Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zirik

Real Name zirik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2003, 10:10
Total Comments 2213 (Senior)
User ID 16699

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 18, 2012, 19:34 zirik

i prefer the original windows 1.0 logo. the new logo is too literal. it says nothing about technology and could be mistaken for house window installers instead of a tech company. whoever designed the new logo made a convincing argument to sell microsoft an ugly concept.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Karateka Remake This Year
10. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:29 zirik

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/02/karateka-remake/

hurrah for keeping the silent movie style on the remake. boohoo for not keeping the surprises of the original like falling off the cliff or getting killed by the princess if you approach her in a fighting stance.

9. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:21 zirik

forgot to mention that the box art on karateka looked like a movie poster. i wish i had kept my copy. anyone still have one in pristine condition? care to scan and upload it for all of us old timers?  

6. Re: Karateka Remake This Year Feb 18, 2012, 16:06 zirik

first played karateka on a monochrome apple computer and later in color on the commodore 64. have lots of fond memories playing that game. hardest part for me was learning how to get past the spiked gate that drops inside the castle. later learned you can trip it first then run into it or walk past at the right moment as it draws up. i hope the remake doesnt turn it into a button mashing affair.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 14, 2012, 21:58 zirik

so basically it takes an mjpeg movie and compares one frame to another to determine what is stationary in the background and what moves. it can only remove moving objects.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 13, 2012, 19:32 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 17:50:
Had the chance to pick up a 3DS for 20 bucks (at gamestop) and while I always have a craving for the JRPG Pokemon series, I plan on picking up Zelda as well. Anyone suggest anything for the 3DS?

how the hell did you manage to get a 3DS for 20 bucks? its an impulse buy at that price! i want one too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2012, 22:39 zirik

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 22:06:

Well, it was only when she and Bobby Brown hooked up it all went down hill. It's odd, but true, some people shouldn't be together as they are just bad for each other.

It's sad, but from everything I've read, that's a very accurate description.

i wonder if they are gonna do an impromptu tribute at the grammys tomorrow. she was supposed to attend the ceremonies.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 19:37 zirik

killer_roach wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 14:48:
You know something is fundamentally messed up when you are able to snag an external hard drive from Walmart or Meijer cheaper than you could from Newegg (and that was the case until they restocked their supplies).

haha. i noticed that too. its really messed up that best buys and walmart had cheaper external drives than bare drives from newegg or frys.

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2012, 19:34 zirik

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:14:
28% must be averaged out over a period of time. Right after the floods prices doubled in some cases. Mechanical hdds that is, SSDs weren't affected.

before the flood i could buy a 2tb drive for $75 at frys. now i cant even find one for less than $129.

News Comments > Steam Breach Follow-up
44. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 19:28 zirik

Sepharo wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 19:17:
Where are you getting all this?

just comparing what we do to our backup database at work. nobody gets access to it other than the IT guys. and even then it has to be done at a specific terminal in the server room. on a system with full audit enabled to track all activity. no remote access allowed.

43. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 19:21 zirik

avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:55:
Why is no one bringing up the infamous breach at Valve were Gabe's office desktop was hacked with a worm that Gabe himself inadvertently installed and left running for months? Thereby causing the theft of HL2 before release. Not a good precedent for Valve.

thats what i was thinking earlier when i thought hl2 came out in 2005. the source code theft forced valve to delay the release to late nov 2004. i got my copy through a graphics card bundle but the steam card wasnt mailed to me until jan 2005.

41. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 19:16 zirik

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 13:36:
avianflu wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 12:55:
Let's NOT leave Valve off the hook: every time there is a credit card breach in the news
Good news then. It was just salted hashes they got in the credit card category. Unlike sony that stored everything in PLAIN TEXT.

if the thief got into their backup database what makes you think they did not try to get the encryption keys to get past the hashed data?

40. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 19:14 zirik

alvador wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 09:19:
From the email I received:
We've recently learned that it is probable that in 2009 the intruders obtained a copy of a database with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008.
So, it WAS 3 years ago that the data was stolen, and that data was 4-8 years old (or, 1-5 years old at the time it was stolen). It became obvious to everyone that something had happened in Nov 2011- what's not clear is how soon Valve knew something had happened.

edit- Re-reading the email they say they became aware of it on Nov 6 2011. So, it apparently took the intruders 2 years to do something with the database.

the intruders were probably using credentials of someone from valve to access the database. what would be interesting to know is does valve regularly check who retrieves backup files. if they were careful that backup database should have been on a separate system with full audit enabled. but it seems they have no idea who took it and with what credentials since they dont know how deep the damage goes.

29. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 07:47 zirik

yuastnav wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 07:40:
Half Life 2 was released in 2004.

ah ok. late 2004.

27. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 07:28 zirik

Dev wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 06:38:
The Backup had data from 2004-2008. Thats NOT the date of the intrusion.

Show me another company that notified within a week of a major hack/data theft incident of what went down and what was taken.

You are also confused about steam. Steam started with counterstrike original, around version 1.5 or 1.6

protip: RTFA, or at least the summary.

i misunderstood the gabe quote. but you are trying to downplay the data theft. they notified us of the forums breach within 4-5 days. not the data theft. and no im not confused about steam, you are. it was only used for downloading updates and patches before half life 2 came out. and it was also optional for counterstrike 1.6. so my question still stands. what transactions are they talking about that dated back to 2004 prior to half life 2 in 2005.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 11, 2012, 06:25 zirik

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 14:13:
Heh, nice try Blue, but I can't get Rick Rolled that easily.

haha. wonder if you can download it and rename the file so that unsuspecting players can get rick rolled.

23. Re: Steam Breach Follow-up Feb 11, 2012, 06:20 zirik

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 04:46:
I think it's unfair to characterise their security as "lax" when many of the biggest players in the industry have been taken down. Anonymous regularly takes down the CIA website. Could Valve's security be improved? Obviously. But it was all encrypted and users were notified of the issue.

its also unfair to compare a DDOS attack to a data breach. the CIA could care less if their site is offline due to denial of service as long as none of their systems have been compromised. valve notified users 3 years after the last data breach. how many more do they know of that is not admitted? they dont do audits of their secure database on a yearly basis? they have been compromised right from the very beginning. remember steam started or picked up in popularity when half life 2 came out in 2005. the data theft started in 2004. also wondering what they were selling on steam in 2004. hmm.

22. Re: jtw321@gmail.com Feb 11, 2012, 06:11 zirik

Flatline wrote on Feb 11, 2012, 03:23:
It also emailed straight to me. However, they have done something intolerable. This is what the email said:

We've recently learned that it is probable that in 2009 the intruders obtained a copy of a database with information about Steam transactions between 2004 and 2008.

Dude, this breach happened THREE YEARS AGO and they just "found out about it" in the recent past. Which is, to put it mildly, a cock-up of epic proportions.

seems standard procedure for companies to deny customers notification about data theft in a timely manner. i dont buy the investigation is pending crap as a reason for not notifying customers. valve is a huge company with lots of resources. they can do two things at once.

i was tempted to use one of those identity theft protection services but they dont work. my sister uses lifelock and she still gets calls from banks who claim she opened up a new account or loan with them. lifelock doesnt even alert her of those activities which leads me to believe their service is worthless.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2012, 17:08 zirik

Kitkoan wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 16:28:
"Saucy dog head ad complaint dismissed" is a double post. Its both here and in Morning Legal Briefs.

it must be that good to be double posted.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 9, 2012, 23:09 zirik

its the starbucks environmentally friendly toilet.  

2213 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo