Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for m00t

Real Name m00t   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description m00t
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 4, 2003, 23:52
Total Comments 405 (Amateur)
User ID 16358

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > Spore System Requirements
9. Re: No subject Jun 11, 2008, 00:52 m00t

Vista is to XP what Win2k was to WinME and Win95 was to Win3.11.

I'd say more that Vista is to XP that WinME is to Win95.
They're similar in many ways, but vastly different in others, and the former SUCKED way more than the predecessor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Spore Video
6. Re: But is it a harbinger? May 27, 2008, 22:14 m00t

Fable 2. No one can top Peter M. when it comes to talking out your ass.

News Comments > Anti-Piracy Chip?
12. Re: No subject May 23, 2008, 21:15 m00t

Nothing is *uncrackable*.
It might be cost prohibitive to do so, but so far there is nothing that can be used but not cracked.

If you are selling a product that consumers can use then there is an avenue for it to be cracked, period, end of story. It's literally a matter of time.

News Comments > Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Trailer
10. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 14:40 m00t

Red Alert always was cartoony, over-the-top, and heavily exaggerated. This is a little more so, but I don't think it's out of line with the previous games. I think most of it is the fact that one of the sides they were showing off was using purple as their side color. Largely I think it is in keeping with the franchise. I hope the gameplay holds up.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2008 Announced
20. Re: No subject May 13, 2008, 13:23 m00t

3 tix to Foo Fighters - $152
2 tix to NIN - $136

~57.6 per ticket average. So you could *almost* go to 2 concerts for $100. Not counting air-fare of course which probably is ~$200 - 400 round trip from anywhere far enough away to warrant flying. Oh then there's hotel...

As for me, I'll just watch all the interesting things on Youtube for free.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2008 Announced
8. No subject May 12, 2008, 13:23 m00t

E3 is dead as a consumer gaming show and largely dead as a media event. I say let it die. Last year was terrible.

This comment was edited on May 12, 13:24.

News Comments > EVE Online Client Source Leak
7. No subject Apr 15, 2008, 12:35 m00t

I haven't looked at the decompyled script but someone mentioned elsewhere that the client runs a telnet server while running. I wonder how much checking goes on to see if the incoming connections are from CCP...

Considering how lax CCP seems to be in terms of how much they care about their customers... I'd imagine not much.

News Comments > Alone in the Dark Demo Next Month
11. Re: No subject Apr 14, 2008, 19:48 m00t

I read somewhere that Atari is expecting this game to sell 2-3 million copies.

Um, good luck with that. The game may turn out great but unfortunately, quality != sales. Survival horror is a relatively niche genre, after all. Some may point out RE4 as a counter-example except that just reinforces my point. RE4 was action horror, not survival horror. It wasn't until the series really focused on action that it really gained mainstream appeal.

I hope Alone in the Dark does well but I highly doubt it'll do as well as Atari is expecting.

But it's based on the critically acclaimed movie by Uwe Boll. HOW COULD THEY POSSIBLY BE WRONG?!?!

----
And for those of you that just simply don't get it, that was sarcastic and intentionally inaccurate.

News Comments > WoW Bot Battle
28. Re: WoW Bot Mar 26, 2008, 14:00 m00t

if they just implemented a bot check/security feature like many of the free online downloading services,
What's interesting is that WoW China I believe does have a lot of features like this to make it more difficult for trojans to figure out what your password is and steal stuff from guild banks. I wonder why they don't do it in the US also.

25. Re: People always have, always will... Mar 26, 2008, 13:43 m00t

Over a 5 year period I netted about $40,000 from buying/selling online game items/accounts. I don't care if Blizzard doesn't approve, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

This I generally don't care about. The only reason it concerns me is that it is a motivator for people to develop trojans and hack peoples' computers/accounts. Once real money is involved, people will go to ever greater lengths to get some of it at the expense of innocent people.

Other than that, buy/sell/trade by all means.

21. Re: No subject Mar 26, 2008, 13:04 m00t

Well I think it's pretty cut and dry. It's a private game on private servers and you AGREE to their rules when playing the game.

I don't quite agree with Vivendi's way of approaching the guy, but they do run a business.

This just gives them carte blanche to ban people from the game. It isn't necessarily grounds for a legal victory, particularly with a Copyright slant to it.

14. Re: RAM Mar 26, 2008, 11:24 m00t

I'm willing to bet that's a gross over simplification of the actual complaint...

As for bots... they impact the gameplay of other players rather significantly. I don't think blizzard cares if people who use bots stop playing (otherwise why would they ban them?)
but they do consume CPU / net resources.

Likewise they're often used by gold farmers. Gold farmers tend to try to monopolize some segments of the in-game market and force players to buy from them at high rates and then in turn try to get people to pay them real $ for the gold they've gained through the AH so that people can afford the AH prices driven up by gold farming...
And once real $ is involved, people will go a long way to get it, leading to a lot of account hacks and trojans for stealing passwords.

So it's not *just* that people are botting and he created it. It's part of a broad spectrum of abuse that is partially facilitated by the bots.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Command & Conquer 3: Kane’s Wrath
8. Re: World Domination system Mar 25, 2008, 16:57 m00t

Risk basically divides up the world in to a collection of Territories. Each territory has some quantity of units on it that are assigned to defend. On your turn (In Risk anyway), you can take some of the units on a territory and attack an adjacent territory and the units guarding it. In Risk you could attack as many times per turn that you wanted as long as you had the units available. You just wanted to make sure you didn't leave an area too poorly defended as you often did not have a mass of units on territories farther from the front lines.

Rise of Nations also had a mode like this, as did one of the Dawn of War expansions, though obviously not on Earth
This comment was edited on Mar 25, 16:58.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 22:14 m00t

World's hardest game: 8/30 so far. Some are pretty hard.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch & Expansion Plans
14. Re: So What Is The Combat Like? Mar 19, 2008, 14:56 m00t

edit: Looks like it's all space combat like Homeworld. I've never tried one of these. Not sure I'll like it. Guess I could try it out...

Honestly, it's a lot more simple than Homeworld. The 3rd dimension is mostly for look and feel and has only a small bearing on gameplay. Generally you don't spend much time worrying about it. The only times I really notice it is when my ships path over/under a star or when two planet nodes are very close to each other.

Overall it's pretty fun. It's a fair bit different from CoH in that you'll probably focus mostly on your capital ships and lesser units are generally expendable (though you should still try to not lose them...). The scale is quite a bit larger with some maps spanning up to 5 star systems.

Homeworld was a bit more hardcore sci-fi in its implementation. SoaSE is more relaxed.

News Comments > UK Developer Petition
7. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2008, 13:15 m00t

Except for the government which, contrary to popular belief, provide some useful services. Like road maintenance. I hear folks use roads now and then. Public defenders. (In theory) oversight and prosecution of corporate abuses. Oh, and gas subsidies that keep the cost of fuel under $8/gal for you to use on the roads, even though such subsidies probably just make it impossible for alternative energy solutions to compete (though a lot of the patents involving those are in the hands of oil/car companies who have a vested interest in them being uncompetetive... but I digress). Ultimately there needs to be some form of government, I think we can agree on that and the government is not a commercial entity (though should be fiscally responsible) so taxation in some form/amount is necessary. I believe taxes should largely be collected from and spent on services based on who uses them (IE, someone who doesn't own a car should be taxed less than someone who does or more specifically taxes collected from them should be spent less on roads than someone who does own a car. Not 0% on roads as they do benefit from their existence, etc.)

So really it's just a matter of how much responsibility you want the state to (officially) have. (universal healthcare or privatized healthcare? industry regulation or free hand of the market?)

Different things work better for different people/countries. And purely more wealth for everyone does not equate to better living for everyone.

News Comments > John Carmack on Graphics Tech
7. Re: Inaccurate transcription. Mar 12, 2008, 15:34 m00t

Thousand dollar graphics cards? Is he talking about like...2 8800 Ultras in SLI mode or something? I can't think of a single card that costs over $1000 with the exception of maybe this one PNY card I saw, but I don't think it was for gaming. Could be wrong though. *shrug*

Yeah, he was specifically referring to SLI type solutions of "More Money = More Performance" with the same generation of hardware.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch Notes
6. Re: First Game Mar 12, 2008, 14:27 m00t

Agreed with all below. It's pretty slick. Need to practice more though.

Warning: Any maps larger than 'small' will probably take a few hours at least to play.

News Comments > StarCraft II Ads Correction
8. Re: No subject Mar 6, 2008, 18:38 m00t

Besides, why would they advertise when their games sell millions of copies anyway?

Most of the ads I remember on battle.net were for Warcraft books and the like. I imagine with the Blactivision merger they'll ad(d) activision properties to the mix so they can leverage blizzard's success.

News Comments > WoW Patch Plans
10. Re: I've been debating... Feb 2, 2008, 18:52 m00t

How do you mean they haven't listed most of the changes in 2.4? What stuff have they missed out? Looks pretty thorough to me.

I mean, we've heard nothing of the nerfs that are coming with any buffs. Don't have the official patch notes, and if you read some of the sources you'd note that they say "this is some of it".

I'd rather they just post the patch notes for what they have now as patch notes on the test forum than sprinkle it all over and make people hunt for it. It's pointless and annoying.

405 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo