Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mike Aries

Real Name Mike Aries   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Scud
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 27, 2003, 22:00
Total Comments 352 (Amateur)
User ID 16312

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 13, 2014, 04:43 Scud

Nehrim was awesome, I hope this doesn't take too long, hopefully they held off on announcing it until they were close to finished. Nehrim did however have a few cities that sent my framerate into the basement, I wonder if this one will be the same.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
18. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 2, 2014, 22:43 Scud

InBlack wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 08:05:
You just took the biggest giant dump on 99% of the people on the planet. Not that I disagree with you, but that's just the way it is. People love to flounder their social status and wealth, we are programmed at a genetic level to do so. It's not limited to jewlery. How else to explain the trophy wives/mistresses, the lavish lifestyles of the rich and famous, the MTV videos jammed with Bling, the hundred billion dollar yachts of the oligarchs, etc. etc. etc.

Just because it's human nature doesn't mean you can't name it for what it is, the pursuit of status is probably the greatest source human misery in history, and we're all guilty to one degree or another. And I'm sure the oligarchs and billionaires will be mortified when they find out one of the peasantry dissed them.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
16. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Dec 1, 2014, 23:44 Scud

Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 16:09:
Personally I've never understood the attraction of jewellery and have never worn any. And that status hasn't changed. It's just that dumb people get it wrong and believe it's about ostentatious displays of wealth, when it's not.

I totally agree, unfortunately the world is teeming with dumb people who think ostentatious displays of wealth actually make them special.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2014, 23:17 Scud

jdreyer wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 21:25:
Elonis, a former amusement park worker, insisted that he did not mean to frighten his ex-wife and that the rants were merely a way to blow off steam.

None of the justices appeared to agree.

I'm on the side of the justices here. I'm just so tired of people threatening things for which they'd be arrested if they did it in person.

Talking about something is the same as doing it then? Or do you mean threatening them in person as opposed to via Facebook or Twitter, etc.

News Comments > etc.
3. Video Game Remakes Nov 29, 2014, 22:08 Scud

I'm not sure if GTA V and The Last of Us really belong it that article, neither of those games are old by any definition. The night/day shots of Halo were cool though, I'd consider it if it didn't mean buying an Xbox.  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2014, 22:01 Scud

I only read the article so far, but Savage comes off sounding much more thoughtful about the issue. Which is much better than just puffing up his chest and blasting one side or the other, it's sad when that kind of attitude becomes the exception rather than the norm.  

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store
5. Re: Free Metro 2033 from Humble Store Nov 7, 2014, 21:42 Scud

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 21:37:
Very nice free game offering; Metro 2033 has a great atmosphere, decent story, decent gameplay. My biggest gripe was actually shooting off a ton of the expensive ammo by accident in the middle of a fight, ugh instant game-reload.

Yeah, I always thought 'ammo as currency' was a questionable design choice, and they weren't even that much better than the crappy ammo they made themselves.

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Oct 30, 2014, 23:14 Scud

Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:30:
dubfanatic wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:26:
Beamer wrote on Oct 30, 2014, 20:22:
Those are factors of both the shooting and misogyny, but shooting a woman because she won't be yours is absolutely misogyny.

Same with the California shootings. I know Milo Breitbart said it was due to video games, not misogyny, but shooting women because they won't have sex with you; having such a feeling of entitlement to their bodies that they deserve to die for not allowing you access to it, is misogyny, your eyeroll emoticon or not.

If we reversed the genders here, and it was a spurned girl who murdered a boy, would it be misandry?

There's no institutionalized or historical version of women having control or ownership of a man's body, so no, yet there are still some states where a man legally cannot rape his wife.

Murder is murder, and it shouldn't matter whether you are a man or a woman. While you may be able to argue that misogyny played a part in this, it is not the whole story. Women's history does not make someone trying to take a tragedy and spinning it to serve their narrow social and political agendas any less disgusting.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
44. Re: Sunday Interviews Oct 19, 2014, 21:46 Scud

Icewind wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:46:
loomy wrote on Oct 19, 2014, 20:38:
intolerant assholes on all sides are responsible for this mess. it's not about games. it's a religious war against disagreement. everyone needs to shut the fuck up and leave people be

Bingo.

Every hobby will always have people that like "A" style.
It will also have people that like "B" style.
People who like "A" style hate people who like "B" style, and vice-versa.

So the folks who want more "Gone Home" style games about lesbians and sexual tolerance need to learn to accept the folks that want CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshot games just as much as the latter group needs to accept the former.

But no, that would be too easy, and everyone wants to bitch. I've grown tired of it.
Feminists like Sarkeesian think that the sexist and violent depictions of women in video games significantly contributes to sexism and violence against women in the real world. So it's like the old violence and video games debate only re-packaged for a more feminist leaning audience. So as long as they believe that CoD killfests and Bayonetta crotchshots pose a genuine threat to society they will continue in their crusade.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer
16. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer Oct 14, 2014, 00:12 Scud

Minnesota here, so yeah, in the US. I did Google it and it sounds like I'm not the only one having problems.  

14. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 23:41 Scud

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 23:08:
Scud wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 22:52:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 18:56:
Green Man Gaming - 25% off, makes the game $45 USD.

RK46I-J838Q-TKRMT

I fell for it....

/Preloaded, will post first impressions as soon as it opens.
"Unable to add voucher", well, dammit.

I have a 20, 23, I will post. Try this:
KH1KZW-XP99VE-PGPGXH (23%)
ZHKQQJ-1KKD6E-1JHKCT (20%)

Nope, no dice, but thanks for trying Bats.

12. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Launch Trailer Oct 13, 2014, 22:52 Scud

xXBatmanXx wrote on Oct 13, 2014, 18:56:
Green Man Gaming - 25% off, makes the game $45 USD.

RK46I-J838Q-TKRMT

I fell for it....

/Preloaded, will post first impressions as soon as it opens.
"Unable to add voucher", well, dammit.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 9, 2014, 23:14 Scud

So I guess at some point all the game developers got together and decided that from now on all mech combat games must MOBA only. Brilliant.  

News Comments > Styx Next Month; New Trailers
8. Re: Styx Next Month; New Trailers Sep 28, 2014, 03:35 Scud

Fletch wrote on Sep 27, 2014, 22:21:
WDIGN prompts?
I apparently haven't been keeping up, what the hell is a WDIGN Prompt?

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 23:11 Scud

Slick wrote on Sep 18, 2014, 17:58:
it's every bit as big of a deal if it's from some gamer, or a muslim extremist.

how does the race/ethnicity of the criminal affect the criminality of their acts?

to effectively terrorize someone you don't have to blow them up. threatening people's lives and inducing a constant state of fear is a terrorizing tactic. try phoning in a bomb threat and see if the FBI will treat you any differently cause you're "just a gamer, probably not likely to follow through".

crimes are crimes. and any degree of complacency is an accessory IMO. that's all this is about.

it's so sad to still be reading people saying shit like: "yeah whatever, she's just a self-important cunt, she deserves it". it's an attack on human decency.

how the fuck different are we if we see something we don't like/don't agree with, and we consider threatening their lives as an appropriate response? what the fuck planet is this?

p.s. not yelling at you in particular, just yelling in general

My point simply was that real terrorist organizations have to actually carry out at least some of their threats to be taken seriously. If all Hamas ever did was post nasty messages about Israel do you think anyone would give a fuck? Society has plenty of people who will talk all kinds of shit when they think they're safe and anonymous, but the number of people who will actually do the crazy things they describe is very very small. I'm not saying that it isn't shitty, I'm just saying that getting threats from a known terrorist group is not the same as getting threats from some anonymous asshole.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 15:22 Scud

The over the top responses from that minority of gamers disgusts me as well, but Muslim extremists have a well established reputation for committing acts of violence. These gamers on the other hand are pretty much all talk, few, if any will ever have the balls to follow through on the ridiculous threats they make.  

News Comments > Seldon Crisis Announced
8. Re: Seldon Crisis Announced Aug 23, 2014, 00:19 Scud

To me, naming a warship the 'Hari Seldon' makes about as much sense as the U.S. Navy naming a warship after Sigmund Freud, and it only has one big cannon.(and it's just a cannon, nothing else, honest!)  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
19. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 15, 2014, 23:47 Scud

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:49:
You've obviously never dined in Europe. When serving staff make living wages there isn't much inclination to do any real work, know your products, be polite, etc.

You would be correct, I've never even been to Europe. However, I find it hard to believe that tipping is the only solution to that problem. In most other industries when you don't do any real work, know your product or are not polite then the customer complains to the management and they get fired. What makes food service any different?

Shok wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 23:53:
STFU Mr. Pink and tip!

And for the record I do tip, not tipping only punishes the people who are serving you.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 14, 2014, 23:02 Scud

Cutter wrote on Jul 14, 2014, 20:18:
And that's precisely why everyone should do at least one stint in a restaurant at some point in their lives. You then understand why not only tipping is necessary, but tipping well. Most people think a monkey could do it, but they really couldn't manage it if their very lives depended on it.

Tipping is only necessary because the restaurant industry discovered it could get out of paying it's employees by passing the responsibility on to the customer.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 24, 2014, 15:04 Scud

Except there's still a little problem with the fact that you don't own the space you're selling, the city does. I can only imagine the kind of shit that will get started when someone is waiting for somebody else to leave a spot and is told that they're not leaving until the person who paid them to leave shows up. Also, ParkModo was guilty of paying people to take up spaces but it's just those kinds of "innovations" that this kind of system will lead to.  

352 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo