Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 904 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter
6. Re: Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter May 17, 2012, 14:21 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:12:
It looks interesting... but just watching the video... what's up with the Starfield Screensaver / Star Trek Warp effect while he's moving? Obviously stars can't be shooting past the ship when he's flying by an asteroid. That really is bothering me.

The Independence War games had those lines, too, and Freespace, Wing Commander, X-Wing and Allegiance had weird space debris everywhere. I'm pretty sure they put it in because otherwise it's hard to tell how fast you're moving, or indeed if you're moving at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DayZ Modification for Arma II
46. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 21:00 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:50:
Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts.

Except on Steam. Valve sometimes does time sales to coincide with sales-boosters, like Portal 2 for $6.87 at the same time they released the level-building tools. And as much as Arma 2 is selling, there are a significant number of people balking at the price.

But I hardly think this decision is in Valve's hands.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
91. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 20:29 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:15:
Krovven wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:30:
Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:47:
I'm normally not a proponent for breaking the law, but if that is what happened (though frankly I doubt it is) then I say good on him.

Shame on you Prez. So much fucking hate about a goddamn video game, that you hope someone ruined everyone elses fun out of spite?

I may disagree with you on the whole idea that Diablo has to be a single-player experience, but shit like this just puts you in the same shit-pile as the rest of the trolls.

Sorry you feel that way, but I stand by it 100% regardless of how it makes you categorize me. And there's no hate involved; just cold, passionless logic. If people lose access to their game, to my mind the blame lies squarely on Blizzard for creating such a crappy system. I'm not being petty, though I admit I am being selfish. If enough people get screwed by Blizzard's always-online BS and stop supporting it for logical reasons, the industry will change back to one I would be happier with.

Come on- You're a smart guy. You had to know that hack attacks and Denial of Service attacks precluding you from playing at all were going to be a real possibility before going in. Whether they make me happy or not is irrelevant; the fact that Blizzard willingly put gamers at the risk of losing total access is their fault, not mine.

Lots of people want to play the game co-op with people over the Internet, though. Who should they be mad at?

87. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 19:22 Orogogus

ventry wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:03:
EVERYONE who bought this game is a MORON!!
I mean how many times are you going to BURN your fingers before you learn NOT to put them into the fire???
Un-freaking-believeable!

1:Pay for game with always-on DRM.
2:Bend over and take it up the arse!

Rinse and repeat.

Here, I'll spell it out for ya.
If you keep giving them your money they will keep doing this shit.
Is this simple enough for ya??
Masochists!

I feel like posts just yelling at people have the opposite of the intended effect. I know I find myself lingering over the purchase page almost every day, just thinking, deqer would be so angry -- this would be a new worst reason ever for his list -- before reminding myself that I have basically no interest in playing D3 (or TL2).

News Comments > Dreadline Unveiled
6. Re: Dreadline Unveiled May 16, 2012, 19:18 Orogogus

I can't get to those links at work, but I feel that enough time has passed since the sinking of the Titanic that it wouldn't be particularly sensitive. Do the interviews describe scenarios where your monsters eat Travyon Martin, or do you get to control Anders Breivik as one of your monsters?

There's a Carmageddon game in the works, too. I don't think there's much controversy when it's so obviously not relatable to the real world. Postal gets a little controversial but even that doesn't get buried. It probably nets them more publicity than bad press, if anything.

86. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 19:11 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:47:
J wrote on May 16, 2012, 07:32:
There is a screencap floating about of an Anonymous member saying he would DDOS Blizzard when D3 came out. Whether or not it has any bearing I know not.

http://s13.postimage.org/5hlny3r5z/4chan_DDOS.png

I'm normally not a proponent for breaking the law, but if that is what happened (though frankly I doubt it is) then I say good on him. I hope it keeps happening to teach people why always-on singleplayer gamimg is a terrible concept.

You could do the same thing to teach people that multiplayer games are a terrible concept, too.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
31. Re: Avoiding Taxes May 16, 2012, 17:06 Orogogus

And also that he hasn't lived in the US since 2009. I guess I'd be pretty ticked off if he was still residing in the US, but if he's in Singapore and not coming back then it would seem to be his prerogative.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2012, 14:00 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 16, 2012, 13:34:
The issues will eventually go away when people stop trying to play, which is exactly what Activision wants.

I expect that they're hoping that the issues will go away when people are done downloading the client all at once, rather than not trying to play any more.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2012, 12:56 Orogogus

Ya; I said in so many words that the model was untenable. The problem isn't that the commercials aren't good enough. A really clever commercial will just end up on YouTube where people can watch it at leisure and share it. Nothing is going to make people sit through it the way the advertisers intend.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2012, 12:46 Orogogus

Verno wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:08:
Hyatus wrote on May 16, 2012, 12:01:
So the answer is to make clever commercials for you to skip over?

Maybe he wouldn't skip them if they were appealing instead of an annoyance, hence make clever commercials instead of Yet Another Tampon Ad.

As Beamer said, no commercial remains clever the 40th time. A commercial would have to be pretty damn outstanding to be worth watching a 4th time. The basic model is untenable if people have the option to skip.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
230. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 22:41 Orogogus

Jerykk wrote on May 15, 2012, 22:26:
Orogogus wrote on May 15, 2012, 22:08:
ASeven wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:59:
Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:44:
I can understand being pissed about not being able to play your game in Singleplayer because of some shit with the servers you have no interest in being connected to (which is mainly why I am not buying D3), but let's have some perspective here. Lawsuits? Really? Do we really need to clog up our already completely borked legal system with lawsuits over a game? How about we save our litigation for things like medical malpractice and negligence resulting in injury or destruction of property?

Truth be told, sometimes the way to force change of the good kind is to go litigious on their asses.

When there's real harm being done, or the company is abusing a monopoly position. This seems more like initiating a lawsuit against a developer because you don't like quick time events, or the default field of view, or menus that aren't mouse-friendly enough. The way to force change here is to get people not to buy the game. It's not like Blizzard has the kind of stranglehold that Microsoft or Apple has. What case is there to be made here?

This isn't a case of not liking a particular feature. This is a case of not being able to play the game you paid for due to developer/publisher incompetence. Granted, the game's only been out for a day but it's still unacceptable.

There's "unacceptable" as thrown around on a message board and "unacceptable" in a court of law. Well, whatever. Good luck with the lawsuit.

227. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 22:08 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:59:
Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:44:
I can understand being pissed about not being able to play your game in Singleplayer because of some shit with the servers you have no interest in being connected to (which is mainly why I am not buying D3), but let's have some perspective here. Lawsuits? Really? Do we really need to clog up our already completely borked legal system with lawsuits over a game? How about we save our litigation for things like medical malpractice and negligence resulting in injury or destruction of property?

Truth be told, sometimes the way to force change of the good kind is to go litigious on their asses.

When there's real harm being done, or the company is abusing a monopoly position. This seems more like initiating a lawsuit against a developer because you don't like quick time events, or the default field of view, or menus that aren't mouse-friendly enough. The way to force change here is to get people not to buy the game. It's not like Blizzard has the kind of stranglehold that Microsoft or Apple has. What case is there to be made here?

219. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 21:17 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on May 15, 2012, 20:56:
I'm not sure why they wouldn't. "Hey, I gave them $60. I can't use the product I bought." I think we've developed some kind of pathos in gaming that "this is just the way it is, deal with it." No, we are buying a product, and when you buy a product, you hand over money and you are entitled to a working product. When DRM is heavy handed like this, it seems some people are projecting the MMO model onto the single player model. "Well, it's release day, expect some problems." No...don't expect problems. There are only problems because of the DRM path they chose. They could easily make it so single player works in offline mode without access to multiplayer and the trade house. But they chose not to. That's a design flaw. This DRM is like having OnStar phone GM each time you start your car. "Hey, I need to verify I own this car...can you deactivate the remote disable so I can go to work?" "Sorry sir, there are some problems with our servers right now...we hope to have it resolved in 3-4 hours." Why the heck would you make your theft deterrent work that way? Obviously they didn't because it's stupid.

Even then I don't know that there would be grounds for an actual lawsuit, if it was made well known ahead of time. It would probably lose sales, but I don't see that there's a law being broken. But people would be late to work and/or fired, and there would be damages for that. A video game can't really make that stretch.

It's not that you pay $60 and you can't use the product you bought; it's that it's down for 3 or 4 hours on the launch day, and however often it happens thereafter. Lots of products (say, phones) have similar issues with downtime. You're just arguing that Blizzard could have made it so their game didn't have to deal with these issues for its singleplayer mode, which doesn't sound to me like something that's super defensible in court. It's not putting anyone in the hospital, it's not as if you actually have a product that's going to be broken more than it works, and it's fairly well advertised.

I own a lot of products which suck a lot more than they have to, but that's not lawsuit material in and of itself. The idea behind not letting companies get away with this is to not buy what they're offering, not to go to court because they're offering a product you don't like.

215. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 15, 2012, 20:41 Orogogus

Saboth wrote on May 15, 2012, 20:33:
Nothing will change until we start seeing some lawsuits. You buy a single player game, you should be able to play it. MMOs are a completely different story because you need servers to play with other people. The problem is, many companies (like Blizzard) toss in a few online components (like the trade house) and try and weasel around the issue.

I don't see how there could possibly be a case unless you could convincingly argue that Blizzard was somehow misrepresenting the online requirement, when in fact people have been arguing about it nonstop for months. I just can't imagine a court caring about the difference between singleplayer and multiplayer games, or being sympathetic to the right to play singleplayer games offline.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
19. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 15:10 Orogogus

I was just curious, since I usually check these things.

It isn't apparent here, as your second link precedes your first one, and gives the impression that the poster already knew it was from the think tank, he just thought it should have been flagged as advertising, not that it hadn't been attributed. The first link doesn't have the right tone, either; his problem is with the tank's backers, not a lack of attribution.

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 12:07 Orogogus

Which one? I still don't seem to see it. Near the bottom of the first page jfgilbert's posts seem to have already leapfrogged to noting the think tank's supporters and asking Ars not to post any more think tank articles without flagging them as advertisements.  

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 10:49 Orogogus

Dades wrote on May 13, 2012, 09:55:
Orogogus wrote on May 13, 2012, 04:29:
I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

The article wasn't changed until two users pointed it out in their comments and only after that did they say they were aware.

Did they delete those two comments? Like I said, I didn't see them. The first few comments that mention it seem to be pointing out the think tank's backing, rather than to say it's not attributed. Also, one of the Ars Technica guy's only responses is to say that they were clear about who wrote it.

News Comments > Binary Domain Demo
18. Re: Binary Domain Demo May 13, 2012, 04:39 Orogogus

And to bring up the Max Payne example again, if the point is to make a John Woo style cinematic game, it's kind of key to be able to see your guy doing sideways leaps firing his dual-wielded guns in slow motion.  

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 13, 2012, 04:29 Orogogus

I don't see any complaints in their comments, and it looks like they were aware early on.

"Uncapped" is what we call the internet the US and the rest of the first world has had forever.

I get the impression, just from occasional comments here, that Canada and Australia/New Zealand get capped pretty damn badly.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Video Blowout
23. Re: MechWarrior Online Video Blowout May 10, 2012, 16:46 Orogogus

Regarding maps, I really didn't like that in the map they were demoing on (most clearly in the Assault 'Mech demo), there was this smallish chasm with a completely fake looking rock bridge going over it. Would it really be that bad to give 'Mechs with jump jets that edge?  

904 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo