Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 929 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
15. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2012, 11:29 Orogogus

I wouldn't say Myth was heavily LOTR influenced; the primary inspiration is pretty clearly Glen Cook's Black Company books, one of the relatively few fantasy series of that time to get away from elves and dwarves and dragons.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
171. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 22, 2012, 02:20 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 22, 2012, 00:58:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:53:
Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged.

If they spend any time on the internet at all I bet they understand the concept of "hacked accounts" and "unable to login". Not to mention given that 12 years have passed, I'm guessing that there is a whole new demographic of young, computer savvy kids who were but mere toddlers when Diablo 2 was released.

Those people probably played D2 anyway. D2 was still selling strong way, way after it was released. There wasn't really ever another game in the genre that utterly eclipsed it. Up to this year D2 was still the go-to ARPG.

The hacked accounts and login issues look like it would be more of an outrage on the principle of the thing, which average schmoes don't really go in for. My distinct impression from this thread and the other one is that the majority of people are able to log in now and haven't had their stuff stolen.

161. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 23:04 Orogogus

Sepharo wrote on May 21, 2012, 23:01:
MattyC wrote on May 21, 2012, 22:54:
Eh, as someone that got D3, I feel you are using the term abuse incorrectly. You are free to hate the game, just don't speak for me. I thought it wasn't amazing, but was a decent game that was worth the cost.

Whether you enjoy the game or not doesn't change that they've included must-always-be-online DRM on the SP with the only gain being "you can use the AH in SP". It's a really greedy move with the thinnest veneer of a "benefit".

Well, if the game is enjoyable, then it's not really selling on name alone; it's not just customer abuse in a box.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer
6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer May 21, 2012, 20:55 Orogogus

I think the video's supposed to be hidden behind the link, not right on the front page of Blue's.

Edit: ...and fixed.

152. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 20:53 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 21, 2012, 20:41:
Something is wrong when every major story pertaining to a long-awaited blockbuster game are about things like DRM, server outages and account hacking. What are the odds that someone new to the series and considering buying it is going to want to subject themselves to all these potential pitfalls, especially when all of what they read about the game references exactly that?

People new to the series generally don't know what DRM or server outages are, or why they should be outraged. It's the series that defines the genre. Anecdotally speaking, I know several people who've jumped on board not knowing anything about the games (or indeed, games in general), and none from that demographic who've been dissuaded by always-online. The commercial trailers seem to weigh a lot more than the user Metacritic scores or Kotaku articles. It's the people not new to the series that they have to worry about.

148. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 20:28 Orogogus

Slashman wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:44:
I don't get it, but I'm sure someone will tell me I'm crazy if I say it. Starcraft was a good game in its time and so was D1 and D2. But they weren't 'earth-shattering, world-creating' good. World of Warcraft is the most bewildering success story I have ever seen and I have no real explanation for it.

SC/SC2/D1/D2/WC/WC2/WC3 (and apparently WoW for a good stretch) ran on relatively low specs for their time. At my workplace people were able to play them on their work computers, which were bottom line machines not bought with gaming in mind. Turns off hardcore PC gamers, but appeals to everyone else.

And aside from that, they're simple to play -- the polish helps -- and Blizzard knows how to make a summer blockbuster movie in game form while exposing hints of a broader lore. I know people were saying that story doesn't matter in an ARPG, but with regards to TL1, god damn but I didn't care about the Ember, the girl, her teacher, or anything else in the game. I can't speak to WoW or D3, but in their other games they've done a good job of putting in the extra bit of work to make the world at least a little interesting. Even in D1, which had barely any cutscenes to speak of, there was decently-written background lore in the manual.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013
25. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 19:49 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 19:39:
I feel like the RPG was a pretty bad idea, too. The enemy list relating to Aliens is played out, with relatively little variety compared to almost any game out there. Their hand-to-hand nature would tend to make RPG combat repetitive -- what's going to happen in this mission? Well, aliens might burst out of the walls and floors and ceilings and try to eat my Marines to death. The suspense is kind of missing, especially the OMG! ALIENS!!! WTF!! thing that the movies revolve around.

Yeah, xenomorphs have grown a bit stale. You already know pretty much everything about them. Granted, Obsidian could have taken some creative liberties here and there. Xenomorphs are supposed to retain characteristics from their host, so if there were other non-xenomorph aliens to impregnate, that could have made for some interesting enemy variety.

I think the first time you run into an acid-spitting alien, a flamethrower alien or an elephant/Ultralisk/Carnifex sized alien, you'd just stop and wonder, "Am I still playing an Aliens game?" At which point, again, it makes more sense to just make a new franchise, or at least use one that gives you a little more to work with than 3-4 monsters, 3 vehicles, a handful of guns and a power loader suit. Warhammer 40K, Starcraft, Dead Space. Freaking Starship Troopers. Even Xenophobe, or Incubation.

137. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:40 Orogogus

Oh man, I played D&D Heroes. Such a terrible plot. Spoiler:
No! Not the shopkeeper!

135. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 19:32 Orogogus

Yifes wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:55:
Verno wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:47:
someeone else saying stuff about consoles

It's hard to argue against the fact that their number of skill choices maps out well to gamepads though. In fact most of the interface will.

That's really an issue with ARPGs in general. The simplicity and repetitive nature of these game makes them naturally easy to adapt for consoles. Just look at Torchlight. The D3 interface is actually an improvement and has more depth than D2.

Really? As someone else pointed out, precision targeting is a problem. I played Sacred 2, which had a distinctly console feel. Small mobs, de-emphasis on ranged attacks, no inventory Tetris (a good thing in my book, but most PC gamers disagree). How well did Diablo 1 play on the Playstation back in the day?

133. Re: General complaints, longish May 21, 2012, 19:20 Orogogus

For convenience: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games  

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:50 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:21:
I kinda wish this was canceled instead of the Alien RPG by Obsidian. At least that had the potential to be interesting. Colonial Marines looks like CoD with Xenomorphs. Really slow Xenomorphs that apparently don't bleed acid. Also, they act like the concept of marines vs aliens has never been done before, except it was done in AvP on the Jaguar, AvP on the PC, AvP 2 on the PC and the latest multiplatform AvP. It's not a novel concept anymore.

They could have done something interesting with this game, like turning it into an X-COM-ish experience where you send marines to investigate various colonies, space stations, spaceships, etc, in an effort to wipe out the xenomorphs and track down the queen. Events could happen in real-time too, so if you decided to check out a space station before a colony, everyone on the colony could already be dead/impregnated by the time you get there, resulting in less intel and more aliens.

I feel like the RPG was a pretty bad idea, too. The enemy list relating to Aliens is played out, with relatively little variety compared to almost any game out there. Their hand-to-hand nature would tend to make RPG combat repetitive -- what's going to happen in this mission? Well, aliens might burst out of the walls and floors and ceilings and try to eat my Marines to death. The suspense is kind of missing, especially the OMG! ALIENS!!! WTF!! thing that the movies revolve around.

About the only interesting thing you might be able to do with the universe in my opinion is take a step back from the aliens and have a game that has the Colonial Marines kicking ass against whatever it was they were supposed to have been fighting before they ran into the aliens.

Or even better, you could also just make up a new setting and run with that (see: Dead Space). The Aliens setting was good for making at least two movies, and I'm not sure it was ever good for more than one or two games.

113. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:32 Orogogus

MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:27:
Orogogus wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:14:
I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits.

It is within those limits, whether 'to' keep them or not is opinion.
Blizzard isn't foolish they won't redo all assets (been saying that for 7 years). Maybe people will understand their skill system/control decisions better when it fits well on console. They said they are interested.

Stick around and watch their desires to put it on console turn into actual reality, then you will know.

None of their games have pushed the graphical envelope when they launched. Even for PC-only games, lower system requirements mean a wider potential market, especially when the gameplay is as easy to get into as Blizzard's offerings, and when the respective genres don't play well to photorealism in the first place.

109. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:14 Orogogus

eunichron wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:08:
MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
  • Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.

• While the graphics aren't technically advanced, Blizzard has always had great artists that are able to hide that fact.

I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits. Historically WoW, Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were not resource-intensive games, and were able to run on a huge number of budget computers (although I gather that at some point WoW became more of a computer hog). When Starcraft came out my aging system was able to run the gameplay fine, but choked on the cutscenes.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:09 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:57:
    Beelzebud wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:56:
    wtf_man wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:49:
    I thought this was supposed to be an RPG, not an FPS. (I mean hybrid like Deus Ex)

Obsidian was developing an Aliens RPG, but Sega pulled the plug on it a year or two ago.

Yes, But I didn't know that they changed the whole game from an RPG to a Shooter.

I think the point is that they weren't changed, they were 2 different games. The RPG by Obsidian (canceled) and the FPS, Colonial Marines, by Gearbox. Both were announced in Dec. 2006.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
    148. Re: Signed up! May 21, 2012, 17:09 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:58:
    Orogogus wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:48:
    ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
    I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

If the beta is an indication, oh yes very much so.

Just want to note that I was underwhelmed on this front in the stress test. As far as atmosphere and storyline goes, I thought it was maybe one step above free Flash games. For reference, did you like the opening cinematic they released a few weeks ago?

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
    26. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 19, 2012, 08:05 Orogogus

Steam is barely acceptable, but there should probably be a timeout period after which the game should be offered without DRM.

Haha, weak-willed compromiser.

At this level of vitriolic extremism, just crank it up a notch and take the crusade to Steam DRM (which is basically the same as Origin DRM), and also against Gamestop, which is also evil (what with Impulse DRM), and in two easy steps moralize yourself right out of the games hobby, leaving nothing but Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. Which are tainted by running on Windows, made by Microsoft, which is foisting GFWL on us.

There's just no way to have any confidence in the industry until every single company involved is boycotted into the fucking ground.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
    97. Re: Signed up! May 18, 2012, 20:48 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
    shinchan0s wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:15:
    I hate to say it, but Torchlight 2's graphics and classes are extremely unappealing. Torchlight felt like Titan's Quest. Too linear, crap skills, no background story. Blizzard's game manuals were chock full of lore - a very underrated aspect of Blizzard's "magic" IMO.

I'll try the stress test, of course, but... I dunno, man, can't get real excited.

I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    18. Re: FPS Then vs FPS Now. May 18, 2012, 20:10 Orogogus

It's not as if they don't have DOOM on smartphones and tablets and Xboxes and basically everywhere else nowadays. And there are shooters besides Call of Duty. I get the impression this guy must hate Half Life (linear, few if any secrets, lots of checkpoints).  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    15. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2012, 17:58 Orogogus

I got the same coupon. But I heard that the game itself was pretty lackluster.  

News Comments > On Sale
    29. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 14:10 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:31:
    The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

Yeah, I can't really help ya there.

Fair enough. My thinking is that if a game can be modded to create new gametypes, like TD, DotA or the obligatory zombie mod, then that's noteworthy. If it's limited to changing some in-game values, minor graphics additions, new guns, that kind of thing, then I can take it or leave it. Nice if it's there, no big deal if it's not. I like the Dead Space games, but I don't think any significant mods have come out of them.

929 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 29.
    < Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo