Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Brian

Real Name Brian   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bodolza
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Overworked and Underpaid
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 18, 2003, 16:27
Total Comments 546 (Apprentice)
User ID 16753

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
18. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 2, 2014, 13:27 Bodolza

I'm surprised they didn't call it rape. They would have gotten even more clicks.

Beamer wrote on Sep 2, 2014, 12:46:
But their private sex life should be their private sex life.

Now meet reality. I expect my credit card number to be secure, but I've had to replace it twice this year due to hacks. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice about giving out my card info. They did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2014, 13:21 Bodolza

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 10:11:
His skin looks really bad....that color....is he wasted?

He's 83 years old. Give the man a break.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 15, 2014, 16:58 Bodolza

I got a Cardboard a couple days ago, and couldn't agree more. It's definitely got the "wow" factor. The quantity and quality of the apps is pretty low right now. Hopefully that picks up, but I expect the 3D haters are going to try their best to kill it.

Found this today, which I'll have to check out when I get home:

http://vr.chromeexperiments.com/#/desktop

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 15, 2014, 12:45 Bodolza

I'm calling bogus. There's no way "Streetfighter" or "Le Grande Belleza" is the most pirated movie in any state.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: How I Screwed Myself... Aug 8, 2014, 12:44 Bodolza

He's complaining about unqualified people for the HR Assistant/Front Office position. That's an entry level position. You shouldn't need much or any experience for that job, which makes it perfect for people trying to break into the industry.

And yes, the "mail room" effect still exists, and I see it all the time. You aren't making the executive team without your Ivy League degree, but it's still a good way to get your start.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 7, 2014, 12:46 Bodolza

The reason this myth exists is that people think (inaccurately) because light colored objects better reflect the sun's rays (and therefore much of the heat energy generated by absorbing that light) than dark objects, that this must mean the color relates to how well it conducts heat.

The problem is that this sentence is poorly constructed, so it's hard to tell if he/she is saying (a) people inaccurately think light colored objects better reflect the sun, or (b) that they inaccurately think colour affects heat emission because it affects absorption.

I think he/she is saying (b), which means we all basically agree with each other.

2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2014, 12:34 Bodolza

Reading through the filing, it looks like the Angry Birds lady has a pretty good case.  

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 1, 2014, 12:53 Bodolza

I was expecting it to use the display from a smartphone. What I didn't expect was for it to literally be the front face of a phone. I lol'd when I saw that picture.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: CIA admits it improperly accessed Senate computers. Aug 1, 2014, 12:49 Bodolza

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2014, 23:00:
Keep voting for the bitch, California. Please.

Someone else might get the vote if the Republican party in California can put up a candidate that's not a joke, but I don't see much chance of that happening.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Jul 29, 2014, 12:46 Bodolza

Once I accepted that these movies are more about Jackson exploring Tolkien's world than a strict interpretation of the book, I was able to enjoy the movies much more. That said, his approach has been more novelistic than most movies.

Most movies try to conform to the 4 act structure regardless of source material, whereas novels (especially Sci-Fi/Fantasy), can be meandering with characters going from adventure to adventure. He had to rush or omit parts of the LoTR trilogy to keep it in 3 movies, so I appreciate it that he's taking his time with the Hobbit.

I also seem to be in the minority in liking the HFR.

News Comments > Op Ed
53. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 19:04 Bodolza

yuastnav wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 17:07:
So would you go to, say, a demonstration against the war in Vietnam and tell the people to stop protesting because hey, all wars are bad and you shouldn't just protest against this one but against wars in general.

Many people were protesting against ALL wars at the time. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing most of the anti-Vietnam protesters weren't okay with other wars. Peace and love.

You appear to have missed my point, anyways. I was responding to the argument that the same methods used to fight against racial discrimination in the 60s should be used to combat sexual harassment against female video game players.

My point is that national marches and rallies around the country in an attempt to get Congress to repeal and enact laws protecting female gamers, which is the methods used in the 60s, would be seen by many as a massive overreaction, and would actually turn potential supporters against them. See PETA for a perfect example.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 16:27 Bodolza

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 16:14:
[Second, while gender harassment in games is not as deadly as the fight for civil rights back in the 1960s, the same methods for mitigating it apply.

I don't agree. The degree of the response should be equal to the degree of the problem. For example, an large march on Washington for non-harassment in video games would turn off many people who'd see it as an over-reaction. Especially since, as you said, women in some countries have actual life-threatening situations they have to deal with.

News Comments > Op Ed
31. Re: Op Ed Jul 23, 2014, 15:02 Bodolza

jdreyer wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 14:45:
1960s: Those people that write about racial inequality should just shut up already. Constantly writing about it won't do anything.

Are people burning symbols on women's lawns? How many games have "men only" sections, and will beat up women if they try to play? Are there parades in city streets promoting the superiority of men over women? How many women have been literally hung for gaming?

Ridiculous comparisons only succeed in turning off those who might actually support a cause.

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 22, 2014, 13:14 Bodolza

Keyboards will go away when PCs go away, which isn't anytime soon. On the other hand, voice control is great for phones. Mostly because the keyboards are so terrible. These days, if I'm doing a search on my phone I'll usually use the voice controls.

Also, thanks for the deslide link, Ant. That site will come in very handy.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2014, 13:31 Bodolza

RoboNerd wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 10:03:
Seems to me FDA needs to ask some of these drink manufacturers why their ingredient label fails to disclose the presence of high fructose corn syrup. Clear cut case of mislabeling. So much for Blue's favorite Mexican Coke.

I didn't see any links to how they tested, but that graph makes no sense to me. Sucrose is half fructose/half glucose. How can they have a separate measurement for Sucrose? Mexican Coke is 51% fructose, which is exactly what you'd expect to see in something sweetened with sugar.

Most soft drinks use HFCS 55, which is 55% fructose and 45% glucose - that's right - a whole 5% more than sugar. Most of them showed up with 58%, which is a bit high, but who knows what their margin of error was in these tests.

I don't understand why people say fructose from fruit is better than fructose from vegatables. A fructose molecule is a fructose molecule. It's not like it knows where it came from.

13. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 18:33 Bodolza

Given the choice, which would you choose:

a) No net neutrality laws. Cable monopolies are free to charge for, and throttle bandwidth as they please - prioritizing the traffic that makes them the most money.

b) Imperfect net neutrality laws subject to the lobbying and bureaucratic inefficiencies that are common place these days.

News Comments > Memorial Legal Briefs
20. Re: Memorial Legal Briefs May 27, 2014, 18:24 Bodolza

Verno wrote on May 27, 2014, 09:30:
This ignores all of the things Samsung did rip off is the problem.

Can you name something that Samsung ripped off of Apple that didn't already exist before the iPhone? That comparison image posted earlier shows a rectangle with rounded corners and a grid of icons. Both of those existed long before iPhones, and are obvious as well. Shouldn't we be accusing Apple of ripping off Windows Program Manager?

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 18:07 Bodolza

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2014, 00:27:
On the one hand, you have a good point. On the other hand, current websites are built using responsive web design so that they automatically adjust to the screensize

If Blue redesigns using "responsive web design", I won't be sticking around. Most of those sites look terrible on desktops, which is where I do most of my browsing. There's always massive amounts of wasted white space, huge fonts that I have to manually shrink, and ridiculously narrow fixed width columns. See beta.slashdot, or io9.com for some recent examples. Here's a site I ran across just this morning:

http://ryanfrantz.com/posts/alert-design/

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 4, 2014, 12:25 Bodolza

He was a natural in front of camera, he put some real thought into his reviews, and I always felt like he was one of the very few games journalists with some actual integrity. Adam is the Siskel and Ebert of game reviewers. Sad to see him go.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2014, 16:28 Bodolza

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2014, 15:38:
Is there any streaming content that streams in DTS? Since it's larger than the others, I haven't seen it.

Most of the stuff I've ripped personally is stored in DTS. It's the most common multi-channel format on Blu-rays. It'd mostly affect people who want to stream from their own media servers.

546 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo