Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 826 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration?
31. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 14:00 Orogogus

From what I call of the BGG furor, they were hosting a lot of files, which put together as a whole pretty much obviated the need for ever buying the game if you had a printer. GW sent a notice that BGG was in violation, without specifying what exactly was in violation of what, and in response BGG nuked everything. Fandom went apeshit, life went on.

I don't know anything about WHAlliance (a fansite for Warhammer Online, not 40K), but... well, they obviously weren't sued into oblivion and there are people posting today. The thread kind of trails off so I don't know how that ended, but I doubt they went the "millions of dollars on lawyers" route so probably they came to an agreement?

The army tool thing is pretty shitty, but GW has been selling army tools for a long while. I think they should have made them free years ago, but if they're not going to discontinue them then obviously they're going to crush their competitors.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 13:20 Orogogus

There is such a thing as selective context.

We are encountering people who counterfeit our miniatures and products more and more frequently. Counterfeiting is a crime in most countries worldwide. In addition to the other penalties, you can go to prison for counterfeiting. The same is true of peer-to-peer file sharing - if you have not paid for the material and you download it using peer-to-peer software, you are engaging in illegal activity. The same is true even if you already own a copy of the relevant Codex or Army Book. Please remember that Games Workshop does not produce its rule books or codices in electronic format - if you ever see any such material in electronic format, it is likely to be the product of criminal or infringing activity.

BE AWARE that we will happily spend money bringing counterfeiters and other infringers to justice, regardless of the cost. Such activities kill the hobby for everyone.

This is not exactly the same thing as saying they'll sue you, personally, for posting a picture of your painted minis, or making a fansite. They clearly want to come to an accommodation with the people generating good buzz for them with mods, fansites, etc., but not counterfeiters or file sharers. I mean, you make them sound like blithering idiots, but the history I can find on Google and their stated policies seem fairly reasonable.

And also, I really have to stress that while the tank posted in Blue's post is questionable, the second one, linked in this thread, is utterly indefensible. If they can't get sued for that then no one can get sued for anything.

25. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 12:56 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:49:
Ok if you say so. They've shut down online stores selling their product before since they took photos of the models to show what you were buying.

Feel free to do some research, GW is crazy nutty about anything relating to this. Think of the worst company you can imagine in terms of going after fans for doing anything, and GW is worse. They are notorious enough that Blue mentions it in the blurb.

Well, cite? It seems kind of odd to me that they would shut down distributors, since those are their customers. But the two examples you mentioned before hardly sound evil.

As far as the worst, I think that would be Fox, who Blue regularly uses in the verb form for cease-and-desists, and who shut down the Aliens TC for DOOM and other mods way back in the day, and TSR, who did cease-and-desist their own fansites when user sites on the Internet were still kind of a new thing.

EDIT: " They talk on their homepage how they are "HAPPY to spend money" going after you."

Again, cite? At the top of this page they say "Unlike many companies, here at Games Workshop we usually only stop people from using our intellectual property if we must do so in order to protect it (provided that use is by and for hobbyists). For example, the law requires us to protect our trademarks in certain ways - and if we do not - we might lose them. As you can imagine, we do not want to lose our trademarks as we would no longer be able to create the great miniatures and table top hobby wargames that we pride ourselves on!", which is kind of different from saying how much they love to sue you, the customer.

22. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 12:46 Orogogus

While it's easy to see where it's been copied, the question would be whether the changes are different enough. It might be. I think that's a pretty gray area in video games, but wherever the line is drawn, that second tank is clearly way the hell over it.  

19. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 12:30 Orogogus

Dev wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 12:22:
GW is crazy nutty about anything like this. Some gems: they forbid you to get any GW related tattoos and they forbid you to post pics of paint jobs without saying you did it without their permission.

That seems pretty innocuous and hardly worse than EA or Fox. As a company, they would clearly view tattoos the same as, say, a T-shirt with their IP on it. I would bet money they're trying to discourage tattooists from profiting from their IP rather than having anything against people sporting such tattoos.

The second sounds entirely harmless. It's not as if you're turning over rights to your work.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock
93. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock Apr 12, 2012, 12:16 Orogogus

There was some minor complaining here and elsewhere from people who were apparently expecting and hoping for a Wizardry/Bard's Tale/Might & Magic turn-based crawler, which I think is a little silly. There have been a fair number of recent turn-based crawlers (albeit mostly on consoles and handhelds) while the last real-time one was... Stonekeep? I can't think of newer one. And I didn't even like Stonekeep (although EotB 1 & 2 were aces).

Also, I'm not a fan of the magic system. Yes, it's the same as Dungeon Master. It's still bad. I don't know why anyone would make players find recipes and then not randomize them. The game is downloadable, so it's not like they haven't heard of the Internet.

Also, the game sure lets you put points into skills (e.g., bows) that you're not going to get to use for a fairly long time. The system seems a little more vulnerable to min-maxing than most.

12. Re: EA: Tanks for the Warhammer 40K Inspiration? Apr 12, 2012, 12:02 Orogogus

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Apr 12, 2012, 11:52:
If you think that's bad, check out this other tank they copied identically.

There's some room to quibble about the Imperial tank, but this one is pretty damn bad and impossible to argue.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Apr 5, 2012, 11:14 Orogogus

You can play games on par or superior to the classics for free on the PC or on your phone. As I said, I think the kind of arcade that you guys are suggesting, basically recreating your youth from the 80s, would do nothing but lose money. The implication that they could generate a healthy profit from that model is ludicrous.

Putting a bunch of fighting games in a Dave and Busters would be a grim case of demographic mismatch. The only genres that are remotely sustainable in a modern arcade are fighting games, driving games and dance/rhythm games. In the case of fighting games, there's actually a community still extant, but I really doubt that most of those community members wish that they could get a dish of chicken cacciatore in the middle of their tournament. Dave and Busters isn't an ideal hangout for that crowd.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 5, 2012, 01:18 Orogogus

Frijoles wrote on Apr 3, 2012, 13:04:
No shit. Not only that, but it's 45% driving games and 45% dancing/"skill"/ticket games. That leaves 5% for the fighting games and 5% for everything else.

I can totally see why that would be as successful as you could get in the US. It can be inconvenient to build a racing or dance game setup at home, and they're reasonably social games that you can play with other people. For most arcade games of the 80s and 90s it's hard to imagine there's still a huge crowd of people who wouldn't rather play the same games at home.

And on the other side, if those machines cost thousands of dollars, it would take years to make back the initial investment on a quarter fee, especially if they ever need repairs. Outside of a few group-friendly games, they just seem like guaranteed money pits.

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming
21. Re: Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition OS X Plans & Cross-Platform Gaming Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 30, 2012, 11:50:
Textures? You mean sprites and pre-rendered maps! Sure, they are textures, but i would bet actual money that this "enhancement" does not include recreating all the art assets.

Though that is exactly what would be needed to actually have the game not become super-pint sized at 1920x1200 ..

Yeah; I'm also wondering why people keep asking for high resolution textures. The games are very clearly not 3D, and the work that would go into redrawing the sprites and backgrounds at higher resolution isn't significantly easier now than it was back in 1998. It's a horrifically unrealistic expectation, and would be virtually guaranteed to not make back its costs.

I mean, I guess they could do it in a high resolution, cartoon style to make things doable, but I don't think anyone wants that.

News Comments > Dungeons of Dreadmor Patch Nears; Project Odin Art
3. Re: Dungeons of Dreadmor Patch Nears; Project Odin Art Mar 21, 2012, 12:58 Orogogus

The game is spelled "Dredmor".  

News Comments > Wing Commander Saga Correction
17. Re: Foxed =! EA Mar 19, 2012, 19:16 Orogogus

Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 18:33:
hb3d wrote on Mar 19, 2012, 09:30:
Prez wrote on Mar 18, 2012, 23:21:
Well, it's conjecture, sure. But baseless?
It's baseless until someone can show an example of where EA has done this to another mod or fan game project especially recently. I'm all for EA bashing but do it for the right reasons.

I disagree. I take "baseless" to mean that there is no evidence to suggest its possible, not that there's no precedence, which is what you are talking about. Apples and oranges. There is certainly enough evidence to point to that illustrates that EA can and often does behave in a manner that is counter to their customers desires and distinctly lacking in class. Given EA's general lack of class and goodwill towards its customers, it's easy to see them FOXing a mod if it gets enough attention.

And yet, there's a ton of precedents, in the other direction. A look at WCNews' fan projects pages shows 6 completed and 14 in progress. The argument that EA does classless things and therefore it might do this classless thing thing seems mildly ridiculous. It's nice (for me) that Valve holds steep sales twice a year and carries a lot of indie games. It would be nice if someone would buy me a new car. Valve does nice things, therefore it's easy to see Valve buying me a new car? You kind of expect a company to behave badly or well in a consistent manner rather than sporadically picking the dick option with no rhyme or reason.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 "Biggest Entertainment Launch of 2012"
40. Re: Mass Effect 3 Mar 10, 2012, 16:03 Orogogus

Ratty wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 12:33:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 10, 2012, 04:33:
Doesn't mean I like it, frankly I thought the ending(s) sucked. I felt the same way I did with the Deus Ex endings - instead of having the various decisions I made along the way matter, they just give you a bunch of options (crappy ones in this case) and make you choose. Ending cop-out 101.
Name any modern game that advertises how your choices influence the game and doesn't cop out with the lame multiple cutscene endings. All the Deus Exs did it, FO3 and FO:NV, Elder Scrolls, etc. I'm with you: that has always annoyed me no end.

The only game I can think of that truly did branching into radically different games based on decisions you made was one called Strife. It was built on the original Doom engine, so you know how long ago that was.

Wasn't there an article here a couple of days ago mentioning how game designers were loathe to ever put things in a game that not everybody would see? Perfectly understandable but I don't have to like it.

I think Alpha Protocol gets brought up a lot.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot
9. Re: BioShock Infinite's Motorized Patriot Mar 8, 2012, 13:14 Orogogus

nin wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 11:59:

Will this game have instant-resurrection chambers that remove all semblance of challenge from the game?

Based on this I would think they wouldn't be allowed in all modes. Of course, you didn't have to use them last time. I didn't...

They've been a hallmark of Irrational/Looking Glass's games since System Shock 1. I think the reasoning is that if you're just going to reload the game anyway, they might as well put in something that does the same thing while breaking immersion a little less. But up until Bioshock there wasn't any bad guy that was so tough that it really rewarded coming back for another go, and you just had to fight your way through all the respawned baddies anyways.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2012, 03:02 Orogogus

killer_roach wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 00:44:
It was Republican opposition that killed SOPA/PIPA. Every single remaining sponsor of either bill is a Democrat.

Where's the data for this? The first few sites tracking this information seem to suggest that the supporters are more like about 66% Democrat.

http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

From the Wikipedia SOPA entry:

"The Stop Online Piracy Act was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and was initially co-sponsored by Howard Berman (D-CA), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), Steve Chabot (R-OH), John Conyers (D-MI), Ted Deutch (D-FL), Elton Gallegly (R-CA), Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Timothy Griffin (R-AR), Dennis A. Ross (R-FL), Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Lee Terry (R-NE). As of January 16, 2012, there were 31 sponsors.[85]"

"House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) expressed opposition to the bill, as well as Representatives Darrell Issa (R-CA) and presidential candidate Ron Paul (R-TX), who joined nine Democrats to sign a letter to other House members warning that the bill would cause "an explosion of innovation-killing lawsuits and litigation""

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Trailer
25. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Mar 1, 2012, 14:12 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 04:37:
Meh, there was nothing wrong with hot dropping entire spaceship dropships straight from the jumpship and not just single mechs.. no reason to change that. In fact that was one of the coolest thing about Battletech, Nobody did air drops because any even half rookie ground trooper would be able to fire a simple stinger (forgot what the equivalent name for that was in BT) at that heat signature and thus take down any and all "flying" mechs

That is not BattleTech at all in flavor. Missiles are sad, sad things in BattleTech (or armor is really good), and there's no such thing as heat tracking (or the countermeasures are excellent). I don't know the specific rules for shooting at a dropping 'Mech, but I would guess that it would be at a penalty to-hit with possibly a chance to hit the disposable jump pack (if applicable) and cause the 'Mech to take falling damage from a catastrophic height. But most probably you'd just hit against armor as normal and the 'Mech would continue on its merry way.

What with the tiny ranges in BattleTech, you probably wouldn't even be allowed to shoot at the 'Mech unless it was dropping right onto your mapsheet.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 11:59:
Ozmodan wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 11:31:
We all know that the 10th circuit court is populated with extreme liberals that would not know a basic right if it hit them in the face. Also why there is movement to eliminate that circuit court.

What now?

He clearly has the 10th confused with the 9th, which is in the news all the time.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Trailer
19. Re: MechWarrior Online Trailer Feb 29, 2012, 23:15 Orogogus

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 29, 2012, 21:22:
Wow, talk about creepy. I had the exact same thought, Atlas does not have jump-jets nor capability to jerry rig one. Also in Battletech mechs are nearly never dropped, jump-jets are for jumping, not to survive an air-drop. They are called drop ships because they literally drop down to the ground from space.

Maybe Piranha Game should read the Battletech Tech Manuals for starters? Their lack of attention to detail is discomforting

That's almost entirely wrong. Atmospheric drops were introduced way back in AeroTech, and were described in Technical Readout 3025 under the Union and Overlord entries. From AeroTech II, p.35, Dropping 'Mechs and Battle Armor:

"Battlemechs and battle armor can exit a DropShip under three conditions: on the ground, at high altitude, or in space. Units that exit a DropShip at high altitude descend under the influence of gravity, falling 1 hex per turn... Jump-capable BattleMechs and battle armor suits can use their thrusters to control their descent. Units without jump jets mount special disposable thruster packs that allow them to control their descent and land safely."

I think in the latest iteration of the rules this is in Strategic Operations, which came out way after I'd gotten out of BattleTech, but atmospheric 'Mech drops are totally a thing in the game, and have been ever since DropShips were introduced. That "special disposable thruster pack" is very clearly what the Atlas has going on.

Edit:

Google shows that 'Mech Jump Packs were described in Tactical Operations - "The BattleMech jump pack was developed to give jump-incapable BattleMechs a surprise edge in the early stages of battle, to help them cross particularly difficult terrain features, or to deploy them in combat drops," and that the rules are indeed laid out in Strategic Operations - "’Mechs, ProtoMechs, battle armor, WiGE Vehicles and vehicles with Jumping MP may make atmospheric drops. If a unit than can mount jump jets does not mount jump jets, it may either mount disposable jump jets (which automatically jettison upon touchdown."

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 2012, 23:41.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 24, 2012, 14:45 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:58:
Orogogus wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 13:04:
It seems wildly hypocritical to keep singling Apple out to the point where you do, constantly ranting that people who buy Apple products are supporting slavery, when there are all these other companies who aren't exactly mom-and-pop operations who do the exact same thing but apparently get a free pass.

That's absolutely true. Otoh, Apple gets all the flack, because it's been Foxconn workers who worked on Apple's products that committed suicide, etc. I have no idea whether there's been recent news about Foxconn employees who manufactured other corporations' products doing the same.

And I doubt that it's all integrated. I would imagine the part of Foxconn that builds Apple products isn't in the same hall as the part that builds Dell?

Creston

I don't even know that that's true. Conveniently, there's another wikipedia page...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Going to that page's sources, very few of the articles -- none that I looked at -- specifically said that it was workers making iPads that committed suicide. The wording is generally something like, "A worker at Foxconn, who manufactures several high profile electronics -- most notably the Apple iPad -- committed suicide by..." There is one entry on the wiki of a worker who committed suicide after losing an iPhone prototype, but other than that it's not specified. It also mentions that after the spate of suicides several manufacturers, including Apple, HP and Dell, initiated their own investigations.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 24, 2012, 13:04 Orogogus

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:17:
In his first Q&A with shareholders since becoming CEO, Tim Cook yet again acknowledged that Apple has "more [cash] than we need to run the company". At close to $98 billion, it's quite the chunk of change. Cook failed to specify, however, what the company plans to do with the money, only sharing that there are "active discussions" among the board on Apple's next steps.

Which don't include bring jobs home, treating their foreign slaves any better, paying dividends, lowering prices on their absurdly overpriced crap. Why the fuck do people continue to support those assholes? It really does boggle the mind!

I'm pretty sure someone points this out in every thread you raise the same stink, but Foxconn produces goods for more than just Apple. From the wikipedia entry:

Acer Inc.
Amazon.com
Cisco
Dell
Gateway
Hewlett-Packard
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola Mobility
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio

It seems wildly hypocritical to keep singling Apple out to the point where you do, constantly ranting that people who buy Apple products are supporting slavery, when there are all these other companies who aren't exactly mom-and-pop operations who do the exact same thing but apparently get a free pass.

826 Comments. 42 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo