Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roberto

Real Name Roberto   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfox
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Gamer and master geek. I love games, computers, music, 3D, etc.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2003, 17:16
Total Comments 507 (Apprentice)
User ID 16448

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Sword of the Stars Expansion Next Month
1. Re: Sword of the Stars Expansion Next Month May 22, 2009, 12:12 Wolfox

Fantastic game. I'll definitely buy this expansion.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ARMA II Next Month
24. Re: ARMA II Next Month May 18, 2009, 17:45 Wolfox

Actually, Derek raises a good point. He's a developer, after all (and you may not believe it, but he knows what's he's talking about - ask him about the early BC3000AD's release, if you will), and the fact that a major feature has been implemented roughly a month from release doesn't sound too good, as far as the quality of the release version goes. I, for one, would expect it to be buggy, as in "STALKER buggy".

Of course, STALKER is a great game now, after a few patches. The same may be true of ArmA 2, but we'll have to wait and see.

News Comments > TF2 Sniper Update Details
2. Re: TF2 Sniper Update Details May 12, 2009, 16:37 Wolfox

Oh yeah, Cavemen rule. Here's the ultimate proof:

http://www.firstpersonshouter.com/?p=321

This comment was edited on May 12, 2009, 16:37.

News Comments > Light of Altair Demo
3. Re: Light of Altair Demo May 11, 2009, 15:40 Wolfox

For a second there, I thought "Light of Altair" would be some spin-off of Assassin's Creed.  

News Comments > Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
1. Re: Civilization IV: The Complete Edition May 5, 2009, 13:22 Wolfox

Interesting. I might get this.  

News Comments > No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins
14. Re: No SecuROM in Dragon Age: Origins May 4, 2009, 23:16 Wolfox

Look at that... now I MAY buy Dragon Age after all. Let's see.  

News Comments > PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans
6. Re: PC Star Trek: D-A-C Plans Apr 23, 2009, 14:59 Wolfox

I reinstalled Starfleet Command: Orion Pirates recently, and I'd forgotten how fun it is.

As for this game, it seems hopelessly dumbed-down. I'll pass.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Apr 21, 2009, 09:50 Wolfox

Why "The Zeno"? The name of the game is actually "Zeno Clash".  

News Comments > NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month
29. Re: NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate This Month Apr 20, 2009, 20:14 Wolfox

Here's another lost sale. I passed on the DLC content for the first NWN because of online activation DRM, and the one you're going to use now seems to be even more draconian. So, you lost a sale then, and now.  

News Comments > On Riddick DRM
40. Re: On Riddick DRM Apr 16, 2009, 13:48 Wolfox

-2k Removed all the DRM from Bioshock about 10 months after release.

No, it didn't. Securom is still there (there was no patch to remove it), they just removed the limit on activations - but activations are still necessary to play the game, and Securom is firmly in place.

-EA is planing to remove the disc check from BF2 with the 1.5 patch(if it ever comes out)

Actually, no one knows if the disc check will be actually removed or substituted by some other form of DRM. The messages I've seen have been ambiguous so far, enough for me to not hold my breath.

That being said, Massive did remove the disk check in the latest patch for World of Conflict, and BIS did the same with Armed Assault. I'm sure there have been other cases, but not enough to make it the norm, instead of the exception.

21. Re: On Riddick DRM Apr 16, 2009, 11:02 Wolfox

They gain the illusion of control (and even that is debatable). But keep in mind: this is a "Dilbert" world. These decisions, therefore, are bound to happen; it is up to us to try to stop the madness (by speaking with mouth, keyboard, and wallet), though that may be a "sisyphic" effort.  

12. Re: On Riddick DRM Apr 16, 2009, 09:22 Wolfox

Well, when (and if) they remove the DRM, I might consider buying this game. Until then, no sale.  

News Comments > Steam GTAIV Patched
7. Re: Steam GTAIV Patched Apr 14, 2009, 17:18 Wolfox

Personally, I found Saints Row 2 (PC) to be more fun than GTA4.

I haven't played GTA4, but Saint's Row 2 is definitely lots of fun, and I found it to be more fun than both Vice City and San Andreas.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Demigod
10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Demigod Apr 14, 2009, 14:38 Wolfox

After reading their gamer's bill of rights and seeing news of their GOO DRM, my general impression of Stardock's claim of no DRM is they really mean "our DRM isn't implemented via drivers!"

That sounds about right. They do have DRM, but it's "DRM Lite", so to speak. Stardock claims that the CD/DVD versions are DRM-Free (and they are), but if you want to get patches (and you usually NEED to - for instance, the DVD version of Demigod doesn't have LAN play enabled), you're forced to use Impulse (and hence, its own flavor of activation), which is definitely a form of DRM. It's less intrusive, and driver/rootkit free, but still DRM.

News Comments > Demigod Early
9. Re: Demigod Early Apr 14, 2009, 00:54 Wolfox

This game is fun. My favorite demigod so far is Torchbearer... It's fun to freeze your enemies in one game, and fry them in the next.

Still gotta try the other demigods, though. I think the next I'll play with is Lord Erebus, the Vampire Lord. I hope he isn't a Malkavian, though.

News Comments > Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash
62. Re: On Dark Athena DRM Apr 9, 2009, 17:23 Wolfox

@Metasparks:

Other people answered your questions better than I could possibly do. But there's a few comments I'd like to add.

1) if you want new activation codes, how do you get them? There are no explicit rules anywhere, and it would probably come down to calling Atari (by phone). In my case, that would mean paying international rates to (maybe) play the game I purchased legitimally, while a pirate doesn't even have that kind of hassle. Do you think that's reasonable?

Also, you asked if Atari would just want to rip you off - yes, they do, or they wouldn't have considered DRM to start with. Most people won't even know that new activations can be requested; when they run out, some people won't bother, some people will buy the game again. In both cases, Atari will still have the money you gave for a game you can't play. So, who is ripping who off?

2) most people that buy the game won't know they can run out of activations until they actually do. That happened to my father with an EA game. He is (rightfully so) angry at EA now, and will not buy its products anymore because of that. Technically-savvy consumers may work around this kind of DRM (and research about it before buying), but most people will only be hurt by it, unknowingly, because Atari/EA/whatever doesn't even bother to inform the consumer on the kind of "protection" they bundled with the game, or make clear, fair rules to ensure you have the right to play the game you purchased.

3) There's a very fine line between being understanding and gullible. I'd say you're probably walking that line, but I may be wrong.

In any case, if it's Atari's right to forcefully limit my rights when playing their games (and that is debatable), it's my right to not let them do that. I will not pirate the game either; I will just not play it, buy it, or recommend it to anyone. I'll use my money on DRM-free games, and make it clear to the publishers/developers that lack of DRM is important to me as an honest, paying customer. And I'll hope for a DRM-free future, which seems not so likely, but a man can dream, can't he?

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Patch Status
5. Re: Battlefield 2 Patch Status Apr 9, 2009, 12:28 Wolfox

It doesn't sound like they are getting rid of DRM, but actually looking for a DRM alternative that doesn't require the DVD on the drive. Probably some internet activation thingy. At least they promise no activation limits, but I wouldn't count on that.  

10. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:22 Wolfox

But if you can install it on three different machines as many times as you like, than that's completely acceptable!

Read again: if you change/upgrade any major components of a given machine, it will be considered a new machine. So, upgrade your computer three times and you'll run out of activations. Does that sound acceptable?

Further, they will allow you to legitimately request new codes if you reach maximum. This doesn't seem that restricting at all!

It is: you shouldn't have to ask politely to be able to reinstall and play a game that you bought. Also, you have no idea of how responsive Atari's support is - you may request new activations and find out that such emails are actually sent to /dev/null. And, finally, they are not REQUIRED to give you new codes - they MAY or MAY NOT, depending on what THEY decide. If for some reason they find you suspicious enough (no evidence required), they might just say "no" and leave you with a $50 dollar coaster.

They recaptured my purchase.

Well, some people are more gullible than others...

3. Re: Assault on Dark Athena DRM Backlash Apr 9, 2009, 12:01 Wolfox

They lost at least one otherwise sure sale because of that: mine. I was looking forward to this game, but, with this kind of DRM, I'd rather spend my money on DRM-free games in Gog.com, Gamer's Gate or indie developers. Too bad for Starbreeze, but blame it on Atari.  

News Comments > Impulse Phase 3 Launches
5. Re: Impulse Phase 3 Launches Apr 7, 2009, 14:39 Wolfox

Impulse Anywhere does sound interesting. If it works well, it might restore some of my faith in Stardock.  

507 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo