Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for  

Real Name     
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dubfanatic
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 17:13
Total Comments 1632 (Pro)
User ID 169

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 1943
43. Re: Battlefield 1943 Announced Feb 5, 2009, 17:08 dubfanatic

It's a shame that publishers are so risk averse that they're unwilling to try something politically relevant like the recent wars in Iraq / Afghanistan / Sudan / Sri Lanka / Palestine / Lebanon / Georgia, etc.

It's not necessarily that they are risk averse, it's that it's just too damn hard to make a game (or movie or book) based on an ongoing conflict. It's much easier to do the research on a war that's already been fought and the effects sorted out. Not only do you need the filter of history to decide which aspects of the war were most important in the end, but there's also future events that can't be foreseen that could change the face of the war. A game based on Iraq or Afghanistan could be done but it would have to be very limited.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Paradox Steam Sale
5. Re: Paradox Steam Sale Feb 5, 2009, 16:46 dubfanatic

I never understood EU3's combat system. I guess back then wars were won by huge armies chasing each other back and forth between provinces until one of them suffered too much attrition? Either that or you have to have even bigger armies sitting in every one of the bordering provinces to prevent the enemy from magically slipping through your grasp and rampaging through your territory.

News Comments > Mythic Layoffs
1. Re: Mythic Layoffs Feb 4, 2009, 23:58 dubfanatic

I'm getting dizzy from all this spin...  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2009, 15:07 dubfanatic

wow I think that was the most goony thing I've ever read (or skimmed and decided it's not worth reading, in this case)

News Comments > JoWooD's Good Old Games
1. Re: JoWooD's Good Old Games Jan 27, 2009, 22:01 dubfanatic

Good. JoWooD has put out some real crap but on occasion they let a good one get through. And it's always good to see GOG's catalog expand.  

News Comments > Operation Anchorage GFW Woes
16. Re: Operation Anchorage GFW Woes Jan 27, 2009, 19:06 dubfanatic

Fallout 3 was barely functional at release and extremely buggy, why would people expect anything different from the DLC?

Yeah, I don't know what people are bitching about here. Bethesda+Microsoft is a match made in heaven.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - MLB Front Office Manager
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - MLB Front Office Manager Jan 27, 2009, 14:45 dubfanatic

A manager game on consoles? Hah, good luck with that...

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jan 27, 2009, 13:07 dubfanatic

Their other example of good writing is Iron Man. I think that pretty much sums it up.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 27, 2009, 13:04 dubfanatic

(which seems to be the popular thing to do nowadays, along with bashing Christians and Jews)...

Every day I weep for the poor, oppressed American Christians. They are constantly under attack from the giant, powerful atheist lobby. Every day Christianity becomes increasingly marginalized in American society. At least, that's what I heard on The 700 Club last night.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 26, 2009, 15:15 dubfanatic

The social "scientists" doing research on video games are as much scientists as the sandwich "artists" at Subway are artists.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto IV Patch
49. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 25, 2009, 17:41 dubfanatic

Better graphics (even at low settings)

No way. The low-res textures are far worse than the console textures, and if you don't turn on the blur you get to see the shadow dithering that looks like something out of 1996.

News Comments > Ryzom Patch & Payment Status
5. Re: Ryzom Patch & Payment Status Jan 25, 2009, 15:55 dubfanatic

The days of grinding thousands of mobs over and over to level/skill up are over.

Not as long as there are nerdy 14-year-olds with Mom's credit card and no real obligations or social lives.

44. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 25, 2009, 05:11 dubfanatic

Remember since GTA1 you could find vans that provided you RC car missions that usually ended in you blowing someone up?

Yeah, there's all sorts of stuff from the old GTA games that didn't make it into GTA4. It's obvious that Rockstar expended more effort on the graphics and sound than the actual game itself.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Oklahoma Tax Break Jan 24, 2009, 19:52 dubfanatic

haha, what a worthless tax break. Good luck competing with established game dev centers like TX, CA and WA...

24. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 24, 2009, 17:39 dubfanatic

Another patch, and people are still having serious issues with the game.

This game will never be fixed. It's all part of the plan to discredit the PC as a gaming platform.

21. Re: Grand Theft Auto IV Patch Jan 24, 2009, 16:41 dubfanatic

Hitting "p" adds this to the PC release, but it honestly looks worse than the jaggies.

Maybe for some people it does, but on my system it looks better (in my opinion). The game has z-fighting on my system and the blur does an OK job at making it less noticeable. Also right now I only have 256 MB VRAM so I'm limited to 1024x768 (not much longer until my 1 GB Radeon 4850 gets here). Plus with that little VRAM, all the textures are washed out anyway so it doesn't change much.

This comment was edited on Jan 24, 2009, 16:43.

News Comments > Circuit City Closing
26. Re: Circuit City Closing Jan 17, 2009, 15:23 dubfanatic

I don't believe it was the economy but rather poor, no make that very poor management, that brought down CC.

Poor management probably helped, but retail is getting destroyed right now. Circuit City isn't the only big-box retailer that has closed in the last few months, and it's not going to be the last.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2009, 14:07 dubfanatic

I love it when Blue talks about the weather. All the armchair climatologists on this site come out to express how ignorant they are.

News Comments > NY's Racist Games Bill
14. Re: NY's Racist Games Bill Jan 14, 2009, 00:25 dubfanatic

Sure they have. Including this on. The only Wright in the NY state assembly is Keith L.T. Wright. Who is a democrat.

I think he was being sarcastic. (the poster, that is)

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 00:25.

News Comments > Ice Hockey Manager 2009
1. Re: Ice Hockey Manager 2009 Jan 6, 2009, 14:47 dubfanatic

anyone know if this game has North American leagues? It seems like it just has the DEL...  

1632 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo