Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Franklin Mason

Real Name Franklin Mason   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Shadrak
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 21, 2003, 14:40
Total Comments 9 (Suspect)
User ID 16535

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Dear Diaries
18. Re: Far cry for a super system? Mar 20, 2004, 22:01 Shadrak

ut2k4 maps take such a long time to load b/c, by default, all available skins are loaded. Go to ut2004.ini in the 2k4 system folder, and change desireskinpreload to false.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > UT2003 & UT2004 Incompatible
43. Strange Jan 20, 2004, 21:40 Shadrak

I find the majority of opinions here strange in the extreme. UT2k3, while not as ground-breaking as some might have wished, is a solid game. And if you like dm or ctf, it can't be beat. It has those little Miyamoto-like touches that make it a quality title - the double jump, the dodge, the boost dodge, the wall jump, the shock combo and so on. Perhaps you feel that you've moved on from games like 2k3, but there are plenty who still love 'em. My clan, sbd, has dozens of members and continues to grow, and we're there simply 'cause we find 2k3 so much damn fun.

And I'm not at all surprised that, given a 40% drop in required bandwith, network compability could not be feasibly maintained. Already good net code is about to become great, and I see no reason in that to complain.

Peace

(It gives me some peace of mind to know that I'm in the minority here. Even among such brilliant minds as post here, there is much to much me-too-ism in the condemnation of 2k3.)

News Comments > etc.
4. To verybad Dec 26, 2003, 08:31 Shadrak

It remains a fact that certain groups are systematically discriminated against. This is surely true of Haitians within the US. Many live in Miami, a city whose economy and dominated by the Cuban ex-patriot community. Cubans identify themselves with the dominate white culture of the US and deeply resent the influx of darker skinned peoples from place like Haiti. I've seen their racism up close; my wife is Cuban and we often travel to Miami. I suspect that you don't know much about these realities but just assume that Haitians have only themselves to blame for their troubles. This is simply false.

Tell me this: how would you react to such a negative portrayal of a group of which you were part if that group was a target of systematic discimination? I suspect that it'd made you mad as hell. You think of it as stereotyping, as scapegoating. And you'd be right.

Peace

News Comments > UT2003 Community Bonus Pack
20. No subject Oct 28, 2003, 22:07 Shadrak

Four

News Comments > UT2004 Pricing Plans
67. It Doesn't Suck Oct 16, 2003, 23:28 Shadrak

The concensus around here seems to be that ut2k3 sucks. I demur. Perhaps it didn't innovate in a way that many hoped for, but for pure dm fun it can't be beat. Weapon balance is much improved over the original ut, and it's not nearly as spammy as was the original. It's more quake-like than ut99, but only where it needed to be. It still has weapons with alt-fire, shock combos, head shots, dodges and all of what made ut99 such a joy. And it has more, especially in the way of movement: double jumps, dodge boost jumps, wall jumps, etc. Compared to all other dm options gamers have at present, its incredibly deep.

Part of the problem is that it's a difficult game to learn. I don't mean difficult to get a basic handle on the weapons and kill a few bots. It's difficult to begin to master the moves, weapons, maps etc and then begin to compete online. If you haven't played much, I can absolutely guarantee you that you would not be able to kill me, and I would be able to kill you at will.

And no the game isn't dead. It's a bit empty in the mornings, but in the evenings there are lots of good games played.

I have the feeling that most peeps here gave ut2k3 a quick try, found it different enough from ut that their skills didn't immediately transfer to the new game, assumed as a consequence that epic had screwed up and never gave the game a real shot. A pity, really. It's one of the best games released in the past year.

Peace

News Comments > Devastation Demo Fix
14. Re: I kinda enjoy.. Mar 22, 2003, 17:47 Shadrak

Dual guns? Dual enforcers in UT. A real fav of most peeps who play.

News Comments > Purge Multiplayer Demo
13. Innovative, but flawed in execution Mar 21, 2003, 14:23 Shadrak

Yes the idea is good-wedding a fps with classic rpg elements. But the execution is flawed. Player movement is too slow. Player animations are not as smooth as we should expect in a next-gen game. And taking and giving damamge, and fragging, just doesn't have that great ut/quake feel. Not visceral enough. I know that's vague, but I expect you'll know what I mean.

News Comments > Devastation Multiplayer Demo
34. Double Yuck Mar 21, 2003, 13:47 Shadrak

Just tried to optimize a bit by editing an .ini file. Didn't help a bit.

After the 4th crash I uninstalled it. They've really ruined the unreal engine. UT2k3 has crashed on me only once over about 200 hrs of play.

News Comments > Devastation Multiplayer Demo
18. Yuck Mar 21, 2003, 09:45 Shadrak

Terrible frame rates on a decent machine (go hide you head in a corner and it still is unacceptable), terrible weapon sounds, mostly unimaginative weapons, seemingly poor net code (though hard to judge-might be the servers), movement speed too slow. This game is gonna sink into obscurity very, very quickly. Can't begin to hold a candle to my current obsession, UT2k3.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 10:05.

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo