Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian

Real Name Brian   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bodolza
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Overworked and Underpaid
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2003, 16:27
Total Comments 544 (Apprentice)
User ID 16753

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse May 22, 2012, 12:40 Bodolza

Beelzebud wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:13:
Use a web browser made by an advertising company? Not in this lifetime.

Google-free version:

http://www.getchromium.org/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
12. Re: Into the Black May 15, 2012, 14:27 Bodolza

mag wrote on May 14, 2012, 23:30:
Lots of places have research reactors.

Yep. Even my tiny college had one when I was there, although it's been gone for a while.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
8. Re: Evening Metaverse May 9, 2012, 13:24 Bodolza

Funkinator wrote on May 9, 2012, 08:39:
Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc... don't want it to go away. Sure they use it to launch costly lawyer wars against each other, but more importantly for them they can crush potential competition.

[url=http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2009/03/patent-reform-needed-more-than-ever.html]Google begs to differ.
[/url]

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 26, 2012, 12:33 Bodolza

No chip on most cards in the US, just a magnetic strip. Since roughly 99.99% of readers are magenetic strip only, I wouldn't expect this to change any time soon.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Breathtaking new photos of Space Shuttle Discovery preparing for its final flight Apr 17, 2012, 12:10 Bodolza

nin wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 10:25:
Tupac "hologram" merely pretty cool optical illusion.
More on that here: http://vimeo.com/7047856

That's a bit disappointing. I thought someone had come up with some working hologram system, but it just turns out to be a variation on a 19th century parlor trick.

News Comments > etc, etc.
19. Re: etc, etc. Apr 10, 2012, 13:07 Bodolza

InBlack wrote on Apr 10, 2012, 07:23:
it still doesnt change the FACT that used game sales hurt the publisher.

Its not really an argument, you cant argue about facts, because facts are truth.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not a fact. Used game sales increase the overall market size of the gaming industry. Profits from used game sales may not directly go to the publisher, but an increased market does benefit publishers.

I can't say for a fact that used sales increase or decrease publishers bottom lines, because the numbers don't exist. And neither can you.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2012, 13:49 Bodolza

Awesome looking grill. Pricey for charcoal, but it looks like it will last forever. If you can find a way to vent the top, you might even be able to do some decent bbq on that thing.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2012, 16:42 Bodolza

If I understand your thinking, companies should be criminally liable for the content of ads they post if the ads turn out to be deceitful, since they should have reviewed all the ads before-hand, but it's okay if they don't review the ads before hand because sometimes the ads are okay. So, companies should always review ads, except for when they don't have to.

Did I get that right?

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2012, 15:30 Bodolza

If you're going to take that position, then every media company is responsible for helping criminals -- including newspapers, TV networks, magazines, radio stations, and internet sites.

Since you consider Blue's to be criminally responsible, I'd suggest you stop coming here, or else you're also responsible for supporting them.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2012, 12:29 Bodolza

The only way Google could ever prevent this from happening is to have someone individualy review every single ad posted for any potential deceptive practices.

Should TV networks also be required to vet the claims in every commercial they air?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2012, 16:12 Bodolza

Elessar wrote on Mar 26, 2012, 10:24:
according to reviews and suggestions, this grill should last at least a decade.

Had mine for about 15 years, and it's holding up just fine. I think the most important thing you can do is get a grill cover. If it's not sitting out in the rain, there's much less chance it's going to rust. I also clean the grates after every use, and haven't had to replace them, yet.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
20. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 13, 2012, 13:09 Bodolza

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 09:37:
Few people are still buying desktops. Corporations moved on. Individuals moved on. The benefits they offer over laptops are non-existent unless you're building yourself

Maybe you should read your own links.

"By format type, desktop PCs are still SMBs' choice of device type with unit sales equaling 61.3 million"

And all those companies that are switching to laptops, do you know what else they're buying? Docking stations, mice, keyboards and monitors, so people can use their laptops as desktops.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:39 Bodolza

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:30:
Kinda getting sick of hearing outrage over labor conditions at Foxconn

I'm tired of seeing stories about Kim Kardashian and the Real Housewives of Orange County. What's with all the Hillbilly shows on TV? I wish the city would do something about the stench on 1st street. It's disgusting. My knee has really been bothering me this week.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 3 in October
16. Re: Assassin's Creed 3 in October Feb 16, 2012, 13:30 Bodolza

Where ever it's set, it will need to be a place with lots of buildings to climb, which is going to limit it to major metropolitan areas. Still lots of options there, but that probably means no Japan or Egypt. If we're looking to get out of Europe, something like 19th C. New York could work well. Lot's of story potential, too.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2012, 12:00 Bodolza

Pick your battles. Apple is their most high-profile customer, and since much of Apple's worth is based on marketing, they have the most to lose if their image goes south. With so much money on the line, Apple might actually change something, which should have a ripple effect through other companies and manufacturers.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Ron Paul seeks to unmask YouTube user who uploaded offensive Huntsman ad. Post Comment Jan 30, 2012, 17:37 Bodolza

eunichron wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 15:43:
What government should be doing, and already has the capability to do, is enforcing the law.

That isn't a political stand, and it's not what the Libertarian party represents. All political parties in the US want the laws that they believe in to be enforced, and want to get rid of those they don't want.

6. Re: Ron Paul seeks to unmask YouTube user who uploaded offensive Huntsman ad. Post Comment Jan 30, 2012, 13:39 Bodolza

LittleMe wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 12:43:
Lets take a silly regulation that Ron Paul would almost certainly oppose. Remember a few years back when lead was found in some Chinese toys? So, Mattel helped write the regulatory law that went into effect.

Is Ron Paul's solution to have no regulation? That we should just let them poison the kids? Sure, the "free market" might eventually put that particular company out of business, but more would just pop up in their place. Meanwhile, we have kids dying while we wait for the market to correct itself.

We need effective regulation, not no regulation.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 26, 2012, 15:57 Bodolza

This is done all the time in music. People will write a song with similar, but different chords and notes to evoke the feeling of another song without actually directly copying it, specifically to avoid copyright restrictions. If it's legal in the music world, why not photography?  

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 12, 2012, 14:57 Bodolza

VoodooV wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 13:44:
Now in fairness, Firefox and Chrome make Google their default engine.

I don't think you've installed Chrome recently. I just installed it again today, and the first thing it asks before you can use the software is for the default search engine, and Google is not selected by default.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2012, 15:37 Bodolza

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 11, 2012, 15:14:
Actually, we've seen publishers claim that when zero-day piracy is eliminated due to more sophisticated DRM (i.e. it lasts a week, rather than being cracked before release) they see higher sales than projected.

If all piracy is blocked, it will likely have the effect of shrinking the entire market for commercial software. True, in the short term it's very likely that sales will increase for some well-known publishers, but I haven't seen any convincing evidence that over-all sales will increase over time.

IMO, competitive pricing and availability in combination with social pressure against piracy is the best route. The second isn't going to happen until publishers stop fighting their customers, and even then, it's going to take some time for customers to forget the bad treatment. Society as a whole is generally OK with piracy right now, and a good deal of that attitude has to do with the adversarial posture that publishers have taken.

544 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo