Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Aries

Real Name Mike Aries   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scud
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 27, 2003, 22:00
Total Comments 363 (Amateur)
User ID 16312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
108. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 21:23 Scud

beremot wrote on Mar 1, 2015, 04:16:
I sure as hell hope not. I'm a big admirer of big tits, hourglass figures and long legs--particularly in RL. But when it comes to female characters that my daughter, who is currently four years old, can emulate or admire, I want more than just the big tit, hourglass figure and long leg variety for her. My son has a multitude of male characters to select from in books, movies, and yes video games ... so why shouldn't she?
No reason at all, I have never had any problem with more versatile or nuanced female characters in video games (or anywhere else for that matter) I just think that the world is big enough for both that and tropes to exist in. I, like many others wonder what exactly is stopping women (or men) from making more female friendly games, put up a Kickstarter or something, worked pretty well for Anita after all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
100. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2015, 04:04 Scud

beremot wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 14:06:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 02:52:
There was a time in the U.S. where caricatures of black people--huge lips, bugged out eyes, arms full of watermelon--were considered perfectly acceptable. Not only were they considered perfectly acceptable, the very idea that there was something discriminatory about them would have itself been considered an affront to white society.

Same thing with other routinely targeted groups like homosexuals. In the 1970s mainstream movies frequently depicted gay men as effeminate, limp-wristed, lisping fops. Not only was this routinely accepted, if you questioned it, then you were the one violating acceptable social norms, and you could expect to be treated accordingly.

It's the same thing with the way women are frequently depicted in some forms of popular culture today. Not as human beings, not as individuals, but as a collection of exaggerated sexual characteristics walking about in the form of a human being. The very idea that there could be something wrong with this, that maybe it should be changed, still strikes a lot of men (and yes, some women) as ridiculous--an affront to the established social order, to the way things just "naturally are."

We still have racism and homophobia in our society today, but the type of caricatures that would have been considered perfectly acceptable not that long ago, are now viewed by most decent people, as inherently wrong.

This didn't happen because the "government" banned such caricatures or punished people for creating them--it happened because blacks and gays fought back against them, often in the face of extremely hostile resistance, and the general culture eventually evolved.

Women will get there someday.
That's pretty good, but I don't think the comparisons quite match up.
The caricatures of blacks you describe were probably created by and for the amusement of racists while also denigrating blacks, and your homosexual example is more of a stereotype than a caricature. And there are some similarities but most of the physical exaggeration when depicting certain female attributes is more about sexual fantasy than a deliberate attack on women. Most men dream about sex, this comes naturally but imaging racist caricatures is probably much less common and so it went away. So big tits, hourglass figures, and long legs are probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

News Comments > etc.
40. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 05:31 Scud

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2015, 01:46:
It isn't cherry picking! She is showing a series of tropes, and tropes either exist or do not. Showing that they exist isn't cherry picking. She doesn't need to put the context in because she isn't judging or condemning individual games, just showing the prevalence of tropes.

I can't fathom how you do that without "cherry picking." Do you show a random clip from a game and say whether or not the trope is in that clip?
How do you propose doing this without "cherry picking?"

Perhaps by "Cherry Picking" I mean that she focuses on one part of a game, namely violence against and the sexual objectification of women while ignoring things that might weaken her assertion that women are the primary targets in games. For instance, she complains that women are often nothing more than objects to be acted on by the player, ignoring the fact that games like GTA and Watch Dogs are almost made up entirely of disposable NPC's whose only purpose is to fill out scenes or react to or become victims of player generated mayhem.
She is also drawing her own conclusions about how these tropes affect the real world or at least leading the viewer to certain conclusions. There is a whole section in her last video that discusses real world rape statistics and accuses games that employ such themes as "Normalizing and trivializing their experiences" this is more than just artistic critique.

News Comments > etc.
36. Re: etc. Feb 25, 2015, 01:04 Scud

Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 23:21:
Can we atop with the non-gamer nonsense? She isn't an outsider invading your turf. You're taking an out of context quote from a video you didn't watch or read a transcript of.
I think what people really mean when they accuse her of being a non-gamer is that she's just using the fact that video games are the current moral panic du-jour as a vehicle for fame and career advancement. And yes she does cherry pick, she puts together a violence against women supercut knowing it will hit all the right emotional buttons in some people. She takes instances of bad things happening to women and removes them from any surrounding context to make it appear as though it's a representation of that game as a whole. She even goes so far as to claim that the mutilated corpses in Bioshock 2 were purposely arranged in an erotic fashion, because corpses are just so hot you know.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
11. Re: Evening Interviews Feb 18, 2015, 04:42 Scud

I've been hearing a lot lately that suggests that 16 is far from "Nearly Done" in brain development, it's more like 25. While lack of brain development is an acceptable explanation it is not an acceptable excuse.
Short story on brain development
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

1badmf wrote on Feb 18, 2015, 03:57:
with any other hehavioral problem i would agree with you, but there's a saying in psychology - you can't grow a conscience. sociopaths are born, and to a much lesser extent bred. at 16 his brain development should be 'nearly done', as should his sense of morality. we're not talking about a little boy here, but a young adult.

to make matters worse, it seems he's still at the extremely low end of the empathy spectrum. at several points it's clear he has no clue about the negative effects of his actions on others, just that they amuse him. if at 16 he doesn't realize that swatting and doxxing are cruel actions, i doubt he ever will. source - i asked my friend about this, who's getting her ph.D in child psychology from harvard.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 1, 2015, 17:26 Scud

The motives are the same, the audience is just smaller. Being harassed and humiliated on a smaller scale can be just if not more devastating than in front of a national audience.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
10. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jan 24, 2015, 21:31 Scud

I thought I heard somewhere that they found the threats to be not credible but I couldn't find the source. Personally I doubt most of these threats amount to much, the anonymity of the internet and the promise of a world wide audience is too much of a temptation for many a socially maladjusted fuckwit.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 12, 2015, 12:16 Scud

I don't recall ever getting a special plugin for it but I use Firefox and it always shows me the URL when I hover over the link. And yes, very handy for avoiding bullshit sites.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 10, 2015, 19:57 Scud

My Droid Razer HD has 32gigs onboard and I've got a 32gig SD card in it as well. I use the card to store my music as it would otherwise eat up most of the phone's onboard memory. Anything with less then 32gigs is useless to me.

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Jan 10, 2015, 19:47:
One thing I saw recently regarding a phone was it came with 16gigs of RAM. However, I don't know a single person who uses their phone to the extent where 16gigs of RAM is needed.. hell, not even 8?

It seems to me that phones are reaching a tipping point where I don't know what they can add that I need or want next? Heck, I have a 3+ yr old phone and it runs everything I do pefectly.. and I'm a "power user".

I don't know what phone tech is next, but it has to be a "must need" for me.. else, I'm fine for a while.

News Comments > Razer Unveils OSVR Headset
7. Re: Razer Unveils OSVR Headset Jan 6, 2015, 15:02 Scud

Of course most of the features won't work unless you're running Synapse.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 25, 2014, 22:37 Scud

Might as well just go one step further and use the save game editor to give yourself anything you want.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2014, 04:43 Scud

Nehrim was awesome, I hope this doesn't take too long, hopefully they held off on announcing it until they were close to finished. Nehrim did however have a few cities that sent my framerate into the basement, I wonder if this one will be the same.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
18. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 2, 2014, 22:43 Scud

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 08:05:
You just took the biggest giant dump on 99% of the people on the planet. Not that I disagree with you, but that's just the way it is. People love to flounder their social status and wealth, we are programmed at a genetic level to do so. It's not limited to jewlery. How else to explain the trophy wives/mistresses, the lavish lifestyles of the rich and famous, the MTV videos jammed with Bling, the hundred billion dollar yachts of the oligarchs, etc. etc. etc.

Just because it's human nature doesn't mean you can't name it for what it is, the pursuit of status is probably the greatest source human misery in history, and we're all guilty to one degree or another. And I'm sure the oligarchs and billionaires will be mortified when they find out one of the peasantry dissed them.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
16. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 1, 2014, 23:44 Scud

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 16:09:
Personally I've never understood the attraction of jewellery and have never worn any. And that status hasn't changed. It's just that dumb people get it wrong and believe it's about ostentatious displays of wealth, when it's not.

I totally agree, unfortunately the world is teeming with dumb people who think ostentatious displays of wealth actually make them special.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2014, 23:17 Scud

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 21:25:
Elonis, a former amusement park worker, insisted that he did not mean to frighten his ex-wife and that the rants were merely a way to blow off steam.

None of the justices appeared to agree.

I'm on the side of the justices here. I'm just so tired of people threatening things for which they'd be arrested if they did it in person.

Talking about something is the same as doing it then? Or do you mean threatening them in person as opposed to via Facebook or Twitter, etc.

News Comments > etc.
3. Video Game Remakes Nov 29, 2014, 22:08 Scud

I'm not sure if GTA V and The Last of Us really belong it that article, neither of those games are old by any definition. The night/day shots of Halo were cool though, I'd consider it if it didn't mean buying an Xbox.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2014, 22:01 Scud

I only read the article so far, but Savage comes off sounding much more thoughtful about the issue. Which is much better than just puffing up his chest and blasting one side or the other, it's sad when that kind of attitude becomes the exception rather than the norm.  

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store
5. Re: Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store Nov 7, 2014, 21:42 Scud

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:37:
Very nice free game offering; Metro 2033 has a great atmosphere, decent story, decent gameplay. My biggest gripe was actually shooting off a ton of the expensive ammo by accident in the middle of a fight, ugh instant game-reload.

Yeah, I always thought 'ammo as currency' was a questionable design choice, and they weren't even that much better than the crappy ammo they made themselves.

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 23:14 Scud

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:30:
dubfanatic wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:26:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:22:
Those are factors of both the shooting and misogyny, but shooting a woman because she won't be yours is absolutely misogyny.

Same with the California shootings. I know Milo Breitbart said it was due to video games, not misogyny, but shooting women because they won't have sex with you; having such a feeling of entitlement to their bodies that they deserve to die for not allowing you access to it, is misogyny, your eyeroll emoticon or not.

If we reversed the genders here, and it was a spurned girl who murdered a boy, would it be misandry?

There's no institutionalized or historical version of women having control or ownership of a man's body, so no, yet there are still some states where a man legally cannot rape his wife.

Murder is murder, and it shouldn't matter whether you are a man or a woman. While you may be able to argue that misogyny played a part in this, it is not the whole story. Women's history does not make someone trying to take a tragedy and spinning it to serve their narrow social and political agendas any less disgusting.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
44. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 21:46 Scud

Icewind wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:46:
loomy wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:38:
intolerant assholes on all sides are responsible for this mess. it's not about games. it's a religious war against disagreement. everyone needs to shut the fuck up and leave people be

Bingo.

Every hobby will always have people that like "A" style.
It will also have people that like "B" style.
People who like "A" style hate people who like "B" style, and vice-versa.

So the folks who want more "Gone Home" style games about lesbians and sexual tolerance need to learn to accept the folks that want CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshot games just as much as the latter group needs to accept the former.

But no, that would be too easy, and everyone wants to bitch. I've grown tired of it.
Feminists like Sarkeesian think that the sexist and violent depictions of women in video games significantly contributes to sexism and violence against women in the real world. So it's like the old violence and video games debate only re-packaged for a more feminist leaning audience. So as long as they believe that CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshots pose a genuine threat to society they will continue in their crusade.

363 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo