Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roberto

Real Name Roberto   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wolfox
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Gamer and master geek. I love games, computers, music, 3D, etc.
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2003, 17:16
Total Comments 507 (Apprentice)
User ID 16448

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Popup Dungeon Kickstarter
2. Re: Popup Dungeon Kickstarter Apr 4, 2014, 10:55 Wolfox

Ring Runner is a great game, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Age of Wonders III
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Age of Wonders III Mar 31, 2014, 21:14 Wolfox

I got it too. I hope I'll be able to play a couple hours today. Looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Early Access
35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2014, 13:55 Wolfox

Good points overall, Rigs. I hope you're right, I really do, because if Galciv 3 is as fun as Galciv2, but with more depth, it is just the game I want to play.

I'll just make a comment on one specific point:

Rigs wrote on Mar 29, 2014, 02:11:
GalCiv3 is part of a series where the earlier titles were successes and it now has precedent and a pedigree. They aren't going into this game blind. GC3 is pulling heavily from GC2 and since GC2 was such a wonderful game and did was it was designed to do, GC3 has that behind it already. What I mean is that with titles like Elemental, the team working on it had nothing to pull from.

Elemental borrowed heavily from Galciv2, actually. In fact, gameplay-wise, from early betas to the released product, it felt more like a total conversion mod for Galciv 2 than a proper, different game. Which is part of the reason why it didn't work - Elemental took two "sequels" to find its own thing, to grow into its own game, away from the shadow of Galciv 2 (and into the shadow of Fall From Heaven, though that's another topic). Of course, Galciv 3 will probably benefit of the Galciv legacy (unlike Elemental), but again, it's a bit too early to know.

The main point why I have difficulty trusting Stardock again on game design and development is how blind they were by the time Elemental got released. Even Brad admitted a few weeks after release that he didn't understand how they could have messed up that bad. The fact it happened may mean that they'll be more careful this time, which would be fantastic, or that they'll make the same mistake, which would be terrible. As I don't know which it would be, I find it's safer to wait and see.

I may end up preordering it at some point, if the feedback from alpha/beta testers is good, and if I notice that they're taking suggestions/criticism to heart and striving to make a good game. But for now, I'll wait. I'll have many good 4X games to play in the following months (Age of Wonders 3, Distant Worlds Universe, etc) that I won't miss Galciv3 all that much for now.

Off-topic: I love the quote in your signature. I miss Babylon 5.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2014, 18:23 Wolfox

Rigs wrote on Mar 28, 2014, 16:44:
If I had $100 to spare, based on their previous track record with GalCiv2, I'd hand it over without a second thought.

Ok, so let's recap.

I was a big GalCiv2 fan. I played that game a lot, and liked most of my time with it. By the end, I noticed it was a bit shallow, but still lots of fun. In short, I became a fan of Stardock because of Galciv2. Bought all expansions (pre-ordered, even), the works.

Then came Sins of a Solar Empire. I pre-ordered it, and despite a somewhat rocky beta, it was a pretty good game (still is). So all was ok, despite some forgotten promises, but hey, it happens.

Then Stardock announced Demigod. I pre-ordered it immediately. Lots of promises were made, many of which never materialized (particularly the promise of a strong single-player mode). It was not a bad game, but it was far from what had been promised. My faith began to wane.

Then Stardock announced Elemental. I was a bit wary at this point. However, Brad Wardell himself came forward to say that the other games with minor or major problems were not developed by Stardock. But Elemental, in his words, "was their baby", and they would make it right. I remembered GalCiv2, and believed him. I pre-ordered the game. And it was a HUGE disappointment. I played the beta. I was in the beta forums. And one of the biggest disappointments was seeing all the feedback from testers being ignored and dismissed as if the final game would be so much better than anything the testers had seen so far. And we know how that turned out.

Now, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is pretty good (and I got it for free, having preordered Elemental a full year before it came out). But I could have bought it for less than I spent on my Elemental preorder, and have the game immediately instead of 2 years later.

Now, GalCiv 3 is coming. I have no idea if it will be good at the first try or not. And after Elemental, I will not risk the money I have now for something that may or may not come out good enough one or two years from now. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... you know the rule.

Of course, for Galciv3, you're not paying US$ 50 or US$ 60 now. You're paying US$ 100 to: 1) not know what the game will be, 2) not know if the feedback you give will be considered (at least at first), 3) not knowi if you'll get the game you want when it is first released, or two games later (as was the case with Elemental). You're paying more for no good reason other than supporting a company with a very rocky history in the last few years.

Now, if you want to do so, feel free to. It's your money. But I know I won't, at least not until the price is more reasonable, *AND* I have better information on the game and its development process. Stardock has won a part of my faith back after Legendary Heroes, but not nearly enough to make me buy this blindly. So I'll do the smart thing and wait.

5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Mar 27, 2014, 20:44 Wolfox

Slashman wrote on Mar 27, 2014, 20:33:

Which didn't have an Early Access program at all and wasn't made by the same company. So... Wtf

...so he should have said "I remember Elemental". There!

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
6. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 16:42 Wolfox

If this game used the Guild Wars model (buy-to-play, no subscription), I would consider trying it. But since it also has a subscription, I'm out.

Well, until it goes F2P, which might be quite likely.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 15:29 Wolfox

Brataccas wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 14:52:
Wolfox wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 14:35:
To be fair, beauty and fitness are culturally defined, not biologically.

Not really. We are biologically driven to prefer certain traits, mostly symmetry in structure, skin texture, and shape cues which indicate sexual maturity. This cuts across cultures and even species -- the research is pretty solid on that. Granted, weight preferences do change through time and across cultures.

Which is what I meant. Beauty and fitness are cultural constructs influenced (but not determined) by biological predisposition. And while there is some solid research on the subject, the conclusions of such research (and its scope) are still under discussion. The explanation power of evolutionary psychology is still more flimsy than it would like to be, and its conclusions should be considered with caution.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2014, 14:35 Wolfox

Cutter wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 13:34:
Because - as it's hard wired to the genes - we're all attracted to beauty and fitness because it's an evolutionary trait.

To be fair, beauty and fitness are culturally defined, not biologically. The beautiful women of centuries ago would be considered fat nowadays; similarly, "fat" people were considered more healthy than slim, "fit" people back then. Our brain is complex enough that our genes very rarely determine something in our behavior - scientists today talk more about gene "influence" than "determination" (as far as our behavior goes), and most of our behavior is actually "programmed" by cultural influence.

Just saying.

News Comments > Unity 5 Announced
9. Re: Unity 5 Announced Mar 18, 2014, 21:47 Wolfox

Beamer wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 21:21:
UDK is free for the same people. With more features. And it's easier to use.

UDK requires royalties (25% of revenue above $50k), and Unity doesn't. For those thinking big, it can make a considerable difference.

As for ease of use, I have no idea. I've been trying to use open-source engines anyway, so I haven't tried Unity or UDK.

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2014, 18:56 Wolfox

Cutter wrote on Mar 18, 2014, 17:53:
If you haven't grabbed Expeditions: Conquistador yet, run, don't walk, to get it. Totally a steal for $5. I don't know how or why this was overlooked by so many people but it's a gem. Ima probably give this another playthrough again very soon. I hope it did well enough to warrant a follow-up.

That's exactly what I'm gonna do later today. That game has been in my wishlist for quite some time, waiting for a discount.

Good to know you liked it. I'm definitely intrigued.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 14, 2014, 23:21 Wolfox

var p = Popcorn()
p.take()
watch()

News Comments > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Revelations DLC Announced (For PC Too)
5. Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Revelations DLC Announced (For PC Too) Mar 8, 2014, 12:11 Wolfox

I've been playing the game so far (I bought it on Steam, just saying) and it's been pretty good. For me, it's at least as good as the first one, which I really, really liked.

I'm ok with the stealth sections, because, for me, they're just disguised puzzles, mostly. There's one stealth section that's pointless and potentially agravating, but it's one single section in a game that's been pretty good so far, so I'm ok with it.

Of course, I have yet to finish the game, and I must be 7 hours in, which is less than halfway through. From what I've seen so far, though, I'd say it's very likely I'll get the DLC at some point.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
19. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 14:48 Wolfox

Watter wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 12:57:
By coincidence, I just finished Origins last night so it's quite fresh in my mind, I may be one of the few who enjoyed Origins more than City and definitely more than Asylum. In Asylum, and to a certain extent City, all of the side missions felt very distracting and in the way of the very focused story and sense of urgency. I thought Origins did a much better job of integrating the various these missions from a timing and story perspective. I also found the combat to be a little more difficult (well, until you got the shock gloves at least) in Origins which was appreciated.

At first, I was enjoying Origins more than City as well, but then things began to fall apart. There are many good things about Origins, many brave things, and many moments of brilliance - but, at least for me, there are even more clumsy moments and obvious oversights, enough that they mostly ruined the experience for me.

With a bit more of care and polish, Origins could have been the best of them all. Instead it will be remembered as the worse in the series, which is just sad.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Feb 26, 2014, 14:02 Wolfox

Bundy wrote on Feb 26, 2014, 09:50:
I'm still playing through the first on steam, whose ending was spoiled for me by every other website that had an article promoting the second (In this game, Gabriel rises as Dracula! Nooooooooooooooooooooo!). I dunno, I like it! Apparently I'm the only one! Oh well.

Not the only one. Lords of Shadow was in my personal top 2 games for 2013.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Feb 26, 2014, 14:01 Wolfox

I've played for a bit over 2 hours and it's really good so far. Runs smooth, looks great, combat has a bit more nuance than the first one, and some pretty cool setpieces.

In that time, I've played through two of the much criticized "stealth sections". They didn't bother me nearly as much as it did most reviewers (at least not yet) because they are, for all intents and purposes, just disguised puzzles - puzzles that, so far, are no worse (and no better) than the puzzles in the first game.

Apart from a somewhat gratuitous scene that serves little real purpose (even if it's quite powerful, in an unsettling kind of way) and some weird and uncalled-for innuendo by one of the early bosses, I'm really enjoying the game. But there's still about 18 hours of game to go, so it may be a bit too early to say how good it is or is not. As beginnings go, though, it's pretty good.

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Next Month
2. Re: Age of Wonders III Next Month Feb 25, 2014, 19:22 Wolfox

Julio wrote on Feb 25, 2014, 19:18:
Given AOW:SM was one of my favorite games of all time, looking forward to this DRM free from GOG.

In that case, I hope you like regional pricing, or that you are unaffected by it. Just saying.

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Feb 24, 2014, 21:39 Wolfox

.net_Drifter wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 19:17:
Julio wrote on Feb 24, 2014, 17:47:
Guess he won't be doing a cameo in Ghostbusters 3. A very talented man.

. . . or will he?

Good joke, but a bit too soon.

RIP Egon Spengler, Ph.D.

News Comments > Line of Defense Tactics Demo
4. Re: Line of Defense Tactics Demo Feb 19, 2014, 20:16 Wolfox

PHJF wrote on Feb 19, 2014, 20:00:
...a chance to make their own judgment and help us counter these malicious and false reviews being put up by a select few and their mob in order to get back at us for banning, thus preventing them from disrupting our forums.

... what

I see you're not used to Derek's style. That is actually a pretty good example of what's been going on since Battlecruiser 3000AD.

News Comments > PC Line of Defense Tactics Released
2. Re: PC Line of Defense Tactics Released Feb 11, 2014, 16:49 Wolfox

I wonder how long until someone does the summoning.

So, has anyone here tried the game? If so, how is it?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Feb 9, 2014, 12:12 Wolfox

Hey, guys, don't be too hard on the guy. He's just trying to pull a Phil Fish.

Of course, Flappy Bird isn't Fez or even close to it. But hey, it's the thought that matters!

(and it saddens me to see people playing Flappy Bird when they could be instead playing something more substantial like Joust)

507 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo