Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zirik

Real Name zirik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2003, 10:10
Total Comments 2213 (Senior)
User ID 16699

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2012, 01:59 zirik

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 23:15:
You struck me all right, struck me as one of the dumbest mother fuckers to post on this forum in a long time. All the pork barreling, the endless war on marijuana, the war on illegal immigrants, the *actual* war(s) on the far side of the world, and you come up here saying that of all the things the government spends money on they should stop funding cancer research.

really? i said stop funding cancer research? i said get rid of redundancy. of all the different agencies involved in cancer research the NCI has not done a good job in the past 75 years.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2012, 02:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 21:30 zirik

PHJF wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 21:11:
Wow I didn't realize cancer was so easy to find a cure for.

By all means, zirik, go cure cancer. You sound like an extremely learned individual in matters of human anatomy, health, and molecular and cellular biology. I'm sure you'll cure cancer in no time at all!

did i struck a nerve with a govt worker? you seem to be threatened by my suggestion of shutting down a govt institution that is redundant and a waste of tax payer money.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2012, 21:38.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 20:48 zirik

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 17:09:
...corruption in the FDA and how much big pharma overcharges you for old treatments because there's no money in innovation or cures.

thats the other part of the problem with cancer treatment. after 75 years with an average of 4.5 billion dollars annual budget the national cancer institute has nothing to show except quality assurance studies of chemicals submitted by drug companies. no cure, no progress... nothing. its work is duplicated by the CDC, NIH and get this the DOD. if govt has to immediately shut down a worthless institution it should be the national cancer institute.

13. 6yr old lemonade Apr 20, 2012, 16:07 zirik

i totally agree with the article. the media should not be running feel good stories about a boy asking for charity to pay for dads chemo. they should be highlighting how the health care industry is making it more difficult to pay for treatment. almost 5 years since the death of my mom from cancer and we are still paying for her radiation and chemotherapy treatments. i cant imagine anyone who doesnt have the support of family/relatives paying for cancer treatment on their own. so true with what they said, if the cancer doesnt kill you the medical bill just might.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2012, 15:55 zirik

420 also hitlers birthday.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. automotive black box Apr 20, 2012, 15:50 zirik

i first noticed it in the manual of my car. a bit surprised but there is a small disclaimer stating a court order is needed to extract the content of the data recording prior to and immediately after an accident that triggers airbags. at least it seems the recording is limited by the small amount of memory installed. not sure if the one congress is proposing will constantly record events without airbag deployment.  

News Comments > Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer
21. Re: Crysis 3 Teaser Trailer Apr 20, 2012, 15:41 zirik

nin wrote on Apr 20, 2012, 14:47:
Are you kidding? He went on for weeks about how great Dragon Age 2 was...

maybe he was planted by EA to improve their image here.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 20, 2012, 03:10 zirik

if they are trying to avoid contaminating the drinking water melt off then blowing it up is the worst idea.  

12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2012, 18:13 zirik

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 17:43:
here's hoping that the results of this lawsuit are at least as good as the seattle rex one

he only won half the battle. he still has to collect the money from apple which is easier said than done. i hope he prevails. and i also hope a class action lawsuit rises from his example. apple should be held liable for defective products and warranties.

News Comments > Prey 2 Lives; Delayed
14. Re: Prey 2 Lives; Delayed Apr 19, 2012, 15:31 zirik

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:52:
Fair enough, I didn't really get into the original much. I beat it but the characters and universe never really grabbed me.

i wasnt impressed by the original either. mostly because that damn good trailer they showed at e3 pretty much told what the game was all about and left nothing to the imagination. i hope prey 2 keeps the good parts as a surprise for the consumer and not give it away on any trailer.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2012, 15:16 zirik

Verno wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:59:
Amazon wasn't in a monopoly situation, they just created the best ecosystem for ebooks and gave consumers fair prices. Publishers keep harping on about digital conversion costs for their back catalog but that sounds like a big handwave to me.

thats where publishers are bullshitting consumers. there is no conversion cost of back catalog. ever since the dawn of desktop publishing every book in print starts out as an electronic file. i can dump a thousand books into one watched folder and have acrobat distiller convert it to pdf complete with copyright restrictions like an ebook. no human interaction needed. newer books are even easier to convert since everyone uses soft proofing before going to print. those soft proofs are in the same copyright restricted format as ebooks.

7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2012, 13:51 zirik

Veterator wrote on Apr 19, 2012, 13:27:
I'd say Apple leveraged their market place after they drove a lot of competition out to draw in my revenue with Itunes. Except in this case, instead of offering something better or in demand..they negotiated a contract that basically wants all the big publishers to price fix so they can force others to raise prices and try to drive customers to their Apple book store.

we will have to wait and see what really happened when apple faces DOJ. the agency price model gave publishers control over selling price. apple would never jeopardize hardware sales for a 30% discount on ebooks from publishers. after all they only account for 10% of the ebook market. amazon still has 65% share.

12. Coachella Apr 19, 2012, 13:31 zirik

last performer on the last day... jesus?!  

11. GSA Auction Apr 19, 2012, 13:30 zirik

tough time indeed. they need money to fund their next vegas trip and free ipods.  

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 19, 2012, 13:19 zirik

seems to me apple did a 180 on their itunes policy of making things cheaper so that consumers will buy their hardware. the agency price model must have been pushed down their throat by publishers. apple couldnt do to books what they were able to do with music downloads.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 19, 2012, 13:11 zirik

their worst enemy ARE their technicians. those are the guys selling usb keys to turn regular subscription boxes into free for all. and they sell it for almost nothing. the only thing they charge extravagant amounts are the fully unlocked DVR boxes which go for $400 on the streets of los angeles.  

20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2012, 17:51 zirik

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 16:58:
zirik wrote on Apr 17, 2012, 10:44:
it was sad watching the flypast of the space shuttle discovery on tv. what an amazing piece of design and technology! the govt should be spending money on these types of projects instead of wasting it on expensive vegas parties.

I'd love to spend your tax dollars on expensive Vegas parties and lots of other wasteful stuff too!

ah but im ahead of you. the military spends lots of tax payer money on photos of fighter planes that end up in the private ownership of the photographers. tax payer pays for the jet fuel, personnel and other logistical support. photographer doesnt pay a dime but gets pilot training, a free joy ride on a military jet, keeps the copyrights on the photos and sells the license to publishers for use on books, magazines and web use. photographer keeps all the profits. tax payer gets what the military calls a good public relations image. all aviation photographers get this kind of treatment from the u.s. military. even if theyre not american. you like it?

4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2012, 10:44 zirik

it was sad watching the flypast of the space shuttle discovery on tv. what an amazing piece of design and technology! the govt should be spending money on these types of projects instead of wasting it on expensive vegas parties.

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 2012, 10:50.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Announced
75. Re: Crysis 3 Announced Apr 16, 2012, 19:35 zirik

wait... did i read that correctly? prophet is alive? dont tell me theyre going to reincarnate him in the body of alcatraz. alcatraz might be mute during the entire game but his mind was not dead. the nanosuit kept him from being infected and dying from his injuries. prophet on the other hand shot himself in the head at the beginning of crysis 2. or is this a prequel to crysis 2?  

26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 16, 2012, 17:43 zirik

Dev wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 14:47:
Quboid wrote on Apr 16, 2012, 10:48:
but these IP owners aren't in a position to use the US DOJ for their own bidding.
Pretty sure they are. The current pres put something like 8 or 10 ex-**AA people into DoJ positions. Which is why you see stuff like this.

thats one of the things i hate about the current administration. he assigned DOJ posts to people from private industry... mainly the MPAA and RIAA. of course they will be biased to their former employers.

2213 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo