Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for  

Real Name     
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dubfanatic
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 17:13
Total Comments 1691 (Pro)
User ID 169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL
7. Re: Ship Ahoy - Cities XXL Feb 5, 2015, 13:30 dubfanatic

Slashman wrote on Feb 5, 2015, 12:24:
How can they consistently keep screwing this up?

Shouldn't you learn something after 2 failures?

They've been at this for longer. Cities XL is the continuation of the City Life series, which was created by the now-defunct Monte Cristo. Their games were generally pretty low-budget, unpolished and mediocre, but not aggressively awful. After Monte Cristo went out of business, the Cities XL franchise ended up in the hands of Focus Home Interactive. Though they've published some good games like Trackmania, they have no real track record as a developer, with only the Cities XL series to their name as far as I can tell. This leads me to believe that they're just farming work out to contractors, having them add a couple of new features and slapping a new name on it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bot Colony Ending
3. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 30, 2015, 19:14 dubfanatic

Seriously though, this is why you don't build a game based on unproven tech that you don't own. Natural language processing is still a very early field, and the few consumer products using it are still pretty janky. Siri can barely understand me, and I speak a neutral General American accent.  

News Comments > Bot Colony Ending
2. Re: Bot Colony Ending Jan 30, 2015, 19:03 dubfanatic

If this was called "Zombie Colony" and involved telling your AI companions to move around a map full of zombies, it would have sold millions.  

News Comments > Blizzard Rumors: "Low Expectations" for Heroes of the Storm?
24. Re: Blizzard Rumors: Jan 30, 2015, 18:17 dubfanatic

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 11:12:
All things are not equal in the real world. Some no-name game from Namco going offline is far more likely than a hit game from Blizzard going offline. The Diablo 2 servers are still running 15 years after release.

To add to that, the chance that you'll get bored of the game and just stop playing it is much higher than the chance that the game shuts down before you're done with it. Of all of the online games I've played over the years, I can only think of two that shut down while I was still an active player (Aliens Online and Motor City Online)

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
40. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 20:11 dubfanatic

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 17:49:
There is some truth in that but...

1. How does a person know this fuels organized crime? It's a sale, who knows really, right? Do you have proof? Is it readily available?

2. $40+ dollar games are now considered expensive, so people wanting to get a bargain, get that.

3. Wages have been stagnent while cost of living continues to rise, what can one expect? Amazon and Wal Mart are popular due to low prices.

4. There is still a cheaper place they could go, right?

1. That is a good point. These days, you'd have to be incredibly naive to think that the "Rolex" you bought for $10 from some Manhattan sidewalk vendor is the real thing, and most people who buy them know full well what they're getting. But these sites look legit, and it's made more confusing by the existence of legitimate discount sites like GMG. Consumers need to be educated about the nature of these cheap key sites.

2. Game pricing has not tracked inflation. The price for a new AAA game today is about the same in numerical amount as they were 15 years ago. The $60 price point is relatively new for PC games though.

3. We're talking about people who can afford to buy a gaming PC. Maybe I'm being presumptuous but someone who can spend $1000+ on a new rig shouldn't be bankrupted by the full price for a new AAA game. If that is the case, then perhaps playing games shouldn't be a top priority, though I understand the trend nowadays is to externalize your personal problems on everyone else.

4. Yep, and honestly I don't see much of a difference between pirating and purchasing from a place like Kinguin. The devs won't see a cent of that money. Depending on how widespread the CC fraud is, it could be a net loss for the devs.

News Comments > Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf
1. Re: Hearthstone Undertaker Card Nerf Jan 28, 2015, 17:55 dubfanatic

Sounds fair. Undertaker is just ridiculously good value.  

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
35. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 17:46 dubfanatic

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 15:55:
They laundered the money through these key selling sites. It's common with key stores for large batches of keys to be used by the providers as a way to launder money and get away with credit card fraud like this.

You hear that, all of you entitled brats who think it's cool to save money by buying cheap keys? You are responsible for the increase in CC fraud. You are fueling organized crime. It's your fault that some hapless people now have to deal with unwanted charges on their bills. But hey, it's all good as long as you can get them cheap gamez right?

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders
50. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Preorders Jan 17, 2015, 12:54 dubfanatic

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 17, 2015, 09:44:
On the other hand, there are a ton of used GTA V games out there for consoles. Don't know why anyone needs a PC version after it has been out so long.

I don't own a console and I'm not going to buy one for a single game.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Trailer; Bonus Signups
5. Re: Cities: Skylines Trailer; Bonus Signups Jan 14, 2015, 14:20 dubfanatic

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 14, 2015, 07:57:
The last Cities games weren't the greatest though.

If you're referring to Cities XL, that's a completely different studio.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Machines "Front and Center" at GDC
5. Re: Valve: Steam Machines Jan 8, 2015, 18:14 dubfanatic

"small Steam-capable computers"

The idea of building a high end gaming PC around the Steam OS / Linux hybrid seems like a waste of money.

Maybe they can cut it down to just a game streaming device that's ultra affordable.

Yeah, I just don't see how much of a market there is for high-end living room gaming PCs. Even the home theater PC market is limited to enthusiasts at this point, most of whom probably already have their own custom-built HTPC. Without some substantial value-add I'm not too hopeful for this segment.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 2, 2015, 12:20 dubfanatic

tough life being a consumer these days I tell you what, nobody recognizes my entitlement  

News Comments > Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight
70. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:44 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:33:
Right. So every time a developer here announces they're working on a mobile game, or not the sequel someone wants, no one here should ever say anything.

Christ, get off your crusade about what people can and cannot complain about.

You're starting to get it. Complaining about mobile ports and complaining about morally objectionable content carries about equal weight with game developers: none. If you're complaining, you probably weren't in their target market to begin with. If you want to make a difference, don't buy it, and don't spread the hype by talking about it! It's remarkably simple.

69. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:38 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:32:
Is "moral crusader" the new SJW?

Again, though, you bring up strawmen. The only person doing any arguing of the type you're claiming is Cutter, who most here have on ignore.

Not a single person is "moral crusading." Maybe you need a better hobby than whining about "moral crusaders?"

I use the term "moral crusader" to identify the tendency of certain groups to dictate what types of media others should enjoy based on moral reasons. SJWs and Christian fundamentalists are both extremist moral crusaders. This thread is filled with moderate moral crusaders who just "politely ask" that game developers not produce content they find objectionable.

In case you're still not convinced that this is a real phenomenon and not something I just made up, go watch the some of the PMRC Senate hearings. You'll hear the exact same arguments made here, but instead of crusading against games they're crusading against popular music.

66. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:31 dubfanatic

Beamer wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:20:
It isn't a call for censorship, it's a call for people to be smarter about what they choose to put in the marketplace. There's a huge difference between forcing someone not to do something and asking they not do it.

What right do any of us have to tell game developers what they should be working on? How entitled have we become that we, as consumers, can demand with a straight face that they abide by our standards? If you don't like it, don't buy it, and most of all, don't publicize it by talking about it.

65. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 17:29 dubfanatic

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 17:01:
Speech however isn't fantasy where as everything in a game is. WITH one large caveat to those that want some censorship. Places like STEAM etc do have a right to not sell it and that is good and fine. Steam could have not sold this game and I would have been fine with it. I would be more un-fine if they couldn't make the game at all and try to sell it on their own personal site. I assume if you make something that controversial, that will be the only place you will be able to sell it, like underground books.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Steam can't be allowed discretion about what games they can carry. I don't know the inner workings of Steam's Greenlight process, but the fact that it went through Greenlight shows there was some community interest in it. How much of that interest in genuine and how much of it is just bandwagon jumpers is debatable. Either way, Valve initially chose to forgo any possible revenue they could make off selling Hatred for some unspecified reason. Now they've retracted that while still not clarifying the reason. Could the backlash have generated so much interest in the game that Valve can't ignore the potential sales?

And honestly, I don't see how this game is so controversial. It just seems like Postal with an even more generic and sophomoric backdrop, fodder for teen-aged streamers. All of the controversy is giving this game more attention than it really deserves. Moral crusaders could do more damage to things like this by just finding themselves a new hobby.

56. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:23 dubfanatic

Cutter wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 16:16:
If you're too stupid to understand that freedom isn't absolute and that there must be some surrender of some freedoms and taking on of personal responsibility in order for society at large to function than no, you obviously can't be trusted to do what's right and need intelligent, moral adults to limit you. Don't like it? Fuckoff to some shithole like Somalia then and see how that grabs you. Seriously? What are you? A tween? Grow a brain and grow the fuck up.

Your language triggered me. Please report to Social Justice Education Camp #356 (Dworkin) for re-education.

54. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:19 dubfanatic

Kosumo wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:59:
Who cares? SJW making a song and dance about something they don't like?

Why do people think they should have a say in what another adult does?

As someone above pointed out - do they want thought police?

Not only do they want thought police, they want to be the thought police, the thought judges, the thought jury and the thought jailers. And we should all let them, because they're standing up for social justice, and what kind of monster could be against that? They're totally not like the Christian fundamentalists who tried to do the same thing until their base started to erode in the 1990s.

53. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:17 dubfanatic

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 14:59:
I am all for freedom in game design, but there are limits which should not be crossed. This game pushes those limits.

I'm all for freedom of speech, but people shouldn't be allowed to say some things. I'm all for freedom of religion, but people shouldn't be allowed to start or join cults. I'm all for freedom to participate in politics, but anyone who donates to a campaign I don't like should lose their job.

51. Re: Hatred Earns Steam Greenlight Dec 30, 2014, 16:13 dubfanatic

NKD wrote on Dec 30, 2014, 11:58:
I don't understand the controversy. We've been murdering pixel people in games for a lot of years. Why is a game that doesn't justify it somehow more objectionable than one that candy coats it and tells you you're the good guy for doing it?

Because moral crusaders believe people are inherently weak and will internalize the lessons of anything they read, listen to or play. And this time, the moral crusaders are on the far-left, and leftists already largely believe that other humans are weak, so it's a natural fit.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
16. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 30, 2014, 03:16 dubfanatic

I demand that you call me by my pronoun

If you don't I will get REALLY MAD AND OFFENDED

1691 Comments. 85 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo