Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 995 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer
6. Re: Dead Space 3 E3 Trailer Jun 18, 2012, 11:59 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on Jun 17, 2012, 22:37:
The first two games were about 70% shooter, 30% survival-horror. DS3 looks to be 95% shooter, 5% survival-horror.

I thought there was a huge jump between DS1 and DS2 in this regard. DS2 is a very, very shooty game. There's like a tutorial and later maybe 10-20 minutes of wandering around residential areas then pow pow pow pow kerblam stomp stomp all the way to the end. But in any case it would be kind of dumb to make trailers and demos out of the survival horror bits; it's tantamount to spoiling the ending in your trailer.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; "Special" Announcement Nears
3. Re: Free Worlds of Ultima on GOG.com; Jun 18, 2012, 11:52 Orogogus

Creston wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:16:
Free is free, so obviously it's worth it to pick both of them up, but don't be fooled by the Ultima name in the games. Neither game has really anything to do with Ultima other than cheap name placements, and their quality is Worlds Below the actual Ultima games.

Creston

Well, there's the engine. It would be kind of weird to reuse any of the Ultimas' game engines in a non-Ultima game. SSI reused the Gold Box engine for their Buck Rogers games, and they ended up feeling a lot like D&D.

News Comments > Origin Sale; EA Calls Service "A Huge Success"
27. Re: Origin Sale; EA Calls Service Jun 18, 2012, 11:47 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:30:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:27:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:24:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:11:
Beamer wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 11:05:
ASeven wrote on Jun 18, 2012, 10:56:
Didn't Origin's boss said a few weeks ago they would never do deep discounts since it cheapens IP? Way to contradict yourself and be a hypocrite in a short time!

C'mon, this is a 40% off sale, you're going to say that's a "deep discount," relative to Steam, who does 75% off regularly?

Even you know better than that, but then again, you never jump on an opportunity to bash EA. Personally I don't find this hypocritical at all, nor do I find 40% off compelling enough to buy most of these games, let alone buy them on Origin over Steam...

You know what they say, you just lost a great chance to shut your mouth. Then again, any chance you take to spread misinformation and good stuff about the publishers you take it.

For those not reading the link, an example of deep discount: DA:O discounted by 90%.

Fine, that's a good link, but you're pulling pretty far with it. You called the guy a hypocrite for this particular sale, discussed in this particular thread, which is incorrect.

You should have put that link in your original post, and said "well, these discounts suck, but he hypocritically has already broken his 'no 75% off sales' with this DA:O sale."
Then you would have seen like less of a raving loon.

Stop digging. Really. You already are in a deep hole yourself. Not my fault you didn't even made the effort to compare the prices in origins and took word of mouth as fact. Then again, that's what you do always.

Also, this makes him a hypocrite. Last week he said discounts cheapen IP. This week he makes quite a deep discount on 18 titles. But I guess you're going to defend him even though it's indefensible but that's how you roll, publishers do no wrong.

THIS sale does not make him a hypocrite. THIS sale is 40% off. He specifically said 75% off.

Secondly, I'm still pretty certain you were calling 40% off hypocritical.
And I don't see a single sale over 40% right now, contrary to what theyarecomingforyou is saying. Even clicking "deals" shows just the 40% off. Clicking anything else is showing full price.

Ya. I mean, a) I couldn't care less about EA being hypocritical; the alternative was them being stupid, and hypocritical works better for me as a consumer, b) these deals are plain old meh and c) people are complaining about Spore being on sale (although it's not, in the US)? One of the big complaints about Origin is that their prices are terrible, and now I guess one one of the big complaints is going to be that their prices are too low. Yay gamers.

GOG complained about not being able to compete with Steam on sales I think last year, but now they have sales every weekend. I don't know why publishers seem so eager to trumpet the fact that their product is less competitive than the other guy's. It's not a PR move that works in their favor.

News Comments > StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm "99% Done"
11. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Jun 15, 2012, 23:25 Orogogus

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire
12. Re: Max Payne 3 Sales Pale Versus L.A. Noire Jun 15, 2012, 11:54 Orogogus

Max Payne (the first one) was on the Xbox and PS2, and they released it through the 360's online marketplace, too. The same for the second one, except they also released it recently for the PS3 marketplace.

Also, console players generally seem more receptive to third person shooters than the PC crowd.

News Comments > Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast
16. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast Jun 14, 2012, 20:18 Orogogus

Deepjay wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 18:32:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 11:52:
Really? Optimus Prime is in the game, and Cullen voiced him in the first game. I kind of took it for granted that he'd be back. The only voice actor in the list who wasn't in War for Cybertron is Gregg Berger -- he's not reprising his role, as WfC didn't have Grimlock in it.

Gregg Berger is reprising the role of Grimlock - as he was the original Grimlock voice actor in the cartoons. Having him in the game is awesomeeeee

Ah, didn't know that either. I hope he's more intelligent in the video game than he was in the TV show.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes
45. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes Jun 14, 2012, 16:34 Orogogus

RailWizard wrote on Jun 14, 2012, 16:26:
All of this toil for a game that doesn't really bring anything new compared to D2. For whatever small new thing there is now, there was one cut from diablo 2.

Not running in 800x600 counts for a lot.

7. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast Jun 14, 2012, 13:00 Orogogus

I, uh, know. It says so in Blue's post. I was just saying that I didn't consider his part to be news. They're making a Transformers game (specifically, a sequel to WfC), so I assume Optimus Prime's in it, and I assume that Peter Cullen will be voicing him. It was a given from the moment we knew there was going to be a sequel.  

3. Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Voice Cast Jun 14, 2012, 11:52 Orogogus

Really? Optimus Prime is in the game, and Cullen voiced him in the first game. I kind of took it for granted that he'd be back. The only voice actor in the list who wasn't in War for Cybertron is Gregg Berger -- he's not reprising his role, as WfC didn't have Grimlock in it.  

News Comments > Resonance Demo
2. Re: Resonance Demo Jun 13, 2012, 16:30 Orogogus

The Wadjet Eye is that Egyptian Eye of Horus thing.  

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
48. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 Orogogus

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:37:
Orogogus wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:00:
Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

So, they ignore their nationality in normal, general usage? If true, I find it very surprising. I mean, yes -- people in Europe or Asia might in some contexts will refer to themselves as European or Asian, but in normal general usage they think and refer to themselves as Germans, and Indians, or whatever.

My impression is that it's generally used when referring to populations rather than individuals, so yes, in the same sense that you would talk about Europeans or Asians. At an individual level they would refer to themselves by nationality, but in news or whatever they talk about goings-on in the Americas, and I've met some people who were slightly huffy about Americans appropriating the term for themselves.

I guess it might be an effect of having a lot of small countries who speak the same language (and I guess they don't like "South American" for whatever reason). The few Brazilians I know do use americano to refer to US citizens - Brazil's a fairly large country, and it's the only that speaks Portuguese instead of Spanish.

News Comments > Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas
46. Re: Diablo III Real-Money Auction House Launches in Americas Jun 13, 2012, 12:00 Orogogus

StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 08:56:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 07:34:
ochentay4 wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 06:44:
Sorry I was that hard. But some comments are really really stupid. If I'm a politically correct asshole for correcting someone who thinks that US Residents are the only AMERICANS in the fucking continent, then ok.

This is not meant as a provocation of any kind, I don't know the answer to this question: Are there residents of any country other than the US that actually refer to themselves as "Americans"? I assume people in Canada think of themselves as Canadians, in Mexico as Mexicans, in Columbia as Columbians, in Brazil as Brazilians, etc, etc..

And if it is "improper" in some way for residents of the US to call themselves "Americans" what should we call ourselves?

Exactly. Americans comes from the fact United Statsians sounds fucking retarded, and that America is in our country name. Mexico is not Mexico of America on a map.

The pretentious need to point out American could technically apply to over a dozen countries is just another example of people jumping to feel superior.

Well, it started when someone had apparently never heard of the term "Americas" before. It's a common term for international businesses to refer to North and South America together, as often these will be handled by a headquarters in the US while another HQ in Europe or Asia handles the other territories. Occasionally people use it for just North America (Canada, US, Mexico), because North is too long to type or something. But, eh; Penny Arcade made a big deal about the term once too.

Also, many South Americans do refer to themselves as Americans (americanos), and do say United Statsians (I forget the word here, something like estadounisen), which I guess sounds less terrible in Spanish.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
68. Re: Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC Jun 8, 2012, 12:23 Orogogus

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 11:53:
When does this start to fall under gambling regulations?

There would be a stronger argument if there were an entry fee, and the prize was known to be $100K instead of just something Peter Molyneux promises is super awesome, which he wants to see spread via social media. It's hard to think of anyone from whom something "truly amazing, absolutely unique" inspires less anticipation. I can see the SomethingAwful and Cracked photoshop contests already.

News Comments > FTL Closed Beta This Month
23. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 12:11 Orogogus

Graphics may be low on their priority list. Toady, the Dwarf Fortress guy, has basically no interest in working on graphics (or the interface), so if you gave him $200K he'd probably use it to better model plant root structures or erosion effects from local semi-arid climate conversion after large scale deforestation. To find out what they're working on you'd probably have to go to their forums, unless they keep up a blog.  

News Comments > Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale?
34. Re: Vivendi to Discuss Activision Sale? Jun 8, 2012, 12:01 Orogogus

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 10:15:
InBlack wrote on Jun 8, 2012, 04:53:
The kind that is impossible to explain to simpletons who clearly feel they need to hate for hate's sake alone. Diablo created a genre. You might not like the game or the genre, thats fine. But saying that Diablo = WoW clearly demonstrates either a lack of cognitive ability or a need to be an internet asshole.

I dunno. I think Rogue created the genre. Diablo fit pretty well into that category. All it lacked was randomly created levels.

Diablo probably has more in common with Telengard, as well as DND on mainframes which predated that. Compared to Rogue it was more equipment and stat oriented, had more spells, didn't have the randomly assigned scrolls and potions which are common in Rogue and Roguelikes, had a store level, didn't assign commands to every key on the keyboard, and it was real time. Rogue probably introduced item identification, though.

News Comments > John Carmack's VR Headset
28. Re: John Carmack's VR Headset Jun 7, 2012, 19:18 Orogogus

RailWizard wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 18:56:
Shataan wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 18:39:
TrackIR is cool. That is a given. VR headsets...... not .so much

Exactly. I made a longer post on slashdot, and mentioned the same thing.
Also I never said VR was completely useless, just that it will only be uselful for a handful of things. Exactly like TrackIR.

The only thing where I really see VR being particularly dire is FPSes where you have to walk around, which is a huge portion of the market. And for strategy games I don't see any particular benefit. But for simulations and action sims it could go a long way towards putting you in the cockpit instead of piloting by remote control. And if the cost is $500 instead of tens of thousands, it's pretty feasible for moderate enthusiasts, the kind of people who would get a TrackIR.

Carmack goes on for a bit on how badly the current crop sucks, though, and I think all his demo unit runs is DOOM 3, which is definitely an FPS and not ideal.

News Comments > Dark Souls PC Port Issues
48. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:32 Orogogus

Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 13:17:
I doubt getting some light DLC a month early or having $10 off the price will offset that for most users.

It might, if said user had both a PS3 and a PC (and didn't have the game yet). And if that's how it always went down then that would be that much more in favor of PCs over consoles. Except that this is a Japanese company, and in their home market hardly anyone games on a home desktop PC, but eh.

44. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 13:08 Orogogus

There was one guy here put off by the lack of exclusive PC content, but no, it's not the general complaint.

They're offering the same product as it runs on PS3, with the exclusive content a few months early. It will probably be $10 cheaper or maybe more if they're aware of the usual pricing for ports. If every game had at least this as a baseline there'd be that much less reason to own a console.

If they follow Capcom's lead then they'll just get better at it over time; or, if they follow Square's lead, they'll just dump the PC altogether.

News Comments > Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month
24. Re: Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month Jun 7, 2012, 12:34 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 12:29:
Verno wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 09:04:
I had to laugh when I used one of my dragon shouts on some bandit on a mountain and it literally blew him off like a cannonball into the horizon.

What? This sounds awesome!

It really does sound like the kind of thing, like levitation/flight in Daggerfall/Morrowind, that's going to piss people off it they "fix" it.

42. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Jun 7, 2012, 12:31 Orogogus

It's kind of hard to see the alternative, a console exclusive, doing much to help PC gaming, either. It's not like this is a PC developer abandoning their roots to go after console sales. And if it were a Japanese fanbase whining about the quality of a port of a Paradox or Total War game for consoles, handhelds, tablets, phones or whatever they use I'm sure I would hardly care, either.  

995 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo