Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for m00t

Real Name m00t   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description m00t
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 4, 2003, 23:52
Total Comments 405 (Amateur)
User ID 16358

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Kenn Hoekstra Departs Raven
6. No subject Jun 29, 2004, 12:18 m00t

Farewell Kenn!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SWG Veteran Rewards
3. This is like saying... Jun 29, 2004, 00:31 m00t

"Hey, we know our game sucks. So for those of you masochists out there that are still with us, we're giving you something to keep you level grinding...

please stay.... we're lonely"

News Comments > On the DOOM 3 Date
68. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 24, 2004, 00:14 m00t

No problem, jerkwad.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
55. No subject Jun 23, 2004, 18:07 m00t

"Holy crap. You guys are losing it big time down there. You have your Patriot Act, Digital Millennium Copyright Act and now this. Of all the peoples in the world, you'd think Americans would be screaming bloody murder over this. But I guess you're not allowed to anymore."

It's more that people just don't care. They believe it will never affect them and the people who are being targeted publicly by the laws are people they don't agree with, so they think it is good.
They'll be screaming bloody murder after it gets used on them. But by then it'll be too late for them to do anything about it. Seems pretty stupid, doesn't it?

65. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 23, 2004, 17:36 m00t

Hey jerkwad, just because I'm an asshole doesn't mean I'm wrong.

62. Re: Carmack is a fucking joke Jun 23, 2004, 16:56 m00t

You're welcome to your opinion (no, really I don't want it!)
But there's no need to be jealous of the man's success.

All the games you mention are games I loved. Each has their place for different reasons. 3dRealms, id software, Epic all make (in my opinion) great games, from a gameplay, visual, audio, configurability standpoint each has it's merits. Rise Of the Triad was a great game, too.

Also (different thread), Snipes (old DOS/novell game) was probably the first deathmatch game.

54. No subject Jun 23, 2004, 12:17 m00t

Doom3 is coming out on Xbox, too. Remember? Not everyone is buying this for the PC.

That said, I'm waiting for it come out so I can pick up my pre-order.
Then we all get to wait for Gabe's next excuse as to why HL2 is late >:(
I hope Unreal3 doesn't come out before HL2. I think valve would explode.

News Comments > More on WHO Cancellation
9. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2004, 12:34 m00t

It probably went like this:

GW: Dude, your game sucks. We're canning it. You've had years and the best you can do is 3 craptastic models and 2 environments. Get lost.
Climax: But but but but but look!!! it's good!
GW: We don't need to spend any more millions on an MMO Q1 based game, bye.
Climax speaking to public: Our hard work and dedication to this excellent project has unfortunately gone to waste because GW is not willing to pay us to sit on our asses any more.

Good riddance.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Cancelled
33. Re: No subject Jun 21, 2004, 16:14 m00t

Hrm. That was the 3025 thing right? I don't think that was MS... I think MS could do a decent one. They have the animation technology for the mechs. Certainly have the money to support it and the licenses to all of FASA's stuff.

Mech Assault 2 looks friggin' awesome. Way better than MA1 was which I was thoroughly dissappointed with as a battletech player.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Cancelled
26. No subject Jun 21, 2004, 15:42 m00t

After I saw the videos/screenies of this I thought the publisher was out of their minds and the the developers weren't born with one.

It was the kind of modeling and animation that wowed us back when Q1 was released, if even that good. Good riddance.

re: mmo's in general.
Pay to play is here to stay, true. But I think they have a long way to go before it is truly mainstream. Online gaming in general is still a drop in the bucket compared to where it will be in a few years.

I do wish they'd make a _good_ MMO FPS and a good MMO RTS. Planetside is cool to a degree, but I want more. A battletech MMO (full universe with jumpships, dropships, aerospace, mechs, vehicles, infantry, etc) would be amazing.

The thing that most MMOs seem to lack is the feel that you're in a huge, epic universe. Most of them feel like they're as big as a BF1942 map and then I get to wait 30 seconds to load the next one. Screw that. I want to be able to take off from my dropship in orbit, fight through a fighter screen and strafe the enemy regiment advancing on a city.

CoH is a nice distraction. I like that I don't have to commit 3 hours to it to get anywhere. The city is cool with some very large zones (I'd still rather have a contiguous planet scale map... c'est la vie).

It's possible, it just needs to be done.

Merge Eve's interstellar travel, add independence war space battles, mechwarrior mechs, bf1942 versatility and infantry, UT2k4 vehicles. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 years.
3. Profit!!!

11. No subject Jun 10, 2004, 10:42 m00t

While you're thinking about that, think of the number of electrons.
Or heck, the quarks!

5. Re: Oral sex lessons to cut rates of tee May 27, 2004, 11:22 m00t

As long as there are no parent-teacher conferences on the subject...

Now, do they have in-class examples?

News Comments > Far Cry Patch & SDK Plans
17. Re: Lack of Birthdays Fatal May 27, 2004, 10:10 m00t

Fixed a number of ladder related bugs

FINALLY.
That's the one thing that _REALLY_ pissed me off in the game, physics/gameplay wise. The ladders were HORRIBLE.
I'd get to the top and immediately the game would spin me 90 degrees left or right and would not let me get off the top of the ladder.

Climbing down was a serious pain as well.

re:lagging and warping.
It's pretty bad over 110ms but if you can find a server that you ping ~30 - 80 to you'll be fine so long as everyone else pings about the same... which is where the real problems come in.

Judging by the issues with lag, the client is semi-authoritative on it's position leaving the game open to speed/teleport hacks to a major degree. Someone w/ a 200ms ping frequently teleports when viewed by someone w/ a 30ms ping making it very difficult to hit them.

16. Re: No subject May 27, 2004, 10:06 m00t

I disagree with the "Save point system was perfect". It was very good for the majority of the game but there were 3 points where they needed to add another one.

Tension is one thing but getting through a major battle and then having to play for 20 more minutes to get to a save point only to be killed by a falling rock that is nigh unavoidable is not fun, does not create tension and does not encourage people to purchase more offerings from the company.

Also, they could have made the ending of the game more interesting. It was very predictable and not really all that fun.

The voice acting was B grade at best. Over acted in the extreme, mis-timed with animations and some of it just didn't make sense.

I liked the game up until the last 20 minutes of play and then I really wish they had ended it earlier when it was still pretty good.

Multiplayer is really fun, though.
Great engine, simply beautiful. Predictable, cheesey, ripped off from just about every other game you can think of story.

4. Re: No subject May 27, 2004, 00:44 m00t

Go to console
type
\save_game

voila.

You'll have to hit esc to load the game after dying the first couple times, but it worked fine for me.

I needed it a couple times near the end where i was just getting bored with the stupid fights that had no point.

Really, they should have ended it a couple levels before they did. Oh, and hired real voice actors.

News Comments > Battlefield Vietnam Patch
32. Re: Another link May 22, 2004, 00:52 m00t

Where did you find this gem? Do you think they created their game selling screenshots without AA/AF?

Actually... Yes.

Screenshots (box art, posters, media releases) are rendered at extremely high resolutions (usually 4x or 9x 1024x768, maybe higher) at 32bit color and then scaled down to the size for printing so it looks a lot better than it would even on the best system.

This is standard practice in the industry.
Some games use AA/AF with this, some don't or custom fit it in there just for the media samples and then pull/disable it in the final release due to bugs, unsupportedness (more trouble than it's worth maybe), or simply because they don't have the time to finish it.

Really.
Where do you think those high resolution X-Box and PS2 screenshots come from? You don't think the game will run higher than 640x480 on your TV... Do you?

10. Re: Sega?? May 18, 2004, 13:29 m00t

One of my pet peeves is Hollywood tearing up history http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3217961/ (half way down). Troy is plain crazy for that. The writers have done a history pick 'n mix that would make Mel Gibsons' William Wallace blush. People who watch films but rarely read books or watch documentaries on history must have the most bizzare notion of what happened in the past. I can appreciate a little poetic licence but really.. I'd hate to think what cross pollination from film my knowledge of history has...

So is that to say that The Illiad is straight up in line with reality?

It was inspired by the events of the Trojan War / The Illiad. It never claimed to be an exact copy of the historical events or the book.

*EDIT: Fixed italics
This comment was edited on May 18, 13:30.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
76. Re: The real reason Co-op isn't on the PC May 14, 2004, 13:49 m00t

1) Ahh.. I'm more programming oriented so I wasn't quite following that perspective of thought correctly.

2) Didn't dispute the bitmap issue.

3) x,y was used from a topdown perspective (try and find an old Doom editor). The Z (when on screen in game would be up/down) is calculated from the floorheight and sector ceiling height. the sectors are defined as lines that have a facing (defined by the order in which you create the points on the lines) which tells the engine which side to put what texture on. The Z position is "faked" in that everything is really on a 2d plane in regards to collision and the game world, only shifted by the rendering engine. Part of what this means is that no two objects can occupy the same x,y coordinate but it gives the illusion of a true 3d world.

4) In doom sprites are rendered very quickly and never need to rotate. basically they scale by distance and are drawn flat on the screen. No need to generate a polygon to draw them on, just draw the frame straigtht on to the screen at the write time (dependant on the distance from the camera relative to walls and other objects)

4) Scripts are really just fancy triggers. What you can do with them is really up to how much you want to implement in the engine. Some scripts are C++, some are external languages (LUA, python, unrealscript, etc)

5) In the industry, time == money. They are inseperable. If the developer is independantly wealthy and does the groundwork, it's possible. But it is technically challenging from a design and production standpoint and generates a lot of possibilities for bugs that would normally not come up. Most developers just don't see it worth their time/money.

As for co-op, how many of those games wrote their own engine? I can't speak for H&D or DD, but MOHAA I believe is licensed Q2 engine. Not writing your own engine saves you thousands, if not millions of dollars and, unless you're already in a financial position to make one, is the way to go. It frees up a tremendous amount of time to get in to art production and level design from the start without waiting for the engine to be completed just so you can see if your design works.

Come up with a scripted scenario that you think would be cool in a coop setting and I will list a bunch of things to consider and lets see what compromises we would have to make to get it to work.

6) agreed... I have to get back to work

73. Re: No subject May 14, 2004, 13:04 m00t

Well, he's two buildings down from me. I guess I could just go and ask or something. But I think that would be kind of awkward.

And probably get me fired.

re: co-op for one but not the other:
VV doesn't have to do as much work to get the single player version in line as a lot of the content is already there for them which frees them up to put more bells and whistles in to make up for the lowered overall quality of the game. At least, that's my take on it.

70. Re: No subject May 14, 2004, 10:21 m00t

Reguardless, the decision to do another Doom game lead the firing of an id employee. btw i do beleive you quoted me as saying "or someone important" and yes it was Paul Steed but the name escaped me at the time.

Steed was a bit of a jerk anyway.

When he was fired it seemed more a retaliation and control trip... "We control you. Do what we say" Made an example of him I guess.
I dunno. He always seemed pretty immature to me.

405 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo