Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for á

Real Name á   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dubfanatic
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 17:13
Total Comments 1683 (Pro)
User ID 169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Trailer; Bonus Signups
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Trailer; Bonus Signups Jan 14, 2015, 14:20 dubfanatic

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 07:57:
The last Cities games weren't the greatest though.

If you're referring to Cities XL, that's a completely different studio.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
5. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 18:14 dubfanatic

"small Steam-capable computers"

The idea of building a high end gaming PC around the Steam OS / Linux hybrid seems like a waste of money.

Maybe they can cut it down to just a game streaming device that's ultra affordable.

Yeah, I just don't see how much of a market there is for high-end living room gaming PCs. Even the home theater PC market is limited to enthusiasts at this point, most of whom probably already have their own custom-built HTPC. Without some substantial value-add I'm not too hopeful for this segment.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 12:20 dubfanatic

tough life being a consumer these days I tell you what, nobody recognizes my entitlement  

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
70. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:44 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:33:
Right. So every time a developer here announces they're working on a mobile game, or not the sequel someone wants, no one here should ever say anything.

Christ, get off your crusade about what people can and cannot complain about.

You're starting to get it. Complaining about mobile ports and complaining about morally objectionable content carries about equal weight with game developers: none. If you're complaining, you probably weren't in their target market to begin with. If you want to make a difference, don't buy it, and don't spread the hype by talking about it! It's remarkably simple.

69. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:38 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:32:
Is "moral crusader" the new SJW?

Again, though, you bring up strawmen. The only person doing any arguing of the type you're claiming is Cutter, who most here have on ignore.

Not a single person is "moral crusading." Maybe you need a better hobby than whining about "moral crusaders?"

I use the term "moral crusader" to identify the tendency of certain groups to dictate what types of media others should enjoy based on moral reasons. SJWs and Christian fundamentalists are both extremist moral crusaders. This thread is filled with moderate moral crusaders who just "politely ask" that game developers not produce content they find objectionable.

In case you're still not convinced that this is a real phenomenon and not something I just made up, go watch the some of the PMRC Senate hearings. You'll hear the exact same arguments made here, but instead of crusading against games they're crusading against popular music.

66. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:31 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:20:
It isn't a call for censorship, it's a call for people to be smarter about what they choose to put in the marketplace. There's a huge difference between forcing someone not to do something and asking they not do it.

What right do any of us have to tell game developers what they should be working on? How entitled have we become that we, as consumers, can demand with a straight face that they abide by our standards? If you don't like it, don't buy it, and most of all, don't publicize it by talking about it.

65. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:29 dubfanatic

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:01:
Speech however isn't fantasy where as everything in a game is. WITH one large caveat to those that want some censorship. Places like STEAM etc do have a right to not sell it and that is good and fine. Steam could have not sold this game and I would have been fine with it. I would be more un-fine if they couldn't make the game at all and try to sell it on their own personal site. I assume if you make something that controversial, that will be the only place you will be able to sell it, like underground books.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Steam can't be allowed discretion about what games they can carry. I don't know the inner workings of Steam's Greenlight process, but the fact that it went through Greenlight shows there was some community interest in it. How much of that interest in genuine and how much of it is just bandwagon jumpers is debatable. Either way, Valve initially chose to forgo any possible revenue they could make off selling Hatred for some unspecified reason. Now they've retracted that while still not clarifying the reason. Could the backlash have generated so much interest in the game that Valve can't ignore the potential sales?

And honestly, I don't see how this game is so controversial. It just seems like Postal with an even more generic and sophomoric backdrop, fodder for teen-aged streamers. All of the controversy is giving this game more attention than it really deserves. Moral crusaders could do more damage to things like this by just finding themselves a new hobby.

56. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:23 dubfanatic

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:16:
If you're too stupid to understand that freedom isn't absolute and that there must be some surrender of some freedoms and taking on of personal responsibility in order for society at large to function than no, you obviously can't be trusted to do what's right and need intelligent, moral adults to limit you. Don't like it? Fuckoff to some shithole like Somalia then and see how that grabs you. Seriously? What are you? A tween? Grow a brain and grow the fuck up.

Your language triggered me. Please report to Social Justice Education Camp #356 (Dworkin) for re-education.

54. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:19 dubfanatic

Kosumo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:59:
Who cares? SJW making a song and dance about something they don't like?

Why do people think they should have a say in what another adult does?

As someone above pointed out - do they want thought police?

Not only do they want thought police, they want to be the thought police, the thought judges, the thought jury and the thought jailers. And we should all let them, because they're standing up for social justice, and what kind of monster could be against that? They're totally not like the Christian fundamentalists who tried to do the same thing until their base started to erode in the 1990s.

53. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:17 dubfanatic

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:59:
I am all for freedom in game design, but there are limits which should not be crossed. This game pushes those limits.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but people shouldn't be allowed to say some things. I'm all for freedom of religion, but people shouldn't be allowed to start or join cults. I'm all for freedom to participate in politics, but anyone who donates to a campaign I don't like should lose their job.

51. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:13 dubfanatic

NKD wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:58:
I don't understand the controversy. We've been murdering pixel people in games for a lot of years. Why is a game that doesn't justify it somehow more objectionable than one that candy coats it and tells you you're the good guy for doing it?

Because moral crusaders believe people are inherently weak and will internalize the lessons of anything they read, listen to or play. And this time, the moral crusaders are on the far-left, and leftists already largely believe that other humans are weak, so it's a natural fit.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 03:16 dubfanatic

I demand that you call me by my pronoun

If you don't I will get REALLY MAD AND OFFENDED

News Comments > CitesXXL Announced
2. Re: CitesXXL Announced Dec 11, 2014, 18:58 dubfanatic

Hopefully this will be the one that doesn't suck. SC4 could really use some competition. It's kind of sad that a 10-year-old game is still the king of city builders.  

News Comments > Scrolls Launch Today
34. Re: Scrolls Launch Today Dec 11, 2014, 17:38 dubfanatic

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 11, 2014, 09:31:
Trying the Trial ;p Am seriously pissed off about Hearthstone match-making lately.. so this is welcome we'll see if it's fun or not..

What's wrong with Hearthstone's matchmaking? I ask because I just started playing it again after months of not playing, and it's constantly putting me up against Secret Mages and Hunters. I can't tell if it's just crappy matchmaking or if that's just the flavor of the month.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 14, 2014, 00:18 dubfanatic

I hereby announce the winner of the dubfanatic award for really cool people 2014. This year's award goes to Boutrous Boutrous-Ghali. Nominees for this year were Janet Reno and Tom Brokaw. Previous winners and nominees include:

Albert Einstein, Robert Heinlein, Elian Gonzalez, Deng Xiaoping, Charles Murray, Barack Obama, JosÚ MartÝ, Wesley Willis, Norman Borlaug, Maya Angelou, and Samantha Smith.

Look at all those well-known, acclaimed people. It's a major award.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 22:39 dubfanatic

Nah, they're just making her seem more important than she really is to amplify the outrage. "Obscure, poorly-known sci-fi writer exposed as troll" doesn't quite drum up the outrage brigade as well.

And this is an especially hard sell since she's an LGBTQ woman of color, and due to her high ranking on the Hierarchy of the Oppressed, can do no wrong.

This comment was edited on Nov 13, 2014, 22:46.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 20:26 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:22:
Those are factors of both the shooting and misogyny, but shooting a woman because she won't be yours is absolutely misogyny.

Same with the California shootings. I know Milo Breitbart said it was due to video games, not misogyny, but shooting women because they won't have sex with you; having such a feeling of entitlement to their bodies that they deserve to die for not allowing you access to it, is misogyny, your eyeroll emoticon or not.

If we reversed the genders here, and it was a spurned girl who murdered a boy, would it be misandry?

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 20:18 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 18:41:
It's hard to fault her on blaming the Seattle shooting on misogyny. Early reports, and the twitter feeds of those involved, make it look like he killed a girl because she wouldn't be with him.

Yep, misogyny. Not untreated mental illness, not a product of a degenerate culture that glorifies violence and hyper-individuality. It's definitely misogyny. Rolleyes

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
13. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 5, 2014, 22:46 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 22:24:
You know that makes no sense given who her boyfriend is and how this all started, right?

edit - I guess I should specify "ex boyfriend." But by his own timeline, all the mentions she got was before she cheated on him, not after.

Ah, cool, that makes it all OK then.

News Comments > etc.
33. Re: etc. Oct 5, 2014, 22:41 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 21:55:
And, interestingly, we have better social equality now than the 80s. Worse economic, but changing society seems easier than changing taxation.

What is social equality and how do you measure it? And how can you attribute an increase in social equality to the restriction of free speech?

EDIT: And how do you propose to prevent the right wing from not using these same tactics when the political climate inevitably swings back in their favor?

1683 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo