Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 1167 (Pro)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 14, 2015, 23:29 Orogogus

Their coverage in Austin is apparently not very complete, either. My brother just moved there, so I assumed he was going to hook up with Google Fiber, but no, the apartment he moved into isn't covered, and neither is a significant portion of the city.

I don't see where Tom's coming from. Their rate of expansion is glacial, and the current serviced cities starts at America's 11th largest (Austin). The cities they announced in January will take them up to #6. I'm not really expecting to see it in San Diego before I retire.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Confirmed
34. Re: Titanfall 2 Confirmed Mar 13, 2015, 12:45 Orogogus

Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 06:51:
Flo wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 06:41:
Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 06:19:
Flo wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 03:57:
Haven't played a multiplayer game for more than 20 hours since .. hmm .. Quake Wars I guess but Titanfall kept me coming back.
At least you'll be able to play a 1VS1 battle against IAMLIT_REFLEX...
Player count was pretty great in the first two months, but I have to admit, havent played it much since.
I bought it for 5 bucks on Steam. It's a desert, depending on the time of the day and country. Lag and drops festival. I'll try it once more before I give up entirely.

Are we talking about Titanfall? It's an EA game, and not available on Steam, isn't it?

News Comments > Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten
42. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 13, 2015, 12:33 Orogogus

nomoreshite wrote on Mar 13, 2015, 12:02:
Sorry, but logically you make no sense, the hardware they use to play the game on is not subsidized in price, so why the fuck should the game be a lower price!.

This is all to do with the % of profit that can be extracted, and avoiding the free-market.

Strangely Rich fuckers like the free market to lower wages (china is getting too expensive, so a lot are shifting to even cheaper countries), But don't want consumers to have the same choice! (lobbying to prevent grey imports and other shit!).

You obviously like being squeezed for every dime like a tube of tooth paste!

See, this is what I was talking about. Are video game manufacturers shipping their work overseas? For the most part, no. Customer service is in India in a few cases like EA, but for most part they're made in the same country as their HQ. Are you going to reward the industry for keeping jobs at home? No, you're going to screw them as hard as you can, because someone is making money so fuck everyone.

And in any case, the free market doesn't say that games would be cheaper, at Russian prices, without region restrictions. Like NKD said, they would simply not be sold at the lower price at all; there is every reason to believe they would be more expensive, to make up for the lost income stream.

Someone asked why games are more expensive in some poor countries, such as in Eastern European. When that happens it's generally because of massive corruption -- a situation where any goods being sold have to go through several layers of palm-greasing -- or a country taxing nonessential goods at exorbitant rates to squeeze money out of people where there's any money to be had. I'm given to understand this is the case in Brazil.

30. Re: Steam Gift Restrictions Tighten Mar 12, 2015, 17:53 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 16:11:
It's a bad analogy to compare physical good like milk to digital ones. You can't ship milk instantly across the world, and you can't illegally make endless copies of it. Also, the rules of supply and demand kind of go out the window a bit, because there's an endless supply. Also, each game is its own mini-monopoly. There's only one Civ 5. I can go play the similar GalCiv, but it's not the same. Games are expensive to make, and I don't blame them for trying to recoup what each market will bear, in each market.

You're going to try to have a discussion with Cutter? Why? I don't even have to read his post to know that his argument is going to be, "someone is making money, so fuck 'em all."

14. Re: Steam Making Piracy More Interesting Mar 12, 2015, 13:17 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 13:05:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:53:
El Pit wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:51:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:49:
Realistically, I don't think gifting games barred from sale in a region was ever legal.

Wrong. It worked. E.g. Dead Island is not available here AT ALL, but I got it as a gift. I got at least 20+ games exactly this way.

I didn't say it didn't work, I said I didn't think it was legal.

For whom is it illegal? The paying customer, the gifting friend, or Steam in the US? Is Gabe afraid that OZ and Germany will be invading the US soon and will take him his desk away? Again: Gifting was a fair means to make a trade: money for game. Take this away, and piracy rates will go up, and this time it's not the fault of the customer. The money is here, but the companies don't want it. Alright then. Their choice.

It would be up to Valve to make sure that gifting doesn't evade local laws, so illegal for Steam in the US.

I don't know how to put this politely, but... what the fuck is wrong with you? If it's illegal in Germany, they're not worried that Germany's going to invade the US. They'd be worried about the German government cutting off Steam in their country and levying fines every day until it complies with local laws. If Microsoft and Google can't do whatever they want, what makes you think Valve gets some kind of free pass? Why do you think this is a problem with companies and not your local laws?

12. Re: Steam Making Piracy More Interesting Mar 12, 2015, 12:53 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:51:
Orogogus wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:49:
Realistically, I don't think gifting games barred from sale in a region was ever legal.

Wrong. It worked. E.g. Dead Island is not available here AT ALL, but I got it as a gift. I got at least 20+ games exactly this way.

I didn't say it didn't work, I said I didn't think it was legal.

9. Re: Steam Making Piracy More Interesting Mar 12, 2015, 12:49 Orogogus

El Pit wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 12:43:
So, let me see: some games are not available legally here. But they can be gifted. Now, big money takes away that possibility to legally obtain a copy of their games. Result: more piracy. DIRTY PIRATES! It's all their fault, and not the result of corporate greed and idiotic laws!

I own hundreds of games on Steam, Origin, GOG, and even some on UPlay. I will still buy every uncensored game - even if it is overpriced in my region! - but all the other games that I am no longer allowed to buy or get gifted will have to find a different way to get on my computer. Your loss, corporate scrooges.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 12, 2015, 12:35 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 12, 2015, 09:40:
Think back on your life and tell me that at no point have you ever said "I'm going to kill you", even in jest with friends. Do you want to be locked up for something that is obviously a joke?

I can think of zero times I said something like that in jest to people who weren't friends, definable here as people who might possibly take me to court for it. When would you ever do that? Can you link one of those court cases?

News Comments > Descent Reboot Kickstarter
41. Re: Descent Reboot Kickstarter Mar 12, 2015, 12:30 Orogogus

To be honest I only played Descent 1 & 2 in multiplayer, albeit mostly in co-op.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
20. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 11, 2015, 14:39 Orogogus

He didn't say left wing, did he?  

News Comments > Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue?
21. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 11, 2015, 14:09 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 09:17:
All that tells you is that WH40k was written for a table top, adaption to PC should and needs to change races to be more compromising (except Orks, Necrons and Chaos)

Also Humans, Eldar and Tau all have rebels that may very well be compromising. It's just that due to Games Workshop locking down the IP there was never really any proper world building done, not the same way as say for Battletech (However little sense THAT made there).

Except Orks, Necrons, Chaos and Tyranids. And probably Dark Eldar; I don't know how diplomatic you can really be when your race's thing is backstabbing. There are more non-diplomatic, "evil" races than diplomatic ones.

I don't think it's a matter of being written for the tabletop, it's just the setting they've created. The Imperium is xenophobic to the most extreme degree possible. Is a game that has Space Marine Brother-Commander making ceasefire agreements with Warboss Gorblag really true to the spirit?

But what hallmarks from the Total War games do people want to see carried over, and which ones are going to be jettisoned?

+ People want great big battles with Titans and huge armies, I get that. So that's in.
+ Some kind of world map with territories to fight over. Fair enough.
+ Hero characters. Definitely tons of these to work with.
+ Graphics that scale from looking at individual units to the entire army

- Heirs & successors
- Factions & politics
- Turns that span years
- Formations, flanks
- Production. Dawn of War had barracks and whatnot, but the idea that you're recruiting and building most of your army right on the planet you're fighting over is kind of not how the logistics generally work.
- Research. Same thing, pretty much.

Again, why not just get some company to make a large scale RTS game? It doesn't seem to me that there are really that many defining elements of Total War that fit 40K.

14. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 11, 2015, 05:33 Orogogus

Diplomacy in a 40K game doesn't sound attractive to me at all. The majority of the races -- pretty much everyone but Tau -- aren't supposed to be big on compromise. And I just don't see what in the Total War model people want for their 40K game. Why wouldn't it be better to make a regular RTS with a strategic overlayer that doesn't involve governors and succession and all that?  

12. Re: Another Total War: WARHAMMER Clue? Mar 11, 2015, 04:02 Orogogus

Rossafur wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 03:18:
InBlack wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 03:10:
verybad1 wrote on Mar 11, 2015, 01:09:
Why in the hell AREN'T they doing a WH40K Total War, that's what everyone wants.

Im guessing the main reason is because the Warhammer setting is much simpler to realise in a Total War engine/game.

Yeah, people who even *thought* it could have been the 40k WH must really not be realizing how every single Total War game has worked: great big columns of troops marching at each other in formation. Adapting WH Fantasy requires zero modification to their formula, just new map, new factions, new art. In fact, there has been an incredibly expansive Russian-made WH Fantasy total conversion for Medieval 2: TW for years that they could lift a ton straight over from ("Yeah, sorry, we own the rights to all of this anyway...")

Agreed. Whenever someone asks why this isn't 40K I can't help but think, have you actually played 40K? It's not a natural fit at all unless you want to see tiny little unit blobs everywhere. Even Epic scale was much the same, formations and flanks just aren't a part of the game. And that's to say nothing of the overgame.

40K would be much better served with another Dawn of War game than shoehorning it into Total War.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 14:32 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 14:26:
Huh? Those records are kept already. Using GMT everywhere would just make it easier to figure things like that out.

My company totally does not keep such records. If we need to call a supplier or a customer, we check their address, look up their local time and call between 9AM-4PM local time. We certainly don't estimate their working hours based on their longitude.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2015, 13:41 Orogogus

I'm in San Diego, and if I have to deal with someone on the east coast it's good to know that their working hours are 3 hours ahead of us. It provides an easy point of reference and puts everyone on the same page. If I have to deal with someone in Germany I can look up the local time and adjust accordingly. If there were no local times and standardized GMT offsets, we would have to keep records of when everyone is open on an individual basis.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1104. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 5, 2015, 15:23 Orogogus

Well, he is talking about HOTAS-only. I didn't mean literally the shift key, just that same sort of effect -- he'd be pushing one of the buttons on the stick, flipping a toggle or whatever to modify the actions of other buttons, switches, etc.  

News Comments > Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous
1102. Re: Spaceship Ahoy - Elite: Dangerous Mar 5, 2015, 15:00 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 14:40:
saluk wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 14:22:
I use that. Really good stick for that price, though for ED you do have to make use of modifiers to have all the important actions on the stick only. It took me a few days to get comfortable with it, and I occasionally use the wrong modifier for an action. (target nearest instead of supercruise is one that happens a lot on my setup). I use the hat for docking precision controls, which is a bit weird but seems to work ok.
Modifiers? As in third party programs?

I assume he means "shift key" kind of functionality -- a button, toggle or other control modifies the binding on other controls to allow doubling up for more actions to be bound.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 4, 2015, 19:36 Orogogus

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 19:29:
I personally don't see even Elite being a big hit on the xbox. I know I am generalizing here but I don't think Elite is for the general xbox audience.

It's probably not for the general PC audience, either, which apparently gravitates towards MOBAs and other free-to-play games. Even laying that aside, there are a lot of people who put E:D down for not having more objectives and things to do even though it compares favorably to the previous games in that regard.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 12:07 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 20:37:
Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 18:58:
And this is why this is bullshit. It's not even the guy who wrote the fucking song but his family. Why should they have any claim to it? They had fuck all to do with it.

Because our stupid copyright laws are 90 years long.

Eh? You're in the US, right? Our copyright laws are life of the author + 70 years. Or "95 years from publication or 120 years from creation whichever is shorter" for anonymous works, pseudonymous works, or works made for hire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries%27_copyright_lengths

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
21. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 18:52 Orogogus

Kajetan wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 18:24:
bhcompy wrote on Mar 3, 2015, 17:50:
How is that any different than at any point in Crytek's history? UE has always been one of the top licensed engines simply because of the support provided.
It once was considered a valid competitor to Epic. Several big projects used the CryEngine, last of them Evolve, but Cryteks licensing business never took off.

They're involved in Star Citizen, too, right?

1167 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo