Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zirik

Real Name zirik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2003, 10:10
Total Comments 2213 (Senior)
User ID 16699

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 21, 2011, 02:49 zirik

hmm... that "Search once and see what's related." thing will probably yield a ton of worthless results. i want a 'PLEASE HAMMER, DONT HURT EM' option!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 19, 2011, 16:41 zirik

advertisers probably asked facebook to verify their data. who is stupid enough to count visitors who never log in or play a game to be active users. next they should verify if kids are using multiple fake profiles. that should cut facebook population in half if not more.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. movie camera 1888-2011 Oct 14, 2011, 11:15 zirik

movies might be presented on digital cinema projectors but film still has an advantage for shooting movies with the amount of detail it can capture.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 in a Movie Theater
3. Re: Battlefield 3 in a Movie Theater Oct 13, 2011, 01:25 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 12, 2011, 23:32:
If I had once choice, between the movie or the game, the movie would win.

no kidding. they dont need bf3 to get peoples interest in the movie. the trailer does a great job already. i just wish we didnt have to wait so long for the movie to hit the theaters.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2011, 22:18 zirik

blue gonna start jogging across the entire country for no reason at all?  

13. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 20:24 zirik

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:13:
Which is why Oklahoma (fuckers) and Michigan have now put Bills into action that mandate Amazon to report all sales to all OK and MI inhabitants to the respective state IRS offices.

unfortunately a lot of states are starting to pass "amazon" laws. the argument in support of online use tax for out of state online retailers is bogus. there are no jobs lost to online retailers when your consumer base cannot support through sales volume the physical presence of a retail store. i hope amazon takes their cause to the supreme court to determine how use tax obtained from online sales will benefit businesses who dont file income tax at states other than where they operate. the supreme court should force the states that collect use tax to invest the money into municipal broadband and then redefine internet access as a commodity. that would be fair but then major telcos will shit their pants.

12. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:43 zirik

Funkinator wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:32:
You are wrong. Each state is a little different, but here is my state.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/sales_tax.html

you missed the part under the "Who Must Pay Tax?". it says "Importing goods from any state or foreign country, for sale at retail". amazon does not have a retail establishment in florida.

10. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:20 zirik

Creston wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 17:13:
You're supposed to file sales taxes on stuff over which you didn't pay sales tax when you purchased it,

it is not the responsibility of the consumer because businesses are supposed to file/pay sales tax based on their estimated income per quarter. if consumers end up with the burden then everyone will be eligible to file an itemized tax return. the abuses that would result from that practice will make the IRS shit their pants with a huge backlog of audits up their ass.

my problem with forcing amazon to collect sales tax in a state they do not operate locally is the fact that they do not benefit from the revenue generated by the local govt. one of the main reason sales tax are collected is to maintain and provide infrastructure for businesses. since UPS and other shipping companies already collect sales tax on their services that is where the govt should stop. in essence what connecticut et al wants is to double tax the same purchase by the consumer.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 17:31.

8. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 17:05 zirik

mag wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 16:19:
It's paid by the purchaser for being there. In most (all?) states with sales tax, you are already required to report mail/internet-order purchases on your yearly taxes. If you aren't, you're breaking the law.

no, consumers are not required to file sales taxes they paid. even if they are doing itemized filing of income tax. and i think you are confusing the process of collecting sales tax on services provided by businesses with sales tax paid for by consumers.

and just to be clear. i dont think you understand the issue here with amazon. they do collect sales tax on states where they have local operations like washington state and kentucky. they dont have a local operation in conecticut so they should not have to collect sales tax on items sold to that states residents.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2011, 17:15.

7. Re: Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 16:48 zirik

mag wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 16:19:
Sales tax isn't paid by the company for the pleasure of using the state's/locality's infrastructure.

where do you think they spend the sales tax collected from businesses? expensive muffins?

12. AT-AT costume Oct 10, 2011, 16:43 zirik

there should be one with two humans inside. but the one walking behind should be well ventilated.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Free software founder, Richard M. Stallman is glad Jobs is gone. Oct 10, 2011, 16:08 zirik

yuastnav wrote on Oct 10, 2011, 14:34:
Haha, yeah right.
Somehow everyone says that.
Well, I grant you that Jobs was a clever businessman and had some nifty ideas.
Was he an inventor? Doubtful.

yeah some 300+ patents under his name which resulted in actual products is not considered inventions.

5. Amazon Tax Dispute Oct 10, 2011, 15:36 zirik

im tired of the states who double dip on taxing consumers. companies who dont use local infrastructure should not have to pay local tax. amazon does not use connecticut infrastructure; i.e. roads, health services or even tax breaks, etc. UPS and other shipping companies do. so they are the ones who include state sales tax in their service. if amazon was the one operating the shipping operations for the delivery of their products to their customers then by all means they should pay state sales tax. but as of right now the states who have no obligation to give services or provide access to infrastructure to employees from companies who dont have local operations like amazon should not have the right to ask for state sales tax.  

5. How to exit a car in Russia...like a boss. Oct 9, 2011, 15:39 zirik

in russia you dont avoid accidents. the accidents avoid you.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2011, 15:21 zirik

i started visiting blue back in the day when no other gaming site would cover mac gaming. blue did not provide daily updates on the porting status of mac games but it was enough to keep me coming back until i finally got a dedicated pc for gaming. heres to 15 more years!  

News Comments > RAGE Patched
12. Re: RAGE Patched Oct 9, 2011, 15:07 zirik

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 14:47:
No but i hear the next patch adds automatic uninstall after the credits

did you mean automatic uninstall if you can get past the intro?

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
237. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 15:00 zirik

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 13:48:
2) Carmack is a perfectionist and very curious.

too bad his attention span is limited to consoles and probably to his space project toy.

236. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 14:58 zirik

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 11:20:
Creston wrote on Oct 8, 2011, 22:37:
Patch allows for ultra-spectacular new visuals! :p

Haggar's place never looked better!

Check out the details on those sunglasses!

Creston

So that's what it would be like if we hadn't developed textures and instead stuck with dithering, like in Stunt Island.

Viva la Stunt Island!

you forgot to mention the megatextured sky!

218. Re: id On RAGE Oct 9, 2011, 01:53 zirik

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2011, 01:09:
On a sidenote: I can confirm that the OpenGL Triple Buffer is what's fucking the game with the latest patch. Without it activated, I can play without issues. With it on, I can play for ~ 2 seconds before it freezes up.

i thought id software stopped using opengl for their games in favor of direct x. didnt carmack mention it on an interview regarding tech 5? he said the draft status of the latest opengl library is hurting developers. maybe the lack of support and unfinished standard is whats causing all these problems.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 6, 2011, 19:42 zirik

peteham wrote on Oct 6, 2011, 11:22:
Re: The Internet Reacts to the Death of Steve Jobs, one can only hope thousands of rabid Apple fanbois are en route to purge the taint of Margie Phelps and her lunatic inbred friends from this world as we speak...

the irony is that she sent the tweet using her iPhone. oh hell she didnt!

2213 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo