Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 930 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Delayed
60. Re: Elite beta May 29, 2014, 13:03 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 29, 2014, 12:56:
If you played the original Wing Commander, think of the training simulator that lets you set up missions on the carrier (as I understand it).

The WC1 arcade game just threw Kilrathi at you in waves. What we'd call horde mode nowadays, with no options whatsoever. There was a whole different game that was a training simulator, Wing Commander Academy, which let you set up mission parameters.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
14. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2014, 14:30 Orogogus

Because it's like a story that several of the regulars have in their heads. We've had 3 companies for 3 console generations now, none of them just gave up and went home because they weren't in first place. Everything people post about what MS has to do is always about beating Sony instead of simply maximizing the profit from the current generation. It seems incredibly weird, but it's how the posts here are consistently phrased.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2014, 12:32 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:15:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 27, 2014, 12:06:
descender wrote on May 27, 2014, 11:18:
Why? Is avoiding something full of carcinogens meaningless unless you avoid every single substance that's bad for you? No, of course not.
It is meaningless if you are eating other processed foods. I guarantee if that bothers you, there is no processed food that doesn't have a step which you would find unacceptable.

Wait, so doing something is meaningless unless you do it cold turkey? So a smoker that cuts from a pack a day to a cigarette a day is doing something meaningless?

There's absolutely benefit to cutting back on processed foods, even if you don't cut back on all processed foods because it's nearly impossible to.

I get that his logic of "only an idiot drinks soda" is flawed, but yours is even more dangerously flawed. "Why bother doing something unless you do it absolutely?"

Well, the original quote he replied to was "Soda is gross, who knows what goes into that crap. I wouldn't drink anything that color." In that context, it is a little silly. The food coloring is probably the most harmless chemical in the stuff, and it's ridiculous how many foodstuffs are colored just because people expect them to be a certain shade of white or orange or whatever.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
12. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 27, 2014, 02:51 Orogogus

See, the thing I don't get about the narrative here at Blue's is why the second place console is automatically a failure and should give up. Why wouldn't MS just settle for second and make some money instead of immediately throwing away all the money sunk in development just because they're not first?  

News Comments > Watch Dogs Videos
41. Re: Watch Dogs Videos May 23, 2014, 22:54 Orogogus

Fantaz wrote on May 23, 2014, 22:41:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 23, 2014, 22:38:
It's pretty sad that UBIsoft had such piss-poor timing with the release. Everyone who pirated this fucker is playing it over the holiday weekend, while the rest of us suckers and our useless preorders have to wait until the work-week starts again.

isn't it like that for every game? everything's pirated... this was lucky to only get released on the scene 4-5 days before release, while other games sometimes get leaked even a month early. (ex. Halo games on console)

I think he means the long weekend specifically. It works both ways, though, some people aren't available on long weekends since they're off doing holiday stuff.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 22, 2014, 15:11 Orogogus

Media, presumably. I think you would use mediums for seance ladies and clothing.  

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
16. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 13:18 Orogogus

I don't think there's any mystery as to the why. Just a few weeks ago Blue linked a report putting PC game sales above consoles, specifically because of MOBAs and free to play games (link). Dota2 is regularly way at the top of the Steam player count stats, utterly crushing CS2 and everything else. It takes some time to make a game, and MOBAs don't look like they cost a ton to make, so from their perspective it makes sense to at least drop a fishing line into the market until the peak has clearly come and gone.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
13. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer May 22, 2014, 04:34 Orogogus

NamecaF wrote on May 22, 2014, 02:23:
Jerykk wrote on May 22, 2014, 01:23:
Cutter wrote on May 22, 2014, 00:46:
mellis wrote on May 21, 2014, 20:56:
You wish Batman would just start killing the villains. I mean, you'd think after 3+ outings (Asylum, City etc), the population of Gotham would be getting a little tired of being whittled down by homicidal maniacs, especially given their reoffending rate.

There are worse things than death. Like being crippled and left alive by the Batman. That's how it works. Killing people is easy. Crippling them equates to fear. If you were a criminal and Bats asked you for information and your choices were to tell him or spend life in a wheelchair shitting in a bag, what would you choose?

Except Batman doesn't cripple anyone. Two-Face, Penguin, Joker, Harlequinn, Scarecrow, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc... he beats them up, tosses them in Arkham/Blackgate, then they inevitably break out and people die. Rinse and repeat.

That's exactly what I was going to say... It's beyond ridiculous. I mean, I'd think he'd have just cause to use lethal force when they've constantly tortured and murdered hundreds (if not thousands) of innocent people time and time again.

And of course it's always just a matter of time before they inevitably break out of Arkham Asylum or Blackgate Prison and continue doing it all over again... so he'd be more than justified and doing the city and its inhabitants a favor by using lethal force and ending them once and for all.

But no no, we've got to pander to the politically correct nanny-state that says "good guys dont kill".

I don't know if I'm giving away some kind of trade secret, but the reason superheroes don't kill the supervillains is so that the writers can reuse them. That's why most heroes have dozens of recognizable foes but the Punisher has to share bad guys like Kingpin and Bullseye.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization May 20, 2014, 20:33 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:17:
There just so expensive, to say it replaced laptops. You can get decent general purpose laptops for $300-$400. The cheapest i3 Surface is $780. How can you think to replace something with double the cost? MS you funny guys.

What laptops? Dell's lowest end Chromebook seems to be just barely under $400.

News Comments > X Rebirth 2.0 Released
36. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 20:29 Orogogus

I've had a lot of fun with Early Access games myself. But it's been generating kind of an absurd amount of complaints, is all I'm saying. Instead of tirades about EgoSoft it would be yet another demand for the entire Early Access system to be dismantled because abloo abloo there's no one testing every game to make sure it runs to specifications and oh my stars and garters won't someone think of the people compulsively making uneducated purchases.

I guess it's nice to see something different.

News Comments > X Rebirth 2.0 Released
33. Re: X Rebirth 2.0 Released May 20, 2014, 19:08 Orogogus

BazzaLB wrote on May 20, 2014, 19:03:
If they sold the initial release as "Early Access" the result would be the same but far less complaining. Heck, they could even have charged more for it as "special alpha access".

Less complaining? Have you been on these forums in the past two months? There's a steady stream of people calling for early access to be shut down in every Steam Top 10 post, and usually the Minecraft and DayZ posts too.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month
1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Alpha 4 Released; Premium Beta This Month May 16, 2014, 20:20 Orogogus

I'm not in love with the Star Citizen thread craziness, but... back at the end of April Tumbler mentioned that the SC DFM was supposed to have a limited release in the second week of May (this week). So, did that happen?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization May 16, 2014, 00:37 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on May 15, 2014, 21:41:
Cutter wrote on May 15, 2014, 20:38:

Yeah, like convicting homeowners of murder for defending their property by killing criminal scum. Let us know if that old man gets off on appeal. He bloody well better!

The problem isn't that he killed them, but that he planned it, lay in wait, and killed them after they were no longer a threat. He saw them case the house, so he parked his truck 2 blocks away and turned out all the lights. In the basement, he got a book, energy bars, a tarp, a Ruger 10-22 and a revolver and waited at the bottom of the stairs. He heard them break in and walk around for a while. One of them came down stairs, so he shot him twice with the 10-22. He fell down the stairs, incapacitated. Then he fired a third shot right into his head. "You're dead" he said. He pulled the body onto the tarp so he wouldn't get blood on the carpet and dragged it into the next room. Then 10 minutes later, the girl came down stairs. The Ruger jammed so he says, "Sorry about that." and shot her several times with the revolver. She's still alive and he says, "You're dying bitch." Then he puts the revolver under her chin and finishes her. He waits 24 hours and then calls the police.

With that much planning and premeditation, and the fact that he executed them after he'd neutralized them, AND he had the chance to call the police during the break-in and didn't, I'd say there was a line he crossed. I don't feel pity for the kids, getting shot is an occupational hazard when you break into a home, but this guy took it too far. He was judge, jury, and executioner.

Once proportionate response is thrown out, the logical endpoint is death penalty for everything. Or at least breaking and entering. What's good for civilians is good for the law. That would certainly get the US caught up with the Middle East in a hurry.

News Comments > Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming
4. Re: Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming May 12, 2014, 18:29 Orogogus

Parias wrote on May 12, 2014, 18:06:
The Half Elf wrote on May 12, 2014, 17:40:
Still wish they'd port Halo 3 and Reach to the PC, alot of fun co-op.

Except that for every port of the Halo franchise to PC so far, they've somehow fucked up horribly and excluded any kind of co-op play whatsoever.

I agree, they should bring the games to PC - but get someone competent to do it please. Co-op's one of the only reasons I still dust off my consoles and boot the games up every now and then.

It's unfortunate but not that hard to understand. Halo 1 and 2 only local splitscreen co-op, on one machine -- they weren't passing any network packets around in co-op and nothing campaign-related really has to be synchronized. So putting in online co-op could easily be beyond the scope of a port job.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
63. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 12:27 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 12, 2014, 08:59:
I'm guessing had I put "and we wore onions on our belt, which was the style at the time", the sarcasm of my previous post would have been more apparent? Outside of people my age, and older, how many people remember actually using membrane inputs ala the Atari 400?

Though, back in the day, gamepads sucked compared to the awesomeness of the Sidewinder, Firebird and original Gravis Joystick. I still have my Sidewinder force feedback joystick. Use it and an N52 to do a lot of space simming.

/Shakes fist at cloud

My first PC joystick was a Kraft; I think it was the only option back in the day. What a goddamned piece of crap. I remember really wishing I could plug in my Atari 2600 stick.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
62. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 12:23 Orogogus

Verno wrote on May 12, 2014, 08:42:
NKD wrote on May 11, 2014, 22:25:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2014, 19:24:

Jesus, Blue you have to get that ignore function working again. I'm so sick of these trolls.

Holy fucking shit the irony.

My thoughts exactly. Also the ignore stuff works fine, he is probably running NoScript and forgot to whitelist the site.

I think it's more usual that people have their browser auto-fill the login fields. Ignore doesn't work here unless you have Remember Me checked and then preview or post a comment for it to stick.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 7, 2014, 17:21 Orogogus

Fly wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:13:
*Try this simple test:

Move your head around in all directions you can, for about 15-30-45mins or your average time playing a great video game. Will you be able to handle it? Would you still be interested?

*Any resulting injuries from this test, don't blame me. Send inquiries to Zuckershit over at FB

Is this enormously different from playing a sport like basketball or soccer that has you moving in one direction and looking in another? Or driving a car? Of all the VR-related concerns I've read, this sounds the most like one posed by aliens from Beta Reticuli trying to gather information about hu-mans.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
37. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 16:56 Orogogus

Jamil20 wrote on May 7, 2014, 16:36:
It's too bad they have no desire to finish this game. It is actually a good concept. I'm just glad I didn't pay any money for it.

"No desire" is kind of harsh. I gather the story is that the original lead's (Xavi?) wife was diagnosed with cancer and he ran out of money. Moebius is interested, but it's never going to make any money for him.

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
30. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 14:40 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:24:
Well yeah, but it isn't about "sabotaging VR." It's about one of their employees contributing significant code, code they pay him to write, that led to the product being acquired for $2 billion.

They aren't trying to prevent VR from hitting shelves, that's ludicrous. What would make you think that? What would they gain? As makers of a very large selling first person title, VR is actually in their best interest.

What they want is a chunk of that $2B Facebook paid. They want that money from Facebook directly. It's not entirely unreasonable and, despite what people are saying here, it's neither personal nor is it against Oculus. They did Oculus a favor with Carmack. That favor resulted in 2 billion dollars. They want Facebook, who has some of the largest pockets in the world, to share that wealth back.

Think of this as Zenimax vs Facebook.

The part that would make him think Zenimax is sabotaging VR is the part quoted in the news excerpt. Canceling VR support for a game as part of a business deal, canceling investment in VR, not letting Carmack working on VR. If true, it doesn't present the image of a company behaving like VR is in their best interest.

Whether Carmack took code with him or whether Oculus is using Zenimax's code is he-said she-said, but I'm not greatly inclined to believe Zenimax over Carmack. Also, the attitude that Zenimax did Oculus a favor is kind of abhorrent, it's like the "corporations are people" thing combined with a DilbertCorp kind of attitude towards its employees.

News Comments > Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey
13. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 14:09 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:51:
Actually you gave Linux too much credit:
It was one version up .22 while others versions were down, net gain...

Total: Linux 1.26% +0.06%
Last Month: 1.20%

If I rec'd a system with win 8 I'd just get the Desktop Fix and keep moving. No reason to go back that said, imo when people get excited about boot speed increases I see those at least for me and I doubt I'm alone, this year I've rebooted my Win 7 system once so far, I expect one or two more times. It's not like the old days where you could reboot a couple times per day. So whatever that speed difference is, is of no consequence.

Well, it would matter for people who move their laptops around.

930 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo