Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roberto

Real Name Roberto   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfox
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Gamer and master geek. I love games, computers, music, 3D, etc.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2003, 17:16
Total Comments 554 (Apprentice)
User ID 16448

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Combat Mission Vista Upgrades & Demos
6. Re: Combat Mission Vista Upgrades & Demos Jul 25, 2009, 17:23 Wolfox

Blue, thanks for the clarification, even though I already knew that, since I own both games.

All: don't get me wrong, I'm not boycotting Battlefront for this action alone... but this particular one pushed me over the edge. I've never liked the way they treat their customers, and this last action was the nail on the coffin. I'd rather give my money to more customer-friendly companies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Defense Grid: The Awakening Patched
1. Re: Defense Grid: The Awakening Patched Jul 24, 2009, 10:04 Wolfox

The patch killed sound for most (if not all) people. I'm sure they will fix it, but, right now, it's tower defense in outer space.  

News Comments > Combat Mission Vista Upgrades & Demos
1. Re: Combat Mission Vista Upgrades & Demos Jul 24, 2009, 10:02 Wolfox

$5.00 dollars for a patch to get your game working? That is it. Battlefront will NEVER see my money again.  

News Comments > Paradox Sale [Updated]
10. Re: Paradox Sale Jul 20, 2009, 14:48 Wolfox

I used to play EU1/2 but the AI troop ping-pong in EU3 drives me insane. I'm thinking about picking up Victoria and/or Crusader Kings because they seem more focused on nation-building than warfare. Anything I should know about these games before I buy?

I haven't played much of Victoria, though it's arguably the most complex of the Paradox Grand Strategy line.

Crusader Kings is the most "different" of the Paradox games, since it's actually focused on your dinasty. Though you do administer the provinces you control, it's significantly streamlined when compared with EU, since the focus is on your dinasty and its relations with other dinasties.

Combat is also streamlined - you don't train armies, you mobilize them when needed from your provinces; the army composition depends on the balance of the different social strata in your province. If you have more nobles in a certain province, you'll have more knights in the mobilized army, but nobles don't pay tax, so that province wil give you less money. It's a fun balancing game.

In combat, you'll see armies retreat here and there, but it doesn't feel as "ping-pong" as in EU3 - it feels more natural, somehow.

News Comments > Paradox Sale [Updated]
6. Re: Paradox Sale Jul 20, 2009, 12:59 Wolfox

Great sale. Crusader Kings (with the expansions) is one of my favorite games; all the Europa Universalis games (and its "spin-offs" like Victoria and Hearts of Iron) are pretty good, each in its own way. Sword of the Stars is my favorite 4X game (with all the expansions). Mount & Blade is pretty cool, though a bit too open-ended to some, in a "Morrowind-ish" kind of way.

I also have Elven Legacy and Galactic Assault, but I haven't played them yet (bought both on sales a while ago), but I hear they're good (or I wouldn't have bought them in the first place).

The bad thing about those sales is that I bought Europa Universalis: Rome Gold last week. If I had waited for another week, I'd get it for half the price. But that's life...

News Comments > Sacred 2: Ice & Blood Announced
9. Re: Sacred 2: Ice & Blood Announced Jul 7, 2009, 15:35 Wolfox

So far I still think that Titan Quest and its expansion are the kings of hack/slash RPG action.

For me, it was a tie between Titan Quest (with IT) and Sacred Gold (the first one - I haven't played the second), until I found Depths of Peril. If you like Action RPGs, give it a chance; you might like it too.

News Comments > LucasArts Classic Rereleases
34. Re: LucasArts Classic Rereleases Jul 6, 2009, 15:19 Wolfox

I was hoping they would release their classics on GOG.com. But Steam? Thanks, I'll pass.  

News Comments > New on GameTap
2. Re: New on GameTap Jul 3, 2009, 10:57 Wolfox

I don't know about GameTap, but Rogue Trooper is a great game.  

News Comments > Impulse Sales
6. Re: Impulse Sales Jul 1, 2009, 17:32 Wolfox

Considering that Friday is a holiday, and most weekend sales are announced on Thursday, getting this announcement a day early kind of makes sense.  

News Comments > Mythic & BioWare Combine, Mark Jacobs Departs
18. Re: Mythic & BioWare Jun 24, 2009, 16:01 Wolfox

Hey, the most fun I've had lately is playing indie games, and those will always be around. I'm not worried, though it's sad to see Bioware be finally assimilated into EA's biomass.

Yeah, I'm playing Prototype. Fun game.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 14:47 Wolfox

SotS doesn't have "Super Death Laser III" and then "Super Death Laser IV". That would be GalCiv 2. Though there are some upgrade paths in SotS in the research tree, those upgrades are much more than just the "more damage, less space" motto of GalCiv 2. Not only that: though research is important in SotS, what's most important is which technologies you choose and how you use them. In my experience, it's completely different from GalCiv 2, and also much better than Sins on that aspect, IMO.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Argos Naval Yard Jun 17, 2009, 13:56 Wolfox

Actually, SotS is my favorite 4X game. The "big picture" is considerably streamlined and turn-based; combat is real-time and very tactical (and goes beyond fleet composition, as is the case with Sins).

That being said, it's heavily combat-oriented, so you won't find much diplomacy in SotS (besides the basic war/peace/alliance stuff), and you won't get to develop your planets with buildings and such, but I personally prefer it that way.

All in all, it's fun. At least for me, more fun then Sins and GalCiv2.

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Details
9. Re: Max Payne 3 Details Jun 17, 2009, 11:34 Wolfox

São Paulo? WTH?

(For the record, I'm brazilian, and I've been to São Paulo quite a few times. It's a big, violent city, but it doesn't go well with noir, or with the kind of plot that we had in Max Payne 1 and 2)

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends
2. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate DRM Limit Ends Jun 16, 2009, 14:12 Wolfox

Too little, too late.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jun 13, 2009, 11:07 Wolfox

Sword of the Stars is, by far, my favorite 4X game, and one of my favorite games ever. It did improve with each expansion, and the Argos Naval Shipyard micro-expansion (to be released on the 17th) will probably enhance it even more.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2 Europe
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2 Europe Jun 12, 2009, 23:23 Wolfox

Keith, as others have said, combat in the 50's and even early 60's still had most of the "feeling" of old dogfights. Of course, jet fighters mean more power and speed, but generally you still have to maneuver until you are behind your opponent. Since SF2 covers everything from the mid-50's to the late 70's, you can go from WW2/Korean style dogfighting to BVR combat quite fluidily, enjoying the improvements in technology in the game itself as time passes. It's a great way to get used to the changed from WW2 dogfighting to modern air combat, and SF2 allows you to experience that without tons of hotkeys to memorize. It's probably the most fun flight sim experience I've had so far, and for that reason I highly recommend it.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2 Europe Jun 12, 2009, 14:57 Wolfox

It's basically the same game, with a few improvements in AI, modelling and cockpits.

There's a "quick mission generator" of sorts - a "create mission" option, though it's too high-level, in my personal opinion. There was a mission editor available for SF1 games called Le Missiouner, but it doesn't work correctly with the SF2 games. I'm planning on developing a mission editor for the SF2 series, however, but I don't know how long I'll take to do that.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Strike Fighters 2 Europe Jun 12, 2009, 11:27 Wolfox

I haven't tried the F-15A yet... I'm having too much fun playing the '62 scenario right now. I'm looking forward to it, though.

The SF2 series is most likely the most fun I've had so far with a flight simulator after Mig Alley. Highly recommended.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard Preorders
3. Re: Sword of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard Preorders Jun 11, 2009, 01:10 Wolfox

i thought the developer went tango uniform.

The publisher did, not the developer. And Paradox is now the new publisher for Kerberos.

News Comments > All Aspect Warfare Demo
18. Re: All Aspect Warfare Demo Jun 10, 2009, 17:46 Wolfox

Actually, the videos did tell me all I needed to know. Good luck, Mr. Smart - you'll need it.  

554 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo