Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming
4. Re: Halo PC GameSpy Fix Coming May 12, 2014, 18:29 Orogogus

Parias wrote on May 12, 2014, 18:06:
The Half Elf wrote on May 12, 2014, 17:40:
Still wish they'd port Halo 3 and Reach to the PC, alot of fun co-op.

Except that for every port of the Halo franchise to PC so far, they've somehow fucked up horribly and excluded any kind of co-op play whatsoever.

I agree, they should bring the games to PC - but get someone competent to do it please. Co-op's one of the only reasons I still dust off my consoles and boot the games up every now and then.

It's unfortunate but not that hard to understand. Halo 1 and 2 only local splitscreen co-op, on one machine -- they weren't passing any network packets around in co-op and nothing campaign-related really has to be synchronized. So putting in online co-op could easily be beyond the scope of a port job.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
63. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 12:27 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 12, 2014, 08:59:
I'm guessing had I put "and we wore onions on our belt, which was the style at the time", the sarcasm of my previous post would have been more apparent? Outside of people my age, and older, how many people remember actually using membrane inputs ala the Atari 400?

Though, back in the day, gamepads sucked compared to the awesomeness of the Sidewinder, Firebird and original Gravis Joystick. I still have my Sidewinder force feedback joystick. Use it and an N52 to do a lot of space simming.

/Shakes fist at cloud

My first PC joystick was a Kraft; I think it was the only option back in the day. What a goddamned piece of crap. I remember really wishing I could plug in my Atari 2600 stick.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
62. Re: Steam Top 10 May 12, 2014, 12:23 Orogogus

Verno wrote on May 12, 2014, 08:42:
NKD wrote on May 11, 2014, 22:25:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2014, 19:24:

Jesus, Blue you have to get that ignore function working again. I'm so sick of these trolls.

Holy fucking shit the irony.

My thoughts exactly. Also the ignore stuff works fine, he is probably running NoScript and forgot to whitelist the site.

I think it's more usual that people have their browser auto-fill the login fields. Ignore doesn't work here unless you have Remember Me checked and then preview or post a comment for it to stick.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup May 7, 2014, 17:21 Orogogus

Fly wrote on May 7, 2014, 17:13:
*Try this simple test:

Move your head around in all directions you can, for about 15-30-45mins or your average time playing a great video game. Will you be able to handle it? Would you still be interested?

*Any resulting injuries from this test, don't blame me. Send inquiries to Zuckershit over at FB

Is this enormously different from playing a sport like basketball or soccer that has you moving in one direction and looking in another? Or driving a car? Of all the VR-related concerns I've read, this sounds the most like one posed by aliens from Beta Reticuli trying to gather information about hu-mans.

News Comments > Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible
37. Re: Towns Dev Leaving; Towns 2 Possible May 7, 2014, 16:56 Orogogus

Jamil20 wrote on May 7, 2014, 16:36:
It's too bad they have no desire to finish this game. It is actually a good concept. I'm just glad I didn't pay any money for it.

"No desire" is kind of harsh. I gather the story is that the original lead's (Xavi?) wife was diagnosed with cancer and he ran out of money. Moebius is interested, but it's never going to make any money for him.

News Comments > Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations
30. Re: Oculus Responds to ZeniMax Accusations May 5, 2014, 14:40 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on May 5, 2014, 14:24:
Well yeah, but it isn't about "sabotaging VR." It's about one of their employees contributing significant code, code they pay him to write, that led to the product being acquired for $2 billion.

They aren't trying to prevent VR from hitting shelves, that's ludicrous. What would make you think that? What would they gain? As makers of a very large selling first person title, VR is actually in their best interest.

What they want is a chunk of that $2B Facebook paid. They want that money from Facebook directly. It's not entirely unreasonable and, despite what people are saying here, it's neither personal nor is it against Oculus. They did Oculus a favor with Carmack. That favor resulted in 2 billion dollars. They want Facebook, who has some of the largest pockets in the world, to share that wealth back.

Think of this as Zenimax vs Facebook.

The part that would make him think Zenimax is sabotaging VR is the part quoted in the news excerpt. Canceling VR support for a game as part of a business deal, canceling investment in VR, not letting Carmack working on VR. If true, it doesn't present the image of a company behaving like VR is in their best interest.

Whether Carmack took code with him or whether Oculus is using Zenimax's code is he-said she-said, but I'm not greatly inclined to believe Zenimax over Carmack. Also, the attitude that Zenimax did Oculus a favor is kind of abhorrent, it's like the "corporations are people" thing combined with a DilbertCorp kind of attitude towards its employees.

News Comments > Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey
13. Re: Steam April 2014 HW/SW Survey May 5, 2014, 14:09 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on May 5, 2014, 13:51:
Actually you gave Linux too much credit:
It was one version up .22 while others versions were down, net gain...

Total: Linux 1.26% +0.06%
Last Month: 1.20%

If I rec'd a system with win 8 I'd just get the Desktop Fix and keep moving. No reason to go back that said, imo when people get excited about boot speed increases I see those at least for me and I doubt I'm alone, this year I've rebooted my Win 7 system once so far, I expect one or two more times. It's not like the old days where you could reboot a couple times per day. So whatever that speed difference is, is of no consequence.

Well, it would matter for people who move their laptops around.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 2, 2014, 20:18 Orogogus

Stormsinger wrote on May 1, 2014, 22:10:
Redmask wrote on May 1, 2014, 07:10:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 20:20:
Too bad the USPS is not funded by tax dollars. Kind of makes your comment irrelevant.

They receive about a hundred million a year in federal funding, not to mention they have a literal monopoly as a business which is government mandated which in the end costs us all money and services that could be improved. He was wrong but he's not too far off the mark, the USPS sucks and really needs to die off or reinvent itself.
Oh please. Try sending a letter via a private service (and in spite of your claims, there are plenty of them), you'll find it costs a wee bit more than $.50. Then tell me again how awful and obsolete the post office is.

Redmask isn't wrong. Non-USPS delivery is legally required to cost "at least six times the rate then currently charged for a 1-ounce single-piece First-Class Mail letter." By federal law other carriers can't charge lower than 6x the USPS rate because they'll get fined and forced to stop.

http://about.usps.com/publications/pub542/pub542_ch3_001.htm#ep1029138

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
26. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 14:47 Orogogus

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:38:
Beelzebud wrote on May 2, 2014, 14:10:
We live in a world where Zenimax/Bethesda owns Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Fallout, and are claiming they own the work John Carmack has done while working on VR tech for Facebook.

Obvious News Headline:
Major corporations expand their product portfolio by buying out smaller companies. They also aggressively protect their IP because of/due to the broken US Copyright system.

Film at 11.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a copyright issue, it's technology and therefore patents and trade secrets.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
13. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 May 1, 2014, 12:27 Orogogus

Deathhead wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 16:32:
Play as Peter Parker for the first time ever in The Amazing Spider-Man game series

Maybe I'm confused, but did you not play as Peter Parker (spider-man) in the first game? Or were you just Spider-man in the first game, but in this you play in and out of costume?

Apparently the new game has Peter Parker sections, out of costume.

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
92. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 30, 2014, 16:57 Orogogus

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 16:52:
Beamer wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 10:37:
I still don't care what the popular opinion is/was, Halo PC multiplayer was significantly better than whichever Unreal Tournament came out at the same time. Its vehicles are still my favorite in any online shooter.

Wow. Just, wow. I don't even know what to say to that. UT2K4 was a revelation. Halo looked and played like crap in comparison, being more than 3 years old by then and console-y.

He could be talking about UT2K3 rather than 4.

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
76. Re: Bungie, traitors to their heritage Apr 29, 2014, 12:23 Orogogus

Timmeh wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 12:17:
making a few extra million was probably not worth the time investment and support investment when taken as a whole. The big money is in consoles and that is just the way it is.

unless you want to consider mobile games with cash shops.

Not true. Yesterday's Etc. etc. reported that PC games with cash shops are the current cash cow. Or better yet, MOBAs. Which is great news, since I think it might have been 3 days since we've had a new MOBA announced.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 28, 2014, 14:20 Orogogus

Ya. The news forum is predictably kind of dumb and abloo-abloo, you shouldn't be able to trademark common names, but if everyone were allowed to sell their own iPhone or AppleTV or whatever it would be like the Android store in real life. Everything remotely interesting gets swamped under a flood of identically-named clones.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Apr 28, 2014, 13:46 Orogogus

Ya. There was a long stretch where Football Manager or something was in the top spot or close to it on Steam, and I never knew what to make of it.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
19. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 28, 2014, 12:17 Orogogus

Flo wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 11:36:
NeOCidE wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 07:32:
Flo wrote on Apr 28, 2014, 06:26:
They need to price the rumored no-disc-drive version at about 350$. That would possibly give them some momentum.
I think, as of now, both next-gen consoles can be considered "fails". I only start my XO for Titanfall and if I had a PS4 I honestly don't know what title I'm supposed to play that I can't get on the PC cheap.

Infamous Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
Resogun
Dead Nation
Octodad

With big hitters impending

Still don't see a must have game in that list

Hasn't Octodad been out on the PC since forever?

That's this one, right?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224480

News Comments > Rogue Shooter Demo
3. Re: Rogue Shooter Demo Apr 27, 2014, 13:46 Orogogus

J wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 13:40:
Back in my day everything was a text-based adventure. Go N. Examine window. And permadeath was the only way...

It's kind of hard for a text adventure to be permadeath.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 25, 2014, 12:45 Orogogus

Right, it's not, but I don't think it's a sign of any deeper failure than the readily apparent fact that they're stuck in second place. I doubt it can be used to extrapolate any supplier or stocking issues.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II
32. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dark Souls II Apr 25, 2014, 12:32 Orogogus

Frijoles wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 23:25:
I wouldn't mind an interview where they ask them wtf that extra PC time went towards.

I don't know about anyone else, but this game runs a lot better than the first one on my mid-range laptop, and I think it looks significantly better. So I'd suggest "optimization" is what they might have spent their time on.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 25, 2014, 12:28 Orogogus

You guys seem to make more of the shipped to figure than I think it merits. You know Sony did the same with PS3 until late in its life, when it achieved more-or-less parity, right?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2014, 17:10 Orogogus

8 'Mechs in MW1. This site has an accurate list:
http://www.localditch.com/mechwarrior/mech/mechs.html

Locust - Jenner - Phoenix Hawk - Shadow Hawk - Rifleman - Warhammer - Marauder - Battlemaster

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo