Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for †

Real Name   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname dubfanatic
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 18, 1999, 17:13
Total Comments 1719 (Pro)
User ID 169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2015, 15:06 dubfanatic

Trump/Smart 2016  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 16:23 dubfanatic

NKD wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 14:16:
The real problem is the subtle insidious racism present in the news sections and other areas of the site. Banning some tiny subreddits won't get rid of that.

Something tells me you have no problem with the subtle insidious bias prevalent in the media. You probably don't even realize it exists.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 17, 2015, 13:58 dubfanatic

gravity wrote on Jul 17, 2015, 11:53:
Agreed, Cutter.

Should we isolate groups that speak hatefully about others? Probably. Should we censor them publicly? No.

Isolating means, if you agree to company's "ToS" and that ToS clearly states you should not speak hatefully towards any group (loosely defined, and completely open to company interpretation) then you should be banned. Plain and simple.

I think there should be an appeal and audit process, as well.

Riot Games' implementation to weed out the negative mentalities worked rather well. I don't see why anyone couldn't implement something like that pretty much everywhere (games, websites, etc.)? Why isn't there a whole niche for IT companies/departments designed to 'control' the level of hatred spewed around?

I mean... I'm all for removing 'comments' sections from just about every news site at this point. It's either "thanks, left loonies" or "thanks, right nut jobs." There's barely any moderates visible amidst all the name-calling and anger-blowing.

Someone on the Internet thinks differently from me! Something must be done about this! MOMMY MAKE THE BAD MAN STOP CITING HATEFACTS

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 16, 2015, 14:54 dubfanatic

Cutter wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 12:33:
The elites have done an amazing job at getting the right-wing blue collar retards to work against their own self-interest.

Wow, elitist and classist much? Might as well just have come out and said "white people".

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Bonus Cash & RP
3. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Bonus Cash & RP Jul 1, 2015, 21:32 dubfanatic

Absolutely zero desire to play GTA Online anymore. They need to fix the matchmaking (whoever came up with the idea of an On Call Host should be banned from the industry), fix the cheating and maybe whittle down some of the game modes.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Analysis
7. Re: Steam Summer Sale Analysis Jun 26, 2015, 12:02 dubfanatic

Task wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:33:
That is not what I was implying. 37% of steam games haven't been played that people buy (whether the actual game is "good" or not), that sit in back logs. Take Witcher 2 on steam for example, only 16% of people that own it on Steam have actually finished the game on any difficulty.

Finished and played are different things especially for a long game like The Witcher 2. I bet if you could come up with the stats back in the brick-and-mortar days for a game like Baldur's Gate 2 it would be similar.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash
43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Expansion Pricing Backlash Jun 19, 2015, 20:21 dubfanatic

My mom read the press release and found out she's paying for the same thing she just bought so she won't buy it for me  

News Comments > GTA Online Update Next Week
5. Re: GTA Online Update Next Week Jun 1, 2015, 23:16 dubfanatic

Awful matchmaking, too many game modes, rampant cheating, stupid user-created jobs, and overall poor design choices ruined GTA Online. I would have been happy with online mode from GTA IV plus some polish. It seems like GTA Online was done in by product managers who had never played an online game in their life.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions May 21, 2015, 13:03 dubfanatic

What an atrocious community. I don't care how fun the game is. If I wanted to deal with a bunch of immature brats I'd go get my Masters and join Teach for America.  

News Comments > Take-Two Suing BBC Over GTA Movie
9. Re: Take-Two Suing BBC Over GTA Movie May 21, 2015, 12:54 dubfanatic

mellis wrote on May 21, 2015, 11:12:
50/50 it goes Take-Two's way. The UK is *not* the United States. Big money does not always win and the BBC is a public body.

No, Take Two will likely win because there is no freedom of expression in the UK. I could add an insult to the end of this paragraph, and if I was posting it from the UK I could be arrested.

News Comments > 25,000 H1Z1 Bans
15. Re: 25,000 H1Z1 Bans May 20, 2015, 12:43 dubfanatic

Kajetan wrote on May 20, 2015, 10:21:
And thats the problem. Instead of fixing bugs, companies just ban someone. Its cheap, it makes you feel good and it does not change a thing.

If you have come up with a way to prevent memory editing and code injection in software then you had better patent that shit and start a company because you will make billions.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
21. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 19, 2015, 11:35 dubfanatic

Oh good, the Reddit Bureau of Investigation is on the case. Because they've never been wrong before.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 9, 2015, 14:16 dubfanatic

Ian is finishing a graduate degree in sociology with an emphasis in cyber bullying and Jamie has a degree in computer science.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 17:36 dubfanatic

harlock wrote on May 8, 2015, 17:24:
dont say that to xerox

Haha, yeah I suppose there is always the risk of spawning an Apple.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2015, 17:08 dubfanatic

Razumen wrote on May 8, 2015, 15:52:
I don't know, Oculus and the Vive are pretty damn similar, and I wouldn't agree it's good business practice to let your employees leave with tech they developed under your roof and become competitors.

It is if it's an immature uncharted market. Let someone else make the mistakes and you get free lessons. It worked great for Nintendo.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
23. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 16:47 dubfanatic

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 8, 2015, 10:34:
Both parties are to blame, though if nVidia is proactively helping you can understand the performance gap. Things will only get worse with DX12, which requires developers to work more closely with hardware.

DX12 is more difficult to code for but it should actually make it easier for devs to just get shit done without having to pester chip makers for guidance, for the reasons I outlined in my earlier post.

News Comments > Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming
22. Re: Project CARS Livery Pack Released; AMD Optimizations Coming May 8, 2015, 16:43 dubfanatic

HorrorScope wrote on May 8, 2015, 09:59:
I'm cool with being frank about it and almost assuredly true the support.

But this is still the cart-horse thing for me with dev working with gpu/drivers. You are making a game, the hardware is out, the drivers are out, to me it seems it is up to you, the game developer to figure it out from there. I still don't clearly understand things like "New drivers are released for (insert brand new game)". Did they not develop the entire game with an older released driver? Wasn't it optimized for what was already released? Every other game released had been optimized for the current release or older.

I know indy game devs probably have very little to zero support from either company and they manage. I guess because they look at "well here is what Nvidia and AMD offers, 1000's of games work with them, let us get this working right with what is out there now.".

I get it if drivers suck across the board, but we know there are 1000's of well running games with what both manufactures have released in the past.

If they were using an off-the-shelf rendering engine I'd agree but I'm fairly sure a game like this is using a custom renderer. And if you've never worked directly with a low-level API like D3D or OpenGL it's hard to fathom just how many edge/corner cases these APIs are designed to handle. In many cases it's nearly impossible to reason about what is actually going on behind the scenes which makes debugging performance or visual issues incredibly frustrating. This is what DX12 and previously Mantle are/were supposed to solve.

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Scandinavia Friday
8. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Scandinavia Friday May 6, 2015, 19:04 dubfanatic

The boxed version comes out Friday but it is available on Steam now.

This game is great. Don't be fooled by the "Simulator" name, it is a quality game and surprisingly enjoyable. Also, if I ever need to back up a semi, I at least understand the physics behind it now...

News Comments > Steam Game Bans
33. Re: Steam Game Bans Apr 30, 2015, 13:30 dubfanatic

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 30, 2015, 10:21:
In many games devs have had the opportunity to ban.

They weren't immune to a backlash then and won't be now. So nothing really has changed there.

It used to be a lot harder to cultivate an army of fanbois who will play and buy microtransactions in whatever shit you give them just because it's open world zombie survival or a Minecraft ripoff, and will shout down anyone who criticizes.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 29, 2015, 16:07 dubfanatic

Task wrote on Apr 29, 2015, 14:01:
In seriousness, I abhor stereotyping anyone, including Middle Easterns. They've been subject to some rather gross, heinous crimes in this Century and the last on behalf of Imperialism. The Prince though, is also from Saudi Arabia, and they have some seriously, deep-rooted societal problems to resolve on their own.

And they've committed plenty of their own. Ever heard of the Barbary slave trade? Probably not, since they don't like to teach that in history classes. Find me a single group of people on this planet who are innocent.

1719 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo