Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for m00t

Real Name m00t   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description m00t
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 4, 2003, 23:52
Total Comments 407 (Amateur)
User ID 16358

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Dec 8, 2014, 16:49 m00t

I wonder if you have to always be online to play it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2014, 11:49 m00t

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 9, 2014, 09:42:
Stephen Hawking wrote:
“The Higgs potential has the worrisome feature that it might become metastable at energies above 100bn gigaelectronvolts,” Hawking writes. “This could mean that the universe could undergo catastrophic vacuum decay, with a bubble of the true vacuum expanding at the speed of light.”
Sounds like the kind of gibberish used to set up the plot of a cheesy disaster movie. But at least he goes on to say:

Stephen Hawking wrote:
“A particle accelerator that reaches 100bn GeV would be larger than Earth, and is unlikely to be funded in the present economic climate,”

I recommend reading some of Stephen's other works before jumping to conclusions. This is just his sense of humor.

As for the article itself, it clearly states these quotes are from the preface to a book. The (original, Sunday Times) article author read the preface and thought to make a story, so blame him for it if you want to blame anyone.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2014, 11:56.

News Comments > Merry Naxxramas
18. Re: Merry Naxxramas Jul 23, 2014, 11:31 m00t

Keilun wrote on Jul 23, 2014, 04:41:
descender wrote on Jul 22, 2014, 23:52:
The heroic bosses are just insane.

If anyone was worried about "completing" this part of the content too quickly well... good luck. The first heroic boss summons a 4/4 for 2 mana on turn one, and then it gets worse from there.

<strats>

For Anub I used a frost mage. Lots of control (frost nova, ice lance, frost bolt, cone of cold), and then periodically wiped the board with flame strike. Focused on using spells for removal and minions for damage since you're not likely to have enough spells to do 45 health worth of damage.

Faerlina was the hardest. Similar strat as Keilun, but with hunter (My warrior cards are crap). Focus on cheap removal. It took a few tries as the 5/6 taunt minion coming when you've got no way to kill it is basically defeat. Empty hand is a must because your minions have little or no health. Cheap taunts can deflect some early damage. Even a 1 or 2 hound unleash is worth it if you can buff them even a little. Faerlina mostly relies on her hero power and the worshipers attack buff to clear your minions and goes to face with her own.

Maexxna was pretty easy but tedious. I used a paladin heal deck. Took only two tries. The key is lasting until you can cycle your Guardian of Kings and Wolf Rider while setting up the board in a way that minimizes your damage. Maexxna will always web wrap before attacking. Battle cry minions are incredibly powerful. I loaded up with Voodoo Doctors, Earthen Ring Farseers, Elven Archer, Dwarven Rifleman. The key is loading the board with 1/1s as stated, so using archers and riflemen to trigger the spider death rattle and trying to keep nerubian eggs alive is what is needed to keep the damage incoming balanced with your healing. I went into fatigue for 3 turns before I got the kill. Also, only play 2 guys if you care about any of them early on as the wrap is random and she *might* trade a 1/1 for one of them fouling up the board for you.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2014, 11:48.

News Comments > Evolve Alpha Signups
9. Re: Evolve Alpha Signups Jul 5, 2014, 00:13 m00t

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 20:37:
Since all 4 hunters are drastically different, I wonder how the game plays once the monster takes one out. If it happens in the first couple minutes, will the hunter team simply quit?

The hunter team just needs to survive until the dropship arrives and resurrects the dead teammates.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 3, 2014, 12:38 m00t

Hah, what morons. USPS knows where those were mailed from, so they're probably busted.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
12. Re: Morning Previews Jun 20, 2014, 12:51 m00t

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 20, 2014, 12:24:
I believe it is a twist stick, so rudder control is pretty natural.
I was thinking about getting the CH stick and throttle combo, I've heard they are top notch quality but the lack of twist stick made me change my mind.

Yeah, I thought it wouldn't bother me as you can remap the mini-joystick axes to function as a rudder, but the twist stick I had on my ancient Sidewinder was just too convenient.

Other than that, I like it. It's not quite supported in a lot of games, though. At least not without opening the CH drivers and reconfiguring things there which can be tedious.

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Jun 20, 2014, 12:19 m00t

Hey, nin, does that stick have an easy to use rudder control?

I picked up a CH products stick and throttle a while back. It's pretty good but doesn't provide an easy rudder unless you go with the foot pedals which I don't have room for.

5. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2014, 18:43 m00t

Blue, FYI, when loading the site on mobile I am frequently getting redirected to the App Store. Not just it opens the App Store but it takes me away from bluesnews to the dummy page that launches the App Store. Thought you should know

d.mobpartner.mobi/. Was the hostname if it's useful

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 27, 2014, 14:14 m00t

There was doubt about the Atari thing? This was reported at the time it happened. There should never have been any doubt...

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/09/28/business/atari-parts-are-dumped.html

News Comments > RAGE Free Weekend
10. Re: RAGE Free Weekend Nov 21, 2013, 22:19 m00t

Bill Borre wrote on Nov 21, 2013, 21:41:
lol. Most players can prolly finish the game over the weekend.

Assuming the download finished before the weekend does...

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January
16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Dragonfall (Berlin) in January Nov 19, 2013, 21:26 m00t

Parias wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 13:23:
I'm curious about the technicalities of this though - is it as simple as specifying a flag like "CanSaveAnywhere = Yes" (in which case, why not make it an engine-default), or do you actually have to alter the entire logic structure of your module to make this actually function?

Sounds a bit unusual for something that's normally a core game engine function rather than something modders need to specifically design around.

As I understand it, it's pretty involved and was not a trivial change to the engine.

That said, I didn't really feel like it needed a save anywhere. I only ran in to 2 missions that I felt I wasted some time getting back to the spot I didn't do well on, so I guess it wasn't really a big deal to me that it wasn't there.

News Comments > TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns
12. Re: TotalBiscuit's Day One Garry's Incident Review Returns Oct 21, 2013, 18:35 m00t

Rattlehead wrote on Oct 21, 2013, 18:31:
What is Garry's Incident
Garbage

and besides this fiasco should I care?
No.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 13, 2013, 14:02 m00t

Blue wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 11:31:
InBlack wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 11:21:
Blue here is an idea, youre not going to like it but here it is anyway. Have you done a clean Windows (re)install after your last hardware upgrade? I make it a point that I format the boot sector and do a clean OS install every time I make a significant hardware change.

I did a clean install a couple of months ago. The only hardware change since then was changing the RAM, PSU, and switching NVIDIA cards. If a video card upgrade now requires an OS reinstall I think I'll just give up.

One last thing to just look at, is find the chip on the motherboard that manages the PCI-E bus. If it has a fan, verify that fan is clean and turning. If not, see if that chip is extraordinarily warm. As I mentioned the other day, a bad chipset fan caused all kinds of graphical errors and crashes in a previous machine that persisted through video-card and RAM swaps.

The symptoms in my case were periodic geometry and texture corruption as play sessions became progressively longer/intense. I'd end up with massive spears coming out of models and stripey rainbow textures on some things and eventually everything. It was pretty trippy.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2013, 18:04 m00t

I have had similar problems when my motherboard chipset overheated due to a faulty or inadequate fan/heat sink.

Do you sometimes see weird geometry corruption where giant spikes come out of models?

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending
15. Re: Steam Family Sharing Announced; Will Allow Game Lending Sep 11, 2013, 14:46 m00t

The limitation that I think most people will run into is that only one person can use the library at a time.

IE, You're playing Counter-Strike from my library, and I log in to play Skyrim, you will get booted off.

I think it'll still be good for "Hey, you have got to try XYZ game!" or if you're a 2 PC household and one person is at work and you want to play the new game they just got without using their computer.

It's a (good) marketing tool and could be good for giving kids access to games for fixed periods of time without having to buy games for their account directly.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 3, 2013, 12:28 m00t

nin wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 09:44:
For me, at least, there is a blank where the embedded video should appear.

OK, I thought that was just on my end, or I would have mentioned it sooner. Been seeing it for about a week or more now...

What browser(s)? I've been having this problem on multiple sites (including youtube) with Chrome, but no problems with Firefox.

News Comments > WoW Security Warning
16. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 26, 2013, 02:08 m00t

PropheT wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:38:
m00t wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 12:42:
What I don't know for sure is if the cookie is tied to a specific machine, made non-transferable by some technical method. (overcome if you use a custom login program because you just lie, but prevents it from being copied and used with the normal launcher)

My understanding is that it keeps an encrypted cookie (if that's the right term here I guess) locally stored to the machine, but the system still requires IP range verification in order to region lock the account. Even with the cookie stored locally the account still requires authentication if you move outside of the network range where you originally set the check file, so if you live in NY and someone tries to access your account from Oregon, for example, it doesn't matter if that cookie is there or not; it forces authentication for the account to confirm ownership.

Blizzard still denies that people with authenticators are getting accounts compromised, and just by the way the tool works it's hard to see how they're wrong. The only way I can see it not being secure is if you use the mobile auth on a jailbroken/non-rooted phone.

Basically true, yes. I think there is an unavoidable local flaw if your machine is compromised. They don't have to run the WoW Client, there are almost certainly malware apps that can connect and issue commands as though they were the client and the person on the machine wouldn't even notice.

If windows users practiced (and were not prevented from practicing by the design of windows) good security practices by not browsing on a full privilege account, it'd be a lot harder to have a meaningful client breach.

News Comments > WoW Security Warning
5. Re: WoW Security Warning Jun 25, 2013, 12:42 m00t

Speculation on how authenticators work: Specifically in the case where it doesn't require it every time, I believe it leaves an authenticator cookie on the local machine, so if you try to log in with a different machine, it'll still ask you for it. Now, if your machine is compromised, you're screwed either way. If you have a cookie, they probably can just take that (or use malware on your machine to utilize it directly from there), or next time you log in and enter your authenticator, they block the log-in attempt from reaching Blizzard servers and use the auth key, login and password to do it from their machine.

So, authenticators are good if they haven't compromised your machine but they know your login/pass (lazy / bad password management), but as with most security, anyone with full access to your local box can do whatever they want.

What I don't know for sure is if the cookie is tied to a specific machine, made non-transferable by some technical method. (overcome if you use a custom login program because you just lie, but prevents it from being copied and used with the normal launcher)

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2013, 13:57 m00t

RollinThundr wrote on May 29, 2013, 13:27:
m00t wrote on May 29, 2013, 12:12:
Good to see the MRA-tards out in force. Thanks for outing yourselves!
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img35/7840/righte.jpg[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just gonna leave this here.

Weird, in 1995 I distinctly recall many women playing the same games I was and they were every bit as good as the men playing, in spite of the constant flood of abuse they received.

As to the "loser" quotes, that wasn't women, that was most of society and continues to this day at varying levels depending on which games you're playing.

Essentially all that image tells me is that you are socially inept and feel hurt that people are calling you out on your misogyny.

Maybe you just need a hug.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse May 29, 2013, 12:12 m00t

Good to see the MRA-tards out in force. Thanks for outing yourselves!  

407 Comments. 21 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo