Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zirik

Real Name zirik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2003, 10:10
Total Comments 2213 (Senior)
User ID 16699

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 4, 2011, 00:12 zirik

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 20:56:
Facebook doesn't just face fines here but FAR more serious political consequences. If they drag this out they face a "Facebook is the new STASI" war that is gonna attrition them to death in Europe.

lets hope it happens sooner rather than later. facebook has become arrogant when it comes to protecting the privacy of its users.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access
23. Re: Battlefield 3 Origin Preorders Include Beta Access Aug 3, 2011, 00:57 zirik

SirKnight wrote on Aug 2, 2011, 21:34:
I've never had a problem with Amazon's release day delivery. Maybe it's because I have Amazon Prime?

you must have not had the pleasure of dealing with lasership. amazon's other shipping company on the east coast. the lazy fucks at lasership are illiterate fools who cant understand what overnight or 2-day shipping means. they sit on a package for 3-5 days before deciding to move it out of their warehouse. their tracking website is like the USPS, its never up to date. the worst part is even if you are a prime member, amazon does not give you the option to choose which shipping company to use for 2-day or overnight shipping. more often than not if it ships out of their pennsylvania warehouse it most likely will be carried by lasership.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 3, 2011, 00:44 zirik

Charlie_Six wrote on Aug 3, 2011, 00:23:
Tits up overnight? 99% of the people I have on my Facebook use their real names.

its not the just using real names that facebook is after. they want to implement a way to authenticate and verify personal information you are using to fill out your profile. facebook is finally realizing it is hard to sell your personal information if the data leads to a dead end for advertisers. only dumb fucks would give up privacy and anonymity for the privilege of using facebook. at least thats what zuckerberg admitted to have said on that infamous instant message he wrote to a colleague.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
7. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 2, 2011, 11:49 zirik

i dont think smart phones with their required data plans and two year contracts would entice parents to buy them for kids as a portable gaming machine. but it is nice that they are giving dedicated gaming machines like the 3ds and vita some competition in order to drive the price down. but these touch screen interfaces on smart phones are annoying as hell because my fingers are covering the display. just give me d-pads and analog sticks and i will be happy.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
7. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Aug 1, 2011, 01:42 zirik

killer_roach wrote on Jul 31, 2011, 14:30:
Next-most is Google, but most of their cash is held overseas from foreign operations, so they'd rather leave it there than bring it back to the US, where it would be subject to (re-)taxation.

its not re-taxation if they hold their cash in a country like bermuda where there is no corporate income tax or even open a subsidiary in amsterdam where 98% of their income goes but not one person in employed by google in that country.

News Comments > Prey 2 Trailer
3. Re: Prey 2 Trailer Jul 20, 2011, 03:14 zirik

Kajetan wrote on Jul 20, 2011, 02:01:
As Warren Spector said on the last GDC: "If you want to make a movie, make a movie!"

treyarch needs to start making movies. their COD games are containing more and more cut scenes which leaves less time for interaction by gamers.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
16. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 18:49 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 16:38:
Why can't we simply go back to Rainbow Six 3, with a updates graphics engine? The planning, tactics, timing, strategy STILL blows away any military shooter out there.

i be willing to pay full price for that remaster.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2011, 16:40 zirik

LightAssassin wrote on Jul 18, 2011, 11:27:
We should all expect, more memory to be leaked into! Yay progress!

yeah no kidding. every new version adds features that take more RAM but they never fix the memory leaks.

News Comments > Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon
13. Re: Quoteworthy - Ubisoft on PC Ghost Recon Jul 18, 2011, 16:31 zirik

he emergence of online business models has brought back the opportunity to produce something dedicated to PC fans

translation... the console market is stagnating so we need another venue to make up for the lost income. the next gen wont be out probably until 2015 according to some online sites. so we can expect to see more of these stop gap games for at least a couple of years.

News Comments > IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September?
19. Re: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September? Jul 17, 2011, 19:22 zirik

Shadowcat wrote on Jul 17, 2011, 09:44:
theres not a lot of modern helicopter to turn into a sim.
Even assuming we're only talking combat roles, there are plenty of helicopters which would make for great simulations (also, "modern" might refer more to the simulation than the helicopter being simulated).

yes i was talking about combat helicopters since the cliffs of dover is a combat flight sim. you say plenty of helicopters to choose from? we only have the hokum, tiger, and cobra left after the apache and kamov. the last two have and will be done on the DCS series. scouts are not gonna be popular. neither will be the troop carrying hinds. otherwise we would have seen those a long time ago. so besides a handful of combat helicopters what else do you suggest?

News Comments > IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September?
13. Re: IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Add-on in September? Jul 16, 2011, 18:04 zirik

DangerDog wrote on Jul 16, 2011, 16:15:
I read on the official 1C forums that he hadn't been involved with IL2 for quite some time, he was debugging firmware on Cannon digital cameras or some such. He's working with another developer making a modern helicopter sim now, I think.

theres not a lot of modern helicopter to turn into a sim. whats he gonna do? work on an apache add on for DCS? might as well go the tom clancy way. slap his name on anything to sell it.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 15, 2011, 11:33 zirik

CommunistHamster wrote on Jul 14, 2011, 20:53:
Why were top secret military tech blueprints on a PC on a network connected to the internet in any way?!

that contractor should lose the govt certification for classified projects. firms that work on classified materials are required to disconnect computers from any network and store removable hard drives in a fireproof safe at the end of each day. not to mention keep backup files in an armored truck that changes location on a daily basis.

but knowing the how the govt works. that firm will simply fire a few employees and then change its name in order to get more contracts from the military.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Frequent flyer Thomas Stuker clocks up 10 million air miles Jul 13, 2011, 17:27 zirik

10 million miles and he is still not a member of the mile high club. they should provide him with a larger lavatory.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2011, 18:35 zirik

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2011, 16:04:
We go through over 20 lbs of birdseed in the feeder every week

Goddamn!

i used to have over a hundred white king doves in a large cage in our backyard when i was young. the dried corn and pellets i feed them dont amount to 20 lbs a week. and i dont think birds eat every ounce of it. might be smaller rodents that blue is not aware of feeds on the 20 lbs of birdseed.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2011, 18:42.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Specs?
60. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 9, 2011, 12:50 zirik

EA is asking for a fairly recent PC to play their game. but are they going to provide an experience worthy of the requirement? will they make larger MP maps for the PC or are we going to get truncated versions like the consoles? the MP maps they have demoed so far only shows a COD like map. close quarters for a few players. not the 32 vs 32 we normally see on a battlefield game.  

54. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 9, 2011, 03:48 zirik

bhcompy wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 21:57:
zirik wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 20:05:
PacoTaco wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:51:
EA just fucked themselves on this one, the stock should drop after the forecast is cut by 50%. No XP, FU EA!

i can sympathize with the XP users. why is it that EA can make the game run on the 360 and PS3 which basically have the same visuals as DX9 while PC users are forced to upgrade to vista. at least allow XP users to turn down the visuals to console levels in order to play the game.

Err, maybe you missed the PS3 demo they played on Jimmy Failon. It is a very obvious downgrade in visual quality

yes i saw the PS3 demo. its plastered all over youtube. thats why i suggested they allow XP users to turn down (downgrade) visual quality to console (360/PS3) level.

35. Re: Battlefield 3 Specs? Jul 8, 2011, 20:05 zirik

PacoTaco wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 19:51:
EA just fucked themselves on this one, the stock should drop after the forecast is cut by 50%. No XP, FU EA!

i can sympathize with the XP users. why is it that EA can make the game run on the 360 and PS3 which basically have the same visuals as DX9 while PC users are forced to upgrade to vista. at least allow XP users to turn down the visuals to console levels in order to play the game.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 8, 2011, 17:31 zirik

Jim wrote on Jul 8, 2011, 10:53:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

it is sad to see the shuttle program come to an end. i guess its time to start reminiscing about its glory days. i remember visiting the analog backup ground control at rockwell space systems division in downey, california. its also the same location (and i hope they kept it) of the huge pool where they tested water landings of the capsule that carried the astronauts of the apollo program.

im still looking for a good place to donate my only shuttle program souvenir. its the brochure handed out to those who attended the roll out ceremony of the only shuttle not to fly into space. the enterprise was used to test the flight characteristics of the shuttle during its glide back to earth.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 7, 2011, 22:00 zirik

yeah. its amazing he resisted opening them up. maybe he has two sets. one for collecting and one for playing.  

8. 5 Pro-Marijuana Arguments That Aren't Helping Jul 7, 2011, 17:59 zirik

article is so misinformed about why people with cancer want to smoke pot. smoking pot for cancer patients is not meant to cure them. its to help them regain their appetite. one of the side effects of chemotherapy is the lack of appetite because your sense of taste is gone. combine that with the constant feeling of nausea and its no wonder cancer patients lose weight fast during treatment.  

2213 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo