Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Orogogus

Real Name Orogogus   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 22, 2003, 03:15
Total Comments 917 (Graduate)
User ID 16241

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Hacking?
109. Re: Diablo III Hacking? May 21, 2012, 18:14 Orogogus

eunichron wrote on May 21, 2012, 18:08:
MadBoris wrote on May 21, 2012, 16:49:
  • Graphics resources kept within console resource limits by way of some decent art tricks, some say it's the most amazing graphics they have ever seen, fps performance is high.

• While the graphics aren't technically advanced, Blizzard has always had great artists that are able to hide that fact.

I don't know that it's even to keep it within console limits. Historically WoW, Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were not resource-intensive games, and were able to run on a huge number of budget computers (although I gather that at some point WoW became more of a computer hog). When Starcraft came out my aging system was able to run the gameplay fine, but choked on the cutscenes.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013
    15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines in February 2013 May 21, 2012, 18:09 Orogogus

wtf_man wrote on May 21, 2012, 17:57:
    Beelzebud wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:56:
    wtf_man wrote on May 21, 2012, 11:49:
    I thought this was supposed to be an RPG, not an FPS. (I mean hybrid like Deus Ex)

Obsidian was developing an Aliens RPG, but Sega pulled the plug on it a year or two ago.

Yes, But I didn't know that they changed the whole game from an RPG to a Shooter.

I think the point is that they weren't changed, they were 2 different games. The RPG by Obsidian (canceled) and the FPS, Colonial Marines, by Gearbox. Both were announced in Dec. 2006.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
    148. Re: Signed up! May 21, 2012, 17:09 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:58:
    Orogogus wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:48:
    ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
    I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

If the beta is an indication, oh yes very much so.

Just want to note that I was underwhelmed on this front in the stress test. As far as atmosphere and storyline goes, I thought it was maybe one step above free Flash games. For reference, did you like the opening cinematic they released a few weeks ago?

News Comments > Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games
    26. Re: Origin Woos Crowd-Funded Games May 19, 2012, 08:05 Orogogus

Steam is barely acceptable, but there should probably be a timeout period after which the game should be offered without DRM.

Haha, weak-willed compromiser.

At this level of vitriolic extremism, just crank it up a notch and take the crusade to Steam DRM (which is basically the same as Origin DRM), and also against Gamestop, which is also evil (what with Impulse DRM), and in two easy steps moralize yourself right out of the games hobby, leaving nothing but Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. Which are tainted by running on Windows, made by Microsoft, which is foisting GFWL on us.

There's just no way to have any confidence in the industry until every single company involved is boycotted into the fucking ground.

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
    97. Re: Signed up! May 18, 2012, 20:48 Orogogus

ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:43:
    shinchan0s wrote on May 18, 2012, 20:15:
    I hate to say it, but Torchlight 2's graphics and classes are extremely unappealing. Torchlight felt like Titan's Quest. Too linear, crap skills, no background story. Blizzard's game manuals were chock full of lore - a very underrated aspect of Blizzard's "magic" IMO.

I'll try the stress test, of course, but... I dunno, man, can't get real excited.

I always find these type of comments deliciously ironic because the devs making T2 are the same ones that made D1 and 2, therefore they are the ones that built Diablo as the powerhouse it is today.

Whoever made it, Torchlight really did have an utterly bland background. Is this something they're going to improve on in T2?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
    18. Re: FPS Then vs FPS Now. May 18, 2012, 20:10 Orogogus

It's not as if they don't have DOOM on smartphones and tablets and Xboxes and basically everywhere else nowadays. And there are shooters besides Call of Duty. I get the impression this guy must hate Half Life (linear, few if any secrets, lots of checkpoints).  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2012, 17:58 Orogogus

I got the same coupon. But I heard that the game itself was pretty lackluster.  

News Comments > On Sale
    29. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 14:10 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:31:
    The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre.

Yeah, I can't really help ya there.

Fair enough. My thinking is that if a game can be modded to create new gametypes, like TD, DotA or the obligatory zombie mod, then that's noteworthy. If it's limited to changing some in-game values, minor graphics additions, new guns, that kind of thing, then I can take it or leave it. Nice if it's there, no big deal if it's not. I like the Dead Space games, but I don't think any significant mods have come out of them.

News Comments > On Sale
    25. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 12:21 Orogogus

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 11:57:
    Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

I can't speak for the others but TL had a huge mod following, including some released by the devs themselves.

What did they do? I probably got my $5 worth, but I didn't get through the game before I started thinking, programming some kind of bot to play the game for me would be more fun than actually playing it. Come to think of it, a scripting engine like that would be the kind of mod I could really get behind.

After going to Google, I took a look at http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/downloads.php/. I guess it's about what I expected. Items, vendors, pets, rebalancing, etc. The problem may be that I'm just not a huge fan of the genre. Fun enough in co-op, but Progress Quest is the only thing I can think of when I'm playing solo. Consequently I'm browsing through 800 TL mods and just thinking, meh.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots
    40. Re: Unreal 4 Details & Screenshots May 18, 2012, 12:08 Orogogus

WaltC wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:07:
    Beamer wrote on May 18, 2012, 09:14:

Hard facts and data like the average Xbox 360 age being 35-44?
    http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/23/new-study-compares-360-ps3-consumers/

Hey, let's keep calling everyone that does something we don't like "kiddies!" I hate those Olive Garden Kiddies, and those Japanese Luxury Car Kiddies, and those Grapefruit Juice Kiddies!

LoL...;) Joystiq says the research done is "somewhat sparse" and then links to "earthtimes.org", which is, of course, an environmental rag with apparently a lot of hate for human beings and computer technology--but that's beside the point, anyway. The point was that the joystiq link only returns a "page not found" error, instead of the actual survey. But I guess you didn't try to read the actual article the joystiq article is based on. They may correct the error, but as of 2 minutes ago, that's what you get when you follow the joystiq link. I make it a habit to always follow such links just to see if the article is honest about what it reports the *other article* said...;)
    The Joystiq article states that the research was done by the Experian Group, which is a well known industry research provider. Their reports are extremely not free, and this one was probably not supposed to be posted online. But the title of the report shows up in Google search, and I don't really have any reason to doubt the 35-44 number.

News Comments > On Sale
    22. Re: On Sale May 18, 2012, 11:53 Orogogus

Creston wrote on May 18, 2012, 01:08:
    Frahg wrote on May 17, 2012, 21:39:
    It's all because of the supposedly awesome Day Z mod. Zombie survival, check it out: dayzmod.com

And this is why NOT supporting mods is the dumbest fucking thing you can do.

*looks at Blizzard, and several others.*

Creston

Some games are more suitable than others. I'd think Blizzard would actually have a reputation for being relatively mod-friendly, what with tower defense and Defense of the Ancients both coming out of their games. Item mods aside, Diablo 3 seems only slightly more suitable than an adventure game. Were there great mods for D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight or others in the genre?

News Comments > Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter
    10. Re: Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter May 17, 2012, 16:37 Orogogus

Well, evidently people like space debris better (I always found that stuff weird, personally). But after watching the Skywatcher video, it is jarring that the lines are still flying straight at the camera when the ship is turning. I thought they were indicators of the direction of velocity (which was really important in Independence War, which also had something like a toggleable large computer-overlaid ribbon indicator of the ship's movement), but they don't seem to be.  

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Passes 1M Downloads
    81. Re: Tribes: Ascend Passed 1M Downloads May 17, 2012, 14:23 Orogogus

Jackplug wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:13:
    T:A has the physics is all wrong for a Tribes game. It seems that if you are travelling fast in one direction and then fly upwards off a ramp, then try to steer left you cant cos of the momentum and you fly away from you intended target. When playing Tribes 1, you had very good control when doing the same thing.

Useless none listening devs as usual, who noob the game so everyone can play it without having high learning curve..

From the way you describe it, the T:A method would be the higher learning curve.

News Comments > Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter
    6. Re: Skyjacker Demo & Kickstarter May 17, 2012, 14:21 Orogogus

MacLeod wrote on May 17, 2012, 14:12:
    It looks interesting... but just watching the video... what's up with the Starfield Screensaver / Star Trek Warp effect while he's moving? Obviously stars can't be shooting past the ship when he's flying by an asteroid. That really is bothering me.

The Independence War games had those lines, too, and Freespace, Wing Commander, X-Wing and Allegiance had weird space debris everywhere. I'm pretty sure they put it in because otherwise it's hard to tell how fast you're moving, or indeed if you're moving at all.

News Comments > DayZ Modification for Arma II
    46. Re: DayZ Modification for Arma II May 16, 2012, 21:00 Orogogus

Mad Max RW wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:50:
    Typically a game doesn't go on sale when it's on top of the sales charts.

Except on Steam. Valve sometimes does time sales to coincide with sales-boosters, like Portal 2 for $6.87 at the same time they released the level-building tools. And as much as Arma 2 is selling, there are a significant number of people balking at the price.

But I hardly think this decision is in Valve's hands.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
    91. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 20:29 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 20:15:
    Krovven wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:30:
    Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:47:
    I'm normally not a proponent for breaking the law, but if that is what happened (though frankly I doubt it is) then I say good on him.

Shame on you Prez. So much fucking hate about a goddamn video game, that you hope someone ruined everyone elses fun out of spite?

I may disagree with you on the whole idea that Diablo has to be a single-player experience, but shit like this just puts you in the same shit-pile as the rest of the trolls.

Sorry you feel that way, but I stand by it 100% regardless of how it makes you categorize me. And there's no hate involved; just cold, passionless logic. If people lose access to their game, to my mind the blame lies squarely on Blizzard for creating such a crappy system. I'm not being petty, though I admit I am being selfish. If enough people get screwed by Blizzard's always-online BS and stop supporting it for logical reasons, the industry will change back to one I would be happier with.

Come on- You're a smart guy. You had to know that hack attacks and Denial of Service attacks precluding you from playing at all were going to be a real possibility before going in. Whether they make me happy or not is irrelevant; the fact that Blizzard willingly put gamers at the risk of losing total access is their fault, not mine.

Lots of people want to play the game co-op with people over the Internet, though. Who should they be mad at?

87. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 19:22 Orogogus

ventry wrote on May 16, 2012, 19:03:
    EVERYONE who bought this game is a MORON!!
    I mean how many times are you going to BURN your fingers before you learn NOT to put them into the fire???
    Un-freaking-believeable!

1:Pay for game with always-on DRM.
    2:Bend over and take it up the arse!

Rinse and repeat.

Here, I'll spell it out for ya.
    If you keep giving them your money they will keep doing this shit.
    Is this simple enough for ya??
    Masochists!

I feel like posts just yelling at people have the opposite of the intended effect. I know I find myself lingering over the purchase page almost every day, just thinking, deqer would be so angry -- this would be a new worst reason ever for his list -- before reminding myself that I have basically no interest in playing D3 (or TL2).

News Comments > Dreadline Unveiled
    6. Re: Dreadline Unveiled May 16, 2012, 19:18 Orogogus

I can't get to those links at work, but I feel that enough time has passed since the sinking of the Titanic that it wouldn't be particularly sensitive. Do the interviews describe scenarios where your monsters eat Travyon Martin, or do you get to control Anders Breivik as one of your monsters?

There's a Carmageddon game in the works, too. I don't think there's much controversy when it's so obviously not relatable to the real world. Postal gets a little controversial but even that doesn't get buried. It probably nets them more publicity than bad press, if anything.

86. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 19:11 Orogogus

Prez wrote on May 16, 2012, 18:47:
    J wrote on May 16, 2012, 07:32:
    There is a screencap floating about of an Anonymous member saying he would DDOS Blizzard when D3 came out. Whether or not it has any bearing I know not.

http://s13.postimage.org/5hlny3r5z/4chan_DDOS.png

I'm normally not a proponent for breaking the law, but if that is what happened (though frankly I doubt it is) then I say good on him. I hope it keeps happening to teach people why always-on singleplayer gamimg is a terrible concept.

You could do the same thing to teach people that multiplayer games are a terrible concept, too.

31. Re: Avoiding Taxes May 16, 2012, 17:06 Orogogus

And also that he hasn't lived in the US since 2009. I guess I'd be pretty ticked off if he was still residing in the US, but if he's in Singapore and not coming back then it would seem to be his prerogative.  

917 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 29.
    < Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo