Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for m00t

Real Name m00t   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description m00t
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 4, 2003, 23:52
Total Comments 414 (Amateur)
User ID 16358

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Doomsday!
16. Re: Weep for Fallout Jul 23, 2004, 11:46 m00t

Half-life is a heavily modified hybrid of Quake and Quake2.
It blends elements of both (I think the networking arch was Q2 based and most of the rest was Q1).

Painkiller graphics engine is inhouse PAIN engine. Physics by Havok (several games are coming out using this commerical physics package)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM 3 Requirements
9. d3 specs Jul 20, 2004, 10:53 m00t

Considering this game will run on a 733 mhz proc with 64mb RAM and Geforce3 and look decent, I don't think those min specs will look like crap.

Generally I've found I can run id games on PCs that are below spec (except for the directX version the video card supports) with the settings turned down.

I think a 2500+ (or 2.5ghz) with 512mb and a low end Geforce 4 or 9600 will run Doom3 with at high detail in 8x6 res (maybe 1024x768) with a relatively smooth framerate.

At least it better, dammit. I don't want to upgrade again this year

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Arrests Follow-up
18. Re: coping != stealing is weak Jul 16, 2004, 10:47 m00t

It's a good thing then that when they prosecute crimes like this that they're not using your book.
Whether YOU believe it is stealing or not is irrelevant because it is the law that determines this, not you.

If you want to change that, talk to your senate/representatives.

I'm not saying either way is right, I'm just telling you how it is.

News Comments > DOOM 3 Mac, Linux, and Demo Details
111. Re: My nigga the Doom. Jul 16, 2004, 02:41 m00t

Quake and now the Doom3 engine licenses are going to sell for alot more than 100k. ie: The UT2004 license itself sells for 350k.

Well, yeah. Though Unreal is a side topic, Epic prices their engine differently and provides different levels of quality and support. They also put themselves at a possible disadvantage if their potential licensee is more cash concious than not. Q3 licensing is 250k and (not sure how this is read) something about 5% royalty. Still, the revenue from units sold (including royalty) outweighs the revenue from licensing by a hefty margin.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Arrests Follow-up
12. Re: Blah blah blah Jul 16, 2004, 02:37 m00t

The definition of Stealing implies that there is only one instance of the object and that it is moved in to the posession of another. The "hackers" did not move the source code. They copied it. A subtle difference but big enough for it to fall under not stealing but criminal copyright infringement. While not stealing, it is still a serious offense. And I think the penalties for it can actually be stronger than that of Plain Old Theft. There's also the charges related to getting in to the system and conspiracy...

Likewise a corporate competitor taking photos or photocopies of someone's designs is not theft it is industrial espionage.

107. Re: No subject Jul 16, 2004, 00:02 m00t

i'd never play doom on a console, pc is how its ment to be played

I agree. The experience currently really is just better on a properly configured PC.
That said, some people don't know how or don't care to know how to get/make a properly configured PC. Or simply can't afford it. So console versions will have to suffice for them.
In the mean time, we can enjoy our superior experience

105. Re: PC Gamer Jul 15, 2004, 22:43 m00t

This will be the engine of choice for consoles due to its incredibly small map size.

Well, sort of. If id let's vicarious visions license the engine it would be good for highly detailed FPS (and maybe other genre) games on the X-Box. But a lot of games use the Unreal engine which is suited for slightly lower detail but better performance on that spec (733mhz, geforce3 class) so a lot of them use that. They're more familiar with it and it's cheaper to license.

Id makes the majority of it's money on sales, not licenses. Not to say licenses don't pile on cash, it's just not as lucrative as you'd think it would be. say, 13x titles at 100k each is only 1.3 million. If Doom3 sells 1 million copies at $30 - $50, id stands to make probably 10 - 20 million because a) they do a lot of stuff in house. b) they don't have to license jack shit. c) they can bargain VERY powerfully due to their position with their publisher and their publisher knows their game will sell very well and is likely very happy to take what it gets [activision!].

Licensing is just very sweet icing on the very large cake.

News Comments > WON to be Lost
13. Re: Time to load up my second favorite RTS! Jul 15, 2004, 22:37 m00t

Why on earth did it set my subject to that?

I hit 'post comment' and i think it showed a message from another thread.

News Comments > WON to be Lost
12. Re: Time to load up my second favorite RTS! Jul 15, 2004, 22:33 m00t

Valve has no interest in supporting Linux at all.

Look at Gabe's resume some time.

News Comments > Kenn Hoekstra Departs Raven
6. No subject Jun 29, 2004, 12:18 m00t

Farewell Kenn!

News Comments > SWG Veteran Rewards
3. This is like saying... Jun 29, 2004, 00:31 m00t

"Hey, we know our game sucks. So for those of you masochists out there that are still with us, we're giving you something to keep you level grinding...

please stay.... we're lonely"

News Comments > On the DOOM 3 Date
68. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 24, 2004, 00:14 m00t

No problem, jerkwad.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
55. No subject Jun 23, 2004, 18:07 m00t

"Holy crap. You guys are losing it big time down there. You have your Patriot Act, Digital Millennium Copyright Act and now this. Of all the peoples in the world, you'd think Americans would be screaming bloody murder over this. But I guess you're not allowed to anymore."

It's more that people just don't care. They believe it will never affect them and the people who are being targeted publicly by the laws are people they don't agree with, so they think it is good.
They'll be screaming bloody murder after it gets used on them. But by then it'll be too late for them to do anything about it. Seems pretty stupid, doesn't it?

65. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 23, 2004, 17:36 m00t

Hey jerkwad, just because I'm an asshole doesn't mean I'm wrong.

62. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 23, 2004, 16:56 m00t

You're welcome to your opinion (no, really I don't want it!)
But there's no need to be jealous of the man's success.

All the games you mention are games I loved. Each has their place for different reasons. 3dRealms, id software, Epic all make (in my opinion) great games, from a gameplay, visual, audio, configurability standpoint each has it's merits. Rise Of the Triad was a great game, too.

Also (different thread), Snipes (old DOS/novell game) was probably the first deathmatch game.

54. No subject Jun 23, 2004, 12:17 m00t

Doom3 is coming out on Xbox, too. Remember? Not everyone is buying this for the PC.

That said, I'm waiting for it come out so I can pick up my pre-order.
Then we all get to wait for Gabe's next excuse as to why HL2 is late >:(
I hope Unreal3 doesn't come out before HL2. I think valve would explode.

News Comments > More on WHO Cancellation
9. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2004, 12:34 m00t

It probably went like this:

GW: Dude, your game sucks. We're canning it. You've had years and the best you can do is 3 craptastic models and 2 environments. Get lost.
Climax: But but but but but look!!! it's good!
GW: We don't need to spend any more millions on an MMO Q1 based game, bye.
Climax speaking to public: Our hard work and dedication to this excellent project has unfortunately gone to waste because GW is not willing to pay us to sit on our asses any more.

Good riddance.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Cancelled
33. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2004, 16:14 m00t

Hrm. That was the 3025 thing right? I don't think that was MS... I think MS could do a decent one. They have the animation technology for the mechs. Certainly have the money to support it and the licenses to all of FASA's stuff.

Mech Assault 2 looks friggin' awesome. Way better than MA1 was which I was thoroughly dissappointed with as a battletech player.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Cancelled
26. No subject Jun 21, 2004, 15:42 m00t

After I saw the videos/screenies of this I thought the publisher was out of their minds and the the developers weren't born with one.

It was the kind of modeling and animation that wowed us back when Q1 was released, if even that good. Good riddance.

re: mmo's in general.
Pay to play is here to stay, true. But I think they have a long way to go before it is truly mainstream. Online gaming in general is still a drop in the bucket compared to where it will be in a few years.

I do wish they'd make a _good_ MMO FPS and a good MMO RTS. Planetside is cool to a degree, but I want more. A battletech MMO (full universe with jumpships, dropships, aerospace, mechs, vehicles, infantry, etc) would be amazing.

The thing that most MMOs seem to lack is the feel that you're in a huge, epic universe. Most of them feel like they're as big as a BF1942 map and then I get to wait 30 seconds to load the next one. Screw that. I want to be able to take off from my dropship in orbit, fight through a fighter screen and strafe the enemy regiment advancing on a city.

CoH is a nice distraction. I like that I don't have to commit 3 hours to it to get anywhere. The city is cool with some very large zones (I'd still rather have a contiguous planet scale map... c'est la vie).

It's possible, it just needs to be done.

Merge Eve's interstellar travel, add independence war space battles, mechwarrior mechs, bf1942 versatility and infantry, UT2k4 vehicles. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 years.
3. Profit!!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. No subject Jun 10, 2004, 10:42 m00t

While you're thinking about that, think of the number of electrons.
Or heck, the quarks!

414 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo