Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for zirik

Real Name zirik   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 11, 2003, 10:10
Total Comments 2213 (Senior)
User ID 16699

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
16. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 10:02 zirik

CommunistHamster wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 05:38:
We're clearly not post-racism because trivial stuff like this still makes headlines.

no we're not. the day blacks in the north east corner of our country stop referring to my eldest son as "jap boy" in school because of his eyes is the day when i will care about what genetic material lies underneath a dark skinned individual. it even surprised me that the words "jap boy" didnt alarm his black teachers. until then, lets just enjoy the simplicity of identifying by skin color.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
13. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jun 4, 2012, 04:12 zirik

Klaus Flouride wrote on Jun 4, 2012, 01:39:
She is Creole or Cajun at best, not black. The title of the article is misleading. Stupid ass media can't even tell the difference between someone who is mix and someone who isn't. Next they will be saying Ezio is white.

the article did mention her origin so i dont know why you say they are misleading. i know using the word black is a broad generalization but its done to other races as well. take it for what its worth. they got your attention but not enough to read the article.

The game is subtitled Liberation, and it will feature a French woman of African descent named Aveline in the Louisiana city of New Orleans.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
28. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 3, 2012, 14:13 zirik

Krovven wrote on Jun 3, 2012, 13:59:
Aside from lending some troops as assistance to the Brits, the US did not officially enter the war until 1941 when Japan declared war on the US and attacked Pearl Harbour. Again, nothing to do with Democracy.

dont forget the american volunteer group (AKA the flying tigers) who became part of the chinese air force. they helped keep the burma road open for china. china was not democratic before the war. they certainly did not convert after.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jun 2, 2012, 21:00 zirik

Cutter wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 18:52:
MadBoris wrote on Jun 2, 2012, 18:43:
You've all just found that most elusive political thing called TRUTH!

NOT!

Isn't Iran like a sworn enemy to the death of the US or something?

Eh, anyway, nothing to see here that doesn't probably happen everyday somewhere.

We have yet another day of gaming until we all blow up someday, huzzah!

Yeah, but that sort of thing tends to happen when a foreign government topples your own government and installs a brutal dictator for its own purposes and also forces other countries into going to war with you once you get rid of said dictator. America is not now, nor has it ever been a force for democracy. American foreign policy has always been about 'Do as I say, not as I do.'

reminds me of the documentary i watched about the genocide in rwanda. a congressman was once asked why america didnt send troops to stop the mass killing. his response was "the united states has no friends. the united states has interests. and in the united states, there is no interest in rwanda." the genocide started because american trained tutsi rebels assassinated the hutu president. but since the tutsi were puppets to western politics they were never brought to trial after the conflict and their leader became the president of rwanda.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Deadbolt locks Jun 1, 2012, 16:55 zirik

jdreyer wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 16:45:
That's an eye-opener. And a door-opener.

yeah its a bit scary how easy it is to open deadbolt locks. i wonder if the good ones are counterfeit. they are out of production and still sold on ebay.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 1, 2012, 13:40 zirik

nin wrote on Jun 1, 2012, 09:58:
I'm almost disappointed I won't be hearing about your west coast adventures, but it's totally understandable you don't want to move away from family, friends

couldnt agree more. being far away from family and friends could weigh in more than a career move. of all the places i have lived in i prefer the evergreen state for its beauty and clean air. but i always end up going back to smoggy southern california because thats where my family lives.

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2012, 20:21 zirik

what is the verdict for the option to move to california for the blues household? it doesnt seem good since mrs blue is anxious to return with no mention about the visit.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 23, 2012, 19:10 zirik

Veterator wrote on May 23, 2012, 18:50:
Sounds like FCC chairman hasn't really looked into what the monopoly ISPs are doing with these "tiers"

what do you expect? obama keeps appointing former lobbyists into regulatory positions.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 08:48 zirik

theyarecomingforyou wrote on May 22, 2012, 05:11:
zirik wrote on May 21, 2012, 21:27:
microsoft can have bungie. they ran out of original ideas a long time ago. halo just keeps rehashing marathon story about rampant AI against alien race who poses powers that can destroy planetary systems.
You say that but how much of the design was based upon Microsoft's say-so?

i thought bungie already had the halo story down before acquisition by microsoft. bungie didnt even hide marathon references in halo. the next halo multiplayer game has the same name as the last marathon game called infinity. they really couldnt think of anything else?

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
15. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 22, 2012, 02:25 zirik

Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:32:
I am east of L.A. I can't even get DSL (20+K ft.). I read Verizon stopped deploying. I guess they finally resumed again. Where are they deploying now?

they just finished large areas of long beach and nearby cities. my brother said verizon FIOS sales reps were knocking on doors last week offering intro prices for triple play at $89 with a two year contract plus a $200 gift card. thats a better deal than i was offered here on the east coast. and i never got the $50 gift card promised by the sales lady. after FIOS was installed i could never get a hold of her and she never returned my calls regarding the gift card.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2012, 21:27 zirik

microsoft can have bungie. they ran out of original ideas a long time ago. halo just keeps rehashing marathon story about rampant AI against alien race who poses powers that can destroy planetary systems.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 21, 2012, 19:50 zirik

dardin wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:54:
Four days without the wife. That my friend is called a man vacation.

good thing blue doesnt have kids to take care of.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2012, 19:46 zirik

they should just make the control pad a portable gaming system with the ability to connect wireless onto a station that will handle 1080p output to a TV. i dont mind having buttons on a tablet gaming system. tapping a touch screen constantly gets painful quicker than buttons. plus sticks and buttons wont make your fingers cover part of the screen during gameplay.  

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:26 zirik

Ant wrote on May 21, 2012, 03:54:
NKD wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:40:
AnointedSword wrote on May 20, 2012, 18:59:
How about get it to everyone before you start upgrading!

Verizon stopped rolling out new FIOS locations almost 2 years ago AFAIK.
Which pisses me off because they are in my cities that I want to get in my neighborhoods. Argh!

theyre not stopping expansion on the west coast. verizon just finished laying down fiber in a few cities around los angeles. where you at?

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 21, 2012, 19:20 zirik

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 00:42:
$80 a month for what just tested as 35/6 from Comcast

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1962715989.png

is that just internet or with basic tv? i had comcast internet with basic tv for $89 last year. after the intro offer it went up to $100. then we added premium channels for $20 more. i was happier with comcast than with FIOS. on-demand on comcast is vastly superior to FIOS. comcast keeps new shows longer and posts them sooner than FIOS. and did you try testing using dslreports? speedtest.net cannot be relied upon anymore because they only feature affiliates who use packet compression that skew the test results. oh and comcast just suspended the 250gb cap pending a review of their policy. they must have realized a cap will not help their attempt to restrict netflix traffic while offering a similar service.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2012, 19:28.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2012, 22:06 zirik

MadBoris wrote on May 20, 2012, 16:43:
I'm a new puppy owner so I can relate...

I remember Hudson doesn't like thunder
One thing that is nice about LA area, almost no thunder storms ever, short and quiet if there are.

the only problem is for an old dog who is not used to tiny aftershocks/earthquakes. i wonder how hudson reacted to last years quake that was felt all the way up to new york.

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 21:35 zirik

The Half Elf wrote on May 20, 2012, 21:04:
zirik wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:48:

dont worry. they throttle traffic depending on what site you visit so that speed bump wont matter. im supposed to get 15mbps but the most i have seen it on youtube or hulu is 2.6mbps. amazon streaming is even worse. and if you think the TV quality will be better than cable then you will be disappointed. on-demand is lethargic and their channel per package lineup is pathetic. i used to get three history channels, the military channel and three national geographics on the premium package with cable. i got none of that with the premium of fios.

speedtest.net?

just tested now. 24 down 5 up on a local server. 24 down and 3 up coast to coast. they dont show non-affiliated servers anymore. those show true speed because they dont recognize compression "turbo" schemes that verizon and comcast uses. using dslreports test gave me a warning about compression on my end. it gave me an adjusted speed of 6mb down/768k up using the sprint server from illinois.

EDIT: this is sad. after repeated tests the verizon throttling kicks in. i now get 3mb down. lol.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2012, 21:46.

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 20:50 zirik

NKD wrote on May 20, 2012, 20:40:

Verizon stopped rolling out new FIOS locations almost 2 years ago AFAIK.

theyre still expanding in the west coast. my brother just got a pitch from a verizon guy last week.

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 20, 2012, 20:48 zirik

dont worry. they throttle traffic depending on what site you visit so that speed bump wont matter. im supposed to get 15mbps but the most i have seen it on youtube or hulu is 2.6mbps. amazon streaming is even worse. and if you think the TV quality will be better than cable then you will be disappointed. on-demand is lethargic and their channel per package lineup is pathetic. i used to get three history channels, the military channel and three national geographics on the premium package with cable. i got none of that with the premium of fios.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2012, 20:56 zirik

sauron wrote on May 18, 2012, 15:13:
nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:23:
Oh, and just remember: no matter what happens you'll have thousands of complete strangers (some of them with borderline stalker tendencies) who still love you!

nin, does your van have enough gas to get all the way out to California? Maybe we should take up a collection.

great, nin has a van. but does it have shag carpet and lava lamps inside?

2213 Comments. 111 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo