Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for m00t

Real Name m00t   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description m00t
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 4, 2003, 23:52
Total Comments 398 (Amateur)
User ID 16358

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
17. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 11:54 m00t

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:20:
Sempai wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:03:
Sure wish they'd allow me to move that damned camera out a little..

Adjustable camera in an RTS? That's so 2004 on! How dare you expect Blizzard to innovate rather than rehash the same 10 year+ old starcraft with a new subtag line? Heresy!

Or pulling the camera out in multiplayer gives you a huge advantage, but hey why let balance get in the way of your bashing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
24. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2013, 13:43 m00t

Seems someone else recalls the boxcutters
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/07/opinion/hawk-tsa-knives/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

That said, I think this op-ed is a little over the top.

" "If a terrorist takes you hostage, we will have to let you die," "

She's concerned that people will bring knives onto planes and attempt a hijack by killing passengers and crew members. First off, plenty of sharp objects make it onto planes; if someone wanted to harm or kill another passenger there are other ways to do it (maybe not as quick?), and finally if they did get control of the plane, you're going to die anyway, so really what does she expect? Note the invented quote she says "takes you hostage" and neglects the means or threat involved.

More hysterics from people who can't handle trivial (if depressing) logic. I can't wait until they raise the liquid limit to 3/4 of a liter and people cry out how this will allow people to carry water bottle they purchased in the airport (as noted below...) onto a plane and how dire a threat it is to their safety. Someone could *drown* with that much water!

10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2013, 12:35 m00t

I recall that as well.

blegh.

3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2013, 10:59 m00t

Creston, they're just worried this might happen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWKis8_EcI

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 m00t

As a native of Washington State (from a town next door to Mt Vernon), I sincerely and deeply apologize for the existence of Glenn Beck.

I am so, so sorry.

News Comments > Developer: Demos Kill Sales
21. Re: Developer: Demos Kill Sales Feb 12, 2013, 14:12 m00t

In an effort to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, the only way I can see "Demos killing Sales" being a reasonable thing is if they botched the demo:
1. Buggy, not representative of the actual game.
2. Bad packaging or too constraining, not showing enough of the game. Or just plain nagging.
3. Not restrictive enough, basically giving the game for free, or enough of it that people have no reason to buy it. This is fairly rare but some people can get what they want out of the demo and not need the rest of the game to entertain themselves.

That said, this guy is dumb.

News Comments > Gas Powered Games Layoffs
38. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 15:52 m00t

You claim to have worked in the industry for 12 years, but you show a pretty piss poor understanding of how it operates and how it really is substantially different from most other industries. Certainly every industry shares aspects of what the games industry does, but very few of them have to deal with all of the problems as extreme as this industry does. The nature of digital gaming is that it's actually very easy to get in to but much, MUCH harder to survive in. There are fewer protections against bad actors and sudden shifts in the environment, both of which happen with high frequency. Most publisher contracts are fairly draconian, yet aside from the novelty that is Kickstarter and the ilk, there are few alternatives to them aside from simply not existing at all. Recently that's improved somewhat with Steam, Faceobok, and the proliferation of flash games, but doing A - AAA games as an independent is still one of the hardest, yet rewarding, things to do. Still, even people in the industry don't seem to value the work that is done as much as it is in other industries. Part of that is simply the immaturity of the industry, part of that is there are a lot of eager people who are willing to forgo pay and benefits for the opportunity. Either way, the industry is different.

In your infinite wisdom, if every industry is the same, why did you leave?

33. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 14:26 m00t

Stormsinger, you must not work in the games industry. Often it is completely irrelevant how good your management is and how well prepared you are. Sometimes contracts end before you expect (often with no warning) and not everyone can spare the resources to have many projects going at once (actually very few do). Bad management would be to run the company into the ground, beg people to stay with no pay for months without a realistic plan. At least paying severance and PTO gives people some cushion to find some place else. There are a lot of things that are simply out of your hands as an independent game developer and you gamble every time you choose to make a game.  

19. Re: Gas Powered Games Layoffs Jan 19, 2013, 03:26 m00t

I know Chris and a few other GPG guys personally and I have to say this is really hitting them hard. They're all real honest and fun people who've been trying their best to get projects out the door. Unfortunately the well being of the studio is not always a consideration for the publishers so sometimes projects never see the light of day. They're being very up front in the video and laying it out for people to see and make their own choices about what they want to do. Chris' first priority has always been to the people working at GPG and making sure they get what is due to them instead of risking the KS failing and then not being able to cover severance and PTO.

If this project seems at all interesting to you, please help out.

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Adds 10 Games
3. Re: Steam Greenlight Adds 10 Games Jan 15, 2013, 16:22 m00t

Is it me or are like 1/3 of the greenlit games obvious jokes/trolls or terrible games that are promoted by the likes of 4chan and reddit because they're so hilariously bad and the joke is getting so many people to play it? Seems like the opposite of what you'd want, imho.

Good to see some non-crap is getting through, though.

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
26. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 13:38 m00t

jdreyer wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 13:19:
Yakubs wrote on Dec 18, 2012, 12:14:
I hope this game is a huge bomb.

But if it is, will they take the right lesson from that failure?

No, they'll just lay off enough people to cover the difference and move on to more Call of Battlefield 7 for the console where morons throw cash at them for the same garbage year in and year out and not make any more PC games at all. I'm not 100% sure that's a bad thing.

News Comments > Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Suit
7. Re: Battle.net Authenticator Class Action Sui Nov 8, 2012, 22:33 m00t

They are non-free to manufacture, but most likely they have to pay patent license fees to the likes of RSA or something. Also the server hardware does cost a bit to maintain given the number of people (including phone versions) they have to support.

As for sharing a dongle between logins, no way. There's no way a company would let anyone else have access to the key sequence. That'd be the dumbest thing ever and basically make them useless from a real security perspective.

Given that SecurID tokens can cost upwards of $200, $6 is a steal.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 27, 2012, 15:43 m00t

That was just the first auction. Lots of desktops, monitors, chairs, a few Cintiqs, buckets of office supplies and random office contents. There's a second coming up that has a lot more server hardware, among other things. Most of the stuff went for ~50 - 75% of retail, though it was almost all used.

Funny thing is, if you weren't on-site, the cost of shipping almost anything you bought back is more than what you bid on it, so kind of pointless unless you're buying a *ton* of stuff.

News Comments > XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person?
9. Re: XCOM Shooter Going Third-Person? Oct 1, 2012, 11:43 m00t

The shooter is a XINO.
XCOM In Name Only. ho ho, I'm here all week.

News Comments > WoW Screenshot Watermarks?
17. Re: WoW Screenshot Watermarks? Sep 11, 2012, 19:22 m00t

It was probably used to identify people breaking NDA for WOTLK. According to TFA it first showed up in early WOTLK alpha builds.

Re: posting internal IPs on externally visible web pages: Why make it easier for someone who might have compromised one machine to locate other machines to take over? Not saying it would slow them down much, but the less information you share the better.

News Comments > Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit
72. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 19:09 m00t

RE: Sexual Harassment laws
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sex.cfm

It's illegal.
It's federal.
But single offhand cases does not harassment make. It's likely more complex than we know as most lawyers won't take the case unless it's pretty clear cut.
-----
Hadn't read the story yet before I posted that.

He's screwed.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 19:15.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
44. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 15:21 m00t

The Content servers may not be the same servers that host the store website. From what I understand those are just the servers that feed, well, content, like games and such. So I wouldn't take that page to mean much with regards to the website.  

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
46. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 15:31 m00t

Creston wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 14:07:
m00t wrote on Jun 27, 2012, 13:59:
And in 2 minutes NagaDeath comes up with a vastly more plausible reason for the existence of the Reapers.

The EC is better than the original lazy crap they pulled, but the endings, the reason for the Reapers, and the story for ME3 are all pretty crappy in context of the first two games.

Errr, what NegaDeath posted IS the exact explanation that's given to you by the Catalyst in the Extended Cut. It's not like he made it up on the spot. The only difference is that the Catalyst isn't happy about the Crucible at all, and in fact they've tried to destroy the design several cycles back.

Creston

No? The WunderKind says that the ones who created the WunderKind created the first Reapers themselves, not that the AI came up with it on its own. Rogue and buggy software makes more sense than the crap WunderKind spews.

Also, in EC it says Synthesis can't be forced. But just Shephard choosing isn't forcing it on to others? It's still a shitty nonsense ending.

News Comments > More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details?
38. Re: More Mass Effect 3 DLC Details? Jun 27, 2012, 13:59 m00t

And in 2 minutes NagaDeath comes up with a vastly more plausible reason for the existence of the Reapers.

The EC is better than the original lazy crap they pulled, but the endings, the reason for the Reapers, and the story for ME3 are all pretty crappy in context of the first two games.

News Comments > Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items
35. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 12, 2012, 01:19 m00t

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 21:43:
The player who provides the crafting materials will have his inventory reset to still have the materials and the player who crafted the items will still have the item. You're not making two identical items, you're simply provided unlimited materials to make entirely new items.

I'm confused, how is that not duping? You're duping the crafting materials (the ones re-added to the inventory and the ones traded to the crafter are the same commodity items). What you do with them after is irrelevant, it's still duping and they should delete the items (or gold earned from their sale) from the accounts of those who did it, or better ban them and nuke the accounts from orbit.

398 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo