Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for CultureShock

Real Name CultureShock   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 2, 2003, 03:21
Total Comments 73 (Suspect)
User ID 16637

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
36. Valve Betray Customers For Money! Sep 11, 2003, 16:16 CultureShock

Thanks for dragging me out of retirement Draz.

I am and always have been an advocate of good design that meets the needs of the customer above and beyond short term gain. While you might never agree with me, history has taught it's a bad idea to bet against me. For the good of the gamer and developer, I don't support the mandatory requirement for STEAM in single player and LAN party games. The idea is only sound when taken from a limited perspective that excludes real world practicalities of the customer. This renders the implementation as merely an inconvenient experiment and your claims to put the customer first as no more than just another cog in a slick spin doctoring machine. After robbing customers of their connection and performance details this last plan to exploit customers by drawing them into some grand rights management experiment is a theft too far. It's this sort of disrespect and lack of attention to detail that is corroding western society, culture, business, and politics, and virtually guarantees we're going nowhere. Welcome to the New World Order.

This post is dedicated to Anna Lindh who died today.

"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Half-Life 2 Graphics
38. Re: LMFAO! Jul 24, 2003, 15:12 CultureShock

as if any of you would be able to snag a girl like that in real life. yeah, everyone's picky when they are on the internet, just like every guy here will quickly claim he stands at 6'4", benches 350lb, and is hung like a silverback gorilla.

The business end of a gorilla is about the size of a peanut.

News Comments > On Core Encore
2. Look At Them Yo-Yo's Jul 16, 2003, 15:28 CultureShock

Judging by the way he's handled himself in public, I think it's a pretty fair bet Jeremy Heath-Smith has a cocaine problem. Long hours job, self-absorption, more money than sense, and crazy bullshit. Yup, JHS is a coke head. Reality's caught up and Tomb Raider: AoD is the hangover. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not the only one at Eidos/Core suffering from that little demon.  

News Comments > French XIII Demo
28. Re: The game so far Jul 16, 2003, 08:37 CultureShock

Ok, having been one of the hardest critics of the game, here's my take on the demo...

After the first batch of screenshots and demo movie, it was clearly heading into polished turd territory, and I'm on record as saying that. Personally, I don't think the cell shading is well done, the level design isn't interesting, and the comic book signposting is a gimmick that will tire fast. Without an interesting story this game's no more than a hardware friendly tech demo.

News Comments > Cut to the Core
10. Re: Told You So Jul 15, 2003, 18:47 CultureShock

sounds like you were right. A pity because, as I've said two or three times on these boards, at least three of the TR games (1, 2 and TLR) struck me as gems, though 3 and 5 did somewhat stink.

I'll go with one and two, and keep my opinions of the others to myself. Fewer useless arguments that way. Better to look forward.

Ah well. I'm going to keep half an eye on patch releases, because if the game is controllable, I'd probably enjoy playing it through however compromised, but it sounds like it's virtually unplayable at present.

Fair comment. TR:AoD could do with a 'directors cut' patch, available as a free download, with retail being completely replaced. To be honest, they should bury the TR:AoD story arc and start from scratch. I have a sneaky suspicion they could benefit from using the Judge Dredd engine next time around, and I'm not just saying that for effect.

News Comments > Cut to the Core
8. Told You So Jul 15, 2003, 14:02 CultureShock

I said this game was going to be a polished turd, though mainly for design reasons not bugs. The biggest sign to me was the supposed mature and 'edgy' story, that was really quite immature and a huge design failure. That Heath-Smith is bouncing from one well paid job to another is a gross insult, especially as you don't shake off the level of arrogance and stupidity he suffered from with any degree of rapidity.  

News Comments > America's Army Update
30. Re: CIA (Confused In America) Jul 7, 2003, 07:21 CultureShock

Looks like the conservatives are really fishing for excuses for their bad government. Be better off if Clinton were still in office not this dumbass bush who has screwed up the government and the world.

And Al Gore was the far better candidate. Fact is, if you kept all your shit in your own backyard it wouldn't matter that much. Problem is, George Bush is a retard when it comes to upsetting the rest of the world. It will all end in tears.

News Comments > America's Army Update
16. Re: No subject Jul 6, 2003, 06:05 CultureShock

I'm from Europe, so it's free for me. Haven't downloaded it, though, and hell - if I liked it I'd probably be embarrased to admit it.

I refused to download it. If it were "European Army" do you think the yanks would've given one collective inch of print to it? Nope.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Lawsuit
49. Re: asdf Jul 3, 2003, 02:54 CultureShock

Space: Above and Beyond was a good show.

Shame it was cancelled. Lexx was brilliant.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Lawsuit
42. Re: not a trekkie - but am a sci-fi fan Jul 2, 2003, 02:44 CultureShock

I guess Q just didn't know about it? Ah omnipotence, such a drag.

Omniscience.

Your choice, but you're missing out on the best science fiction ever produced for television.

Blake's 7 and Space 1999 fans might disagree.

Though it had its interesting moments, I found the Star Trek series became increasingly banal as time went by. TNG became an irritating bore as time went by. DS9 started of boring, got exciting, then became boring again. STV slipped on a banana skin and never stopped falling. STE never left the launch pad.

The only thing worse than a jaded viewer is a jaded producer.

News Comments > Games & The Law
9. Re: US EMPIRE BREATHES VIOLENCE AND DEATH Jun 25, 2003, 13:36 CultureShock

I am not anti-USA, I am anti-empire! I would love to see America actually come to fruition! The bill of rights is the only thing keeping us from becomming a total plutocracy, and it is being attacked and shredded at every turn.

Confirming once again that the European Union is the land of milk and honey.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits - New CATALYST Drivers
5. Re: woo Jun 23, 2003, 22:54 CultureShock

Here's an easier to read release notes page:

http://pdownload.mii.instacontent.net/ati/drivers/Catalyst_35_Release_Notes.html

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits - New CATALYST Drivers
3. Re: woo Jun 23, 2003, 22:52 CultureShock

they just plop new ones out without any mention of why they felt the need to.

That's what the release notes are for.

http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/winxp/radeonnowdm-xp.html?cboOS=Windows+XP&cboProducts=RADEON+9700+PRO&eula=&choice=agree&cmdNext=Next

News Comments > Take Two versus Duke
61. Re: 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 19:32 CultureShock

Theseus? Nope. 'Tis the real McCoy.  

58. 1001 Piss Takes Of The Trademark Jun 16, 2003, 08:57 CultureShock

3DR should have shut their mouths about the game and instead of their 'when it's done' motto should be more like 'not to be done in your lifespan.'

That's funny.

1. When it's done?
2. Whenever it's done.
3. When will it be done?
4. Why can't it be done?
5. It's done... whenever.
6. When it's dumped.
7. When it's delayed.
8. What's to be done?
9. OMFG we're undone!
10. Will it run?

That should start you off...

55. Re: nukem Jun 15, 2003, 06:08 CultureShock

I dont think following Daikatan's plan is a good idea, look were it got its development team... all fired.

3D Realms haven't been updating their employee listings page and took it down a few days ago. Sounds like they're just showing they're another anonymous corporation that wants your money, or they're trying to hide the staff churn.

47. Re: planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 11:02 CultureShock

With only seeing what Goerge had to say to you (I am not a 3DR fanboy), don't you think you are a bit biased?

No. George only just locked one of his "contain and control" threads because someone pointed it out to them, and another comment highlighted how they like to diss any post that's critical as a troll or a flame, even when just cause doesn't exist. It's all about spin control.

45. Re: planting the seeds Jun 12, 2003, 09:18 CultureShock

Prediction here. What this article and these other rumors are really about is planting seeds for the future. If DNF comes out and bombs, they are planting seeds to place the blame.

That figures. Cast an eye over the 3DR forum and you'll find multiple examples of 3DR putting the blame on someone else where it's expedient, and they even diss their own fanboi's. It would be really cool if this game lost money. That'd teach 'em to treat everyone like a rube.

39. Re: The Lie Of The Bland Jun 11, 2003, 21:35 CultureShock

Yeah, I'm remembering that he said that the extend of his involvement in Max Payne was packing boxes so that the game would ship on time.

No, there's more. They sent a team over to Remedy. It knocked three months out of the DNF schedule. They didn't admit to this at the time, even though fingers were pointed, it slipped out after the noise had died down. Looks like they've gone back to the original spin.

How deep do the lies go George?

C'mon. Cough up you lying git.

37. Seedy Realms Jun 11, 2003, 20:33 CultureShock

Culture, its nothing personal and dont take this offensivly, but get over it man.

Nothing personal here either, I don't need people fretting themselves about the motives or level of energy put into my own posts.

Scott Miller and whoever is at take are sitting there smoking $20 cigars seeing nothing but dollar signs and pretty much stolen money. Personally, Id like to see the IRS get involved with this and investigate it because Im [sure] there are some very...deceptive...dealings going on here.

Yup. All the hot air being pushed around is all show, that's why they don't give a damn. Their iffy deals would make them the subject of investigation and penalty if they were ordinary people. Aaaah, the arrogance of wealth.

73 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo