wesp5

NKD wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 06:51:
I just don't think Valve has any good creative minds left. Creating some multiplayer games that are basically refinements on existing titles is one thing.

I agree with that...

Even their most recent single player effort, Portal, is effectively a puzzle game concept they bought from someone else, and Portal 2 is again just more refinement on an existing idea.

...and that...

The narrative structure hasn't aged well. You've got a silent protagonist wandering around occasionally getting tidbits of story from secondary characters that dip in and out of your mostly lonely journey. You make no choices about how to move forward. You just linearly plow through enemies until the next story drop.

...but not that. This concept works fine every year for the CoD games, so of course HL3 could be a similar success if done right!

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2015, 07:49.

News Comments > Writer's Guild Videogame Writing Award Nominees
12. Re: Writer's Guild Videogame Writing Award Nominees Jan 13, 2015, 07:28 Wesp5

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jan 12, 2015, 19:29:
I'm surprised "Alien:Isolation" was nominated for best-writing. For all that game was a visual treat and had awesome atmosphere, its writing was terrible.

I fully agree to that! Just seeing it being listed there makes the whole award look like a joke to me...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 11, 2015, 16:46 Wesp5

I wonder why the top selling Steam game most of the time is Counter-Strike. Everyone should own this by now, no? Or the other AAA titles are still sold more retail that Valve and Steam wants us to believe.  

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
32. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 10:42 Wesp5

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 09:02:
They chose to move off the WON.net architecture which frankly was kind of creaky to begin with and try to build a more scalable platform.

What a coincidence that they used the favorite MP game at that time and everyone wanting to continue needed Steam. Guess what Origin is doing to get their share of the market? Exactly the same!

31. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 10:38 Wesp5

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 06:38:
Apple clone? Seriously? You do know that SteamOS is basically a Linux build right?

You misunderstand me. I meant that it will be pretty sure that the only games running on SteamOS will be those purchased from Steam, anything else would be stupid from Valves side. And guess what? That's exactly what Apple is doing with their App Store: One source to rule them all!

23. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 9, 2015, 04:54 Wesp5

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2015, 02:56:
Well said. Steam changed PC gaming in a big way.

Yeah, they forced every Counter-Strike player into Steam and thus got a headstart on the digital distribution front and kept that a monopoly for now. This is not very different to what MS does with Windows.

Steam OS (which is what these will be running I guess) has the potential to be even more relevant, especially with the shit Microshaft is rumoured to be pulling.

Windows 10 is probably something like an optimized Windows 7 and everybody who actually works on a PC, except for some Mac artists, will continue to use it, because you just can't work on a tablet. Also I don't see why people like Valve more than MS. Steam is already a closed App Store for games that gets % for every game sold. If SteamOS would succeed, the whole free Windows world would succumb to another Apple clone!

News Comments > Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams
13. Re: Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri Shooter/RPG Dreams Jan 6, 2015, 07:10 Wesp5

jdreyer wrote on Jan 6, 2015, 06:57:
Besides, something like SS2 would be a niche title, and probably not funded at the AAA level.

There already was a SS2 and it was bad enough compared to its predecessor. Then we had Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 (= Infinite) all using the same SS plot twist over and over again. I don't see the need for one more...

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
28. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 2, 2015, 16:15 Wesp5

DangerDog wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 15:49:
It was mainly a let down because of the fake e3 gameplay video, if that had never been shown then it just would have been another blip on the radar of poorly made games based on movies.

I don't understand why people cared so much about that. They showed some cool "in-game" scenes in the Bioshock Infinitive videos that didn't even made it into the game, but this seems to bother nobody!

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam
27. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines and AvP 2010 No Longer Sold on Steam Jan 2, 2015, 16:13 Wesp5

nin wrote on Jan 1, 2015, 11:49:
Hopefully Sega realizes why Isolation was so well received, and continues that route...

Well received, maybe, but a financial success? I think it went to much into the currently overhyped survival direction. A middle ground between it and the pure-shooter ACM would be an ideal Aliens game for me...

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
55. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 08:13 Wesp5

InBlack wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 07:46:
If one of those 'talented' journalists working at [insert gaming rag of choice] were to make a connection between Postal and this game and call them out on their hypocrisy, they might.

I don't know about Hatred and the first Postal, but the second one was obviously a comical effort, completely over the top and not to be taken seriously. Besides the whole thing in connection with GTA V reminds me of Apple censorship, like taking smaller apps with sexual content from their store, but still offering the big players. Pure hypocrisy too!

News Comments > Hatred Gets Steam Redlight
43. Re: Hatred Gets Steam Redlight Dec 16, 2014, 04:11 Wesp5

Sepharo wrote on Dec 16, 2014, 01:55:
Edit: I realize now that you're giving the word "banned" far more weight than it is due and seem to think that it intrinsically implies government involvement or something.

Just to give my two cents, as Steam is with distance the biggest online game distributer, this is not something like a single store not holding a product...

News Comments > Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder)
32. Re: Alien: Isolation Now Easier (and Harder) Dec 10, 2014, 14:51 Wesp5

Beamer wrote on Dec 10, 2014, 13:18:
I hate "true stealth" games. Deus Ex wasn't one of those. In Deus Ex, you wander around stealthily and, if you mess up, you rapidly improvise. I love it.

Exactly my playing style too! Even better than Deus Ex in that regard is VTM:Bloodlines. As for Alien Isolation, because it is forcing me to stealth in a very similar looking environment without quicksaves, I can only play one or two chapters. After that I get bored with the gameplay and level design, not terrified or something! Not having any meaningful story is not helping either...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dead State
6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dead State Dec 5, 2014, 04:13 Wesp5

I'm not at all into isometric turn based RPGs, but as this was made by Brian Mitsoda who wrote the great dialogues for VTM: Bloodlines I can only imagine that this will be a lot of fun!  

140 Comments. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo